Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalix
May 8, 2009

Corbet posted:

I've only had my MacBook Air for the past 6 months and I've already ordered a Sand Bridge model. It's definitely worth trading up for.

Have you sold your Air yet? What did you have and what are you replacing with?

I've got an ultimate 13" and I'm not sure exactly how much processor speed boost we're talking here.

I also wonder if I should just wait until next cycle since I got this right when the Pros came out this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalix
May 8, 2009

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

A lot, especially under load when Turbo Boost kicks in.

Yeah, it'll be interesting to see the Anand review when it comes out.

I also just realized they're doing 4GB Ram stock.

I'm jealous of the idea of Thunderbolt + the Display for awesome docking (not that I have the funds right now to do that).

I wonder how much I would get if i sold my Air, anyone have any ideas?

Kalix
May 8, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

100% for the 13" and 150% faster for the 11", as far as Geekbench scores go.

What about Relative to the 2.13ghz?

Kalix
May 8, 2009
Pipebomb or anyone else: How does the Logitech K750 compare to the Apple BT keyboard.

I ordered one for my Air but i'm still a bit unsure -- It's backordered so must be popular.
Also slightly worried about the 'plasticky' feel.

Kalix
May 8, 2009
With so many of you with the new Macbook Airs, how many of you are using it as a primary machine?

I'm still saving for a nicer external display, but my 2010 has been still holding steady in that regard...no major processing happening though.

I've always been tempted by the iMac but I almost feel it would be redundant - they just look awesome :fap:

Only downside is I feel that Mission Control is slower than spaces and Expose ever was. Not sure if that's just me.

Kalix
May 8, 2009

The Air is my primary machine for day-to-day stuff. I use my 27" iMac for photo and video editing, games, and watching stuff. They're really quite complimentary for my purposes.

Do most of you run your games in Windows?

I basically would do the same thing if I had the iMac...except the photo and video editing part. Which is a huge difference - since it's then just media consumption.

Huge price to pay for that, but on the other hand:

Mu Zeta posted:

You can buy a 27" iMac with the exact same TB Display for $300 more than the cost of the display. Is it really worth selling your whole iMac?

This is the other thing - I like screen real estate, and when I update the Air next year it will have Thunderbolt. So a Thunderbolt display would go nicely with it, but as you point out you could drat near get a second powerful computer.

I guess I find myself more 'disorganized' when I run two machines...but maybe that's just my inherent lack of file organization.

So does Target Display mode work with the new iMacs? I guess it's still a moot point since it'd probably just be easier to let the iMac be more than a display since it has more juice behind it.

Kalix
May 8, 2009
What's the re-sale value like on the 13inch Macbook Air?
I have a 2010 Ultimate (2.13ghz CPU, 256 SSD etc).

E-bay comes up with varying numbers - $1,100 to all the way to 800.
Any ideas?

I'm debating selling since this is a C2D model and Ivy Bridge compared to this model should offer a significant performance boost.

Bad timing on my part when I purchased it , since they released the i5 models 3 months after.
Any thoughts on the performance increases the Air will see?

Kalix
May 8, 2009

chupacabraTERROR posted:

One minor gripe: clicking on the trackpad makes a pretty loud noise when I'm on skype/facetime. It seems to annoy the hell out of people I'm videochatting with. I've just enabled one-touch to click in the trackpad settings so it's not a major issue but just annoying.

I pretty much just use one-touch click exclusively -- using non-Apple trackpads is now akward.

Question for anyone who can help: I've got a 2010 MBA (The one with Nvidia 320M) and it's the maxed out version.

When plugged into an external monitor, is having the laptop open as a second monitor using a lot of memory? Do most of you keep your screen shut as you use the laptop as a desktop (so to speak)?

I'm noticing lag -- but was wondering if it's simply more pixels to power, more lag. Hence, close the screen..

As an aside..spaces/mission control does a reasonable job of emulating a multi monitor setup.

Kalix
May 8, 2009
I have a 2010 MBA maxed out (4gb ram, 2.1ghz). I use it as my primary computer; my page outs tend to be upwards of 6 gigs on a regular basis. I tend to have a lot of stuff running at once (tabs, pdfs, occasional adobe stuff)
I want more ram, and a new processor couldn't hurt either.

The form factor of the Air has been great - but I wouldn't mind the bigger/nicer screen of a retina and processing power.

Trying to decide: rMBP vs Macbook Pro 15 vs Macbook Air 13

The other option is to wait; I feel like I just bought this thing and don't want to upgrade unless it's significant.

Kalix
May 8, 2009

Shmoogy posted:

Next gen Haswell intel CPUs are supposed to be another big leap with integrated graphics-- a great time to enjoy a laptop as your only system.

Yeah, and one theory is that Nvidia and AMD are going to have to lower prices in the budget graphics segment to keep competitive.

http://uk.hardware.info/news/29388/intel-haswell-gpu-chip-3x-faster-than-ivy-bridge-gpu

I almost pulled the trigger on an rMBP, but I'm going to try to hold off on purchasing until Haswell -- perhaps Retina will have permeated other models by then.

Kalix
May 8, 2009

a bad poster yall posted:

I just bought a 2012 Air with discount with the intention of selling next year for a MBPr

That's not a bad idea..not sure how much I'l l get back for my 2010 Air -- I imagine the upgrade speedwise will make it worth it.

Though i've heard the Air's have a worse resale value compared to the Macbook Pros. Not sure how true that is.

Kalix
May 8, 2009

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

After buying my MBA I realized there's no situation I'd really rather use my iPad instead of either my phone or Air so I sold it,

Do you have the 11inch or 13inch?

What about the rest of you who are selling or considering selling your iPads?

Personally, I have the older 13inch Air -- and my iPad has been staying home a lot. I use it for reading and surfing in bed, looking at articles and the like.

When I was studying for tests it was nice, and made me realize that when I head back into school I'll keep it.
Having all your books and various PDFS, references, quickly available was awesome.

I know people in school who are using apps to write and simultaneously type on the iPad with the bluetooth keyboard.
Seems to work reasonably well for those who really want the ability to mark up a PDF/Lecture.

Given this use, i'd still opt for the larger IPad..approaches a full screen of paper. Plus it doesn't hurt for watching netflix in bed.

Kalix
May 8, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

Remove Flash and use Safari.

Why does Safari affect battery life?

Would be hard to ditch Chrome..

Kalix
May 8, 2009

x-virge posted:

Keep in mind that things like MagicPrefs and BetterTouchTool completely short-circuit Apple's touch drivers. So scrolling issues like that are more reflective of MagicPrefs than they are of the Magic Mouse and Apple's touch recognizers.

Does BetterTouchTool really screw things up?

I've noticed I've had to restart it every once in a while, but I've had it going since I ever got my Mac.

In fact I thought it was one of the coolest 'features' of a Mac before I had one.

Kalix
May 8, 2009

x-virge posted:

It's not so much that it screws things up—it's just that you have to understand you're now running some guy's attempt at interpreting gestures, not Apple's. Some things just won't work as well. But if it works for you, it works for you.

And I wouldn't judge a Magic Mouse's ability to scroll based off of some guy's gesture interpreter rather than Apple's.

But it only takes 'effect' when I program a gesture, correct? So if I don't have any conflicts with the Apple gestures, it should be fine?
Or does it override the Apple built in ones.

I have some cool ones, like three fingers click followed by a fourth finger tap is to close a window.

They've become very ingrained.

Kalix
May 8, 2009
Can a 15inch rMBP drive two external monitors reasonably well? Or would I be asking for trouble.

I want to get more screen real esate, and am debating between just putting together a Hackintosh and keeping my Air, or upgrading to the rMBP 15inch. Or I could just go new iMac.

One laptop is less 'fuss' but I've heard the GPU on the 15inch has a tough time with just it's own display, so it's hard for me to see it driving 2 other displays while simultaneously driving its own.

Suggestions?

Kalix
May 8, 2009

Mercurius posted:

It works perfectly fine if you've got the MBP in clamshell mode. If you've got the retina screen on as well as the external monitors it will start to choke a bit on swiping between spaces and when moving windows around but it's still usable. I haven't tried it with 3 monitors as well as the retina screen but it seemed to handle a Thunderbolt Display and a Dell 27" at the same time just fine.

Good to know about the rMBP. It can also drive 3 external screens in clamshell, right?

Do you find the lack of a focal point with dual monitors kind of awkward? When I use two, I had one larger monitor and one smaller one -- the larger being the natural focal point.

Kalix
May 8, 2009
Is the 15inch rmbp likely to get a graphics bump (or was there one in this last spec bump?)

I was holding out selling my Air for a rmbp - not even sure if the 15inch is worth the jump over the 13. I do like the idea of a retina screen though..

Anyone else make this switch?

Edit: Part of the reason for the swtich is i want to run multiple monitors, often I like to have something on netflix in the background while surfing or working.
The air can do this, but barely - it's 2010 Core 2 Duo...

Kalix fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Mar 17, 2013

Kalix
May 8, 2009
Finally ready to upgrade my 2010 Air.
I'm debating the 13inch rmbp or the 15inch rmpb.
Was debating going to the 15inch since I tend to read/view a couple of things at once. Not sure of the net benefit here considering the the native resolutions are equivalent.
I've noticed I like bigger text - I tend to zoom things in on the Air.
Is there a comparison of the power of Iris Pro to Iris?

I notice I get a lot of Swap Used and Page outs. In 3 days it's been about 3gb for each.
I'm considering upgrading to 16gb on this purchase -- would this be overkill?

I guess I'm glad I waited because of the battery life improvements -- I wonder if the battery life stats of the new pros factor in Mavericks.

Kalix
May 8, 2009

All of my local Apple Stores are showing stock for the new rMBPs. :ohdear:

I'm so tempted!

Are you eyeing the 13 or the 15"?

gucci void main posted:

Just upgraded from a 15" early 2013/2nd gen RMBP to the mid-tier 13" RMBP

Was the loss of screen size a big deal for you?
I imagine the bigger deal would be the quad core if you needed it - I'm was eyeing the 15 for the screen. But i'm thinking if I opt for 13, I could use the rest on a nice external monitor or even a thunderbolt display eventually..

Kalix
May 8, 2009
Is it absolutely ridiculous to spring for the 15" if I do not really need the power?
By that I mean I want the screen real estate and resolution. I'm realizing 13" is not enough 'space'. At home I would spring for the external monitor, but I tend to work out of the house a lot.
I'm noticing my vision isn't what it once was and i zoom a lot more on text that i'm reading.

Not sure if it's me but 10+ hours a day on the 13" can sometimes be a bit straining.
Do most of you just use an external monitor somewhere ?

Kalix
May 8, 2009
Picked up the 15inch Retina. I'm impressed as to how easy it was to transfer all the data from my old computer.

I think I made the right choice, given my need for a larger viewing area -- but my wallet hurts for it.

Kalix
May 8, 2009

PRADA SLUT posted:

Is the new $2600 MBP "a good deal" or is is just way too expensive for what you get? (I can get it for $2400 with a Edu discount)

I'm torn between video performance mainly between the 650M and Iris Pro. Is there a real-world comparison? I don't play a lot, but things like Dota, Starcraft, Diablo, and CounterStrike.

I was in the same boat; I went top-end mainly because I wanted the HD space and RAM, and upgrading those on the base version made it better to make the jump.

Kalix
May 8, 2009

Secht posted:

Last few years, I've gone 11in Air, 15in RMBPro, 11in Air, 13in Air, 11in Air. I should have just stuck to the 11in Air. The rumored 12 inch is very intriguing, the 11 inch for me is drat near perfect. I just want slightly more screen real-estate.

What do you do with your Air typically? You don't find it too constraining ?

I had the 13inch Air for a while (2010 model) and then upgraded to the 15inch rmbp. I like it -- I felt like I wanted more screen space more than anything else, and I was often on the go. But the price I paid was hefty and I'm not sure I'd do it again. It's a great machine, functions well -- but if I didn't do so much stuff outside of my house, I may have just stuck with a smaller size. I just felt If i spend so much time staring at a screen, it might as well be a nice screen (I tend to study off the computer a lot).

While the computer isn't heavy at all, i do miss out on the small form factor. I notice I baby this computer a LOT - i want to keep it plugged, keep the cycles low on the battery and I'm generally more paranoid about using it as a true portable (it moves from desk at home to desk to desk in another location).
Might be because of how much I spent..

Kalix
May 8, 2009

Secht posted:

So I will occasionally connect it to a 24in monitor, but honestly I use it around 90% of the time without monitor. The battery life on the Hazwell version is a dream.

Yeah, I think I was worried I was going blind with the 13inch and 1440 x 900, and splitting two docs across the screen (e.g a word document on one half and a pdf on the other or something to that effect). Not sure if you ever do this on the 11inch?

Poor reasoning for a 15inch, but I think subconsciously I reverted back to "I want the fastest computer possible damnit, this way I can play the occasional game." of course the games I play are like 8 years old and I play them once every 6 months but whatever.

Most of the time, if I need to look at two docs I just use spaces or mission control (one doc on each).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalix
May 8, 2009

Mad Wack posted:

Backblaze is really good for mac backup - it's a native prefpane instead of that java monstrosity crashplan uses.

I'm a big fan of backblaze. it's my main cloud backup -- I use a time machine HD that's at home. I probably need to get a third backup...but haven't gotten around to it.