Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sasquatch!
Nov 18, 2000

Wow, the Mini is actually a contender for a "real" computer. I mean, a Core 2 in the Year of Our Lord 2011 was just dumb. But with an i5? Pretty tempting as a second / HTPC computer. Might even pick one up to try to transition music recording over to it from PC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sasquatch!
Nov 18, 2000

El Jackalope posted:

I didn't ask about the i7's, sorry, but the i5s are definitely available.

Edit: I did a CCC update of my MBP's backup and am now using Migration Assistant to transfer much of my info from the backup to my new MBA. I'm happy it's working. :unsmith:
Would like to hear a trip report on what you think of the Mini. :) I can't imagine why an i5 - even with integrated video - wouldn't be more than enough for HTPC usage.

Sasquatch!
Nov 18, 2000

Any reason to not buy a Mac off of amazon versus from the Apple Store (or even a retail store)? Seems like you can get stuff slightly cheaper with Amazon's Prime.

Sasquatch!
Nov 18, 2000

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

If you're shopping for an Air, it's not on refurb as of the last time I checked (some time last week).

I'll add this to the OP since it gets asked a lot.
Cool info, thanks. Amazon ahoy!
(And it'll be a Mini, which I haven't seen on the refurb page since the new upgrade.)

Sasquatch!
Nov 18, 2000

I'm really hoping for a refresh/update on the Mac Mini. I don't need an all-in-one with a monitor and the Mac Pro is horrendously overpriced.

Sasquatch!
Nov 18, 2000

Mu Zeta posted:

If they update the Mac Mini they will just put the iPad Air into a box the size of a credit card.
Yeah. I get that Mini users aren't their target audience, but I just want a "normal" Mac desktop without the need for a monitor, so here's to hoping though. If they don't, then I might just end up with the 13" Air or a Macbook Pro. Guess I'll see!

Sasquatch!
Nov 18, 2000

A mini boost would be great. I run my home recording studio on a Mini meaning I don't care about powerful graphics, I'd just like better CPU/RAM options. The iMac isn't an option because I don't want an all-in-one with a screen, and the Mac Pro is stupidly overpriced with a terrible form factor. I think the assumption is that people who want a good MIni are looking for a "cheap" computer, but for me, the tiny form factor is the biggest selling point.

Am I alone? Is there still a market for the Mini do you think? I personally think that Hackintosh's popularity has risen mostly because the two Apple desktop options are between an obsolete cheap computer, and a ridiculously overpriced trash can, and there's no "normal" option in the middle.

Sasquatch!
Nov 18, 2000

French Canadian posted:

So uhhh...is this Macbook Air black Friday deal a reasonable buy even though it's like 2 years old?

My wife says I'm allowed to call her out for wanting this (she just wants the Macbook Air experience...doesn't need it to be speedy, etc). She is tired of using her XPS 13 for video editing and stuff. And she'd only do simple video stuff anyway. She wants to use iMovie.

Bob Morales posted:

I would buy that used for $500 but not new for $650

Buy the 2019 13" for $999

https://www.amazon.com/Apple-MacBook-13-inch-128GB-Storage/dp/B07V49KGVQ
I've been looking at this myself. Yeah, it's two years old, but the difference between $650 and $1000 for the newer model isn't insignificant. I'm torn on this too...

Sasquatch!
Nov 18, 2000

MarcusSA posted:

The newer one was $799. The one that was $1000 was the pro not air.
I must be blind then - link por favor?
That's a much thinner difference which - yeah - would make that older computer much less appealing.

Sasquatch!
Nov 18, 2000

Dog Toothbrush posted:

Interesting deal on Woot:

https://www.woot.com/offers/apple-2018-13-3-macbook-air-notebooks

Late 2018 MacBook Air, $649 for 128/8 and $749 for 256/8. These ones have Retina+Touch ID, etc. vs. the other MBA a few posts up.

Note that these are allegedly refurb'd by Apple, but carry a Woot warranty.

Jumpin on dis!

Sasquatch!
Nov 18, 2000

Totally Huge posted:

This has strong Ballmer era vibes.
DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS
DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS

Sasquatch!
Nov 18, 2000

jokes posted:

Lots of people reporting that RAM is a very minor concern on M1 for some reason? Like punching way above typical performance for a low amount of RAM?

This is the first time I ever got 8GB in my laptop so I’m a little hesitant to believe that hype, but people are talking about running Adobe poo poo alongside 16 YouTube tabs and junk and not really seeing much performance take a hit.

I think Intel might have just been kind of a piece of poo poo?
I've read in a few different places that because the M1 manages having such low RAM by swapping to disk a lot, the concern is that the constant re-writes on the SSD will severely reduce the lifespan of the SSD. And since nothing is user-replaceable in any of these machines, if any one component dies, you'll be left with a doorstop. Of course, we can't/won't know if this bears out or not right now, but it DOES make sense.

Sasquatch! fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Dec 13, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sasquatch!
Nov 18, 2000

MarcusSA posted:

AFAIK SSDs already have write lifespans in the like years and years range (something like 10 or whatever) so I can’t imagine this is going to do anything to shorten the lifespan because you’ll already be looking to replace the unit by the time it’s an issue.
Hope so! When it dies in 9 years I'll resurrect this thread tho...