Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!
I've been toying with the idea of buying a dock for my M1 Air. The Caldigit TS3 seemed like a solid choice, but now that the TS4 is available it has somehow started to creep up in price, which means the price gap is now closer to ~50€ than the previous ~100€ difference*. What gives me pause, though, is that the TS4 has much worse reviews and plenty of complaints about issues (dealing with sleep, external displays, kernel panics etc.).

Since those complaints are found with pretty much every TB4 dock, I'm guessing that this is a problem with Apple's TB4 drivers? Obviously none of you can predict the future, but judging by Apple's track record, would it be reasonable to expect these issues to be fixed sometime soon?

* I do know that my MacBook Air can't utilize the benefits of TB4, but docks being as expensive as they are, I'd rather avoid buying an outdated one, considering that the price difference isn't all that high.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

take boat posted:

no idea about TB4 drivers, but I did this morning decide to finally sell my Caldigit TS3 if you're interested in a cheaper second-hand one. it works great but I now have a studio so it's sitting in a closet

I've been looking into this some more, and it's starting to look like the TS4 is having some issues that other products, like the OWC TB4 dock, aren't having. I guess I'll wait and see until that becomes available here.

Buying your TS3 sounds like an interesting option, but unless you live in Europe, it's unfortunately a non-starter thanks to shipping/customs.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

nitsuga posted:

I don’t agree personally. I get what you’re saying, but in my own experience 8GB is fine. For OP, I think I would recommend picking up an 8GB and trying it out. If it holds up to your workload, then don’t fret too much about future needs.

You can return it within 14 days, so there’s not much at stake. You can also sell it in a few year’s time if you find it lacking then, likely at much less of a loss than a similarly equipped PC.

I really wouldn't go for 8 GB if your needs are more than browsing the web and maybe using some kind of word processor on occasion.
And the person asking is not going to be using it to casually browse the web, they're looking to use it for CAD.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

binarysmurf posted:

Can someone recommend a 1440p 34" UItrawide for use with an m1 or m2 system? My eyes tend to gloss over reading specs.

Main uses would be coding and media consumption via the Mac and USB-C, but the ability to plug in an xbox via HDMI might be a bonus. 😁

You may already be fully aware of this - feel free to disregard my post in that case -, but macOS does not treat 1440p ultrawide monitors as "HiDPI", meaning you'll run into issues (i.e. blurriness) with font rendering at your monitor's native resolution. There are workarounds (BetterDisplayTool), but I'm kinda just putting up with it because I bought the monitor before I knew a Macbook was going to become my go-to computer. If I was just now shopping for a monitor I would definitely choose something that doesn't require workarounds to make fonts look normal. Sucks if the only reason you were going for an ultrawide in the first place is the 1 external screen limit that comes with M1/2 systems. Apple :shrug:

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

Ok Comboomer posted:

2) get two 4K screens (for significantly less money than one 5K screen) and ~16.5 million pixels > 14.7 million pixels, plus they’re in what I consider to be a more useful arrangement

Sir, this is the Mac hardware thread. Seriously, gently caress Apple for the limit on external displays.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

Gay Retard posted:

I really hope you find a solution that suits your needs, but I can literally rub my wrist along the upper corners of my Macbook Pro's 16" trackpad and MacOS ignores it every time.

"Palm" detection probably works much better on false inputs the size of your wrist than an errant thumb.

Now just to make sure I understand this correctly, you want to still be able to use the touchpad, but get rid of the false inputs, rather than turn it off completely, right? Because the latter is an accessibility setting, and I'm also stumped on how to achieve the former.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!
It's a macOS limitation tied to the resolution, so which screen of the given resolution you choose shouldn't make much of a difference in that regard. FWIW, I have an LG 34GN-850B, and I use the BetterDisplay app to make fonts look less lovely.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!
I find it difficult to be optimistic about Metal 3, when really Apple could just be devoting its time and resources to Vulkan. Even if Metal 3 is actually good, it's still going to take a disproportionate amount of work for devs to make their stuff compatible relative to the install base.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!
I don't think that poster was saying Vulkan died in its infancy, but rather the attempt to work on a proton-equivalent for macOS did.

As for why Apple supporting Vulkan might affect Nvidia: while Nvidia begrudgingly contributes to Vulkan, it's obvious that AMD is currently the biggest contributor that is pushing for open standards. Just compare the GPU driver situation (and thus Vulkan support) on Linux.

Even if Apple did nothing but increase the install base of Vulkan, Nvidia's main competitor would gain clout which they could use to play to their strengths. By not adopting it, they're just splitting the small but emerging part of the market that doesn't look to Nvidia as the default, thus entrenching Nvidia's position further.

Badly Jester fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Oct 21, 2022

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

NewFatMike posted:

Steam link on Apple TV whips for couch gaming

Aside from my gaming PC being ancient at this point, my experience with Steam Link is pretty disappointing. With everything being wired, I still get stuff like compression artifacts in dark scenes and other, random drops in performance. What I really want is GeForce Now on Apple TV, but I don't see happening any time soon .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!
I don't think it's just hear-say. Electronically, USB3 ports interfere with wireless signals in the immediate vicinity. I have the same issue with my Caldigit dock, where I can solve mouse issues by not plugging the dongle directly into it, and instead putting a simple 10 cm USB extender between the dongle and the dock to create some space.