Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

If all I want to play is SWTOR, will the base mini be all right for that? I figure that as an MMO, it'll scale well, and I won't need the machine for much more than productivity/work/maybe some programming (CPU stuff, no graphics). I want a Mac again since I sold my Air but don't want to spend much. I know the game's not out yet so it's kind of a hypothetical but I would like to get one.

(I figured that since the better model is running Crysis/SC2 pretty ok, even on the base one an MMO of all things should be fine)

double sulk fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jul 23, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Hamburglar posted:

Alright, you guys were correct, and I'm an idiot. My wife wants nothing to do with the MacBook Air (she thinks it's great, but she gets everything she needs done with her iPhone/iPad). This is especially so because we just had a huge vet bill and could really use the money towards that instead.

I'm assuming there's no way to return this to Apple, correct? At least without getting a huge restocking fee?

If you purchased it within the last two weeks and it's a stock model, you can return it for a full refund, no questions asked.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

If you don't work in an environment where you need to use OS X or it's an up and coming thing, you have no need to get an Apple computer unless you want the design. Even then, you're going to be out at least $1600+ if you want one that runs anything decently. You'd probably be better off making a Hackintosh if you still want the most power you can get, because you'll quite literally spend half of the amount.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

To be fair, the Air's battery life (at least the last iteration) was never really that fantastic. Everyday use always yielded me about 3-4 hours at most. I wouldn't complain too much because the form factor is wonderful, but it could be better on the whole. So my boss tells me, his (current model) 13" Air's battery life isn't too great, either.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Short of some $150-200 device that I saw linked a couple times, is there any way for a 2011 MBP to output to two external monitors without using Thunderbolt? I'm guessing no, but may as well ask if there's even a remotely possible way.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Bob Morales posted:

I would keep any Apple laptop in a sleeve of some sort because you're going to get dings, scratches, and scuffs in it.

I always go with the Incase sleeves which are stocked at any Apple retail store. They're a bit pricy but the absolute best.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Who the gently caress would actually buy that.

Edit: I'm also kind of missing the Air I had months ago just for weight, form factor, and lack of heat output compared to this MBP I've been using through work, but at the same time I kind of want a Mac Pro whenever they refresh that line, if I could swing one. I've been learning some Xcode/Objective-C programming which I'd like to stick with, so having power is nice, though I also wouldn't be doing any 3D work, so it'd be more processor than graphics reliant. Stupid expensive Apple products: :arghfist::smith:

double sulk fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Sep 26, 2011

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Xithyl posted:

I'm thinking of getting the 13.3" MacBook Air (128GB) and then complementing it with a 1TB external drive for music and movies.

Probably gonna pull the trigger this weekend or next. I was worried about the size at first, but coming from 15.4" laptops for the last five years, it's really much less of a difference than I ever could've imagined.

Excited!

I've really debated getting one to replace the 15" MBP I use for work just because 5.6 pounds feels so heavy, and after having an 11" in the past it's a vast difference. For development that isn't 3D/graphics based (mostly iOS/OS X), is the processor/RAM pretty much fine by itself? My other option was to save up for a Mac Pro when the refresh happens, but I'm not so sure about that.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

So I don't have my MBP I was using through work any longer, and as a result don't own a Mac. Running OSX86 is a pain in the rear end and I want a computer solely for XCode (iOS stuff) and maybe some web design. Is the base Mac Mini sufficient? I'm assuming yes in this case. I can keep my custom PC for games, so graphics don't necessarily matter. The 2GB of RAM sucks, but I can upgrade that for cheap at some point.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

japtor posted:

Yeah just upgrade the RAM...and perhaps the HD cause the stock drive may be painfully slow.

Picked one up (took a bit since there were maybe 200 people in the store for 4S stuff); runs great so far, just in the process of updating the software.

Edit: I might try to put my Crucial M4 (128GB) in the system, if I feel up to it (installation seems like a little bit of a pain), but I've also read in a couple places that the M4s have issues. Not sure about it.

Also, will http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820139083 work, RAM-wise? I don't see why it wouldn't.

double sulk fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Oct 16, 2011

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Bob Morales posted:

No, you need 1333MHz not 1066MHz.

I got 8GB of Crucial for $40 (a hell of a steal) and the system is dramatically quicker. The only real bottleneck right now is the hard drive, but I'll try to install the M4 I have at some point. It's absurd to think though that Apple is throwing 2GB in these by default. The system barely functions at a decent level if you have more than four or five applications open.

double sulk fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Oct 17, 2011

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

I have a Mac Mini and iPad, and the combo works perfectly. I run two 23" ASUS monitors off of it. The one thing you absolutely have to do for any of the models, especially the base model, is bump it up to 8GB of RAM, which is dirt cheap to do, anyway. I bought two Crucial chips for $40.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

hunter x az posted:

How is Apple when it comes to returns? I know they have a 14-day return policy for computers. I bought a 27" iMac this last week and I'm not really feeling it. It works fine, but I just don't know if I really need it. I wanted it for school but I am finding that I am having difficulty in being as productive as I am on a PC.

As long as it's within the 14-day window, full refund with no questions asked.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

http://www.tuaw.com/2011/12/07/ivy-bridge-mobile-cpus-supposedly-ready-for-macbook-pro-air/

Are the updates for the Air really not due until May? I thought I saw Q1 mentioned elsewhere. I might need a laptop for school, but I feel as if I'd be better off just waiting. My plan is to see if I can get by without one, any way.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

I know that there's no real timeline, but that it would probably be based on those roadmaps. I'll probably just wait and see if I really need one and go from there.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

ItheWelp87 posted:

My gf's MBP is having weird issues with her mouse/trackpad. It is moving and clicking on its own and also becomes unresponsive, it alternates between the two. It's out of warranty, what's the best course of action in this case?

Take it to the Apple Store, where they'll probably fix it for you for free, any way.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

The only difference between the cheaper and more expensive i5 Airs the SSD, right? I might have to get a laptop for school (returning to go into CS) and the Air is by far the best option. I imagine that the 4GB stock RAM is enough, though the one thing that bothers me is the inability to upgrade it. Looking on Apple's site, though, it seems like you can't configure it to 8GB?

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

The SSD size definitely isn't a problem, though I never knew that they didn't let you BTO 8 gigs of RAM.

At that point it'd be a matter of 11 vs 13", though I'd probably go with the latter.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Bob Morales posted:

The 11" i5 model has slightly slower CPU - 1.6GHz instead of 1.7GHz, and is missing the SD card slot.

The 11" is a bit more portable than the 13", I take the smaller one with me when I leave the house. But I got the 13" Air to replace my 13" MBP because of the higher-resolution screen (1440x900).

Both good points and with a student discount it's not a big difference for the benefits. The resolution is definitely the big factor for the 13". Not entirely sure if I'll even get a machine for school, but it's under consideration.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

LLJKSiLk posted:

Wanting to buy a Macbook Pro. My uses are as follows:

Schoolwork/Office/Spreadsheets/Email/Web Surfing/Photoshop/Dreamweaver

Potentially the occasional game of Starcraft or something, and maybe dual booting Windows 7 for a few random programs, and maybe Visual Studio.

Is the 13" sufficient for these needs, or would I be better off spending another $600 on the low-tier 15"?

Get a 13" MBA instead.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Mike Tysons CARFAX posted:

So my 2009 MacBook Pro is running slow and I was thinking of adding some memory to it to make it faster. I really know incredibly little about computer hardware but my friend told me I should look into adding memory. I currently have one 2gb 1067 MHz DDR3 stick(?)

Is it a fairly simple procedure to add more? Will I notice a difference? Would Best Buy carry memory that I could buy?

Very easy to do. Takes all of a minute or so to put it in. Buy it on Newegg because Best Buy will charge maybe twice the amount you'd pay otherwise.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233179

Pretty sure that'll work (someone else can confirm if they wish). 2->8GB will be night and day, especially if you're running Lion.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Don't bother with the 2GB of RAM. 4GB is essentially a standard now and future versions of the operating system are going to likely need it. You can't upgrade it, either, so you're better off getting the most you can while you're able.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

notMordecai posted:

Yeah, that what I figured. Looks like I'm getting two 11" MBA with 4GB in the next couple weeks. :3:

I love my windows desktop, it's my baby, but when it comes to portables... I have to admit- in terms of build quality, resell value, customer support, etc. Apple's grip just can't be loosened.

If you're fine with not having a box-opening experience, you can buy a refurbished 11" 4GB model for $999 on the online store and have it delivered within two days.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

From the last page, but out of curiousity do you know where I could find an Air for that cheap?

Craigslist or eBay.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Mr. Onslaught posted:

If that 15" rumor turns out to be true, I hope it doesn't mean the end of the 11" model :ohdear:

It's one of the most popular models. It's not going anywhere.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Gaussian posted:

I'm really close to buying a Macbook Pro of some variety (probably the 13) and really want to pull the trigger, but I get the impression I should wait a couple of months for the new Intel chips, is that accurate? I wouldn't really use it for games or anything. Should I be patient?*

*I hate being patient.

Don't buy the 13" MBP unless you want to be pegged as a retard. Get an Air.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Gaussian posted:

So I really should go with the 15" (or higher) MBP? I haven't looked too much into an Air. Thanks!

Pros to the 13" Air:
-Best notebook on the market
-SSD
-Same resolution as 15" MBP, higher resolution than 13" MBP
-Half the weight of a 13/15" MBP

Pros to 15" MBP:
-Better processor
-Better GPU to kill your battery with/heat up the machine to cook eggs on

Unless you're doing something that requires both portability and as much CPU power as you can squeeze, either Air fits your needs. The 11" is fantastic, but you sacrifice on the resolution (if you're doing something like coding/Photoshop while mobile) and battery life, though it charges pretty quickly. The 13" is the best compromise and isn't much heavier.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

My MBA has recently started making little creak/crack noises on the left side when there's pressure or bumps against it. I read that this might be a loose screw or something, is that true?

(None of my torx screws seem to fit/I'm afraid of stripping them somehow if it just needs some pressure)

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

movax posted:

They are? I thought it would render the desktop as if it was a 2880x1800 canvas, much like people with 2560x1600 displays see.

2880 x 1800 would be completely unusable on a 15" screen. The question is whether the 1920x1200 mode looks bad or not.

I might consider trying to sell and upgrade to the new 13" Air with an 8GB RAM option, but even then I'm not sure if it's worth the time and effort.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

movax posted:

Man, I might just go to the Fruit Stand later this week to play with it in person so I don't sound like a moron and actually research what I post about some more. :downs:

Yeah, I'll definitely see it in person within the next couple days. I'm honestly surprised that 8GB is a BTO option, though, and not in the better config.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

The Ivy Bridge processors aren't supposed to be that much more powerful than the Sandy Bridge series, right? I'm still debating selling my current 13" Air and upgrading to the new model, mostly for the BTO 8 gigs of RAM, but I can't decide if it's worth it or not.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Scienter posted:

I have the same MBA and I'm not sweating it.

There's no price drop and I don't really have a use for 8GB ram (as opposed to 4GB) with my usage, though the upgrade fee is pretty cheap with education pricing.

USB 3.0 isn't enough of a draw in and of itself on a laptop and the integrated graphics boost is still just better integrated graphics at the end of the day. If you're trying to shoehorn a 13" MBA into being a serious gaming rig you're making the wrong move, but for casual gaming the 3000 should already be doing the trick.

At worst, wait for refurbed 8GB ram models to start showing up first.

It'd pretty much be only for development and VM benefits. The USB 3.0 and HD 4000 are just bonuses, but I don't really have a huge need for either. Basically it's just the RAM, which sounds dumb, but I've definitely noticed the squeeze of having 4GB. VMWare runs if I need it, but doing anything remotely complicated is a pain. I'll probably hold off because I'd rather have a retina Air than the retina Pro, though.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Some benchmarks were put on Macrumors (I know there were some in the past, but there are some now as well):

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/12/benchmarks-for-mid-2012-macbook-pro-and-macbook-air/

Seems like a pretty good increase in performance for the Airs, right?

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Comrade Flynn posted:

Went down to a store to see MBP:TNG in person. Really great looking screen and the lightness is noticeable over the old MBPs.

Did you manage to try out the scaled resolutions (1920x1200)? Articles seem to indicate it's fine but it would be nice to hear some more definitive opinions.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Crosspost from the YOS, here:

Because I really wanted to see the new RMBP, I went over to the Apple Store again and they had them on display. No units for sale yet, but the employees said they'd have them within a day or two. Impressions:

Pros:
- The screen is the best loving part of this thing and cannot be underemphasized in any way, shape, or form. No one should give a gently caress about the 1440x900 resolution, because the 1920x1200 scaled resolution is basically a thousand times better. If you want screen real estate in basically-still-retina form, then the RMBP owns.

Cons:
- It's still pretty heavy to someone coming from an Air. Even if it's a pound and a half difference and still lighter than any of the regular MBP models, the weight is noticeable.

- In 1920x1200 scaling, there's a bit of choppiness. It's not dramatic, but when dragging around windows and scrolling there's at least a somewhat noticeable amount of it. My concern is that it'll start chugging if you're doing anything intensive in that scale, or at the least that anything more than a couple basic things, it's going to force on the discrete GPU and kill the battery life.

- The already known issue that you can't upgrade anything (gently caress actually trying to upgrade the storage).

Here are some photos, all in 1920x1200 scaling mode. The pictures probably won't do it justice, though.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Bob Morales posted:

Next round of updates to that thing should be a lot better - improve graphics chip especially. I always find it easy to hold off on 1st gen Apple tech because the next revision blows it away.

Macbook Air, iPad, etc.

Yeah -- given the choice right now, I may still consider updating to a newer Air with 8 gigs just because it'd be really nice to have, and the USB 3/HD 4000 doesn't hurt, either (and I wouldn't end up being out very much). I'm definitely at least a tiny bit concerned that there may be at least a small number of soon-to-occur issues with the RMBPs.

Edit: Ultimately, the only reason I'd want the RMBP is for the screen real estate on a reasonably-sized notebook, which also happens to look fantastic.

double sulk fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jun 13, 2012

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Meliv posted:

Question about buying from the student Apple store.

A friend of mine has a .txt with the codes to get on all the online Apple stores for about 100 different UK Colleges/Universities. Can I get away with using one of these links to buy an iMac? I can knock a good £100 off the price this way. Will my purchase end up getting invoices to the University and screwing my plans up somehow?

As far as I'm aware, they rarely check, if ever. If they do, it's maybe 1% of the time.

kedo posted:

I've got a question re: repairs and possibly selling that is not addressed in the OP (sorry if this has been answered elsewhere in the thread, 180 pages is a lot to wade through).

So my studio has a 2009 iMac that's bricked itself. We took it into the Apple store and their response was, "the logic board has failed. $600 to replace it." It's old enough that $600 is a waste of money for us.

Question 1: Can anyone suggest a reliable repair shop that might charge less? $600 for replacing a mobo just sounds absolutely ridiculous to me. We're happy to ship it somewhere if necessary.

Question 2: If not, or if that's actually a reasonable price, we'll probably just want to sell it. Anyone know of (similarly reliable) shops that buy broken macs? Or would we be better off just hawking it on eBay?

Thanks in advance, goony goons.

Logic board replacements simply cost a ton of money and I'm not sure if there's much of a way around it. You can probably find the part online but I'd be surprised if it was anything under a couple hundred dollars, and then you'd still end up getting charged for someone to install it for you. This is purely speculation, but I'd imagine you wouldn't spend less than $400 to get it replaced altogether, and that's probably only ~$150-200 under what the computer is worth now in working condition, depending on its screen size. Throw it on eBay or Craigslist, get whatever you can for it, and put it towards a new machine, in my opinion. On the upside, it'll be a lot faster.

So I don't feel like I'm talking out of my rear end, I just did a very quick search and found that Powerbook Medic (which as far as I know is perfectly reputable) still charges $400-500 depending on if you send just the board or the whole machine.

http://www.powerbookmedic.com/wordpress/2010/05/03/imac-logic-board-repair-service

So just sell it off and get a new machine, like I said. You could probably still fetch at least a couple hundred.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

So my new 13" MBA gets hot to the tough - hot enough to burn me - if it's doing intensive stuff. Is this range normal?

It should only be the top left (and maybe the bottom right around that point) above the F1-F4 keys that gets exceedingly hot, and the Air's CPU pretty much always scorches up the second you throw any sort of Flash content at it.

Bob Morales posted:

Set it on a table and don't touch the area above the function keys.

This.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

wildlele posted:

I was given a mid-2010 iMac with 4GB of memory. Would upgrading to 8GB be worthwhile? I do not really do much beyond web browsing.

RAM is cheap as dirt, especially if you're only using 2x4GB sticks, so go for it if you can spend the money. It certainly never hurts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

PaganGoatPants posted:

I am really tempted to buy this one, as I have about $1000-1200 for a laptop and wanted to get a mac after I messed around with my sister's macbook pro last time she was in town.

I was thinking the new Macbook Air would be good, but wouldn't this be just as good? I'm only going to use it for coding/internet/video/youtube. No games really. It's time to get rid of my giant desktop.

Please don't buy a 13" MBP. I will never understand why people still do, but they are massive piles of poo poo compared to the rest of the current market. You can get a brand new 2011 13" MBA for $919 and it is infinitely better, if only because it has an SSD.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FC965LL/A

I use one for development and have literally never had a problem with it. It will only underperform if you absolutely need to run VMWare/Windows at the same time, and even then it is still mostly acceptable.