Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Thinking of getting a 13" MBA for college. It would be my first Apple thing ever. My primary concern is the battery, i'd like to keep that in good condition as long as possible. From what I read here, you do the usual things like cycle it weekly or so, don't store it at 100% or 0%, and so on. But what about if I'm using it? Could I just keep it plugged in if I use it for an extended period of time, or should I keep it unplugged and only plug it back in when its getting low? Will using this thing constantly hurt the battery?

e: Actually it looks like I can have Apple replace the battery too for ~$130. Not the best cost but it alleviates the anxiety.

buglord fucked around with this message at 17:28 on May 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Aside from the Best Buy Air specials, is there a chance for Pro being cheaper as far as Back to School deals go? I was previously bent on getting the Pro, but now the Air is pretty cheap. I was eyeing the 256gb version.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
So I picked up a rMBP. Startup time is insane. It's like the MacBook is coming out of sleep mode. :stare:

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Just so we're clear, the crazy amount of heat on the shell of a rMBP while playing games is a feature right? I've heard these things get warm but I still get a bit concerned.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

I Might Be Adam posted:

And holy poo poo this retina display. Really starting to appreciate it.

After using the exact MBP you're using, it was really hard to go back to my PC display. (I keep the PC around for Steam games). Retina is super beautiful. Space so far hasn't been an issue for me. But partially it's because the desktop is there for storage now.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
How careful do I have to be when cleaning/disinfecting a rMBP? Apple's web page on it says I can use a damp cloth, but there was nothing about anti-bacterial wipes. I'm deathly afraid of getting any water trapped under the keyboard area too, since I know water is a natural killer of laptops.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
So I dropped my bottle of medicine all over my rMBP 13". On the positive side, it was a bottle of pills. On the negative, they were small pills. One of them got into the air holes above the keyboard where the function keys are at. It's been like this for about 2 weeks now. (I figured out one was still in there once I started using my laptop around campus).

How dangerous is this for my laptop? Since I don't want to open up my laptop myself, how much would this cost as a service?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
As much as I like how nice my MBP is, I bought a green tinted Speck shell and put a whole bunch of stickers between that and the laptop so at least mine looks different. Its nice because it holds the stickers in place without you ever needing to "use" the stickers, but I essentially spent 50 dollars for a different looking MBP. :downs:

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

EL BROMANCE posted:

When doing this it's super important to remember to 100% check model numbers, because some retailers have been known to sell 2+ year out of date products at full retail price (or when discounting, pretending they're still the latest models). Really bad in the UK at least.

Thats....not what I expected, especially in Europe. I figured that would be a thing the U.S tried first. Is it blatant lying or incredibly vague/misleading product descriptions (not that its any better)?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Arsten posted:

In the US, it's common for Apple Resellers to have the last generation for sale along side the newest models. These are usually given huge sales that capture the minds of people that want a Mac but don't want to spend $2,000 for one. For instance, about six months ago, MicroCenter put the iMac 2013 2.9Ghz QC i5/8GB up for $599.

Even if you love Retinas with your cold robotic heart, that's a huge deal right there.
No I totally agree on that. Cheaper macs are cool and good, especially for folks who want a lot of mileage and little OS-housecleaning (I've had my rMBP for 2 years now and it runs just as fast as the day I bought it).

I was just given the impression that a 2013rMBP was labeled and priced as a 2016, or something equally terrible. Reading the guy's post again, I think I misinterpreted what he was saying.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
That eerily takes me back to when I had to recite prayers for my catholic catechism.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
I've been upgrading my buddy's MacBook Pro (Mid 2011). RAM has been upgraded, and the HDD has been upgraded to a SSD. All that's left is the battery, which lasts an hour at max and the OS is flagging it with a "Replace Battery" icon. Does that "laptops run up to 50% slower with a bad battery, even if they're plugged in" thing still ring true? And, should I go the official Apple route of getting the battery replaced, or take my chances on newegg/amazon? We don't live anywhere near an apple store. There's apple certified techs, but a true apple store is at least 300 miles away.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Col.Kiwi posted:

Agree with this. Other than taking out some screws to remove the back cover of the laptop, you might as well be changing the batteries in a remote control.

Yeah I'm not too worried about the installation of the battery. Replacing the RAM and swapping HDD to SDD was simple enough. I just know 3rd party batteries have a wide price range and presumably wider quality control. (I seen one go for $35 on Amazon but I'm not touching that with a 30 foot pole). I'll look at some Anker options then. Willing to pay the proper price for a quality, non-exploding battery.

e: Looks like permanently out of stock :cry:

e2: This battery looks reliable

buglord fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Feb 27, 2017

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
That could possibly be the case, but I'd rather not have to deal with a potentially exploding laptop because I dropped it 3 months prior or it had a water incident. I guess its hard to say either way with so little info tho.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Are there any widescale adoptions of iPad Pros yet? Every time into the Apple store and see them, I forget how comically jumbo they are. Apples lineup does seem all over the place. The fact that there's two watch screen sizes which are separated by a 4mm difference feels odd. Not that having a ton of products is a bad thing, but it seems like a departure from the usual.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I will NEVER understand Airdrop. It's the most temperamental thing apple have.
Its kinda useless unless you have other apple devices honestly. I kept forgetting it was a function until I got a Macbook, and now I use it constantly.

Cingulate posted:

Of course it's also surprisingly inconvenient to wirelessly transfer stuff between my Apple cellphone and my Apple laptop.
How though? Normally I have to email/text/facebook message things to myself. Airdrop is a pretty rad way of avoiding that.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

The headphone jack removal on the 7 series was the most blatantly anti consumer thing Apple has ever done. It's laughable.
I guess? There's at least the benefit of waterproofing, and I feel cutting cables was going to happen sooner or later. How does this compare to the removal of the ethernet cable and the optical drive on their laptop lines? I think the bigger, if not biggest, sin is making every new Macbook/Macbook Pro Retina completely user unservicable. I don't see any real justification for it. I think thats more anti-consumer than anything.

e: I guess you can divide up that argument any way honestly. Apples gonna apple as long as they got market share I guess.

buglord fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Mar 8, 2017

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Holy moly you aren't kidding. The last Mac Pro (desktop) update was just over three years ago. Mac Mini isn't faring much better. Thats really disappointing.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

:yeah:

my best tip for everyone with an apple touchpad: go to accessibility -> mouse & trackpad -> trackpad options -> enable dragging with three fingers

This is the greatest thing I've read today.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Depends on your use. I have a 256gb pro retina and I hardly use more than 20gb on it. A buddy of mine upgraded his 2011 Pro from a 750gb HDD to a 128GB SSD. He's used his laptop constantly since then and still never uses more than the bare minimum. Personally I'd be fine with a 128gb on my current MacBook, but if it was the only computer I had (and would be my daily driver), I'd go with 512gb or something. But that's what my desktop is for.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Im having serious doubt that Apple is allowing any upgradability with their new Mac Pros, other than like, storage. I want to be proven wrong.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

I said come in! posted:

Picked up my retina Mac. Holy poo poo this screen.
Now nothing else is ever going to look as good :unsmigghh:

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

I said come in! posted:

Also the speakers on this thing seem fantastic for laptop speakers.

I was watching a documentary or something on Netflix and I got tripped out by how well the macbook speakers handle positional audio. One point I had to mute the audio because I thought the sound of birds was coming from outside my window, despite it being dusk.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
How do mac mini's run with the i7? From what it looks like, the unnamed processor is probably an i7 8700? If so, how in the world do they stay cool and not throttle? I have the same processor with a small form factor CPU cooler, and I still had to undervolt it anyway because the heat was so excessive. Unless the entire mac mini is a heatsink?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
So does the M1 chip mean mac gaming on steam is dead(er)? I already lost access to the one game I could play well on steam on my 2013 MBPr (Dungeons of Dredmor) when they switched to x64 code or whatever. Does M1 basically erase any and all compatibility for other games going forward?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Is it too soon to hop on the M1 train if I’m a safari browsing, discord chatting, MS Word typing, YouTube watching prole? Reviews make it seem like a slam dunk if you aren’t using it for productivity/money making endeavors. I was debating getting an iPad Air with Smart Keyboard & trackpad because of that sweet, sweet battery life. With the M1 it looks like I can just go with a MacBook instead.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
I had 0 expectation of gaming on a ARM powered Mac but the fact that you can indeed run some games at acceptable performance levels blows me away. I don’t ever expect parity with windows gaming laptop performance, but it would definitely be fantastic to play some lightweight games by M2 or M3

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Oof +$200 for 16GB RAM, did apple hit their heads

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
I hope the M1 Air next year has a modernized shell. MacBooks are gorgeous but the screen bezel size makes it feel a bit aged. Would be happier with a smaller body with equal screen size or same body size with a larger screen.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
This thread is having me hope that my 2013 rMPB poops itself so I can justify a M1 Air. Though realistically I think I should hold out another year for second gen performance and maybe a body update.

e: ^^^ is that pho in your av?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
So are the M1 chips any beefier than the current iPhone 12/iPad Pro chips? Or are they the same power but just techno-alchemy'd into working on macos?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Can ARM tech eventually benefit high performance/gaming PCs? Or is there no point in developing ARM gaming PCs since you can just make a bigger CPU and keep feeding more power since you have much better cooling options? Its just weird that supposedly cell phone/tablet CPUs are outperforming hotter/slower/more power hungry processors?

I rewrote this post like six times trying to ask this question without outing myself an as an idiot. I have failed.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
My 2013 MBPr is having lower battery life and I got the "Battery Service" message on the previous MacOS version, and now its reading as normal. Cycle count is at 661, max capacity is 4935mAh vs the initial 6330mAh (77% of max).

How can I tell if my battery is actually faulty? Does a faulty battery really drop my laptop performance by 50%? Does that issue go away if the laptop is plugged into a charger? If I decide its worth a battery replacement, is it best to take it to the Apple Store for service or should i try my hand at an iFixit kit?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Okay cool. I’m not sure where I got that 50% number in my head. This is mostly a safari/MS Office/Discord machine (and has been for the majority of its life) so I’ll see if I can keep it going until the hypothetical M2 or even M3 Air.

It’s all speculation I know but do you guys think by that time we might get Airs that can do rocket league/valorant/fortnite at respectable image quality and performance? And maybe without a fan going brrrr

I have my own gaming pc for that anyway but it’s exciting to think that ARM night not have killed MacOS gaming but might have reinvigorated it?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Hot dog my dudes. Thats pretty exciting. Hope M2 brings even more to the table.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

nitsuga posted:

SA-Mart is worth a try too. eBay takes ~10% or so, so I’d factor that in to the equation.

Goons are hagglers and the implicit “goon to goon discount” is always present so you *might* not maximize your selling value there. But selling/buying from goons is vastly preferable to internet randos and it’s always been a pleasure.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
I know this is the wrong thread for it technically, but what are the odds that windows 10 or whatever will work with ARM Apple devices? Microsoft has to make that decision right? I remember there was some sort of cut down windows 8/10 ARM edition which blew chunks and I wonder if MS has abandoned that idea entirely.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
My late 2013 rMBP is getting pretty slow. Will a nuke and pave do anything to help?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Mister Facetious posted:

Yeah, because third-party sellers on Amazon are totally not completely sketch and basically equivalent to spinning the roulette wheel as to what cables you're actually getting...

Anker and Aukey are the only third parties I trust at this point, and even then I have to make sure the listings are actually sold and shipped by them.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Lord Stimperor posted:

Maybe that is an option. Mac OS keeps bugging me with accounts that it wants me to log in but maybe I can just opt out of that. And a fresh setup might also be a little bit smoother. I'll try that before side grading to Linux, thanks.

I just switched my 2013 MacBook Pro 13” to elementary. The amount of fixes and housekeeping I did just to make it feel workable was too much. Then I switched to Chrome OS which was decent, except that I needed to use my randomized 20 character Google password to log in each time after restart, and the trackpad experience was so subpar that I thought I might have physically broke or unseated the trackpad somehow.

Ive given up and I’m hoping the system is a bit more stable after a nuke-and-pave. If not maybe I’ll try windows 10. I’ve updated a 2011 iMac from its OS to Win 10 and it was immediately, shockingly faster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
If the new macbook models are coming with magsafe again, whats the likelihood that you can still charge them through USB-C? Would be cool if I didn't have to worry about packing a dedicated laptop brick and wall cable if I wanted to take it with me on a trip.