Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

LionArcher posted:

shut the gently caress up

Wow those sure were some posts.

I have a lenovo mini PC that's attached to my TV along with an Apple TV. The PC can technically do 4k/60 but generally struggles and it's currently running at 1080/60.

How would a mac mini be as a HTPC? Use case is playing movies which are generally either downloaded or rarely streamed. Also streamed music off Tidal or Eurosport or Youtubes. I appreciate those are possible off the Apple TV but the interface sucks.

I'm guessing it will cope with the resolution just fine. I haven't had a mac before, any other issues?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I realised I had a load of work bonus / good-boy points that I could use at different retailers so picked up a mac mini to use as a living room computer / htpc. So far I really like it but am totally clueless about mac os. Are there any good guides anyone can point me to for getting set up? Like, it's working, but idk what the best software is and have no idea if there are any settings I need to adjust.

I got a magic trackpad and a logitech MX Keys Mini for Mac and it's super nice to control from the sofa.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Arivia posted:

What do you want to do with it? What is annoying you about the interface/what do you wish you could change?

Whatever your htpc software is there’s a client for macos very likely. Importantly the App Store doesn’t suck like it does on Windows if something on there catches your eye. Don’t forget to check out Steam as well.

Thanks. What I was thinking is more the unknown-unknowns, like I got an iPhone and discovered the different browsers are all just skinned versions of Safari. I don't want to poo poo up threads with very basic questions, so just wondering if there's a general use guide to getting set up and what programs people use.

I was about to install a client app for a VPN but it needs to run through Rosetta, is that OK? Seems likely but could come with a weird performance overhead.

I'm mainly going to be watching movies and listening to music, bit of Web browsing. Is there a good bittorrent client? Nice media player?

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Just got The Boys on in 4k using IINA having downloaded it super quickly with Transmission. Thanks for the recs!

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

The Lord Bude posted:

It’s really irritating to constantly read the whinging

Aahaha this is so weird

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I've been really enjoying my mac mini, it works super well as a HTPC and I'm liking how everything works. I don't strictly need anew laptop but my existing thinkpad is 5 years old now and getting a little trashed.

The shop I got the mini from seems to have macbook pro m1 14s for a pretty good price, 1900 chf instead of 2200. So same as a macbook air m2, and it's in stock to pick up at my local store apparently.

Any reason not to get one of these? Is the spec OK? As I say it's not urgent (and a bit indulgent) but seems to be an awesome deal.

https://www.mediamarkt.ch/de/product/_apple-macbook-pro-2021-m1-pro-2097748.html

vs

https://www.apple.com/ch-fr/shop/buy-mac/macbook-pro/14-pouces-gris-sid%E9ral-cpu-8-c%9Curs-gpu-14-c%9Curs-512go

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Christ

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

knox_harrington posted:

The shop I got the mini from seems to have macbook pro m1 14s for a pretty good price, 1900 chf instead of 2200. So same as a macbook air m2, and it's in stock to pick up at my local store apparently.

I eventually ordered a base MBP 14 for 1850 chf. It seems totally nuts that it's 400 bucks cheaper than from Apple, and slightly cheaper than an Air M2 with the same 16/512 memory and ssd. Also.. 3x as much as I've ever spent on a laptop before, but I'm sure I deserve it.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

LionArcher posted:

Not the only reason. The keyboard in fact feels way better, the screen is better and noticeable bigger next to the old air, and the extra port really is nice. If you buy a laptop every 6+ years and don't need to worry about speed really (so 90% of users) I still think the way to go is the 512 gig M2 at this point, once discounts come out.

This has me second guessing myself a bit. At 16Gb / 512Gb they are the same price (pro actually slightly cheaper). I would value the smaller computer for travel. Otoh at the same price it feels dumb not to get the "better" machine.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Ok Comboomer posted:

where are you seeing a 14” Pro cheaper?

I bought it online here in Switzerland.

Pro M1 is 1879 CHF
https://www.galaxus.ch/en/s1/product/apple-macbook-pro-late-2021-14-m1-pro-16-gb-512-gb-notebook-17112939?supplier=406802

Air M2 is 1919 CHF
https://www.galaxus.ch/en/s1/product/apple-macbook-air-2022-1360-m2-16-gb-512-gb-notebook-21437163?supplier=406802

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

My new macbook has been delivered. Thing is, I'm not at home. I wonder who has it.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

knox_harrington posted:

My new macbook has been delivered. Thing is, I'm not at home. I wonder who has it.

I have it! The postman just left it outside the door, of course.

Super nice machine so far. It is actually* pretty slim, I am very happy with the form factor. I think the 14 incher was a good choice.

Is it worthwhile to get Applecare? 319 bucks seems like a lot but this is an expensive machine.

* this is my first time typing with the Y in the wrong place. it has a Swiss keyboard which is QWERTZ. Took me ages to find the @ key, which turns out to be Option-G

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I got the Apfelcare in the end, this thing is getting to the price point where it would be irritating to replace, so in my mind that is an inflection point for insurance/convenience.

What an awesome machine to use, I've only been doing basic web/music/writing stuff on it so far but it really is a pleasure to interact with. It's only marginally bigger than my new work X13 but the screen is huge in comparison, and super clear.

Very happy with my purchase.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Sonic Dude posted:

Comedy option, referencing the AppleCare derail of the past few pages: just buy the annual APP and get a new board every couple of years if it does poo poo the bed.

An M2 Air + Applecare+ is the same cost as a MBP though? Or maybe that’s the comedy, idk

(My new Swiss keyboard doesn’t have square brackets, wtf)

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Idk how high you want it but I have a Razer laptop stand that works nicely. It’s just a bit of powder coated steel though.

https://www.razer.com/gaming-pc-accessories/Laptop-Stand-for-Razer-Blade-Stealth/RC21-01110100-W3M1

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Wow I just saw what the XDR displays cost. That is a whole chunk of change.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Yeah if I was getting a monitor to go with this MacBook it would be a 4k non ultra wide. I see the Dell ultrasharp 4k usb-c monitor (U3223QE) is only 60hz though.

Also my Alienware ultrawide, which is admittedly an older model, only has one DP and one HDMI input, which is pretty annoying. Apparently that’s a restriction of the G-Sync module.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I've brought my MBP 14 on holiday to watch movies on and wow that screen is phenomenal. I have Severance downloaded in 4k HDR and it looks absolutely superb.

The sound is surprisingly good straight out of the laptop too. Just a great machine all round.

Also Severance is the best TV show I've seen in ages, definitely give it a watch.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

101 posted:

I use a CalDigit TS4 with USB-C (Thunderbolt) to DisplayPort should work fine if the monitors have DisplayPort. But yeah, it's a little on the pricey side.

As far as running 3 external monitors, the M1 Pro only supports 2.

Also note to OP that my Lenovo Thunderbolt 3 Gen2 dock doesn't work with my MPB

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

knox_harrington posted:

Also note to OP that my Lenovo Thunderbolt 3 Gen2 dock doesn't work with my MPB

SlowBloke posted:

Any thunderbolt docks from windows pc OEM with more than one screen rely on MST to work so that's kinda expected.

It was annoying me that the dock didn't work, and I was only connecting 1 external display so didn't make sense to me that MST would be the culprit. I discovered there was new firmware for the dock and updated through a windows PC... and it works! Nicely extended desktop to my ultrawide.

Very happy, I was thinking about getting a TB4 dock. Hopefully this will also resolve some lingering issues I've had with my work laptop as well.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Lenovo Thunderbolt 3 Gen 2 Dock

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/pd500265-thinkpad-thunderbolt-3-dock-gen-2-overview-and-sevice-parts

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

First time mac user here too with a base macbook pro, it's a really really good machine.

I was on the fence about getting the pro or an Air, but the MBP being cheaper than an Air M2 with 512Gb storage makes it an easy choice.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Yeah its OK to like your mac without claiming it's the bestest at everything ever

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

The Lord Bude posted:

I didn’t say that. I said it’s good enough for my needs because I don’t really play many AAA games any more and a lot of the indie games I play are sufficiently non demanding that they work fine in Parallels or crossfire if they don’t have Mac ports. That is hardly ‘it’s the bestest at everything ever’.

And as someone who made extensive use of virtualbox on my PC the level of performance and responsiveness of parallels rendered me speechless, very happy to defend that statement.

Mostly I bought a Mac because

1. I prefer macOS and windows and Microsoft are getting worse for various reasons that would require a short novel to outline

2. I’m already in the Apple ecosystem with my iPhone

And 3, as an environmentally conscious person I took a look at the insane and rapidly skyrocketing power draw and heat output of intel CPU’s and Nvidia GPUs and decided enough was enough. (And the cost!)

I’d contemplated making the jump in the past but the hardware limitations always held me back, it’s point 3 in particular and Apple silicon that got me to finally take the plunge because for gaming purposes it’s good enough now (for my needs).

fascinating

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Fedule posted:

I'm eying up a midrange M1 Pro. I'm kinda iffy on spending the very big bucks because frankly I could make do easily with an M2 Air but I'm only looking at the Pros because once you spec an Air up to 16/512 it's like £1750 and at that point it's not a very big leap to the Pros

This is what I did, a base M1 pro with 16/512 worked out cheaper than an equivalent M2 Air. I'm not sure about UK prices but the pro had much better prices if I avoided the apple store. (just looked and both Amazon and John Lewis are £1700ish for a 14 Pro)

An Air would have been fine I'm sure but the Pro has been excellent, and it does have a better screen and speakers as well as the extra power.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

512GB ought to be enough for anyone

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

T Zero posted:

Just bought my first macbook air in nine years.

Kinda interesting to compare the specs then and now. Surprisingly little in the way of cost inflation.

The 2013 version came out to $1450 after taxes while the new one is about $1700 ($1550 if you include the $150 gift card).

You done good

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

the talent deficit posted:

i really hate the 14/16" display but i am an outlier in this regard. it's smeary with really bad bloom and bleed

I have definitely not noticed those issues

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Cozmosis posted:

Anyone having poor battery life on the 14" Pro? Specifically, it seems to be really poor in standby. Can't seem to figure out why I'm losing so much. Just overall getting poor battery life compared to the M1 Air - same usage patterns. Nothing standing out in activity monitor.

Nope it lasts really well in standby, many days.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I have a logi MX mini mac keyboard which is very nice. No touch ID of course so you're stuck with a filthy password, but it's the right size, good to type on, looks great, and switches between 3 devices.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Mofabio posted:

No. The iPhone's popularity spurned the physical *G infrastructure, which in turn produced the phone-mediated surveillance state. Mass surveillance needs sufficient bandwidth in order to send audio, video, GPS, and app-use data home to the tracking servers. Prior to the iPhone invention, there wasn't enough bandwidth for whole-population monitoring. The popularity and mass-manufacturing of the iPhone immediately preceded hi-bandwidth telecoms -- remember the first revision was the '3G'. The surveillance tool and its network co-developed.

So, Motorola didn't invent the iPhone, and the devices in your list were not "just as subject to the surveillance state".

Interesting, have you considered maybe taking your conspiracy theories to Reddit instead?

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Shut the gently caress up

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

tildes posted:

Not sure if this is the right thread for this, but does anyone have recommendations for a hard shell which will fit a 14" Macbook Pro 2021? In concept the Thule Gauntlet looked good, but it doesn't come in a size to fit this laptop. Curious if anyone had recommendations. I have a soft sleeve rn, but am planning to start sticking it in a bag attached to a bike rack and am a bit nervous about it surviving falls.

I don't have a hard case recommendation but I do have a good protective sleeve recommendation.

https://incase.com/products/icon-sleeve-for-macbook-pro-14-inch-2021

It has a really thick foam or rubber or something edge which should protect it well, provided you don't need it protected while you're using it.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I have a touchscreen laptop for work and I have literally never ever used it on purpose.

Yup same, I got a ThinkPad X13 which in general seems to be worse than any previous ThinkPad I've had which must be around 6 of em at this point. The windows interface (and macos I guess) isn't designed to be poked with fingers.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Housh posted:

Adds up. Read that it only makes export faster which isn't a big deal.

Edit: now I just need to get a slipcase cover for the 14" . Any recommendations?

https://incase.com/products/icon-sleeve-for-macbook-pro-14-inch-2021

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Honj Steak posted:

A microfibre cloth and a decent bag (I like tomtoc - no idea if that exists where you are). Don’t put any case on there, put it in the bag whenever you carry it around and clean it regularly. Start the habit of wiping the keyboard down before closing the laptop. Since these devices close so snugly, one little crumb can break the screen if you’re unlucky. Also I recommend always washing hands before using it - the screen coating really doesn’t like some skin oils. :v:

You're touching it wrong

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

BonoMan posted:

Mouse Chat: MX Vertical.

Holy crap switching to a vertical mouse was a (literally) instant QoL gain.

Yup one of these totally cured my arm pain, recommended.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Branch Nvidian posted:

I have an M2 Mac Mini with 8GB/256GB and it has trouble when I've got five Safari tabs open.

I don't believe this for a second, yeah maybe 16gb is worthwhile for ~future-proofing~ but 8 is fine for surfing the web

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Looking forward to hearing how the Safari stress test goes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

You can charge them with pretty low wattage chargers, it just takes a while. That said for travel I think you're best off using the current apple ~70w charger with the travel pack of different plugs. You can then pass through charging to other devices as need be.