Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Edit: just noticed I could PM you so I'll remove the shameless plug

hatty fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Aug 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Go here and set up an alert for the model you want

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I’m more worried about the lovely display cable built into the hinge wearing out than the keyboard tbh. Apple at least acknowledged the hosed up keyboard with a repair program

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I’d buy a modern day desk lamp iMac in two seconds

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Just build a normal gaming PC. You can make it small(not as small as the mini of course) and also have a GPU worth a poo poo for around the same price as a mini. Also gaming on macos isn't great.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Can you get the new 2019 keyboard in the new Air I wonder

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Oh I didn’t see that. That’s good to know if I see a cheap Air somewhere

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I’m an old man and just use wireless on ear headphones. Sometimes I use wireless over the ear ones if I’m feeling extra frisky. I could never fit in ear stuff comfortably into my ears.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Are Homepods good?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I’m glad MacBooks are good again

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Designed by someone who has never owned a cat I suppose

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Wish they’d release the new 13 inch with the good keyboard already. I need a replacement laptop by the end of the month and I’m afraid the 16” is too huge.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
A refurb 256GB Air is $1099 if the place you bought it from stopped doing the deal. I’d say it’s worth swapping, 128GB is very restrictive

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
My 16” just got delivered so look forward to that getting an update just outside my return window

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I wonder if Apple will let me swap my big honkin 16” for the new Air. I didn’t really need the power but it was the only thing out with the good keyboard when I needed to buy exactly one month ago.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Why is chrome so terrible anyway? you’d think they’d have their poo poo together by now.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I haven’t traveled with it yet but the 16” is not as obnoxiously big as I thought it’d be if the size is holding anyone back. I thought it’d be closer to the old 17” I’m very pleased.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I like Reeder but I’m an old man that still follows RSS feeds, I also prefer MPV to VLC for videos.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
That’s Demon’s Soul’s

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Do you have True Tone on?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I don’t think they ask for a .edu account anymore. It’s all honor system now I believe

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Glad they fixed the keyboard released at least one more generation of good laptops before the risky big change.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I can never play Metal Gear Rising on Macos again and it’s unforgivable

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Fleetsmith Mac

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I stopped using B&H when they started charging sales tax. Good to know I can pretend to have stopped for moral reasons now.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Was kinda hoping for a fan. You can have it off 99% of the time but its useful to have.

E: the new mini has a fan so that's good

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

FCKGW posted:

how so?

Just to avoid throttling and your lap becoming the heat sink. Might not be a problem with ARM chips based on the iPads only getting kinda warm but a full OS isn't as closed off and the chip can possibly be pushed to its thermal limit by having thirty discord windows open connected to a 4k monitor. I just don trust it yet, the other two lines have a fan so we'll see if that makes a difference or if they're clocked much higher so any heat difference is marginal.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

Baronash posted:

Honestly, with the amount of control they have over the hardware now, I'll be a bit disappointed if any of their lines are allowed to languish in hell as long as they did during the Intel years.

Let me tell you about the iPad mini

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Maybe it’ll have a rubber bottom like the 2009 MacBooks

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
My 16in has crap battery life but it’s never away from a desk especially now so I’m convincing myself that it was a good idea to buy one

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
All these positive anecdotes make me want to sell my gigantic 16” with its mediocre battery and get the 13pro. I’ve learned my lesson about 1st gen apples though.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I got my mom one of those new blue iPad airs and it’s a pretty nice color in person, very subtle. I’d definitely like it if the new MacBooks came in similar colors

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Came close to selling my 16" for $1600 and doing a straight swap for a m1 13" pro. Resisted the urge, I'm sure the M2 models will blow these out of the water. Though my resale value is sure to drop like a ton of bricks it might be smarter to wait.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
RAM doesn’t seem to be much of an issue based on reviews for the Air, I’d assume the same would be said for the base Mini

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
My main problems with my 16" is its somewhat poor battery life and how hot it gets when I connect an external monitor, I don't hear the fans too much. Its also huge but you get used to it

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Going back to trackpad with a physical click is jarring, you try to press in at the top right corner and it doesn’t budge and you feel like it’s broken for a second.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I’ll probably sell my 16” in a year which is four years sooner than planned but that’s just how it goes sometimes. Want something much smaller anyway

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
My inhibitions were compromised and I ordered a base M1 Air from Best Buy to try for a few weeks and see what the hubbub was about. Comparing it to the big boy 16” this thing is tiny, it’s nice using a laptop that actually feels comfortable in the lap and isn’t a large warm slab. Besides the better “lap feel” the battery lasts twice as long doing the same nonsense I’m paid to do and it’s way cooler while doing it, I can even hook it up to my monitor without it heating up like crazy for no reason. I tried I’ve been very impressed with it the past few days and haven’t felt the need to touch my 16” since transferring my stuff over. Two day rating 9/10

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The Mini has speakers? Why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Buy one when it’s actually safe to travel, the M3 might be out by then