Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Hey folks, now that NVMe drives are more common is doing a SSD/HDD upgrade on a late 2013 Retina MBP an affordable/sane thing to do?

Similarly, I'd love to get more RAM in this thing than the piddly 4GB it came with, but I suspect it wouldn't be worth the trouble as my understanding is they started soldering RAM by this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Binary Badger posted:

Sure, it's cheaper than buying used/OEM Apple SSDs. Literally all that's involved in doing the upgrade is removing your bottom cover, taking out the original SSD, plugging in the NVMe adapter, then plugging in the NVMe drive, then sealing it all up after.

Be advised that not ALL NVMe drives work with Macs, most notably the recent Hynix P31 Gold; check this list on this page for compatible drives.

Favorites include 970 EVO Pluses, Sabrent Rockets, and ADATA SX8200 Pros before they started cheaping out and switching out for slower NAND and shittier controller (2262EN before, 2262G now)

There's two big prerequisites: your current machine must have been upgraded to at least 10.13.x and have the latest BootROM for that OS, accomplished by making sure the last Security Update for that OS has been performed.

You might be able to get by with Sierra for some NVMe flavors but it's not recommended.

As for the adapter, I only trust Sintech; other adapter manufacturers seem to have wildly varying degrees of quality. (Sintech adapters are freely orderable from Amazon, just make sure you order from their store and not some generic company pretending to be them)

After you get it installed and working, you could do further tweaking by installing homebrew system extensions that enable enhanced power management so that the SSD uses less power when idle..

Perfect, thanks you two. I wasn't sure if they were doing something particularly obtuse with the drives, but good to know that I can get sufficiently stupid now.

Ziploc posted:

Not to be rude, but I wouldn't be putting money into anything that only has 4GB of ram.

Oh word, I totally get it. This was a hand-me-down I got from the Mrs. when I got her one of those USB-C only specials a couple of years back. I'm not particularly invested in the ecosystem beyond having a iPhone and watch, so I don't much care to drop bills on a new model (though I am keeping an eye on the M1 stuff). The '13 does a good job in my asks of "iterm2 and chrome launcher" but it take it a hot minute to get moving if the browser is involved. Frankly I'd likely be better off on a cheap Win10 laptop (WSL2 and WinTerminal) and/or a refurbed Thinkpad running Ubuntu, but this is here already and has a good build quality to it. Plus Alfred is real real good and I like it.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Fair points, I'll have to give that a look.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Hey there folks. I’ve got one of those new M2 MBPs coming to replace the secondhand min spec 2013 MBP I’ve been using for a while now. I’m now realizing that I don’t have much in the way of USB-C -> USB3 formatted adaptors handy for the handful of devices I have that still use the form factor. Are there any special considerations I should take into account for a general purpose adaptor?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

SlowBloke posted:

If your devices have replaceable cables i would suggest going thru that route rather than using adapters/dongles. Less stuff to break or lose.

Most of what I have is already in that form factor, I’m more thinking if “something to have around in just in case”. I’ll go see what Anker has to offer. Similarly speaking any decent recommendations for Ethernet dongles? I don’t expect needing or using it but I know it’s better to have one handy when I need to mess with my network.

E: Boy Anker sure does have one of those too, huh?

Warbird fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jan 24, 2023

Warbird
May 23, 2012

That’s not a bad option for the price. I’m thankfully already covered there by my existing doc. These are more “keep in the bag just in case” but I may grab that for the wife and her 2017.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

pipebomb posted:

I am having some issues with my vision on my MacBook and iPad. I can easily use my iPad for 8-10 hours per day with no eye strain. But on my Macbook, if I use it for more than 3-5 hours, I develop a horrible headache and have to half close my right eye to really see anything.

iPad: 2019 12.9” Pro
MBP: 2021 16” M1

I use True Tone on both, Night Shift from 8pm-8am. Usually 18-24” away, on my lap. If I use the MBP in the morning for work, then shift to the iPad, it’s ok for a few hours but eventually the strain occurs.

The MBP is currently set to:
P3-1600 nits
ProMotion 1728x1080
I’ve tried MULTIPLE resolutions and refresh rates though.

IPad is just set to ‘Default’ zoom.

I have astigmatism (worse in right eye, obvs), but have a fresh rx, blue blocking and all the latest bullshit they do help people who have to spend their lives looking at screens.

Is there something about the MBP screen that is different? Any suggestions?

Turn off your monitor

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Speaking of hardware replacements, what’s they going stance on Apple Care for non phone/tablet stuff? I could see it being useful if the baby spilled water on my laptop or knocked it off a table or whatever but the deductible for non broken screen stuff is such that I suspect I’d be better off with a personal items policy from my insurance provider. It’d be a great deal cheaper too.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Question for those of you that have bought a laptop in the last few years:

My order details say the following:
Apple M2 Max with 12‑core CPU, 38‑core GPU, 16‑core Neural Engine
Accessory Kit
96W USB-C Power Adapter

Now I presume that the laptop will come with a USB-C to USB-C cable with enough heft to be able to charge the machine because that'd be pretty hosed up not to. However is my read that I would have to purchase a Magsafe charger separately correct here?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Oh perfect, thank you. I presume it still has the little bit on the wall wart (or whatever we call them now) where you can slot in the extension cord?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Baronash posted:

Yes, but they don't ship it with the extension anymore. I haven't even bothered switching the brick to that extension because I'm almost never in a situation where I need to use the thing while plugged in. The battery life is just that good.

That's no problem for me as I have an extension already so I can just sub out for that and keep my existing charging place. I probably should order a dedicated MS2 charger setup for travel or whatever, but that can wait.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Are the plastic clamshell case things still popular for MacBooks? The wife has always gotten ones for her machines but I can’t imagine they do anything worth a drat beyond block superficial scratches.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

That's really neat but fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck that. I used to do vehicle wraps and I never never never want to do anything like that again. Just watching their instructional video gives me minor anxiety. I know they can't but I wish they could do like you see with phone screen protectors now and just have an idiot proof chassis system. I'll go browse around and see if I can grow enough of a pair to get over it.

edit: boy you sure could get a leather one. dammit.

Warbird fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jan 28, 2023

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Extremely true, but if I'm going out I'm going out to the degree of "state" or "country/continent", though I suppose at that point I'd just go pull the drat thing out from behind the couch.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Oh neat, my laptop finally shipped. Less neat: it looks like it won’t be here until the very end of the fast shipping window. Boo.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

My laptop is now one state over in TN so there’s a real chance it gets here before February. Though I wouldn’t be surprised if it ends up getting held up at the FedEx hub until mid week since they don’t have to get it here before Wed-Fri.

Anyway, and good travel pouch recommendations or is whatever that fits closely good enough? I need to see if Wirecutter has a recommendation.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Heh, “crapple”. I personally blame everything on Tim as he’s an Auburn grad and therefor a sociopath. It’s nice to have a scapegoat.

Eg- Tim drove over to Memphis and is personally sitting on the box with my laptop preventing them from moving it along (it’s been 36 hours and I’m antsy).

Warbird
May 23, 2012

My M2 MBP is apparently in the area and I’m going to go goddamn nuts if it doesn’t show up tomorrow.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

The laptop came in :toot:

Everything seems great and it feels solid as hell, but I was mildly surprised to find that the box it came in was kind of dirty. The shipping box was sealed up pretty good so I’m not sure what happened. It’s not a big deal and the laptop itself is pristine so idgaf.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

My dbrand skin came in today and a few things have become very clear:
1. I am an idiot
2. Unsurprisingly a 13’ MBP skin does not fit the 14’ one that I have. I’m not even sure how I managed that.
3. The leather skins are lid only and there doesn’t seem to be a way to either get leather for the rest of the laptop or mix and match with another wrap for coverage there either (It being lid only is communicated but only in a way if you know what to look for, see: #1)
4. The packaging and item quality are extremely nice.

The return/exchange process seem painless enough but I’m a bit torn. I’d love to put a leather wrap on this thing but not enough to order two skins to do so. Also the 14’ version I need is on preorder so I’d have to wait on that.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Any suggestions of what to do with this now defunct 2013 MBP? I could toss linux on it, but that would be a novelty at best. It doesn’t have enough memory onboard to warrant converting to a server so I’m not sure what to do with it.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I mean I could still daily it if I really wanted to but I most certainly do not. For basic browsing it isn’t that bad, but if you start getting froggy it will start complaining.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Oh no kidding? What are we talking here, a hundred bucks or so? Like I hate to get rid of it as I have historically parted out and converted old computer hardware for server operations, but I've gotten to a point now where I'd need more purpose built stuff rather than a laptop with the screen off and a power source zip tied into place.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I just want Vagrant to work with something, drat it.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

What’s so so special about it/the drag feature?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

It’ll naturally oil itself from your flesh juices over time, so there’s that.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Turned on the 3 finger drag, it’s pretty nice, neat. Speaking of nice/keyboards, I presume all
the gestures have hot key versions?

Additionally, is there a rundown of how window management works with multiple displays? It looks like you can have multiple full screen apps/desktops per display but I’m not 100% sure.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I’ve got the 3+ flavor of that and it works pretty well. It has the annoying habit of the screen connected via the daisy chain USBC/TB port not being recognized when coming up from sleep though. It’s easily fixed by unplugging and replugging the dock to the computer, but still annoying. I should email their support sometime to see if there’s anything that could be done.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I spent multiple hours trying to find out why the hell my mech keyboard couldn’t kick off debugging in VSCode before finally stumbling onto a Reddit post explaining more or less that while it did have an “OSX” mode that swaps Win/LAlt that there was no actual reserved “Fn” key to let you use the drat F keys as F keys. What a mess.

Is anyone here using a custom keyboard and if so does it play nice with OSX properly? I don’t want to bother messing with OS settings for this as I do like using the media features and so on when on the built in KB.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Is there a good write up or guide or repo or whatever on how to make best use of. BetterTouchTool? I just opened it and set it so the drat mouse wheel worked the way it should and closed it because it seemed like a lot.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Much obliged, thank you.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

frogbs posted:

Maybe you already know this, but OSX will let you remap specific modifier keys per external keyboard. https://superuser.com/questions/80976/how-to-re-map-command-and-option-keys-on-mac-os-x-with-a-pc-keyboard

Interesting, I’m surprised I didn’t come across that before. I don’t think I could hijack the Fn key on my keyboard as it’s “internal” only but Capslock and right Alt or whatever sure aren’t doing much… That’s especially nice of it’s scoped to just a given keyboard and not something you’re doing across the board.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

It bums me out that their leather options are lid only. I’m not sure I’d want a fully literal skin wrapped laptop but give me the option drat it.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

You’re doing data transfer with your power brick?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

To be fair iirc there is a bit of data transmission and so on b/t the brick and laptop for optimal charging or whatever like you see with PowerDelivery banks. While I get what OP is going for I've also had multiple laptops get to the point of having to rubber band/zip tie the barrel plug deal in just so to get them to charge so an all external setup that is designed to break away is fine in my book. The wife also has a 2017 USB C special so it's not like we don't have some cords lying around waiting to be used.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Speaking of running windows, should I go grab a cheap WinArm key now that parallels got MCS’s blessing?

Edit: it may just use a regular key? Idk.

Warbird fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Apr 2, 2023

Warbird
May 23, 2012

SourKraut posted:

Yeah, a regular key works just fine!

Sick, hopefully I can double dip on my existing one. If not, off to LN’s SAMart thread.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Comatoast posted:

This thread has taken a rather toxic turn. Can you all chill out about your cable preferences ffs?

I bet you still use a VGA monitor with an adaptor.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Idk, I kind of hate it now too.

E: Which models had v2? I went from 2013 to 2023 so I’m not surprised I missed it. Similarly speaking do we have any reason to think the v3 cable ends may hold up better? The 2013’s charger cords are nightmares in terms of fire hazards and having babies running around. Just a mess is shrink wrap, deteriorating insulation, and reinforcing springs.

Warbird fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Apr 3, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

God I hope so.