Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

silence_kit posted:

I've never owned a Windows 7/10/11 PC with nearly this many problems, other than the laptop computer from my previous job, which I attribute to terrible corporate software on the computer . . . could it be that you are Using It Wrong???

it is a major flaw of windows that Using It Wrong can very easily create these kinds of problems, with no feedback about what you are Doing Wrong and no obvious way to fix it other than starting over

also the updates and privacy stuff is broken by design and there’s no way to correct all that except deliberately breaking it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

The Lord Bude posted:

I use a magic trackpad when I’m not gaming whip out my trusty wireless Logitech gaming mouse when I’m playing a game. I just wish someone would make like a brushed metal mouse with saddle brown leather covering on the surface your hand grips. Like the gear shifter in an expensive car.

https://www.lunarartefacts.com

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
Since we’re still doing cablechat, anyone have an opinion on cablematters? they look to be a little less bargain basement than monoprice but still have a good inventory

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

actionjackson posted:

oh apparently the BF event is UP TO 250 those tricky bastards. it's 150 on the m2.

does anyone happen to know if the the compact adapter will take up less "plugs" on a power strip than the default one? i just really want to know the length of these two blue lines

if you’re desperate, you can pull the prongs off most apple adapters and replace them with a figure-8 power cord

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Ok Comboomer posted:

or you could just like replace them with a $19 compact ANKER brick, but you do you

I didn’t think anker made a 35w two-port brick that still only takes up one outlet on a power strip

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Zil posted:

Okay, so hopefully this question won't start a fight this time, but does anyone have any recommendations on mac supported mechanical keyboards (brown switches preferred) or mice? Most of the functions work on the the ones I am using currently, but just little features that I am missing that make using what I previously used on windows annoying now.

For example I can no longer hold down the middle scroll wheel to drag a document back to the top, I have to scroll manually now. Also the function keys on my keyboard don't work and every time I restart the OS asks me to identify my keyboard.

Just looking for something that works out of the box I'm guessing.

price? das has a “for mac” brown mx keyboard, though i have to say my preonic works flawlessly and I imagine most qmk boards are the same

for mouse, god’s own mouse the mx master 3 with the most perfect scroll wheel ever created is also available “for mac” though the regular one also works flawlessly with downloaded logi options

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

silence_kit posted:

It's more than a little silly, but unfortunately this is a reality of modern SomethingAwful moderation. Alongside this moderation policy, there is a conviction that by acting like a word filter computer script, they are performing a very important and noble service to the world.

It's really hard to argue with someone who holds the belief that they are doing the world a great justice. You will lose every time. The most you can do is hope that Goons grow out of it and move on to a new fad.

imagine feeling this aggrieved about being gently and politely asked to use a different word

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
terrible snipe

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
goons all over the forums really are coming together to get weird about being asked not to use certain words

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

doingitwrong posted:

Now taking mouse recommendations, apparently.

logitech mx master 3, but the scroll wheel might be too powerful for you coming from a magic mouse

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
i have two devices so I carry two cables anyway

e: brainissues is furiously typing a response telling me my use case is hosed up, but apple is wrong for not catering to his

Brain Issues posted:

If I want to charge with MagSafe, that means I’m now carrying two cables when previously 1 cable did the job.

if you don’t want to charge with magsafe, and it’s very clear you don’t, one cable will still do the job! break this down for me barney style again, last time wasn’t quite eli5 enough

hypnophant fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Apr 2, 2023

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Brain Issues posted:

If you can define what a regression is, and then objectively look at magsafe, it is a regression from USB-C unless you are clumsy, which is a fault of your own and not the technology.

it is not a regression, because i like the way it clicks in with magnets. it’s very satisfying. also technology should cater to users, not the other way round

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
am i out of touch? no, it’s the magsafe users who are wrong

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
saying these things only hurts yourself, op. Magsafe is fun! embrace it.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Brain Issues posted:

I do however legitimately feel that including a magsafe cable instead of USB-C in the box is a step backwards, and that they should be including a Thunderbolt cable in the box for the macbook pro models. With the macbook air, sure whatever I guess, just be happy you can even buy a mac for under $1000 and stop being poor.

I can sooort of see where you’re coming from but i still don’t agree. i’ve had an m1 mbp for almost two semesters and never had a reason to use a thunderbolt cable, but i’m grateful for the magsafe every time I have to stretch a cable across an aisle in the library, even if nobody ever trips on it. for college students, which is my current use case, magsafe is a godsend. If/when i am once again an office drone, i’ll get a usb c dock or something and if i have to buy the extra cable then, so be it.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

carry on then posted:

Oh wow a puppet master defense the minute you realize no one has your back. Cool.

let people back down gracefully

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Brain Issues posted:

If you want to say "magsafe go clicky make ape brain feel good" sure. That's a valid argument.

thank you

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Mister Speaker posted:

Thanks for the quick responses, I'll check out some of that on the Apple store. Is it worth going with a MBP over an Air? How are the screens, good for photography? I don't even know if an M1 is necessary, I know they're stupid fast but it might be overkill? Thanks again.

if you do a lot of photography the mbp screen (14" or 16") is probably worth the upgrade cost on its own, especially because it also comes with an upgrade to 16gb of ram

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Mister Speaker posted:

This is a really good point, I definitely agree.

Thanks again for all your help folks, I ended up going with a 13" MBP M1 even though it was slightly outside of my price range. It arrives on Wednesday hopefully, then its first trial is coming with me to the cottage to edit some photos of the meteor shower. :)

I wasn’t specific enough in my post: the 13” mbp doesn’t have the better screen and isn’t worth the money over the 13” air. If you can cancel the order and get the air instead, you ought to do so

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
On the other hand the CPU portion of AS is an ARM-based RISC architecture while xbox and ps (e: and steam deck, but not switch) are now bog standard x86

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Ok Comboomer posted:

You can bet on the Windows ARM race picking up real steam in 2025 onward.

I'm not surprised per se that it's taken so long for windows on arm to get going, but only because windows is such a poo poo product with no strategy. your chief competitor in the laptop market comes out with a product that devours your loving lunch and it takes you five years to react. clownshow

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Ok Comboomer posted:

The mistakes that were made here were 1) Microsoft never should’ve signed that exclusivity deal, but also the industry in 2016 was very different from where it is today. And the ideas around bringing ARM to the space held by X86 were very different. 2) Microsoft and Google/Android makers should’ve pushed to reach and maintain hardware parity with the Apple A-Series instead of allowing non-Apple ARM for mobile to slip like it did.

Agree these were mistakes, but they're the kind of mistakes that reveal more than excuse. They signed an exclusivity deal with a company that, way back in 2016, was not making competitive products, and it's still hamstringing them eight years later. Also, they (and google) hosed up the smartphone/tablet/ARM laptop evolution that Apple pulled off so well. There is/was a long-term vision there, on the part of both google and microsoft, but it's one that is deeply unappealing to consumers and failed in the marketplace, and neither company managed to figure out why or what to do about it.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

mediaphage posted:

yes. it would be more than sufficient. an m2 air is also a good buy and vastly better than what she currently has but the screens are a bit nicer on the pro, plus the two external displays.

making sure this is clear, because it's not obvious: you can connect a maximum of one external display to a macbook air or pro with m1, m2, or m3 chip. if she needs two displays, she has to get a macbook pro with pro chip or max chip.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT213503

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
let's not normalize apple's egregious ram and storage pricing

it's a ripoff, which sometimes makes sense to bite the bullet and pay

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

MarcusSA posted:

Got the MX Master 3 and it’s pretty nice. I like the click feel and it fits well in my hand. It’s a bit pricy but it feels worth it so far.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Edit: ok well is there a reason why the mouse would just disconnect for seemingly no reason? It seems like
It losses the BT connection at random

mine seems to sleep early and often, presumably to save battery, but reconnects quickly after jiggling/clicking.

also if you, like me, want to have the scroll wheel work opposite to touchpad scroll, the logi options software can set that up for you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

buglord posted:

Is there something that’s causes Bluetooth mice to act so poorly on M-series MacBooks? Mouse will work fine, then when I leave it and the computer to idle/ sleep for 20 minutes, upon return the mouse movement will be incredibly laggy. This doesn’t happen do I use the dongle, only with Bluetooth. Reddit seems to think it’s a problem with M series Macs, but it’s all just hearsay.

I also use Mac Mouse Fix, but I don’t think that’s the issue since dongle connection always works regardless?

I use bluetooth with the mx master 3 and the main wake-from-sleep problem I have is it takes a few seconds for logi options+ to wake up and fix the scroll wheel direction