Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Canned Sunshine posted:

Has anyone done a trade-in of a laptop in person at the Apple Store? I'm wondering if you order a laptop that's backordered/weeks out, do they take the trade-in immediately, or let you use it until the new laptop arrives?

I know from past experience when the trade-in is online, they wait till the new one shows up, but wasn't sure how the in-person process works.

I haven't actually done this kind of trade-in personally, but my understanding is they don't do the appraisal or anything in store, they just box it up and ship it for you. So I'd imagine they would let you keep it until the new one arrives and then take it, or just give you the shipping/packing materials to send it off yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Technically not Mac hardware since it's a third-party accessory, but I've got a Satechi stand & hub for Mac mini that has a slot for a sata m.2 SSD and I'm curious if anyone has this and a preferred m.2 drive for it. Satechi just released an NVMe model, but I'm not replacing this thing a month and a half after I got it, so I'm "stuck" with SATA over a 5 Gbps a USB-C connection. Probably want a 1TB or 2TB drive, since this Mac mini is my now my primary desktop system, relegating my PC to gaming and file hosting only. I guess I'm just looking for a brand/model recommendation for reliability since all the m.2 drives I've ever bought have been NVMe.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Canned Sunshine posted:

I'll second this, as long as it's the MX Master 3

I use one of these at work, would recommend to anyone and everyone needing a mouse

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

I’ve got a 13” 2020 M1 MacBook Pro w/ Touchbar and 8GB of RAM. I’ve been able to talk myself out of upgrading it because I don’t use it very much, though that partially has to do with the small screen and having trouble reading on it at times. I keep thinking about a 15” M2 MBA or 14” M3 MBP, but again talking myself out of it due to worrying I’ll still end up finding it too small after I’ve had it a while, and not using it to really do much other than discord chatting, forum posting, and web browsing.

All that out of the way, Best Buy has a “Geek Squad Certified Refurbished” 14” M1 Pro MBP with 16GB RAM and 512GB of storage for $1233, and that feels like a decent price, especially since trading in my current MBP will take another $600 off, but how much better overall is that computer compared to the one I already have, and is it worth spending $633 on it for what my use case is? A 15” MBA with 16GB of RAM and 1TB storage is $1500, and I can’t see how or why it would be better other than the slightly larger, though probably worse, screen.

Branch Nvidian fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Mar 2, 2024

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

mediaphage posted:

yeah it's a different story if it's available in store vs online at least then you can check it

Unfortunately the M1 Pro MBP isn't in any of the nearby stores and would have to be shipped to me. Looking through the list of what is in stock none of the local stores have refurbished or open-box devices in stock. Part of me want to flip the coin and see how it goes, but with my luck I'd get something that's "certified refurbished" but beaten to poo poo with a swollen battery.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

To confuse things even more, there are two different listings for the MBP in question, one says "geek squad certified refurbished" and the other just says "certified refurbished." They have different SKUs and the non-geek squad one is $100 more (though the "was" price is substantially lower than the cheaper of the two) but nothing to indicate why there is a difference between the SKUs.

Geek Squad Certified Refurbished MacBook Pro 14" Laptop - Apple M1 Pro chip - 16GB Memory - 512GB SSD - Space Gray GSRF MKGP3LL/A

Apple MacBook Pro 14" Certified Refurbished - M1 Pro chip - 8CPU/14GPU with 16GB Memory - 512GB SSD (2021) - Gray MKGP3LL/A

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

mediaphage posted:

does apple sell refurbs at best buy? i notice one has a 90-day warranty (the one with GSRF (geek squad refurb?) in the model number) and one comes with a full one-year warranty (the more expensive one).

Where are you seeing the warranty details for these? Also I don't think it's an Apple refurbished one because the non-GSRF one's "features" says you get the laptop and a non-OEM charger, while the GSRF one says laptop and 67-watt magsafe charger w/ 2 meter cable

e: oh I see it now under the item comparison chart. Since they also offer their own extended warranty on it I'm inclined to think it might be an Apple refurbished device, but that non-OEM charger bit is making me question it along with it only having a single review.

Branch Nvidian fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Mar 3, 2024

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

mediaphage posted:

ahhh, i bet it's some third party refurb then. the deets are under full specs:

Thanks for looking that up. Well, I think I might give the cheaper one a dice roll and if I get a piece of poo poo in the mail I'll return it to one of my local stores and go for the other one or choose a different route. Appreciate the help!

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

lol if you’d have posted yesterday I’d have sold you my 2020 13” M1 MBP for $600

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

kefkafloyd posted:

Used to be that the built-in display was hard-wired to the PHY from the chip. They’ve apparently connected it up to a switch now so it can be used in clamshell mode with a second display.

It won’t satisfy people who want to use three externals or dual externals with the laptop display as a third, but I bet it’ll clear up 90% of the complaints about the Air / base M3 Pro.

However it's configured now, it apparently is/was a software limitation on the base M3 MacBook Pro and it's going to be patched in an update to allow that model to also support two external displays when the lid is shut.

https://9to5mac.com/2024/03/04/14-inch-m3-macbook-pro-multi-display-support/

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

drainpipe posted:

My late 2016 MBP is finally starting to not be able to pull its weight, so I'm gonna pick up one of the new 13" Airs when they come out this week.

When I last bought my laptop, 8GB RAM was plenty for everyday use. Is that still the case? I'm only gonna use it for everyday internet stuff, some non-hardware intensive video games, and hobby programming, so I feel like it should be, but just wanted to double check.

No. You want the 16GB of RAM and it should be criminal that Apple is shipping units with 8GB of RAM in 2024. I have an M2 Mac Mini with 8GB/256GB and it has trouble when I've got five Safari tabs open.

Branch Nvidian fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Mar 4, 2024

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

I would like to stress that I hate ever single thing about this.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

maduin posted:

I’m actually in the market for a new laptop—my current computer is a M1 Air. I was waiting on new Airs, but it seems like a Pro would be worth the ~$500 more for the build I’m wanting (1TB/at least 16GB ram).

I should just buy a Pro, right? There’s no reason to be precious and try to save money if I’m hoping to keep the thing for 5+ years.

Note that the regular M3 MacBook Pro is more of a juiced up MacBook Air. The "real" MacBooks Pro start at the $1999 price with the "M3 Pro" processor. Best Buy has the 18GB/1TB 14" model at $200 off right now: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/apple-...p?skuId=6534615

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

knox_harrington posted:

I don't believe this for a second, yeah maybe 16gb is worthwhile for ~future-proofing~ but 8 is fine for surfing the web

mediaphage posted:

yeah op is doing something else. i do most of my basic web browsing on an m1 mini that's otherwise the same but i have to have a lot of tabs open in both chrome and safari for it to even start struggling

Legitimately don't know what it is I'm doing that is causing the problem. Correction that Discord.app is running also I guess, but I'll open the activity monitor to see why things are slowing down and it'll say my tabs for the forums, youtube, whatever are each at well over a gigabyte of memory after a while. I'm not trying to make bullshit statements, because I am experiencing something, but I'm very open to the idea that I'm doing something "wrong," or otherwise have some usage pattern I haven't noticed, that is causing it.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

The base 13" MacBook Pro, which had the regular M1 processor, shipped with 8GB. The 14" MacBook Pro, with a base M1 Pro processor, started at 16GB though. I assume you meant the latter and just stated the wrong size.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Canned Sunshine posted:

Guessing nothing stands out in Activity Monitor in terms of CPU or memory usage otherwise?

Other than seeing the tab for the forums being over a gig of cached data, no? Firefox seems to be much better about this, so it's possible the issue isn't 8GB of RAM, and it's Safari.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

I've been trying to make the system replicate the slowdown for about an hour now and I've not really been able to, other than just getting some of the tabs to build up high caches. So I've clearly been doing something else that I haven't been accounting for that's causing it to be a problem for me, so I guess just ignore my gripes about 8GB not being enough for basic web browsing usage. I do still think that swinging for 16+ GB of RAM is the smart choice though if it's within budget.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

MacRumors posted:

Apple retail stores now stock a configuration of the entry-level, M3 MacBook Pro with 16GB of unified memory. The configuration, spotted by French website Consomac, is now highlighted as a standard option on Apple's website for $1,999. While the configuration itself is not new, since customers can upgrade from 8GB to 16GB of memory with a $200 build-to-order upgrade, the presence of a new default option offering this configuration allows customers to purchase an M3 MacBook Pro with 16GB of memory without any hardware upgrades. Most notably, it also means that the 16GB machine will be stocked by Apple retail stores and third-party retailers for the first time.

I'm confused as to why anyone would buy this configuration? It's the same price as the M3 Pro variant, which has 18GB of memory, though half the storage, which has gone on sale for as low at $1800 at Best Buy.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

So this "Best BuyTM Geek SquadTM Certified Refurbished" 14" M1 Pro MacBook Pro arrived and it looks nearly immaculate. It passed all the self-service diagnostic tests, and the only issue I’ve found is the very upper right corner has some pretty bad backlight bleed or something. I’m assuming it’s the mini leds, but it’s only bad in that one corner, and completely unnoticeable if I have a non-black background

You can see some blooming around the mouse and to the left of the Macintosh HD icon, but it gets real bad the further towards the corner you go

The screen looks stunning other than that corner, and I'm seeing some other posts about it on reddit, so it might just be a behavior of the screen. I didn't get lucky with AppleCare being on it or the Apple warranty still existing, so it's just got Best Buy's 90 day warranty. Unless anyone here thinks otherwise for a $1230 machine, I'm just gonna say gently caress it and keep it.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Canned Sunshine posted:

That seems like pretty bad blooming? Unless the camera just over-exaggerated it?

I've essentially never seen blooming on my 14" MBP, and I have had a couple mini LED monitors with noticeable/bad blooming by comparison.

It’s not exaggerated, but also I wasn’t totally sure what was normal for blooming on these screens.

trilobite terror posted:

that computer got dropped, son

or it got its corner smooshed, but my money is on dropped

Examining the exterior shell on that corner I can just barely maybe make out what looks like a drop or smoosh mark. It’s really faint, so I’m not even sure I can get it on camera.

I’ll check with Best Buy and see exactly what their 90 day warranty actually covers and if they won’t do anything about it I’ll just return it. Kinda sucks, but honestly this is better condition that I expected to get. Probably just need to resign myself to spending an extra $600 on an M3 Pro.

Branch Nvidian fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Mar 7, 2024

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Canned Sunshine posted:

Yeah, first just see if BB will repair it under the warranty; I think the Geek Squad is certified for Apple device repairs? If they're willing to replace the display panel, you might come out with a new display and no extra cost.

Gonna try this, and if they refuse to service/replace it under warranty I’ll just process the return. Was mentioned to me by someone else that that corner is going to be a fedex arrow and I’m going to notice it forever, and knowing myself they’re right.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

So the guy at geek squad, who of course acted like my very human existence was a problem, said the refurb 90-day warranty just means I can return something during that timeframe if it becomes defective. They won’t repair anything under that warranty unless the original oem’s warranty is still valid.

So now I have an M3 Pro 18GB/512GB Neo-BlackBook Pro, which is what I should have just done in the first place.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

knox_harrington posted:

Looking forward to hearing how the Safari stress test goes

:v:

Safari was running fine on the M1 Pro I just returned, so clearly it'll be fine on the 18GB. Whatever was/is causing my issue on my 8GB Mac Mini is clearly just resulting in me noticing it in Safari, I just need to determine what it is that I was doing that I wasn't properly accounting for.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Maudib Arakkis posted:

Well now the M3 air is suppsed to arrive at the store the 26. Bit of a fail all things considered.

However, I just realized that this is the first time I will be actively using two mac computers. My M1 16 inch pro and the M3 air. Usually with say an ipad, the mess basically clones the apps that you have on your phone and everything. When I fire up the new Air I suppose that won't be the case. Am I going to be on some mess where I have multiple file versions going? or will it sync over Icloud?

For example I use obsidian. Is obsidian going to be restored from icloud or whatever and just be on my new M3? The obsidian files are in a folder thats in Icloud. Kind of a messy mess. I would the two computers to just be an exact reflection of another. If I change something on one, save something on one, etc, it should be on the other. How close will I get to achieving that?

Use Migration Assistant to effectively clone your existing Mac onto the other one when you set it up, and then in the Settings app, under your account name go to iCloud > Apps Using iCloud > iCloud Drive > turn on the check for “Desktop & Documents Folders” on both computers. It won’t keep the devices in perfect sync outside of those two folders once you start actually using the devices, but it will share enough that I think it will accomplish most of what you’re wanting.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

teagone posted:

I started a new job and they hooked me up with a 2022 Mac Studio that has an M1 Ultra. My boss said to let him know what displays I want to use with it, as the ones I have right now are just temporary. Budget isn't really a concern, he just said long as they're not like $800 for each monitor it's fine, lol. Does the M1 Ultra Mac Studio support 4K 144+ Hz displays? I'd only need 2. Reading the spec sheet, I don't think it can do 4K 144+ Hz over HDMI, but would it be possible over the Type-C/Thunderbolt ports? If so, any recommendations? I'll be doing some creative work inside Photoshop/Illustrator and some video editing eventually, so decent color accuracy out the box without having to calibrate much would be nice.

https://support.apple.com/kb/SP865?locale=en_US
Video Support
Simultaneously supports up to five displays:

Support for up to four Pro Display XDRs (6K resolution at 60Hz and over a billion colors) over USB-C and one 4K display (4K resolution at 60Hz and over a billion colors) over HDMI

Thunderbolt 4 digital video output supports

Native DisplayPort output over USB‑C
Thunderbolt 2, DVI, and VGA output supported using adapters (sold separately)

HDMI display video output

Support for one display with up to 4K resolution at 60Hz
DVI output using HDMI to DVI Adapter (sold separately)

According to folks on reddit 4K at up to 240Hz works over the thunderbolt/usb-c to displayport cables. HDMI is fixed to 4K 60Hz though.

Branch Nvidian fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Mar 10, 2024

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

I don't have any personal experience with the system, just what I can find online. $4000 base configuration is very much out of my affordability range, and even then I'd never actually be able to put it to good use.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Kind of funny that they would buy a mac studio but then penny pinch on the displays, but i guess that's the way it is. Probably your best bang-for-buck if you're doing things that need color calibration would be the ASUS ProArt Creator monitors. They're 4K 60Hz, but they should get the job done, and Newegg has them on a slight discount.

https://www.newegg.com/asus-pa279crv-27-uhd/p/N82E16824281253

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

OldSenileGuy posted:

Obviously there's a war raging on the internets about whether or not 8GB of RAM in the base level M3 MacBook Air is "enough." The consensus seems to be "yeah it's enough if all you do is everyday browsing and YouTube and document editing."

However - I remember hearing that same argument when I bought my MacBook Air 1.6gHz i5 in 2018. And it WAS enough for a while, but now 6 years later this machine is slow as poo poo to do most tasks - wake up from sleep, change user, launch Safari or any apps, etc. I even tried a fresh OS install and it's still slow.

If I want a "general use" machine that's going to be smoothly usable for a decade - will doing the upgrade to 24GB of memory help achieve that? Or is that just throwing money away and I'm being a little naive to think that a laptop in this day and age should work smoothly for a decade. If it'll help me squeeze a few extra years of use out of the machine, an extra $400 isn't really that much to spend.

RAM in Apple Silicon Macs is not exactly analogous to RAM in a PC laptop or PC desktop, but not so different as Apple's marketing guy says ("8GB on Mac is like 16GB on PC"). Without rehashing the last few pages, I'd say that if you intend to keep a machine for about a decade then it makes sense to spend some extra money now to increase the specification and avoid having to buy a new machine in half the time. 8GB is "fine," but if you plan to do literally anything beyond watching youtube and looking at twitter or whatever, you're going to want the extra RAM. I haven't watched enough of this guy's stuff to know how full of poo poo he is or isn't, but he talks about video editing on an M3 iMac with 8GB of RAM, and maybe it'll give you an idea of whether it works for you or not. Note that an iMac has active cooling in it though, so the chip in the Air will reach its thermal limit sooner and throttle since it's passively cooled.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bPPjAdJr_o

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Twerk from Home posted:

Every single refresh makes 8GB even less defensible. I advocated for the 8GB M1 Air base config, but I would not buy an M3 air 3.5 years later with that configuration. It really is a sick joke at this point, and sure you might be able to barely tiptoe by with 8GB at this instant, but the coming years will not be kind.

Anybody buying an M3 should be getting 16GB, and if your budget doesn't stretch there you should be getting used / refurb M1 or M2.

Honestly agreed. It does feel like the 8GB models are still there so Apple can claim a lower "starting at" price even though they really should just start at the 16GB models, even if that means the base prices of everything goes up by $200 (which it shouldn't because an extra 8GB of RAM doesn't cost that much even if it's unified).

There is also the option of a refurbished M2 Pro Macbook Pro for $1600, which is $100 more than a 13" M3 Air w/ 16GB of RAM and 512GB of storage, or $100 less than a 15" M3 MacBook Air specced to 16GB of RAM and 512GB of storage.

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/...-gpu-space-gray

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

The only real push back I'd give about going with SSD over RAM is that you can always add a physically small external SSD of whatever capacity you want, while you can't expand the RAM in any way.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Maudib Arakkis posted:

It’s not tho? A 13 inch m3 same specs is barely more than that

A 13 inch m3 same specs is $200 more and has a smaller screen. It’s not a terrible deal.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Maudib Arakkis posted:

M3 air not coming till the 26. Ask customer service to hurry up and they said it’s a “ custom order. Bro, I copped the dang thing by pressing button on your website. It’s not exactly bespoke

Anything that is modified results in being "built to order," and not just off the shelf available, and before you place the order it gives a delivery timeframe. And even if you ordered the 15" M3 Air 16GB/512GB the website clearly states that delivery of those is scheduled for March 21-28th, likely due to a shortage of units.

Customer service can't just "hurry up" and go get one from a pile they keep sitting in the office to send out to you or something. There are supply lines and shipping times that have to be accounted for. Do you actually not know this or do you just have your head up your rear end and enjoy giving customer service reps a hard time because it's inconvenient for you to wait?

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Canned Sunshine posted:

He’s also the source of one of the funniest SA Mart threads of all time.

You can't just blue ball us like that. Link that poo poo.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Noticing a strange trend regarding posters with Dune-themed usernames. Probably just a coincidence.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Considering that Apple just discontinued those models, I wouldn't be surprised if Apple and Walmart worked out a deal for Walmart to offload them for fairly cheap.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Anticipating the deluge of low-subscriber youtube tech channels uploading "I BOUGHT A MACBOOK.... FOR GAMING?!?!?!!?!?!" videos featuring these units, only to result in the usual "it didn't go as planned!" conclusions.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Eletriarnation posted:

But, in this case, they seem to be positioning it as a premium model - relative to Wal-Mart's other typical offerings, at least. I don't know if the goal is just "we want to try to sell these old M1 MBAs however we can", or if it's more of a long game ploy to attract customers who wouldn't normally consider Apple.

Considering this is the first, and only, Apple computer to be sold directly through Walmart, the plan here seems to be "we want to try to sell these old M1 MBAs however we can," rather than having an expectation of it driving someone to go to Apple.com or another store. As mentioned, while there are competing Windows laptops in that same price bracket available from Walmart, I would absolutely suggest these are a premium option, even with it's lower RAM and storage capacity, for an average user shopping at Walmart.

To top all that off, the person who ends up buying one of these is someone looking to spend $650-700 on a laptop, and not someone looking for a great deal on an Apple laptop. These are drastically different buyers and the former is going to see a MacBook in this price range and think "oh my god, I can get a MacBook!" while the latter is going to see it and think "Hmm, that's not a bad price, but I can probably find something with better specs for not terribly much more."

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Eletriarnation posted:

e: I don't think that they would go "Wow, Apple! Neat idea!" and then proceed to buy a more expensive model off apple.com, but if they ended up buying this model and liking it more than their previous PCs they might well say "Hey, I want to get another Mac next time."

I can absolutely see that happening because it's exactly what happened to my dad. He saw I had a MacBook and an iMac that I liked, and knew they had a reputation for being pretty long-lasting computers if taken care of, so he bought a 2012 iMac for my mother and then got the first retina MBP for himself and he's been 100% sold on Apple hardware ever since. It's a frictionless experience for him and he's made the computers last (my brother is still using that rMBP to this day). All his previous Windows PCs (generally Dell) he got maybe 2 or 3 years out of before they started making GBS threads themselves, running slow, having mechanical failures, etc. so he sees the longevity of the Apple products making them actually be cheaper over time than an equivalently priced Windows system from Dell or HP.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

serebralassazin posted:

I have a Dell Ultrasharp I use with a M2 Mac mini and it uses YCbCr by default. I think I remember tinkering around to see if I could get it to use RGB but I don't do anything needing color accuracy so didn't care enough to actually fix it.

I’m curious if this is a Dell issue or an Apple issue. I have t actually checked on my LG to see if it’s doing RGB or YCbCr, but I can see Tim Apple wanting an inferior external display experience thinking it might push people to the $5000 6K Pro Display XDR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

drwiii posted:

I'll stay with the 2009 Macbook pro that broke the company. Linux is doing way better than what the corporate slaves have tried to do to the MacOS and Windows to get people to buy more worth points.

:thumbsup: