Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Hell yeah the MX Master series is so good. I had two 2S, one for home and one for travel, and replaced the batteries I loved them so much. I’ve heard great things about the upright one, too, for fellow ergonomics weirdos.

I swapped for a CADmouse and Spacemouse combo because I got a wicked deal for them through work. I only miss it a little bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Screencap the QR code, save to iCloud Photos, pull it up on the Air, when the Air takes over your iPhone camera scan the code on the Air screen?

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I moved over from my Chromecast Ultra to the Apple TV, it’s night and day. Also Steam Link actually works great on it, so it’s been nice playing couch video games.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Yeah I got a UPS mail innovation thing today too, so that was nice.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Ok Comboomer posted:

it says the thread is closed

If you read the entire OP you’d see the new link :v:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4041710&perpage=40&pagenumber=1&noseen=1

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

FlapYoJacks posted:

Just switched from a Chromecast to an Apple TV and the difference is night and day. Well worth the $130. Hulu is a laggy pile of garbage on the Chromecast.

Easily one of my best moves, especially since the Apple TV can locally decode Plex.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

BUUNNI posted:

Is the Magic Trackpad worth getting? I find myself wishing I could quickly use the gestures to switch program to program rather than ctrl+up arrow, especially when I’m using something like ArcGIS on Parallels and need to switch out to the browser. But I’m not sure if it’s going to be too difficult to use for precision stuff. I use my Air docked a lot.

Also looking for an Apple mechanical keyboard but I know the official ones are pricey and not that special so I’m looking at a Keychron one… if anyone has any suggestions it would be appreciated.

I’ve got a Keychron arriving Tuesday and I’m putting Cherry MX Green switches in there, I’m happy to trip report if that sounds up your alley.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

BUUNNI posted:

Yes please! Looking at the NuPhy keyboards now, so many decisions to make >.<

🫡

LionArcher posted:

If you get a keychron, please don’t get from them, but via Amazon instead. Fine beginning level keyboard s, terrible customer service company.

Best in stock (or about to be) mechanical keyboards that have Apple quality? Try Mode keyboards.

Ope! I default to ignoring Amazon, but hopefully it’ll be here Tuesday or so. I had looked at Code but I had some sticker shock. It’s cool to be able to swap switches, so maybe if I love some I’ll splash on Code :v:

E:

SourKraut posted:

I got excited for a moment looking at these, then realized they don't have a version with the numpad.

The one I got has a keyboard:

https://www.keychron.com/products/keychron-v6-qmk-custom-mechanical-keyboard

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Busy Bee posted:

And I would also need to download the DisplayLink software onto my Mac? What do you mean when you say it works fine for displays I'm not constantly interacting with?

Probably either the plain M2 or the Pro. Definitely not the Max.

DisplayLink is an over-USB protocol to send monitor data over, well, USB.

USB is severely bandwidth limited compared to HDMI, DisplayPort, etc. this means that there’s a lot of picking and choosing DisplayLink needs to do.

Email, calendar, reference images, whatever are all fine because they don’t need to refresh a lot based on user input. Your active browsing window or whatever it is you’re working on that second aren’t great choices.

There is a lot of software that doesn’t behave well over DisplayLink (especially CAD software), so if you’re using anything less popular than Microsoft office it might be worth googling “softwarename DisplayLink bug” and see if anything comes up.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

njsykora posted:

It’s come up in the iPhone thread lately that Sony and Apple seem to have a thing going since the DualSense is always what they use when showing someone playing games on an iThing.

It goes much further back! I’m pretty sure this is the correct video, I’m on mobile.

https://youtu.be/UQSKWOw-sZc?si=oM6rTk5CxxRwPIPG

It talks about Apple wanting to partner with Sony to use this platform for Macintosh PCs if I recall correctly. Just fun trivia.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Hikaki posted:

I have my M1P on a monitor that supports only G-Sync and adaptive sync doesn't show up as an option, so I think it's safe to say that only FreeSync is supported.

Regular G-Sync branded monitors used an FPGA to drive variable refresh control, this and Freesync Premium both use hardware to control refresh rate.

G-Sync Compatible branded monitors uses a similar implementation to Freesync, just with a certification.

I think G-Sync Ultimate and Freesync Premium Pro have some HDR things on top of the hardware based thing.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Ok Comboomer posted:

post Costco deals when they happen

Just rules for life right there

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I’d go pretty bananas for a MacBook Pro if my CAD and CAM software could run on there. Similar products like Dell Precision or HP ZBook are about the same price wise.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Maudib Arakkis posted:

was waiting for the next line of macbook airs to maybe cop a small one to travel with instead of the 16 inch pro. After trying the Vision Pro I shan't be copping any new laptop. Dead paradigm.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Ngl a friend of mine loves trackballs so I might get him one for Christmas

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Steam link on Apple TV whips for couch gaming

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Badly Jester posted:

Aside from my gaming PC being ancient at this point, my experience with Steam Link is pretty disappointing. With everything being wired, I still get stuff like compression artifacts in dark scenes and other, random drops in performance. What I really want is GeForce Now on Apple TV, but I don't see happening any time soon .

Sucks to hear, it’s working out for me. GeForce Now could be on the way with recent updates:

https://www.pcgamer.com/apple-appstore-opens-up-to-game-streaming-including-nvidias-geforce-now/