Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
All hail the new (October, lighter, thinner) model HP Spectre x360 as the new best Apple laptop?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

eames posted:

So do the new MBPs get Kaby Lake or just a frequency bump and faster SSD?

If they have the onboard H265 decoding, they have to be Kaby. I don't think Skylake has that capability.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

So make an awesome Hackintosh instead. The great thing about the iMac Pro is that it makes support for expensive Xeons and unreleased Vega parts a certainty for at least the next 3-4 years.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

wooger posted:

Literally a NUC + a firmware update to make it run MacOS would be fine.

Asrock DeskMini + i5-6500 + 8gb RAM + SSD = Most powerful Mac Mini* ever made for less than $500

*Hackintosh

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

involves a lot hours loving with a computer though

An hour to follow a step-by-step guide, or paying the same price for a 2014 used Mac Mini from Ebay that's half as fast. As a computer toucher, I know what I would do.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

How generous of Apple!

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

well why not posted:

That's great news but let me post something snarky instead!

LMAO. Consumers are allowed to be down on Apple, who have disallowed user upgrades on almost every machine they've produced since 2012.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Not officially supported, no, but there's ways to install Sierra (and probably High Sierra too) on Macs all the way back to 2008.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

I mean, sure, I could build a pretty beastly hackintosh for $650, but gently caress that noise.

For $650 you could build a Hackintosh with performance unrivaled by any real Mac in existence, until the $5-10k iMac Pro model comes out.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

landgrabber posted:

this is like, factually untrue, if you're saying that a $650 hackintosh would destroy any non-Mac Pro/iMac Pro computer. I love Windows and custom PCs more for serious work (better adobe performance), but it's pretty drat difficult to get a quad core intel chip, 8 GB of RAM, and a hybrid drive in a good case for 650. Cheap boards don't really have good I/O so if you like ports (currently the iMac has good IO and the Mac mini had good I/O in it's day (and still packs a punch if you dgaf about USB-C and TB3)) that's gonna be more cash than going on PCPP and sorting by lowest price for compatible boards.

I put this together in 5 minutes. The deal hunter in me tells me that you could put together this same build for $100 less if you can find parts on sale. The Deskmini barebones was $99 a few weeks ago, for example.

This setup would rival even the $3000 Mac Pro, until you exceeded workloads that use more than 8 threads.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

1st AD posted:

lol no it wouldn't, especially in the kind of use case that the Mac Pro was designed around.

The i7 has better single core performance, with half as many threads as the 8/16 e5.

So yeah, the i7 would be faster than the $4000 Mac Pro, until you tried to render some video in Final Cut, or something.

bobfather fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jun 15, 2017

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

FCKGW posted:

no one gives a poo poo about your garbage hackintosh

Fair. Just throwing it out there that there are other options than paying $350 for a Mac Mini from 2012.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

This is silly. Just forego X86 and move Macs to ARM. Apple has been able to do it for years but hasn't yet for reasons.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

hatty posted:

How is ARM windows in Parallels anyway?

Incredible. I only use it to run some graphing/stats software, but Windows 11 loads and runs like it’s native and W11’s x64 emulation is fast as hell on a MacBook Air.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

frogbs posted:

Has anyone seen any deals on 13" Macbook Airs (M1 or M2) with 16gb of RAM? I've seen tons of deals on 8gb ones, but it doesn't seem like 16gb ones are being discounted anywhere. I guess I could always go the refurb route.

Best deal right now is a 16/512 Apple Refurbed 14” MacBook Pro for $1200 if you have a Micro Center nearby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Shaocaholica posted:

Buying an M1 MacBook Pro from a friend who got it gifted from their former employer. If he does a ‘erase all content and settings’ and it goes through fine that means there’s not secret former employer lock on it right? Not sure how the latest macs (hidden?) corpo security works and how to check for it.

After wiping it, it’ll download the MDM (if there is one) as soon as it connects to the internet.

However, it’s pretty trivial to bypass an MDM certificate if there is no lock on recovery mode.