Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Momonari kun
Apr 6, 2002
Yes, you needed video.
So my old 2.4 iMac and ATI 2600 would be destroyed by the new Mac mini, correct? I think if I can sell the iMac for $800-$900ish (inflated prices here in Korea) I can get the i7 Mac mini with the upgraded graphics and a monitor for only about $200.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Momonari kun
Apr 6, 2002
Yes, you needed video.
Stupid question, but if I get a new Mac Mini, can I use a cloned image of my current iMac's hard drive to boot Snow Leopard? I'm kind of worried about some Power PC apps I have that i don't want to upgrade yet (some old Power PC OS X games, old Final Cut of which I need to install to use the upgrade I have). Would running Snow Leopard as a VM be possible?

Edit: I would assume the graphics card would be the biggest issue, as it's the first time a 6630m has appeared in a Mac.

Momonari kun
Apr 6, 2002
Yes, you needed video.

japtor posted:

You can run 10.6 in a VM, albeit the licensing only allows the Server version, so for client you'd need to do some simple hacking from what I've heard. No clue whether or not it'll have the performance you need. Does your old version of Final Cut not work in Lion for sure?

The old Final Cut is PowerPC, along with my old Final Draft. I have an intel upgrade for Final Cut, but it needs the old version installed. Final Draft is just ancient software, but it works perfectly. I'm currently deciding which direction to go for software (get Avid, Premeire, upgrade Final Draft or use open source software, etc.), but also need access to my old files in the future, just in case I go in a different direction. Money's tight too, so I can't keep around this iMac if I get a new mini. I think the only way my wife agrees is if it costs only $300 or so to upgrade, which my whole sell iMac before get mini scheme is all about.

Momonari kun
Apr 6, 2002
Yes, you needed video.
I asked when it was new, but was wondering now that people have had time with them. How is the Mac Mini for gaming? I like games a bit, prefer using Macs, and want a semi-portable machine for cheap. I'm playing mostly older games, but would also like to play stuff around the Witcher 2 level. I'm looking at the Core i7 Mac Mini with the AMD graphics card for about $1200 with AppleCare (I live in Korea, prices are inflated), but would I be better getting a base mini for Mac stuff (about $950 with AppleCare) and a $400 PC for gaming? It's more money than the mini, but even at $400, I'm not sure how good it'll be. The processor in the mini will be faster (i7 versus Athlon II), but graphics I'm not sure about.

Momonari kun
Apr 6, 2002
Yes, you needed video.
I do video editing on my Mac, so a faster processor will help me there, but it's not crucial. Whatever I get will be way faster than my current machine. I'm also wanting to have something semi-portable, and an iMac won't cut it. The only refurbs they have here are last year's models, and they start at $1500. I do video work, so an i7 seems like a good idea to me. The PC I'm looking at is an Athlon X4 with a 1GB AMD 5770 for about $500. Not sure how much faster that is than the mini, but if I get the mini and the PC, it'll be about $300 more expensive. Maybe it'll be better to get the mini and hope for a Thunderbolt card in the future.

Momonari kun
Apr 6, 2002
Yes, you needed video.
I'm getting some distortion and popping in the sound on Windows XP on my Core 2 Duo iMac that has been around since I first installed, but I've never bothered to fix it. Are there any alternative drivers I can use to try out other than the basic boot camp ones?

Momonari kun
Apr 6, 2002
Yes, you needed video.
Quick question about Macbook Air 11 inch. My wife is going to be running Windows VM almost every day, so will the i7 upgrade be worth it? Mostly basic stuff on both OS X and Windows, but coming from a Core2Duo running similar, I definitely would like more speed. She's coming from a hilariously old laptop (7 years old), though,so maybe it won't matter much.

Momonari kun
Apr 6, 2002
Yes, you needed video.
How much faster is a 2010 27 inch iMac than a 2007 20 inch iMac? That's a 2.8 Ghz i5 (760) with a Radeon HD 5750 1 GB vs a 2.4 Ghz Core 2 Duo with a Radeon HD 2600 Pro 256 MB. I'm in the market for a gaming PC, but want to do Mac stuff as well, and don't want two monitors (my iMac and the monitor for the PC). The old 27 inch is the only option, as it can do video input, and it's a swanky monitor.

The other option is get a Mac mini, but running the numbers, I'd not really save much money at all, and I think the i5 in the iMac would be faster for video rendering because it's quad core compared to the dual core in the mini. The graphics card is also probably faster, and although I have no illusions about gaming at full resolution, I think I could probably hold off on buying a gaming PC for at least another year if I were to get the 27 inch iMac.

Edit: Looking at my post history in this thread, I've been trying to talk myself into getting rid of this iMac for like six months now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Momonari kun
Apr 6, 2002
Yes, you needed video.

flyboi posted:

Dont expect to play any reasonably new games on high settings with any mac due to the gpus they use. I found building a gaming rig for my games worked well, but you probably don't want two computers so not sure what you can do regarding that. Comparing the two it is more powerful, although the 2011 with Sandy Bridge smokes them both.

If you're ok playing games on low quality then go for it otherwise I'd think twice.

Well, I kind of want to play the games I play now, just faster. If I could play games at 1680x1050 or even 1920x1080 faster than my computer does now, I might hold off on getting a gaming PC until next year. I don't really play new/demanding games all that much. My rule is under $10 on Steam, so it works pretty well on my current machine, but I'm hitting a few walls, and the inevitable upgrades got me thinking.

Edit: New Vegas is about as new as I'm hoping, and it runs acceptably well on my current machine.

Momonari kun fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Mar 12, 2012