Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

There's no way that you'll be waiting 1-2 months from Amazon. I bet it will ship within a week or two. The Macbook Air is popular but it's not on the iPad level, I think they are just being very conservative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

According to Apple these can use AirDrop

MacBook Pro (Late 2008 or newer)*
MacBook Air (Late 2010 or newer)
MacBook (Late 2008 or newer)*
iMac (Early 2009 or newer)
Mac Mini (Mid 2010 or newer)
Mac Pro (Early 2009 with AirPort Extreme card, or Mid 2010)

* The MacBook Pro (17-Inch Late 2008) and the white MacBook (Late 2008) do not support AirDrop.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

You'd probably be better off selling the SSD separately.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Looked on the Apple site and it looks like the SSD upgrades are reasonable on the 15" MBP. I'd get it then for the peace of mind of Applecare covering everything.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

You have to call them and they can charge you and register it over the phone.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

He should try that then, i wasn't aware you could do that. They will do it over the phone though as well.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The Air is the most advanced laptop they've designed, I'd definitely get that over the MBP. Yeah it won't play Battlefield 3 but I'd consider that a minor con.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Sinestro posted:

Should I get a iMac and a 13" Macbook Air or a 15" MBP and an Apple Thunderbolt Display?

I love my 27" iMac and iPad setup. That said I'd avoid the TB display because it's not really a good value. You can get a refurbished 27" iMac which has the same display for $1269, just a little more than the cost of just the display.

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/imac/27?mco=MjEwNzM3NDE

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Aug 11, 2011

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

You'll still save some cash if you buy the MBP from Amazon (no tax) and get the SSD from elsewhere. You can get the Crucial M4 128gig SSD for $230. As a bonus you get that extra hard disk that you can throw in an enclosure. When I think about it though I'd probably just get it from Apple, it's nice having Applecare covering everything.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I wouldn't worry about resell value, just get the configuration you want right now that will make you happy. Used Macs are always in great demand and you won't have trouble selling it.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Jolan posted:

Does anyone have any gaming experience with the 27" iMac with the core i5 processor and the 2gb graphics card? I'm thinking of getting back into games when I start a more quiet job, and I'm torn between heavily upgrading my old rig or going for that iMac with a Windows dual boot. So how does that iMac perform game-wise?

These are my specs. The iMac is about a year old and runs pretty much any game I've tried with smooth frame rates. I usually bump down the resolution a little so I can crank up the effects though. So far I'm playing Borderlands, Starcraft 2 Mass Effect 2, Dawn of War 2, Batman Arkham Asylum, and all the Valve games without any problems. As long as you understand you won't be playing games at 2560 x 1440 you're set.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Aug 11, 2011

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

This worked beautifully! I know in the past I had to use Mobility Modder to get newer Catalyst packages, but it's nice to know that they just work straight from AMD now. Thanks!

Any noticeable changes/improvements?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

If you're in school the iPad is definitely the luxury. Having a small laptop with an awesome keyboard owns. There's nothing the iPad can do that the MBA can't.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

You should also consider upgrading the hard drive with an SSD. It only adds 5 minutes of work while you're adding the RAM. If you have an extra $220 or so you can get a 128gig SSD and you'll never look back at hard drives again. Put the 750gig onto an external case.

Looks like Apple charges $200 on the lower 15" and $100 on the higher 15" for the 128gig ssd upgrade if you want it done from the factory.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Aug 21, 2011

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

KidDynamite posted:

Apple uses torx screws on their internals, correct? Just asking because I'm going to pick up tools for my SSD installation.

I used a #00 philips and a T6 torx to upgrade my 2010 Macbook Pro with an SSD

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Looks like normal wear after 2 years

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

zenthursdays posted:

-Pop in installation disc and power up

Or do I need to do some type of formatting before OSX installation? Windows and Linux installation discs I've used allow you to format/partition and select the target drive for the OS so I assume that is the case with OSX.

Also, am I able to reconfigure the thing as it was shipped to take advantage of Apple Care, or is there some way they can tell I've opened the case and I'm SOL?

Thanks for any help. :)

When you boot into the Lion CD it will let you format the drive. They don't really have a way to tell if you've opened it up unless you break something, definitely put it back the way it was before taking it in for service. They didn't give me any trouble about my third party RAM or upgraded hard drive, but it's better to be safe. Opening the case doesn't void the warranty. I think the only thing that does void the warranty is if you replace the battery.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Aug 28, 2011

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I bought a Cube in 2005 because I thought they were the coolest. Realized they sucked and sold it a month later.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The Genius has to yank the glass off as well when they work on it. How would they know if it was you?

Looking at this guide it looks more involved than I'd like but I'd probably do it after the warranty runs out on mine to upgrade whatever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3w6E2_XqaBw

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Sep 11, 2011

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Also (not sure if you already knew this and were kidding), the purpose of popping a small SSD in with a big HDD is to put all of your system and program files on the SSD- which is really fast- and your media and docs on the HDD- which isn't.

---Sorta beaten

The thing is that Apple only has the option of paying $600 for a 256gig SSD. Why not offer a cheaper 128gig option since the huge hard drive is already there for storage?

And yeah I upgraded my 15" MBP using a small phillips and a T6 Torx screw which are standard parts you can buy in any hardware store.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Jolan posted:

Thank you for your answer.

I just found out that iMacs have four RAM slots instead of just two, as I thought it had. Can I keep the 2*2GB that's already in there and just stick, for example, 2*6GB next to it? Or would this have issues compared to just replacing everything with 2*8GB?

I have 2x2x4 and it runs fine.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

There aren't that many demanding PC games now. Developers learned that lowering requirements means more people can buy your game.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Kilometers Davis posted:

With all the reasonably decent laptops coming out, why would someone buy an apple product if they don't want OSX? I just don't understand it. It seems likena huge waste of money.

What are these decent laptops? They pretty much pale in comparison of the MBA design IMO. A lot of them are more expensive than the Mac too.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Anyone remember this 30 minute Apple infomercial? It used to be on all the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdqe5fu8A30

I remember being amazed that the kid was writing a school report on Martin Luther King Jr and he put a postage stamp sized video clip right into the paper! And I think that's the kid from The Sandlot

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's certainly faster than the 2008 MBP

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

My 27" imac would blind me if I had brightness all the way up. I leave it at just 4 or 5 bars, less than 30% of the max brigthness and it's fine. Glossiness sucks but you get used to it.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Jack's Flow posted:

Is anyone already using a Macbook + Thunderbolt Display setup? If so, how do you like the new display? After playing around with the Macbook Air of a friend (again), I'm really considering to sell my 27" iMac and get a 11" Air + Apple display instead. I really want to have a portable computer again, too.

You can buy a 27" iMac with the exact same TB Display for $300 more than the cost of the display. Is it really worth selling your whole iMac? You wont get that much money for it I think, better to just save a bit more and buy the Air.

http://www.macconnection.com/IPA/Shop/Product/Detail.htm?sku=11822923&cac=BrandsItem

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Sep 24, 2011

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Who has IPS display laptops? The only one I can think of is the Thinkpad X220

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Apple is the only place you can configure it with better video cards/processors on a few models. Otherwise I stick to Amazon, Macmall, Macconnection because they don't charge tax.

Apple's site also sell refurbished models (good as new, same warranty) for lower prices. I got a 2010 MBP for about 30% off.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Oh yeah, California is about to be added to that list so my love affair with Amazon will be over :(

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Nooooooooooo

quote:

Under the deal, the retailing giant will rekindle its relationship with its California affiliates and has promised to create at least 10,000 full-time jobs and hire 25,000 seasonal employees in the state by the end of 2015.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/09/23/jerry-brown-amazon-tax-compromise_n_978287.html

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Probably wants a sexier Aluminum model

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

$80 is just how much AC adapters cost, Lenovo charges even more for the Thinkpads.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I wouldn't bother with Bootcamp on a Macbook Air, SSD space is tight enough as it is. If you play SC2 at 720p it will run fine on the Air.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Unicomp makes a buckling-spring Mac keyboard. It weighs like 4 pounds. I wish it was ten keyless and wireless.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I'm trying out a Magic Trackpad with my iMac and am having some problems with Firefox.

How do I go forward or back? The gesture works in Safari but not in Firefox.

Is there a way to make it so that I can open links in a new tab without having to right click first?

Things are a lot easier with my Logitech mouse...

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

~Coxy posted:

Again, I'm not trying to be obnoxious here but I don't understand why you wouldn't just buy that Filco? Sure you'd have to spend 5 minutes setting up the keys in Sys Prefs...

Doesn't it cost over $300?

E: nm I was looking at another model

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Oct 6, 2011

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

kapalama posted:

There is a wired tenkeyless Apple keyboard already, made by Apple. It may not be sold in the continental US (I don't live there), but I have used the Wired Apple keyboard without a key pad. Looks just like the bluetooth one but with a cable. I am sure time spent on eBay will get one sent to you, since the votes are split on it.

Or am I missing what you are saying?

Those aren't mechanical keyboards.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I wish Coconut Battery would be banned from this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Bob Morales posted:

Probably a dumb question, but does Apple sell any open-box machines at the physical stores or do they all get sent back to Apple and sold at the refurb store online?

The Apple Store nearest to me had monthly fire sales of open box items including Macs. It was usually on the last Friday of the month. This was like 4 years ago, it might have changed.