Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

There are companies that sell individual key caps + silicone spring + scissor retainer for about $5 per key, so if the damage to your keyboard is not effecting other functionality, you could do that. Pretty pricy for a full keyboard, but it's an option if he condition of the keyboard bothers you.

http://www.replacementlaptopkeys.com/servlet/the-5734/Apple-Black-Macbook-AIR/Detail

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apr 7, 2003

nervana posted:

Is there any reason why the keys are switched in mac vs windows? wondering if there was any reason or if it is just a case of "it just is"

Completely separate parallel paths of evolution.

Apr 7, 2003

What flavor curry was it?

Apr 7, 2003

Nice.

Apr 7, 2003

Housh posted:

I have a 15” maxed 2016 for a while now. Wasn’t worth the price. It’s super dainty and I have zero confidence in the video card or the cooling system. I stopped having keyboard problems after I flushed all the dust out of it though.

It’s an overall meh. Get a 2015 and then buy the 2020 model once Apple is Great Again.

I got two 13" non-touchbar MBPs to replace a mid-2012 MacBook Air and a mid-2012 MacBook Pro 15". My wife actually prefers the new laptop because it's smaller and regrets buying the larger MBP to begin with. Pretty happy with them for now and hope to get five years out of them like I did their predecessors.

IAmKale posted:

What're the odds of them making a MacBook keyboard that uses force touch or whatever it's called to simulate tactile key presses? The keys could offer tactility without any moving parts for crumbs to get under and gently caress up! It doesn't seem like too much of a stretch what with the shallow key movement on the 2016 and 2017 keyboards...

What's the benefit?

Apr 7, 2003

Evis posted:

Courage is going to mean merging the iPad and MacBook product lines, not bringing back function keys.

I like to laugh at the people who think an ARM cpu in a laptop is going to provide adequate performance.

Apr 7, 2003

Housh posted:

Moisturize your face or beard dandruff will disable your keyboard

Another reason to ban beards

Apr 7, 2003

Canned Sunshine posted:

Has anyone done a trade-in of a laptop in person at the Apple Store? I'm wondering if you order a laptop that's backordered/weeks out, do they take the trade-in immediately, or let you use it until the new laptop arrives?

I know from past experience when the trade-in is online, they wait till the new one shows up, but wasn't sure how the in-person process works.

I had the trade-in partner send my laptop back as “not as described” and it came back filthy when I’d sent it in pristine condition. Took it to the Apple Store to explain what happened and they took it there and cut me a paper check.

Apr 7, 2003

Got an M3 Max 40 core gpu version and it gets 30 fps in Dominions 5, not sure where all the social media hooting about how it rivals a RTX 3080 comes from.

Apr 7, 2003

xgalaxy posted:

I got a ploopy classic and it’s the best god damned trackball I’ve ever used.
All other trackballs I’ve ever used have problems because they use those lovely ceramic bearings.
The ploopy uses metal bearings, which make it loud, but the ball glides smooth as butter.
Also, the ploopy is programmable with QMK and has a really good sensor.

https://ploopy.co/classic-trackball/

Hang on while I spend my real world money on a "ploopy"

Apr 7, 2003

I mean, Apple is mostly right about 8gb on Apple Silicon being different from 8gb on Intel/Windows and most users aren't going to notice the difference. It's just funny that they went backwards on base memory, even the 13" M1 base model had 16gb.

Apr 7, 2003

mediaphage posted:

the m1 air absolutely shipped with 8 gigs

I meant the M1 pro

Apr 7, 2003

Branch Nvidian posted:

The base 13" MacBook Pro, which had the regular M1 processor, shipped with 8GB. The 14" MacBook Pro, with a base M1 Pro processor, started at 16GB though. I assume you meant the latter and just stated the wrong size.

lol gently caress, you're right, I've got a 13" M2 16gb work laptop on my desk that I thought was a base model but it isn't.

Apr 7, 2003

Canned Sunshine posted:

I mean, I would never recommend someone go with a 8GB machine in 2024 for their daily driver though. It's just Apple penny pinching in the worst way.

AFAICT it's Apple filling in the bottom of the MBP line to cover the 13" disappearing. The good 14" MBP still starts at $1999, same as it always was.

Why they'd do that instead of just expanding the MacBook Air is beyond me

Apr 7, 2003

More like the MacBook No Air

Apr 7, 2003

Mister Facetious posted:

If you changed the amount of storage or Ram from the default then yeah; it's a custom order. Gotta solder that poo poo in.

I ordered a Mac 15,8 and got a "custom order" sheet with a complete shipping paper trail from China, they're pretty comprehensive about it.

Apr 7, 2003

Eletriarnation posted:

But, in this case, they seem to be positioning it as a premium model - relative to Wal-Mart's other typical offerings, at least. I don't know if the goal is just "we want to try to sell these old M1 MBAs however we can", or if it's more of a long game ploy to attract customers who wouldn't normally consider Apple.

This is exactly how I became an Apple customer, I bought a low-spec 2012 MBA with 4gb ram / 64gb storage and it was good enough to convince me that I didn't want to buy another lovely HP laptop

Apr 7, 2003

Radia posted:

do people here use their ipad with steam link? is it good. i have great internet but my ipad will be on wifi (obviously) so that seems bad?

Why would you use Steam Link if you've got a computer for gaming that's running Steam to link to?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apr 7, 2003

Eletriarnation posted:

Typically it's because your gaming computer is a desktop and you want to play the game in a location other than where it is. Like, playing in the living room because there's a big screen there or from the back porch because the weather is nice.

You could even use it to play a game from a virtual machine which has a passed-through GPU and no actual monitor attached, though there are a couple extra steps to make that work well.

Sounds suspect. If the weather is nice I would just enjoy the weather instead of loving around with some lovely video game, OP.

There are probably some birds out there you could watch, maybe some squirrels you could feed. You could ride your bike.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)