Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Watching all this new hardware roll out reminded me that my initial Apple Care is due to expire in a month. Time to purchase something from Apple (again). It also reminded me of the fact that I really love with my late 2009 quad core iMac. Best computer I ever purchased.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Totally forgot about my iMac's warranty which is due to expire on the 19th. So I went to the local Apple reseller to purchase AppleCare, but he wouldn't give me the student discount because I purchased the computer on Apple's website and not in his store. Just ordered AppleCare online (from Apple) and it's supposed to be here on the 16th. Cutting it close. :sweatdrop:

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Wait why did you have it shipped to you? You should have been able to do electronic delivery and have it registered automatically.
Managed to cancel my order, looking for that option right now.

edit: I'm not very successful at this. Could someone help me please? I can't find the option for electronic delivery, it always wants to ship it to me.

Jack's Flow fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Aug 9, 2011

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Is anyone already using a Macbook + Thunderbolt Display setup? If so, how do you like the new display? After playing around with the Macbook Air of a friend (again), I'm really considering to sell my 27" iMac and get a 11" Air + Apple display instead. I really want to have a portable computer again, too.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
That's a good point. I guess I could just buy the Air now and see how the combination of iMac & Macbook works for me. And of course I could also just hook up the Air and let it use the iMac's display.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Typing this on my refurbished iMac. You get an Apple computer, you get the regular 1-year warranty and you can save a lot of money. Getting this machine from the refurb store saved me 500 bucks.

edit: Finally clicked the button and ordered the 11" Air ( + i7 cpu upgrade). Can't loving wait. :toot:

Jack's Flow fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Sep 27, 2011

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
I'm trying to gauge what my late 2009 27" i5 Quad Core iMac is worth at this point and I'm having trouble coming up with a number, because there aren't all that many for sale in my part of Europe (on eBay and Craigslist). It's the basic model without any upgrades (I just refreshed its AppleCare though). The few auctions I did find seem to indicate a price between $800 and $1100. Does that sound about right?

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

pipebomb posted:

My TBD finally shipped - so excited!
In this vein...my Macbook Air shipped yesterday. I really can't wait to get it and fully expect it to replace my iMac as the go-to-machine for all of my work.
If it turns out that the 1,8GHz i7 is fast enough for what I am doing (writing, internet, the lightest of gaming), I'll probably flip the iMac into a Thunderbolt Display.

Jack's Flow fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Oct 2, 2011

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

JP Money posted:

Was it you or her that went in? If anything ever happens to mine I'm finding the most attractive friend I can get and sending her in there to fluster some poor genius into giving me a new laptop.
/derail

This works way too often. A really attractive female friend of mine has the habit of buying running shoes, using them for a couple of months...and then returning them, because they "don't really fit". She always gets her money back. Every single time.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

pipebomb posted:

Posting from my Thunderbolt Display. It's gorgeous and smells like Gods vagina. It is an absolutely gorgeous machine...I only wish it had a superdrive in the side.
Some website took the TBD apart and they basically said: there is so much stuff inside it, it's amazing it is not a full blown iMac. A superdrive would have been really sweet though, especially as they market the TBD as something of a docking station for the Air.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
My 11" Air arrived today. I am air dropping stuff from my iMac to my new shiny laptop, grinning like an idiot. Such a beautiful computer.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
edit: v Sorry. I was worried it's a dumb question...and it probably is. Removed Coconut from the computer, suddenly I am happy again.

Jack's Flow fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Oct 9, 2011

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
I just re-arranged my Dropbox folders and ended up shredding about 2000 objects on both my new MBA and my 2009 iMac. The MBA finished the task about 5 minutes ago, the iMac is still busying deleting poo poo. The power of the SSD. Amazing.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
All this upgrade talk made me order 4GB RAM for my iMac. I can't believe how cheap RAM is nowadays.

edit: v Good point. It was really just an impulse buy. "Eh, it's that cheap?" *click* But it will double the current amount of RAM in my machine!

Jack's Flow fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Nov 11, 2011

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
I love the Magic Mouse and can't work with other computer mice anymore. All the swiping and clicking makes me happy! Thanks, BetterTouchTool.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
I love my late 2009 iMac, it's pretty much the perfect computer for me... but that new iMac is really dreamy. I'm considering to pull the trigger on the 27" entry option + fusion drive. I know it sounds silly... but it's so thin.

Jack's Flow fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Oct 24, 2012

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

Wario In Real Life posted:

I've got a late '10 and have absolutely no desire to upgrade at all. The thinness is completely superfluous when it comes to a stationary desktop display, and also isn't that impressive when you realize that it just looks that thin because of the angle in all the promo shots. If you actually look at the back of the machine it bulges out like a bad case of botulism.

I'll hold out for my 27" retina display in 2 years.
Always spoiling the party, Wario. But yeah, I saw some short videos of the new iMac and of course it bulges out because the computer parts need to go somewhere. My excitement for the iPad Mini did cool off though.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
I just noticed that something isn't quite right with my late 2011 Air. Its battery was down to 0% this morning (which was weird enough), so I re-charged it to 100%, unplugged the adapter, and closed the lid of the Air. Now, four hours later, I opened the lid, but the computer didn't wake up. Also, it was very, very warm to the touch (even though it should have been sleeping), and it only started from the boot screen when I plugged the adapter in. The battery was down to 80%. So it somehow lost 20% of its charge, even though it was sleeping.

Apple shop, here I come.

Jack's Flow fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jun 24, 2013

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Does Apple update their monitors regularly? I'm wondering if I should hold out on the Thunderbolt Display in case there's a refresh coming up in the (near) future.

edit: I guess the answer is, as always, buy now if you need it.

Jack's Flow fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jul 12, 2013

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Here comes a dumb question: at what point can I expect to see refurbished 15" Macbook Pros (late 2013) to pop up in the store? My iMac kicked the bucket and I need a new computer but right now there are only early 2013 models available.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

Pivo posted:

Whenever someone returns one

http://refurb-tracker.com/

That was fast. Thanks a lot!

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
I've been looking at the Thunderbolt monitor for a while now, and as a local store is selling it $200 cheaper than the Apple store, I finally wanted to pull the trigger. But then I saw the fat "Don't buy!" sticker on the Mac Buyer's Guide. I guess I'll wait for the Apple announcements next week.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

nerdrum posted:

+1 to this. There's also a boat load of late 2013 refurbs for really decent discounts on the apple store right now. Just picked up a 3.4ghz 8gig 1TB setup for $1439. 775 card too.

The Apple store has been a barren wasteland when it comes to refurbs in this part of the world. I really hope that will change after the Apple event because I am in the market for a new iMac as well.

Jack's Flow fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Oct 14, 2014

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Went to an Apple store to check out the current iMac for the first time, and god drat that thing is thin. Makes my 2009 model look rather fat.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
The Mac Mini with 2.8ghz i5, 8gb ram and Intel Iris graphics is basically the current gen rMBP 13", correct? I've never consider a Mini before, but I've been stuck with my 11" Air for a while now, and I need more screen estate, so I am looking at all viable options.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Get an external display? Maybe buy a new Air or rMBP to go with it if you want a new computer? A lot of the biggest gains that the newer CPUs have brought to the table have more to do with power efficiency and battery life than with all-out improvements in computing capability.

I'd much rather have a super thin portable with crazy battery life and the ability to be used with or without an external display than a desktop that just crams its innards in a box and barely takes advantage of their perks.

Getting an external display is the idea, yeah. But in general I agree with your take on the Mini, that's why I've been using an iMac + Air combo. But the iMac died and so I am looking for a new desktop.

Anyway, I found a deal on the current gen 15" rMBP (mid 2014). It's the entry level model with 2.2ghz i7 and Iris Pro graphics. There's also a deal for the more expensive version with 2.5ghz, 512ssd and Nvidia graphics. Both machines are roughly $400 off. I've read in several reviews that the Iris Pro is well suited for pretty much anything you throw at it, and as I am not much of a gamer, I'm leaning towards that model.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
If I want to order something with the educational discount of a friend, does she have to order it for me with her Apple account? Can I just order it "for her"? How does Apple check this anyway?

I remember using my own educational discount for my iMac a couple of years ago, and Apple never demanded any proof. Which seemed weird to me.

Jack's Flow fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Oct 18, 2014

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

eddiewalker posted:

Just find the config you want on prices.appleinsider.com

A lot of times it's cheaper than the edu discount and you don't have to take advantage of a friend.

I'm in Europe. Time to "take advantage of a friend".

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
After some back and forth I ordered the base level 15" rMBP as my new desktop machine. It helped that it cost $350 less than in the Apple store. I loved my late 2009 27" iMac but when I had to hit the road for a couple of months last year it simply sat at home collecting dust, and I learned to love my 11" Air. So in the end I went for portability + power + some extra screen estate.

Jack's Flow fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Oct 19, 2014

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
My new rMBP 15" arrived yesterday. That display! My god. Going from an 11" Air to this is just unbelievable. And I was surprised how fast I adapted to Yosemite. Took me like 2 hours to set everything up, and now I don't miss Maverick at all.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

mattfl posted:

My Mid-2011 is still chugging along, until I got to play with my friends brand new rMBP! I could probably get what, 3-400$ for mine? It's the i5 1.7 4GB ram and 128 SSD.

$500 sounds about right. That's how much I got for my mid-2011 11" Air last week.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

Binary Badger posted:

The 8/256 is a great sweet spot unless you have some pathological need to carry every drat movie, photo, and song you ever saw or heard with you at all times, or need to run VMware / Putzallels.

The 256gb SSD of my new rMBP might even be too big for me because I have like one game on there, and thanks to Apple's Music Match I don't even have any music on my hard drive anymore. I signed up for the service back on my old 11" Air, uploaded all of my music, and have been cloud streaming ever since. Loving it. Even more so on my iPad.

Jack's Flow fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Nov 1, 2014

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Yeah I'm still using mine until I get everything transferred to the rMBP and it's insanely ugly and unbearable.

Maybe I should be happy that my iMac died several months before I got my rMBP. That way my memories of its beautiful display remain intact.

edit:

And here comes a stupid question: I've never used a laptop as desktop machine before, and I'm curious about heat management. I don't play a lot of games on my rMBP, but after 15 minutes of playing a game like Divinity: Original Sin the fans kicked in and never really stopped until I shut down the game an hour later. Do I have to worry about the heat? Or is it normal and the computer will handle it just fine.

Jack's Flow fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Nov 4, 2014

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Yeah, Netflix and NBA League Pass run super smooth without any fan action. I've read stuff about "cooling pads" and got worried for a minute, but I guess that's more for people who buy gaming laptops or whatever. Thanks for the answer.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

Cyrano4747 posted:

For what it's worth, I use a cooling pad with my aging mid-2009 MBP. That era machine in general just kind of ran warm and firing up anything even semi-modern on it of course kicks the fans in. The heat management under Windows 7 is also kind of all-or-nothing as far as ramping up the fans goes, and some of the places I've lived in the last 5 years have been pretty unforgiving environments for electronics. Think 5th story, non-air conditioned, garret apartments in the Central European summer, routine daytime temperatures hovering around 85F indoors. When I was traveling more the pad was pretty necessary sometimes if I was going to do any kind of game playing at all in my spare time, otherwise I'd get temperature-related shutdowns.

These days I still use it mostly out of habit. The one I've got angles the machine nicely for typing at a desk which I've found helps a lot with wrist strain. Like most work station setup a lot of it just comes down to individual needs and preference. This is the one I use now, and I've had it for about 4 years. I had a cheaper one before it but something happened to it - I forget what. Regardless, they're reasonably durable, can be had cheaply enough, and if you find yourself in a situation where heat (or even just non-stop internal fan use) is a concern they work reasonably well.

Alright, thanks for the clarification. Outside temperature shouldn't be a problem. January, June, November — it doesn't really matter, the temperature in this room rarely rises above 65F.

Jack's Flow fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Nov 5, 2014

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

Duraznos posted:

The job I started at a few months ago gave me my first ever MBP and I have been kicking myself for not getting onboard years ago.

The Satisfaction Over Time graph in the OP is 100% correct. When I bought my 27" iMac back in 2010 I thought "holy poo poo, this is the best computer I've ever purchased". But now I'm typing this on my new 15" rMBP and I am all "poo poo, THIS is the best computer I've ever purchased". It took me a long time to switch to Apple, but I can't imagine going back.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Same here. Mid 2014 rMBP and the palm rest never gets hot.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Do you guys use FanControl while playing games on your laptop? I'm a little worried about the heat, and I've already bought a cooling pad (which lowered the average temperatures to the mid/low 80s°C), but now I am wondering whether or not I should crank up the fans, too. I am playing stuff like Pillars of Eternity on a base model 15" rMBP (mid-2014) with integrated graphics. Is there a downside (other than the noise) to simply setting the minimum speed of the fans to something like 4500rpm while playing games?

Jack's Flow fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jan 4, 2016

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Alright, I'll stop worrying about some light gaming melting the intestines of my laptop. I've never played games on my Macbook before, and rarely ever heard the fans at all, that's why I was worried. Thanks guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
I've been reading up on Windows laptops for the past two weeks, trying to figure out what my computer for the next three years should be, but after after a lot of back and forth, I've realized that I just don't want to leave macOS behind. All of my work is tied to macOS and stuff just runs flawlessly. So no XPS 15 for me.

My current 15" rMBP (mid-14) is the best Mac I've ever owned, hands down, but its warranty is up this Summer and I need to replace it. I've found an Apple deal on a website (I'm in Switzerland) that knocks off 10% off the already slashed starting prices. All the prices are Swiss CHF converted to $$$. I'm trying to decide between two options here:

• 2015 15" MBP ( i7-4870HQ, 2.2GHz Quad-Core) with 512SSD. From Apple in Switzerland: $2350 | Deal: $1868

• 2016 15" MBP (Intel Core i7 (6. Gen.) 2.6 GHz, AMD Radeon 450) with 256SSD. From Apple in Switzerland (please sit down first): $2679 | Deal: $2225

Could people who are using the new 15" MBP please chime in? How do you like the 2016 model? Is the Touch Bar as gimmicky as it seems in all the videos I saw on Youtube? There was no way I was going to buy the 2016 15" MBP at the regular price, but for roughly $450 less I'm thinking about it.

edit:

v That would be option # 3 I guess.

Jack's Flow fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Mar 5, 2017