Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
My friend is buying me a MBA 13" and giving me his F&F discount. How much is applecare through the F&F program? Is it also 15% off? Am I better off getting it via the edu discount?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

chimz posted:

If it's 15% off, you're better off getting it through the edu discount. AppleCare for regular is 249, 15% is 211 (calculated, no idea of actual), and edu is 183.

I imagine you'd also be missing out on the $100 edu gift card, and possibly the $100 printer thing, so ask him about that.

Yeah I'm missing out on the edu gift card and the printer. I'm against printing at home however and I'd rather not be locked into spending $100 at the app store (even though I will).

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

chimz posted:

The gift card also works on iTunes and the iBookstore, but if you're anti-iStore then you should go for the 15%.

Not anti-store, but if you calculate it out, the FF discount is still better than the edu discount.

FF: 1300*.85*1.07 = $1182 total
Edu: 1250*1.07 - 100 = $1237.

Not a huge difference, but you still come out ahead.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Those of you with MBAs, what are you doing for storage? I'm getting the 128gb model, and although that's going to be plenty, I'm wondering if this might not be the time to figure out a better way to store my media/files. I have my personal documents on dropbox, but I'm kind of playing loose with my mp3s. I only have about 15 gigs or so, but I don't have a backup at the moment. Thinking about getting an external USB drive, but those are such a pain with laptops.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Amazon sounds reasonable. I have jungledisk, but is there something better these days?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Ethereal posted:

Try out Arq, I'm a big fan of it.

Thanks. I guess the weirdest thing for me is trying to mesh dropbox and amazon together. I guess I could also back up my dropbox files to amazon, which would allow me the ability to access them from anywhere and back them up.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Just check out the 13" MBA at the apple store today and ordered it when I got home. It's going to be quite a jump going from my revb macbook :).

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
What's the cheapest way to get Applecare? I'm looking at Amazon and found this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000JZ76LM/ref=sr_1_5_olp?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1312149320&sr=1-5&condition=used

Would this work for a MBA?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

SupahCoolX posted:

Just make sure you're buying your AppleCare from a "real" store (Amazon, B&H, MacMall, Smalldog, whoever), and not Discount Bob's Taiwanese eBay Shop.

Also keep an eye on https://www.dealmac.com as they will post a link whenever someone has a good deal on AppleCare.

That's my question. What's the problem with buying applecare from discount bob's ebay emporium? Isn't it just a code that I plug in to a form online somewhere?

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Aug 1, 2011

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Doctor Zero posted:

You didn't read through the first few posts, did you?

I did, but thanks for your concern! :)

The link I posted was to an amazon reseller where it looks like people are selling old boxed copies of applecare for cheap. The question is whether an "old" code for a macbook/mba will work for a new macbook air or if there's some sort of expiration date, and whether amazon would be better since they're not ebay/paypal.

50 bucks either way isn't going to break me, but if I can save the cash I figure why not.

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Aug 1, 2011

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Holy crap, just setting up my 13" MBA right now. RevB whitebook -> 2011 MBA = :psyduck:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Here I was smug about the 15% off I got on my MBA through the F&F discount and now I see I missed out on saving 20%. And to add to the insult, I should have saved the money and bought the ad version of the Kindle instead.

Just sold my revb whitebook from 2006 to a dude on craigslist. Specs:

C2D 1.83
320 gb HD
4 gigs of Ram (Only 3.25 are usable)
New battery/top case

I put it up for $400. Mac2sell had it for $350, so I thought I did pretty well although the overwhelming response on CL makes me think I could have gotten more for it. Kind of sad to see it go. I originally bought it in 2006 as a reva macbook. It was my first mac since an old mac SE we had growing up. It was kind of a mess for the first year and ended up getting replaced with a revb but i've essentially had the same computer since 2006.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Thirst Mutilator posted:

Are there heating issues with the 13in Air or MBP, or general performance issues with the Air? Considering picking one of them up with Special Offers coupon. Also, is buying Applecare through Amazon necessary if I pick either laptop up through them, or can pick up the discounted Applecare through the Apple store?

No heat issues with my MBA so far. As far as I'm concerned it came from the future (as long as you don't care about games). You can pick up applecare whenever/from whoever.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I just went to put an MRI read into my MBA and lol.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

FCKGW posted:

I don't understand any of this gibberish.

Sorry, meant to say that I took a cd, went to put it in the side of my MBA and it didn't work out well at all.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I'm using a 13" MBA as my primary machine and I don't regret it one bit. I use it for the usual, with some matlab and stata thrown in for good measure. Programs open insanely fast, the resolution is amazing, and the size just spoils you. MBPs seem clunky in comparison. I have an external display if I really need it.

I can't really tell you much about gaming since games are for children.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

tikan posted:

My Air has decided to take about 10 seconds or more to be usable again after sleeping, sometimes black screen, sometimes just mouse/kb not doing anything. Is this a thing to be fixed or should I just stroll by the fruit stand?

Oh hey, it's not just me. I went from instant to delayed in a couple of weeks.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Quick question before I do it: Applecare is still worth getting for a MBA, right? I got one whenever the new ones came out and have been holding off on buying it.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

MOAR posted:

Way I see it - You can save the cash and ebay your MBA - put the total cash towards a new MBA - I think the new model has to be out soon(ish).

Or just keep the old one and applecare it, I think it's like $200??

I don't see the point in me buying a new MBA as I plan on keeping this one at least for another year or two. I guess the question is are MBAs likely to be more trouble free than, say my old whitebook (3 logic boards).

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Star War Sex Butt posted:

I'm wrestling with the same question. In theory, it should be pretty drat reliable. It's a mature chipset with a mature CPU process with a pretty good SSD and no moving parts outside of the fan. I'm not really seeing what could go wrong, but at the same time it can add to the resale value down the line. Maybe sell it while it still has a couple of months of AppleCare on it?

Eh, I don't care about having the newest/greatest. The cost of buying/selling a computer every year isn't worth it.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

movax posted:

Always AppleCare your portable, IMHO. The laws of the universe guarantee that if you don't have it, a lightning bolt from Thor himself will strike your, your family, your pets and your Mac down, and that poo poo won't be covered.

Previous computer, a Rev A whitebook: heatsink replacement, 2x logic board replacement, replacement with a Rev B whitebook, logic board replacement, DVD drive repair after they broke it while replacing the logic board. Fine until July 2011 after that. :rolleye:

Fine. Ordered.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

movax posted:

Hah, consider it an early present/bonus for yourself for Match Day or something :)

I keep on trying to convince myself to get an ipad 3 since it comes out the exact same day but I just can't do it, not when I have a MBA. :(

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Binary Badger posted:

Apple probably wants to knee the iFixit CEO in the groin after publishing their little MBP/TNG take apart, because they don't want anybody touching the battery during any servicing, and they used a metal ruler to try to dislodge it right off the bat.

Also, not just the battery is integrated; so are the trackpad and keyboard. If you want to replace any of the aforementioned parts on the RD/MBP, you have to get a whole new top case assembly, none of them are available as separate parts.

Edit: and you have to literally take the whole machine apart to get to the top case..

I don't think Apple really cares if someone breaks/takes apart their computers as long as they don't expect to get warranty service for them.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
So I've been plugging along with a 2011 MBA for general work/surfing. I was thinking of replacing it this year with a new 13 rmbp. Sounds like I might as well hold off for another year?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Is there any reason why I shouldn't upgrade to either a new 12" MB or MBP 13" from a 2011 MBA that's still chugging along? Seems like this is a pretty decent update all around?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
So it sounds like everyone's saying the 13" MBP with the touchbar is worth getting over the non-TB version?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Is the 13" TB MBP the way to go as a do-everything computer? Are any of the CPU upgrades worth it?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Residency Evil posted:

Is the 13" TB MBP the way to go as a do-everything computer? Are any of the CPU upgrades worth it?

GoldfishStew posted:

iPad Pro is actually the do everything computer.

But seriously, anything else worth it?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Twerk from Home posted:

If you need >8GB RAM, I'd say it's worth stepping up to the 15". 15" has twice the cores as well, and the 15" base config is actually pretty nice.

I'm only saying I'd get 16gb to future proof, as I seem to keep my laptops for ~5-6 years. Am I wrong in upgrading the RAM?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I'm confused: why are people paying so much for 2012 Minis??

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I'm very close to getting a 13" rMBP TB as my "all around" replacement laptop for my 2011 13" MBA. I don't do anything very intensive anymore, but I do tend to hold on to things for a while.

Is it worth upgrading the CPU at all? RAM to 16gb? SSD to 512?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Residency Evil posted:

I'm very close to getting a 13" rMBP TB as my "all around" replacement laptop for my 2011 13" MBA. I don't do anything very intensive anymore, but I do tend to hold on to things for a while.

Is it worth upgrading the CPU at all? RAM to 16gb? SSD to 512?

Bumping this to this page.

Or should I just got with a 12" MB + iMac, even though most of my use will be stationary?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

eames posted:

You probably didn't get any answers because the answer for these questions is always "it depends".

Apple's CPU upgrades typically don't make much sense, 16GB RAM are only needed if you run memory intensive applications (Adobe CC with very large documents, Virtual Machines) and the 512 GB SSD upgrade is nice but useless if you only have 100GB of personal data and stream all your media.

Thanks, that's helpful. Sounds like I should skip the CPU upgrade. RAM-wise, the only reason I'm considering 16gb is because back in 2011 everyone said to only get 8gb if I needed it for VMs, and that 4 should be fine for everyday use. Kind of regretting that now, but maybe things are different these days?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Cancelled my 3.1ghz/16 GB 13" MBP order in favor of a refurbished 3.3/16gb model for $100 less. Seemed like a no-brainer, but are the beats-x headphones worth picking up on their own? Seems like they get good reviews.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Oh my god this 13" MBP is loving fantastic other than the dongle compared to my old MBA.

1. Is Applecare recommended these days?
2. Are there any decent non-Apple chargers, or should I stick with the Apple ones? Looks like Apple here.

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Aug 16, 2017

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I brought my 2017 MBP in because the keyboard had the known sticky key issue. The CS person told me that the repaired keyboard was still using the "old" design, and that the topcases hadn't been changed in any way to counteract that. Furthermore, she told me the extended warranty only extends to 3 years after it was sold. Is that true? Should I expect the same issue to pop up in another year or two?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Bleh. I got something stuck in the hinge of my 2017 Touchbar MBP 13 and the small glass strip cracked. Is there a good/better source for buying the "logo baffle" that I need?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Is there any way to fix this on my 2017 13" MBP short of getting a new screen? ifixit doesn't seem to have the part.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Electric Bugaloo posted:

That screen’s hosed and needs a full swap.

Well poo poo. I guess I'll keep this for a while until the 2020 MBPs with the non-poo poo keyboards come out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Base MBA should be fine for my wife to online shop and log in to work via Citrix right?