Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

JnnyThndrs posted:

Was I the only person in the world who didn’t have trouble with Apple maps, even at launch? I used it right from the beginning and it was fine. Or is that because I’m in NorCal and Apple took special care in that region for obvious reasons?
Mapping data varied wildly in quality. In a lot of areas it was fine, and in some areas it was embarrassingly bad. The latter accounted for a good deal of negative press and all it takes is for someone to have one bad mapping experience to not trust that app for the rest of time.

I only got burned by Apple's map data once, and yeah I was out in the boonies near Zion National Park and it thought our B&B was about 20 miles from its actual location.

edit: Apple's routing data has generally been good in the cities I've lived in, but business data isn't always great. I've probably updated hundreds of business' info at this point (pin not in the right place, or the business is permanently closed).

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Sep 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

My MBP went out for a display replacement over a week ago. I got it back today and they didnt even swap the display. Instead they decided that it needed a new logic board (second time they’ve done that on a display replacement issue) and a new bottom case. They also dinged the existing display and the new bottom case has damage. Now they have the part in stock (they didn’t last week) and are saying they can handle the display replacement today, but man this has been a mess. By the time I get it back, this machine will be on its 3rd display, 3rd logic board, 2nd top case, and 3rd bottom case — and this unit began its journey with me as a new replacement by Apple for a previous MBP that kept eating logic boards.

Hooray for AppleCare I guess. :(
Oh yeah, I haven’t been keeping you all updated. My apologies!

The display swap at the Apple Store last weekend went fine, and the replacement bottom case for the damaged one that the service center installed arrived at the Apple Store today. I just stopped by to get it swapped (should take 5 minutes) and the guy flipped it over to check the serial number (the serial number isn’t even on there) and I cringed as he slid the laptop across the table toward himself while it was upside down. Surprise! There are now a pair of faint scratches in the 4-days-old display assembly. They tried to clean them off at first, but nope they’re scratches. Now they’ve got another display assembly on order for me (#4) and I guess I’ll be laptop-less again soon once that part arrives.

tl;dr: I went to the Apple Store today and all I have to show for it is two new scratches in my MBP.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Sep 5, 2018

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

It would be in IYG, if it exists.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Weedle posted:

I hope they announce a good computer
They won't.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Now they’ve got another display assembly on order for me (#4) and I guess I’ll be laptop-less again soon once that part arrives.
I called them to find out if they got the display assembly since it's been a week and they made me sound like the idiot when they were like "yeah we got those in a few days ago." No one ever called me! Now they're quoting 5-7 days from drop-off even though it's a repeat repair that they handled in 1 day a couple of weeks ago.

As soon as I got off the phone with the Store I called corporate AppleCare and they're investigating a replacement. :sigh:

The whole reason I started this saga 3 weeks ago was because the semester wasn't in full swing yet and I could afford to be without my laptop for a few days. Now I can't.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Steakandchips posted:

Dude, get on twitter, your local newspapers, MPs (or whatever American equivalent local politicians), email tim cook direclty, copying in newspapers and politicians and whatever ombudsman or regulators are appropriate.

Raise a stink.
I don't really think that's necessary. Just calling and explaining the situation they transferred me to a Senior Advisor and he's looking into a replacement. He expects an answer sometime tomorrow since he has to run it up the flagpole. This is basically the same process I went through ~18 months ago to get this unit in the first place.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Steakandchips posted:

You literally can't do your work/study.
I mean I can use it. There are just parts on it that need replacing in its current form. It's the whole "another 5-7 days" without it that is a non-starter for me. I could buy a temporary replacement, but why bother if corporate can come up with a better solution?

edit: Now if corporate AppleCare hangs me out to dry, then I resort to your earlier suggestions.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Sep 13, 2018

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Steakandchips posted:

I wish you good luck and god speed.

Jose Oquendo posted:

I hope you get your replacement.
They just called and asked for a credit card to put a $4000 hold on so they can cross-ship me a 2018, so I'm hoping that means progress is being made. I should know for sure some time next week. :unsmith:

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Steakandchips posted:

They have your busted macbook, they now want 4000 as well to give you a replacement for the busted one?

That does not make sense to me.
I have my busted laptop and they need to put a hold on a credit card to send me a new one without sending the old one back first.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Steakandchips posted:

No credit card hold required.
Perhaps because one device is like $400 and the other is $4000?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

The system works!

quote:

Thanks for contacting us. We created a product replacement for your MacBook Pro (serial number ...).

We’ll track this replacement and update you via email as needed. This is the configuration for your replacement product:

15‑inch MacBook Pro - Space Gray
2.6GHz 6‑core 8th‑generation Intel Core i7 processor, Turbo Boost up to 4.3GHz
Retina display with True Tone
Touch Bar and Touch ID
Radeon Pro 560X with 4GB of GDDR5 memory
16GB 2400MHz DDR4 memory
2TB SSD storage
Four Thunderbolt 3 ports
Backlit Keyboard - US English
I wish I could shave off some of that SSD space for the 32GB of RAM option, but they don't give me any say in the replacement configuration as long as it meets (or exceeds) the unit it's replacing.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

MarcusSA posted:

Oh nice how does that look vs the one you have now? The 2TB SSD is legit but yeah I'd rather have the RAM.
It’s replacing:
Late-2016 15” MacBook Pro
2.6 i7
16GB RAM
Radeon Pro 450 2GB
2TB SSD

That was a warranty replacement for:
Late-2013 15” MacBook Pro
2.8 i7
16GB RAM
GeForce GT 750M
1TB SSD

I basically got an SSD upgrade on the 2016 since it’s just what they sent me.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

They stepped down the CPU on a warranty replacement?
Edit: looks like the late-2013 was a 2.6 as well. So nope, no step down. My mistake.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Sep 18, 2018

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Electric Bugaloo posted:

There’s a few posters in there who are like “I do 90% of my job on an iPad” and I’m like :psyboom:
Maybe people have... different jobs? :aaaaa:

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Replacement MBP arrived today. TrueTone is nice so far. Keyboard is quieter and feels a little better to type on. Otherwise it's another MBP. :)

I've more or less finished getting what I need transferred and will send the old one back tomorrow.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Nice 2018 MacBook Pro surprise: articles like this made it seem like True Tone would only apply to those 3 display models (LG 4K and 5K sold in Apple Stores, and the Thunderbolt Display) but it's actually working on the old HP displays I use in my lab just fine.

edit: Huh, even the official Apple support document says those 3 displays only. Weird. I now expect this helpful behavior to disappear with the next Mojave update.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Oct 1, 2018

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Strong Sauce posted:

What happened/is happening with Mac Pro?
Apple said that's coming in 2019 a while ago.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Rabid Snake posted:

Apparently the MacBook pros are going to be upgraded with radeon pro Vega gpu options next month?

https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2018/10/all-new-macbook-air-takes-flight/

I’m surprised, they just refreshed the MBP line. I assume this only applies to the 15” model since the 13” uses only a integrated gpu
That's a crazy fast refresh.

edit: it's sound like it'll be an extra upgrade option for the existing model

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Oct 30, 2018

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

tuyop posted:

Can someone direct me to a good article explaining why ARM is so much more efficient and what the key differences are? I feel like I’ve read pages and pages about it and just don’t understand at all.
At this point x86 probably burns a non-trivial amount of transistors maintaining support for a 40 year-old architecture.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

IAmKale posted:

I see now on Apple.com where it says all the 15" ones are 6-core. So that answers that. By the way, has Apple always been so tight-lipped about the model CPU that's in their laptops? It's impossible to find model numbers on Apple.com.
Generally yes. Wikipedia has always had accurate tables of CPU models in Macs in my experience.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Best bet is to read egpu.io

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Which VM software?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Yeah for systems development I almost always need to fall back to a Linux box.

Edit: earlier today I was just looking at code that didn’t work on macOS because of the lack of the sem_init system call. Maybe that’s the correct choice for Apple’s purposes, but doesn’t help when I have code I need to build on that uses it.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

For anyone who remembers my saga almost a year ago as my MBP ended up with a few different top cases, four display assemblies, and a couple logic boards...

Replacement MBP arrived today. TrueTone is nice so far. Keyboard is quieter and feels a little better to type on. Otherwise it's another MBP. :)

I've more or less finished getting what I need transferred and will send the old one back tomorrow.
The cycle begins again. Today I sent my 2018 MacBook Pro out for its first display assembly replacement.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

I've had my still quite capable late 2013 retina MBP going strong for 6 years now with absolutely zero issues besides a frayed Magsafe charger and you've had the same Macbook repaired how many times??? Man, that is comically horrendous bad luck.
I feel like it's gotten worse in the last 3-5 years, but that's probably just my experiences. My 2006-2013 Macs (laptops, iMacs, Minis) rarely had to go in for service -- maybe at most once in their lifetimes.

With the newer models I'm convinced that the moment I have to send a machine out once that it's all downhill from there and I'll end up replacing the machine. Apple's design team spits out products that are increasingly difficult to service, and I think the results even from Apple's official repair channels suffered for that.

The only upside is that Apple at least continues to stand by their product and usually replace the machine for me, but the entire process is still fairly disruptive to my work.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Aug 14, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Just learned that the latest MacBook Pros support AVX-512 when one of our developers bought a new laptop and found a bug in our codebase that had never been found before because we'd never had the combination of macOS + AVX-512 until now.

Sounds like a nice excuse for me to grab a new machine, and to add another configuration to CI.