Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

japtor posted:

Have you reset PRAM/SMC/other acronym since installing the SSD? I've heard it can shorten the time on that gray screen after a drive swap, supposedly it's looking for the old drive before proceeding to the new one...no clue if that's actually the case or not though :shobon:.

Instead of resetting the SMC, you just need to properly select the new SSD in the Startup Disk prefpane (assuming that it isn't explicitly selected and so was the cause of the delay.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Corbet posted:

Does anyone know if the external optical drives are prone to failure as much as the internal drives?

I can't even think of the last time I've needed an optical drive but it would be convenient to have one for the rare occasion.

I think the Apple external DVD burner is the exact same mechanism as inside the laptops, so one assumes it would have a similar failure rate. Perhaps slightly less due to not being carried around and powered on/off as much.

I would really recommend a full-size external instead.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

jfreder posted:

I think it is fine as long as you aren't using an underpowered adapter for the machine. Airs can use the 85W power brick for example, but a 17" MBP can't use the 45W ones.

You can use underpowered ones, but obviously you'll get less power in that case.
So if you're running a 17" MBP from a 45W brick then your battery will still be depleted, but more slowly than not plugging in at all.
You could put it to sleep and then it would charge, but again it would be slower than from a proper 85W brick.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Barefeats benchmarked the 2011 MBA at 34 fps running Portal 1 on High settings at 1280x800 resolution. So I would thing that TF2 and Portal 2 would be "playable" (ie. 30fps) on medium-lowish settings.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

SourKraut posted:

Actually you can get Lion to run on Core Solo/Core Duo systems...

I thought that was only done in one of the beta releases that still had all the 32 bit binaries in the install?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

^^^ G5s only have 2x 3.5" drive bays, but they can fit 4x 3.5" disks in the CPU bay without issue.
Of course, you'd need a SATA/RAID card with OS X drivers to connect them all.

Rei_ posted:

Okay. This is a weird one, and it's an old one.

When I was a kid I had a Centris 610, old school Macintosh. When it died, it played a Funeral Dirge before shutting itself back off for good. Like the drat thing was toast. Time for a new computer. Scariest thing that ever happened to me as a kid.

I remember hearing that it was a 'feature' of the Centris line, similar to the Quadra line which would play the Twilight Zone theme when it died.

But I can't find a copy of it happening to anyone else, whether written or recorded. I remember it happening when I was a kid, and I remember reading about it elsewhere. Does anyone know where I can get some actual documentation on this?

I think this is the right thread for this? I mean it's not really technical support, it's more like.. Mac Trivia at this point.

MacTracker has startup/death chimes for basically every Mac.
I think you option+click on the little comp icon for your model.
http://www.mactracker.ca/

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

htabz posted:

Is there something up with the 27' Thunderbolt displays? Shows a 4-6 week ship time direct from apple, and there's none on ebay.

They haven't shipped yet.

Hiyoshi posted:

What's so different between the 2008 iMacs and the early 2009 iMacs that would make AirDrop support difficult?

A new 11n feature is the ability to directly connect two client radios without a base station without interrupting any other association. Only very recent radios have it though.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Kilometers Davis posted:

I'm not sure where else to post this, so yeah. What do you pc building/upgrading enthusiasts do to not get rid of your macs and go back to a desktop pc? I can't really scratch the itch of wanting PC games and the ability to upgrade and change things whenever I want. I absolutely LOVE my new iMac, but it only made me want to use my pc again and really learn everything there is to learn about it inside and out. It's basically the classical vs romantic argument and I can't really find a middle ground.

Hackintosh.

I have a full tower case, a Radeon 5870, a Q6600 with a TRUE running at 3.6 GHz, a real serial port, multiple sound inputs and outputs, space for more drives than is sensible, and even after all that I still have PCI-E and PCI slots for more stuff if I should so choose.

Best of both worlds if your PC is your hobby too.
Funnily enough I was always a Mac first-and-foremost kinda guy as people in this thread can probably attest, until the Intel switch when Apple disgusted me with the tower price hikes and I went bespoke instead. I never had a PC at all until then.

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Aug 13, 2011

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

ndrake posted:

I doubt it would be an option if it was seriously going to harm the computer.

Bingo.

There is a pic out there somewhere of a white iBook or MacBook with a melted keyboard which is where the rumour came from. Personally I would think that the pic was taken of a laptop that was in a fire or something considering a CPU cannot physically get hot enough to melt plastic like that.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

Am I right in thinking that the Educational Store gives you 3 years warranty for free?

When I'm looking on the site, it seems that the extras that you can buy are the extended telephone warranty, which I don't think I"m going to need as I have an Apple Store in my city. Is there anything else that this offers which I'm missing? Can't really find any terms and conditions anywhere.

Edit: In the UK.

In Australia they used to offer free AppleCare for all educational purchases but that stopped a few years ago so I'd be surprised if the UK still got it.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Rubiks Pubes posted:

Didn't everyone bitch about how SSD's weren't so great when they first came out?

The ones in the first rev MBA were particularly bad. Barely faster than a lovely 4200 rpm disk and didn't use much less battery either.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Just got a SSD! Patriot Wildfire 240GB, now it's waiting for my new Mac mobo to arrive so I can actually use it over SATA3.

In the meantime I realigned the partitions with gptfdisk.
I used:

code:
Number  Start (sector)    End (sector)  Size       Code  Name
   1              40          409639   200.0 MiB   EF00  EFI System Partition
   2          411648       468598784   223.2 GiB   AF00  Apple HFS/HFS+
Where's that hawt SSD icon? (should put it in the OP :) )

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Aug 21, 2011

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

KidDynamite posted:

Apple uses torx screws on their internals, correct? Just asking because I'm going to pick up tools for my SSD installation.

They are starting to use "pentalobe" screws in some areas, but yeah on a MBP you need a normal torn.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

gregday posted:

For heat management, is is better to run my 27" Cinema Display from my MacBook Pro's dedicated or 'onboard' GPU? The fans are kicking full blast almost every minute I have it connected and I think that can't be good.

Correct terminology would be "integrated" (versus dedicated or "discrete"), both GPUs are "onboard" after all! :)

For heat, it would be better to run with the integrated GPU if suck a thing is possible on your model of MBP. I think this works on Nvidia GPUs only?
On the latest models, the discrete GPU is used whenever an external monitor is plugged in.

As for the "xMac" question above, I would like more disks and the ability to have my own full-size graphics card at a minimum.
X58 is hardly an expensive chipset so it could definitely stand to be cheaper than current Mac Pros.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Keep in mind that even though Thunderbolt is "just" PCIe, it still needs some level of OS support that may or may not be forthcoming.

After all, OS X has SATA/AHCI support, but you still can't hotplug even a simple hard disk.

To be honest I think most of the potential buyers would still be more or less happy with a non-hotpluggable and Windows-only product. It's the type of thing you buy to take to a LAN.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

dissss posted:

How do you define 'newer'? The non-removable models?

Because one Google search for 'swollen macbook battery' will show you exactly what will happen if you leave a pre-unibody model plugged in for too long.

No, that shows you what will happen when you bad luck out and you get defective hardware.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Do you need decent access speeds? If so then:
USB 3 if I had a USB controller or was planning to get one shortly.
FW800 otherwise.

If not then just whatever cheap USB 2 enclosure will be fine.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

It may have been true 5+ years ago when driver were slower and laptop drives doubly so. Plus, laptop internal drives were often 5400 rpm with 7200 rpm as an optional extra.
I definitely remember people using that "common knowledge" for their PS scratch disks and the like.

But yeah, can't see it being true anymore now that even laptop drives are faster than the 100 MB/sec theoretical maximum of FW800.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

That's more than mine does.

Looks like it just needs a recapping. You can get kits for it, or ship your board to someone who will do it for you.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

You can get a Mac that has both ethernet and serial ports (beige PowerMac is ideal) and install LocalTalk Bridge on it for probably much less than $90 all up.

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1258?viewlocale=en_US

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Should work fine assuming it can negotiate a link. Some of these older ethernet cards aren't great at negotiating their desired rates when plugged into 100 Mbit gear and may need you to set the port to 10 Mbit manually.

I saw a guy who had his PowerBook connected to wireless networks via an AAUI transciever and a portable wireless bridge powered from the ADB port...

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Exactly right; swapping adaptors even to use an underpowered PSU on a big laptop is fine. Just don't expect your battery to charge fast if at all while in use.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

PCI-E (and TB) is bidirectional so the external GPU would be able to blit its framebuffer somewhere (maybe system RAM, but ideally it would go directly into the internal GPU's VRAM) and then show it on the internal screen.
The internal GPU would then just be updating its framebuffer 60 times per second or whatever so wouldn't matter how powerful or weak it was.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

coldplay chiptunes posted:

Why are the odds slim? Portal isn't exactly the most hardware demanding game, and the engine has been optimized for OSX.

While you're quite right, Source is hardly an engine that has been optimised for OS X. Valve gets props for not taking the easy way out and putting its games in low-effort Cider wrappers, but at its heart it is still heavily targetted towards DirectX and converts everything through a translation layer to produce OpenGL commands.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Looks like a laptop hard drive, so probably quite a few in theory!

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Sulk posted:

Short of some $150-200 device that I saw linked a couple times, is there any way for a 2011 MBP to output to two external monitors without using Thunderbolt? I'm guessing no, but may as well ask if there's even a remotely possible way.

USB video cards are $40-50 and decent enough for office work.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

The official ones were quite unreliable for a long time there, due to not having enough strain relief. That was just another part of a long trend of lovely laptop PSUs stretching back to 1999 or so.

I've heard anecdotally that the newer "traffic light" MagSafes are much improved.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Is your display the MDP one or the ThunderBolt one?

If the latter, then yeah you would need a video card with Thunderbolt of which 0 currently exist.
If the former, then there is a USB cable for the speakers/hub/camera. You would need an active MDP converter like the Kanex XD for the video. http://www.kanexlive.com/xd

edit: the Kanex XD only supports up to 1920x1200.
You want the http://www.kanexlive.com/c247dl

Obviously you have to weigh the potential usefulness of the adaptor versus the opportunity cost of just getting a new, better GPU with that $150.

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Sep 29, 2011

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

SeventySeven posted:

Firstly, the battery is shot - the menu bar battery meter doesn't think there's one installed. I know the CPU is being underclocked automatically, but by how much? I'm wondering if it could have an affect if I wanted to, say, transcode shows/movies via Plex (my preferred media server/player at the moment).

Secondly, it appears of the internal fans isn't spinning which is a little worrying combined with the first issue - any idea how much Apple would charge to fix it?

My last concern is, how much extra power is this going to use being on 24/7? I average 7-8kW a day according to my power company, would this increase substantially?

1. Probably halfish. Mine does. The only way I found this out was booting into Windows since Mac CPU monitoring tools are not great.

2. Not sure but probably doesn't matter with the CPU downlocked. I wouldn't worry about it unless it starts turning off suddenly.

3. Not very much, I assume you have a 85W PSU so 85 x 24 = 2 Kwh per day at the very most and that's if you maxed it out 24/7. In practice you wouldn't get anywhere near that, again especially counting the underclocked CPU.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

If you don't have the correct hardware (or are just annoyed at the close range limitation) then you can also enable AirDrop to look for machines on the network as well.

defaults write com.apple.NetworkBrowser BrowseAllInterfaces 1

http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20110913213649565

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Would anyone be interested in a mechanical tenkeyless style keyboard with native Apple keys?

Something like this:

But with all the brightness / itunes / volume / command keys as a modern Apple keyboard should have.

No one is currently making one, so I'm trying to find a manufacturer who'd be willing to make a limited run and starting a Kickstarter, or maybe just fronting the money myself and taking orders.

Wouldn't those functions just sit on the function keys? They do on the chiclet keyboards.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Again, I'm not trying to be obnoxious here but I don't understand why you wouldn't just buy that Filco? Sure you'd have to spend 5 minutes setting up the keys in Sys Prefs...

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

exactly as feasible as running Windows on the same spec hardware would be...
what are you trying to ask?

If you want to know how a particular game runs you will need to name your hardware at least.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Yeah, you definitely can't add a second 3.5" HDD internally. There are 3 SATA ports internally so you can add hard disk that way if you want to be ghetto about it.
There is space for a 2.5" HDD (intended for a SSD) inside but connecting a drive to it raises further issues.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Apparently if you order your iMac from Apple without SSD, then you have neither the mounts nor the cables to add one at a later date.

You can order in those items for an overpriced sum of money of course, or assuming you want to add in an SSD then you can use double sided tape and any old short SATA cable.

http://blog.chargedpc.com/2011/05/2011-imac-ssd-install-guide.html

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Oct 9, 2011

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Hybrid drives are not particularly fast nor reliable. Either go a good skinny disk for less or a good SSD for more.

ed: curse you lion. spinny disk

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Shaocaholica posted:

Are we ever going to get to the point where there is no difference between PC and Mac video card firmware? Aren't most PCs now using EFI?

Kinda. A lot of unlashed PC GPUs already work in OS X, you just don't get a boot (EFI) menu.
So the cards themselves don't have "proper" EFI support I guess.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

That is a bit odd because the last 30" Cinema Displays with AppleCare will still be under warranty until mid-2013. I would ask at another store if you can.

If you want to try to fix it yourself you should have no difficulty finding the panel because it was used in the Dell 3007 monitors as well.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Ochowie posted:

So it seems like there really is no reason for me to get a Pro. Any downsides in terms of gaming? I built it with the highest end processor and 8 gigs of ram for reference.

Actually gaming is a big reason to get a Mac Pro (or a Hackintosh.)
The Mac Pro can get a 5870, and will be upgradeable in the future to whatever new GPUs Apple releases, whereas the iMac will be stuck forever with whatever laptop GPU you order it with, presumably the 6970M which is a lot less powerful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

From iFixit:

Old Air:

New Air:

Not sure if I'm already agreeing with you here, but both Airs use integrated graphics. The NV320 is misleadinly labelled and is merely part of the northbridge.

Discrete graphics would be a third chip that is nothing but GPU.