Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RyceCube
Dec 22, 2003
Does anyone know if its possible to use the new cinema display on a PC or older mac that doesn't have thunderbolt?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyceCube
Dec 22, 2003
Does anyone know if i could daisychain into a thunderbolt display with a 24" Dell LCD panel I have, using a Mini DP to DVI adapter?

RyceCube
Dec 22, 2003

SeventySeven posted:

While there's a lot of hate of OCZ on this forum I've used that drive in that MBP for the last 6 months without any issue. Obviously you'll want to have a good backup plan in place and be prepared for a failed drive.

I actually have an OCZ Vertex 2 running in my desktop that I was planning on putting in my MBP. What are the issues that have made OCZ drives complete poo poo apparently lately? Would I be better off just buying a new one?

RyceCube
Dec 22, 2003
I own a 2010 15" MBP. Will a MINI DP to DVI adapter work ok for driving a Dell U2711 at native res?

RyceCube
Dec 22, 2003

Bitcoin Billionaire posted:

Pretty sure you will need an active converter as opposed to the passive one. The one Apple makes is total poo poo, I use this Accell one which I've had no problems with so far.

What about using a Mini DP to HDMI adapter?

RyceCube
Dec 22, 2003
My charger no longer works but im under AppleCare. Problem is, there are no Apple stores around. Should I take it to an Apple resaler or just call Applecare?

RyceCube
Dec 22, 2003
My 2010 pro won't turn on. Anything I should try before I send it in ? I don't live near an apple store. The charger lights up green and I tried to do an SMC reset.

RyceCube fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Aug 11, 2012

RyceCube
Dec 22, 2003

decypher posted:

You've tried holding down the power button for 10 seconds, waiting 5 seconds, then hitting the power button again?

Did the SMC reset "take" ?

Not sure if it would address the issue but might as well reset the PRAM as well, right?

How do I reset the PRAM? The laptop doesn't boot at all.

Im not sure how to tell if the SMC reset took.

e: The light indicator on the left wors if its plugged in, but doesn't if its not.

RyceCube
Dec 22, 2003

decypher posted:

A successful SMC reset should make the power plug light change colors from orange to green.

code:

PRAM Reset:
Shut down the computer.
Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command , Option, P, and R. 
You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously.

1. Turn on the computer.
2. Immediately press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.
3. Continue holding the keys down until the computer restarts, and you hear the startup sound for the second time.

Release the keys.

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH11243

My charger light is always green and I can't turn my laptop on.

RyceCube
Dec 22, 2003
How well does the Macbook trackpad work in windows?

RyceCube
Dec 22, 2003
Need to reformat blank HD on my macbook pro. Tried making a bootable USB drive (FAT32) but it wont read it and I only get internet recovery as an option. Any ideas?

e: I need to do this from a windows machine

e2: damnit just read the above posts.

e3: Can i use this option+r restore option on something other than mountain lion? I don't have it and would just like to DL my old OS.

RyceCube fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jul 6, 2013

RyceCube
Dec 22, 2003
I have a mid 2010 Mbp that I reformatted and I want to use system recovery to reinstall osx. I don't have a disc and when I log in they want to verify my account but I don't have any versions of osx purchased on my apple account so it won't let me download maverick. I don't mind just paying $20 but It seems like i can't even buy it without being in osx.

I have an ISO file is there anyway I can make a bootable thumb stick from my windows machine?

RyceCube
Dec 22, 2003

I Might Be Adam posted:

I'm sure that even the stock rMBPs are going to blow away my current machine but it's the longevity I'm thinking about. I usually get a minimum of 5 years out of my apple counters before certain tasks become too slow and irritating. Last year, it was a print catalog with back and forth Photoshop and InDesign work on large files that finally made me decide I need to start looking for new machine. Watching programs hang and chug along for minutes at a time can really affect your productivity.

Good news is that I'll be able to dump some more ram into it and my wife can use it for internet/word processing for quite a bit longer after I upgrade to a new machine.

Honestly, youre probably better off spending less, putting aside the money, and selling your laptop in 2-3 years and buying a new one then trying to make one last 5 years. You'll probably have a drastically more usable machine towards the end, while spending similar amounts. The diminishing returns for spending more is pretty high.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyceCube
Dec 22, 2003
Does anyone know if you can get the apple student discount at bestbuy in canada?