Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

japtor posted:

Anyway to clear some stuff up, or perhaps confuse, I went through the CPU pages and used the comparison thingy for these:

Mac mini CPUs

Interesting...I guess there's really not that much of a difference between the i5 and i7 in the Mini. Both have VT extensions, both have hyperthreading. I run into processor issues often on my 2.26 C2D Macbook Pro, but I guess the difference between the i5 and i7 compared to what I have really isn't going to be that big of a deal.

eames posted:

The new MBA’s optional 1.8 Ghz i7 turbo boosts up to 2.9 Ghz on a single core and 2.6 Ghz when both cores are utilized.

First benchmarks are popping up and they are… impressive.

(picture by macrumors, rehosted)

I wonder how much of that is on disk speed, and what it'd look like if the MBP also had an SSD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

El Jackalope posted:

Thanks. I'm at the apple store waiting to buy my new Air and since the company is buying it for me, I might as well pick up a mini since I have the money as well.

New Minis are in store? I'm assuming just the 2.3 and 2.5 i5's, right?

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Are there any takeaparts out there of the new base model Mini? I'm curious whether it has the necessary bits for adding the second hard drive after the fact, or if it needs an additional sled or something.

I think my plan would be to get the base 500gb one, add a 100gb-ish SSD now, then eventually bump the 500gb drive up to a 1TB drive.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Sure enough...

quote:

I have just taken apart 2.5 Core i5 Mac mini, and it has a second custom SATA port (with the small zif connector) but no supplied cable/adaptor. The second hard drive stacks underneath the first and will require screws/cage to slot in.

There is no temperature sensor/connector with the base 500GB HD, but there is an empty zif socket underneath the fan, which I suspect may be for temp sensors on the server model.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Heh, naturally as SOON as I get done buying one and taking it apart stupid iFixit beats me to posting about it.

But yes, the drives just stack. The first drive is held in with two screws attached to the antenna shield, and two bumpers on the outside. The second one should just get thrown in there on top of the first. I fit a second 2.5" drive in there without issue - just need the right cable.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

One drive.

Two drives!

Fits!!!

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Your drive's got some bent pins. :(

OH NO

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

gregday posted:

Use what works for you, but I'm pretty sure no one else has that issue.

Safari messes with my USB drives as well, but so does a bunch of stuff inside OSX that really shouldn't.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Binary Badger posted:

I've only seen this happen when using super el-cheapo $5 enclosures from a Chinatown computer store or a sale at MicroCenter. Some do and some don't. Enclosures with Oxford chipsets never give me a problem on any modern Firewire Mac except for some early G3 towers and the Yikes! G4.

I'm using a 1TB WD MyBook Studio that was completely unusable over firewire, so I'm using it over USB. Definitely not el-cheapo, but it's definitely a piece of poo poo enclosure.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Is there a Starcraft 2 demo? I got the 2.5 i5 Mini last night and can test whatever for people tonight.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

After getting my iPad, my MBP didn't leave its spot on my desk once. Replaced it with a new mini, selling the MBP.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

11" Air + Thunderbolt Display :catdrugs:

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I don't know how to check FPS in Starcraft II, but running the demo at 1900x1200 it looked great and performed as fast as I'd expect on the 2.5 mini.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I think this Mini really needs an SSD. The 5400 rpm drive just can't hang - I'm getting more beachballs in Safari than I ever have. It's either the drive or Lion, I guess.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I'd get the $799 one with discrete graphics if you care about games. This thing crushes. Or at least, coming from a 2.26 C2D + 9400M, it crushes.

edit: I'm starting to suspect that something else was going on last night. I unplugged my Duet and external HD, rebooted, killed everything that started up automatically before (Rivet, Dropbox, and Radium) and everything seems cool today. I bet it was the Duet - that thing is a greasefire on Lion right now.

DEUCE SLUICE fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jul 23, 2011

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Welp, my new mini has the same bullshit screen flickering with the 24" Cinema Display as all the other new thunderbolt macs. Great.

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/03/11/some-new-macbook-pros-causing-flickering-in-24-inch-cinema-displays/
https://discussions.apple.com/message/15710604#15710604
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2765598?start=480&tstart=0

Guess I was wrong to expect that they'd fix something they've known about since the first T-bolt Macs came out. :smith:

DEUCE SLUICE fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jul 24, 2011

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

As soon as someone comes out with the right cable to add a second drive to the Mini I will be joining the glorious SSD revolution. Clock's running, people!

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

You Am I posted:

You also forget the MBP has an ethernet port and firewire (although I expect FW to go bye-byes with the next refresh if the new Apple Cinema Displays are anything to go by). I much prefer my 13" MBP over an Air, from both an upgradeability point of view as well as having an ethernet port in it, which is great for work.

Thunderbolt is going to replace FW and ethernet on all Apple portables at the next refresh, and the optical drive will go as well. The 13" Pro goes away while the 15" and 17" become airs. Book it.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Oh, no, I think they'll keep discrete GPU's in the 15 and 17. They obviously know it's important - they dropped the optical drive in the Mini in favor of a discrete video card.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Mr Chips posted:

While it makes sense to replace ieee1394 with thunderbolt for your high speed peripherals, I can't see how it makes any sense as an ethernet replacement.

I was thinking in more of a docking setup (see: Thunderbolt display.)

On the go you'd probably just go use a USB ethernet adapter if you can't use wireless. (But you'd just use wireless)

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

flyboi posted:

It's the Apple resale tax. 99% of people reselling their Apple hardware are jerks.

Hey, one of those 09 Macbook Pro jerks is me, and I fully expect to sell for less than I'm asking.

But maybe not, my craigslist post is blowing up.

edit: and there isn't a refurb 13" MBP on the store right now for less than $1019, fwiw

DEUCE SLUICE fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Jul 27, 2011

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Is anyone else using a thunderbolt mac with a 24" LED Cinema display?

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

SourKraut posted:

This does have me a little worried, since I'm waiting on my 2011 13" MBP to come in, and I was planning on connecting the MBP to my 24" 1920x1200 display at home (while still having the display on the MBP going too, for dual-screen effect). :(

As long as you're not talking about hooking it up to a 24" Cinema Display, you should be fine.

The 24" ACD is moderately hosed connecting to Thunderbolt Mac's and Apple really doesn't know how to handle it still.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Interesting. Apple has replaced 24" LED Cinema Displays of people who bought Thunderbolt Macs with 27's due to that flickering issue.

I guess I'll give them a call tomorrow!

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I'm always amazed at how well Apple stuff holds its value. Just sold my mid-2009 13" MBP for $800 shipped. Paid for my 2.5 Mac Mini in entirety. :awesomelon:

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I was selling a 2.2C2D 13" Macbook Pro, 4GB of ram + 500gb hard drive for $800 shipped just a little while ago. Most people here and on Craigslist were offering around the Mac2Sell price of about $680, but I got full asking price on another forum I frequent - one less traveled by habitual Mac flippers.

So probably start at about $100 above Mac2Sell, and throw it up wherever you can.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Unless you play bass it won't be much good to you. I just managed to get lucky somewhere I'm already a member of the community.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

eames posted:

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/08/01/external-thunderbolt-pci-expansion-chassis-and-hub-in-development/

This could be amazing, external graphics cards for notebooks are inching closer thanks to Thunderbolt.

I'm super excited about this for something like an Apogee Symphony64 card instead of video, but I'm super excited about TBolt in general.

Would have been super cool for Apple to build a video card into the Thunderbolt Display, though...

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Have you guys had any problem with OCZ SSD's in OSX? I see some complaints about firmware updating, but it looks like they have a linux boot disk that should take care of that.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

Why would you buy an OCZ?

Because the 120GB Solid3 is $150? I dunno, I've never looked at SSD's until literally 30 minutes ago.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Found a more reasonably priced Mac Mini bottom hard drive cable on powerbookmedic.com. Out of stock now, but it was $35 shipped.

Now I just need to figure out what SSD to put in.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

If your receiver has optical, you'll want something like this: http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-THINTOSMIN6-Toslink-Digital-Optical/dp/B00016W6Y6

If not, a standard 1/8" to RCA stereo pair will work.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

brenter posted:

Will this one work? Need a longer length.

http://www.amazon.com/Cables-Go-27016-Velocity-Toslink/dp/B0002JFN1A/ref=pd_cp_e_2

Yup, any miniplug to toslink cable should work.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

japtor posted:

In case anyone else is looking, someone on eBay is selling them too (ended up just over $35 shipped for me):
http://cgi.ebay.com/mac-mini-922-9560-Cable-Flex-Bottom-Hard-Drive-Server-/160634677387?pt=Apple_Desktops&hash=item256692a88b
I saw most places sold out, or one of the first places people noticed...which has apparently been slowly jacking up the price on the part since then. I think it was around $40 last I saw, along with $16 shipping or something ridiculous on top of that.

Yeah, I had purchased one from MacPartsOnline for $56, then got the notification from powerbookmedic that they had the cable for $29. Canceled my order on MPO and my cable should be here in a few days. Now I just need to get an SSD.

As an aside, has anyone compared the 24" or 27" ACD's to the equivalent Dell side by side? I'm not terribly confident that Apple will be able to fix the issue with thunderbolt macs on the 24" ACD (as it's been around since the first thunderbolt Macbooks Pro,) so I'm considering just selling the ACD and picking up a U2412M (and a webcam, I guess.)

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Cool, thanks. I'm going to give Apple another couple of weeks to get a firmware update out, and call and yell at them a few more times, before making the switch. I really hope I don't have to. :(

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

iFixit has a kit out for adding a second drive to the new Mini.

http://www.ifixit.com/Apple-Parts/Mac-Mini-Dual-Hard-Drive-Kit/IF171-005

I already have the cable (and a similar bit driver kit) so I don't need it, but the grommets and screws look specific enough that you need them if you want to do the install "right." I might just throw the drive in there without mounting it. If you don't need to remove the HD bracket you can drop the second drive in without moving the logic board.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Just put my OWC SSD into my mini, and it was super easy. Remove fan, RAM, fan cowling, antenna shield, and hard drive, pop the logic board out just a cm or so, and the new drive slides right in. I didnt bother with grommets or anything after seeing how tightly the thing fits when put together, the top drive doesn't move at all.

If only I had created a full install stick beforehand...internet recovery is sloooooow.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

iStat certainly sees some kind of temp sensor with my SSD - and says both of my drives sit between 38 and 48 degrees C, which should be perfectly fine.

I do think putting some bumpers between the drives is a good idea, though, and I had something that would have worked had I thought of it. Oh well, I'll fix it when I swap out the 500gb with a TB drive.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I like bluetooth keyboards too, but I've never been able to get them to recognize startup option keypresses, so I have to go bust out the USB keyboard when I'm trying to change something around.

I wish there were more keyboard options for Macs. I'm tempted to go mechanical with that Razer keyboard, but it looks So Dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Did you buy the iMac with the wireless keyboard included? I think they pair those extra hard. Or something.

I'm also using the slightly older three-battery keyboard, and was trying with a mid 09 MBP and a brand new Mini, both no go.