Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

Man, I'm this close to getting a MBA. But occasionally I switch over to wanting an iPad, and with the spare money I could get a small netbook if I needed it. Goddamnit.

I'm perfectly happy having a Mini and an iPad. My laptop lived docked to my screen almost all the time before I got it, and after I got my iPad it didn't leave once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

brc64 posted:

That looks cool, but it looks like it's designed to be a Windows keyboard. Would the trackpad work as expected on a Mac? And that reminds me... is there a decent wireless keyboard that actually has a number pad? What the gently caress is up with the Apple wireless keyboard not having a number pad? For $70, that's pretty awful.

Logitech solar keyboard as mentioned earlier on this page.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Space Racist posted:

Anyone else have any particular Macs they lust after?

I want an SE/30 so bad.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Oh poo poo, someone on my local craigslist is selling a nicely upgraded SE/30 for $30. :dance:

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I think the Elgato ones are the ones normally recommended.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

oh god what have I done

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

rsjr posted:

Ordered a 13" MBA and want to put Windows 7 on it. I need a decent OS so OS X is out of the question.

You have made a mistake.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I want to get my SE/30 online so badly, just can't really swallow paying $90 for an ethernet card when the thing cost $30.

Going to get a USB floppy drive and steal some 3.5's from my dad, though. Shufflepuck cafe, here I come!

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I'm severely constricted by the wife as to the amount of gear I can spread around my house. The only way I got away with getting the SE/30 was because it's tiny. I think it's the card or nothing.

I'm curious how well the MacCon would work plugged into a wireless bridge, though...

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Oh cool, the Thunderbolt related firmware update for the new Mac Mini didn't do anything to fix the blinking / glitching when used with the 24" ACD. :sigh:

Anyone using a Thunderbolt Mac with a non-Apple monitor over DisplayPort? I think I'm about to give up on this combination ever working, and both HP and Dell have ~$400 LED Backlit / IPS 24" monitors out now. If I can at least use DisplayPort with one of those guys I can hook an Xbox up to it as well. That'd be nice.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Just grab a cheap USB or Firewire audio interface and plug your speakers into that.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

ndrake posted:

Interesting. So something like this would work and not degrade the sound?

No idea about that specific one, but most USB DAC's are going to be for people who aren't happy with their onboard sound (and/or have specific needs like instrument inputs) so normally anything should be better than onboard.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Return it, buy a Mac Mini and one of the nice new LED backlit / IPS Dell or HP monitors.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Elgato has a video capture deal that should do the trick for $100.

http://www.elgato.com/elgato/na/mainmenu/products/Video-Capture/product1.en.html

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

mayodreams posted:

The mini comes with a 5400RPM drive that is going to really drag down performance in Garage band.

Eh, for what someone normally does in Garageband the 5400rpm drive will be fine.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

mayodreams posted:

Thanks for your brilliant insight. As TheJoker mentioned, his dad is heavily into pro audio, so I sincerely doubt he is a 'normal' user. Recording to the boot drive is never a good idea, let alone when it is a slow 5400 RPM laptop drive. Which is is why we are recommending the iMac with the larger, and faster desktop drives, and why I recommended a FW800 drive if he needed professional level software.

And thanks for yours. It really depends on how many tracks he's going to be working with. I have done plenty of field recording, overdub work, and small projects on 5400 RPM laptop drives without issue using Logic. He said he needs to do "audio recording," not run a studio.

So again, if he's just using Garageband to record a few tracks to demo the new amplifier or guitar he put together, a mini will be fine.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

loving FINALLY. Apple just silently put out a firmware update for the 24" ACD which fixes the flickering when connected to a Thunderbolt Mac (such as my i5 Mini!) FLICKER FREE

http://km.support.apple.com/library/APPLE/APPLECARE_ALLGEOS/TS4045/24-inchCinemaDisplayFirmwareUpdate.dmg

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

The Macaroni posted:

Sorry if this has been answered: can you do dual monitors with a Mac mini? I was just on the Apple Store website to try to figure this out, but I clicked on a link and found the store has been taken down for The Big iPhone Thingamabob today.

It has an HDMI output and Thunderbolt output, so you can do at least two.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Would anyone be interested in a mechanical tenkeyless style keyboard with native Apple keys?

Something like this:

But with all the brightness / itunes / volume / command keys as a modern Apple keyboard should have.

No one is currently making one, so I'm trying to find a manufacturer who'd be willing to make a limited run and starting a Kickstarter, or maybe just fronting the money myself and taking orders.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

echobucket posted:

It's not true that nobody is making one. In fact, I bought one from DSI and decided I didn't like it much and I'm selling it on ebay right now. It's called the DSI Modular Mac keyboard.

Right, that one's the closest, but it still takes up more room than the tenkeyless and it doesn't have the native function keys like a modern mac keyboard.

And I think, were I to succeed in finding someone to make this, it'd have to be USB, but I don't know what would be possible color wise.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Wireless isn't such a concern for me personally but yeah, dang, the Unicomp is ugly.

~Coxy posted:

Wouldn't those functions just sit on the function keys? They do on the chiclet keyboards.

Right. The unicomp has the right layout and functionality with Fn key access to the F-keys, it's just so loving huge and ugly. I want the unicomp in a tenkeyless like the Filco or Leopold.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

~Coxy posted:

Again, I'm not trying to be obnoxious here but I don't understand why you wouldn't just buy that Filco? Sure you'd have to spend 5 minutes setting up the keys in Sys Prefs...

It's the principle of the thing! We shouldn't have to run some kind of third party program to get brightness keys mapped to the F-row. You can swap the option and command keys in sys prefs, but everything else you need something like BetterTouchTool.

As for the wired Apple mini keyboard, it's a pretty different deal from a mechanical switch keyboard. Also, I already have a Bluetooth mini keyboard (as does just about anyone that owns a desktop Mac nowadays.)

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

japtor posted:

Did you check for firmware updates? I think someone with a new Mac mini here had a similar problem and the recent round of firmware updates fixed it for him.

All of the recent thunderbolt Macs have had firmware updates to their Thunderbolt controller - but the issue in the video (and the one I had with my Mini) was actually resolved by a firmware update to the Cinema Display itself.

edit: Which, if anyone is reading this and says "Hey, my ACD flickers too!" is this one right here: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4045?viewlocale=en_US

DEUCE SLUICE fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Oct 11, 2011

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

How is the 750 compared to the stock chiclet keyboard?

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Choadmaster posted:

(And now my Mac Mini, which has been in for hardware replacement twice now, has begun kernel panicking again. Will this ever end?)

What kind of mini?

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I'm hoping to goodness this EFI update fixes the weird freezing I've been having on my Mini...

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

japtor posted:

I'd lean towards iPad+Mac mini combo cause other than the cheapest combo for iPad development if you go that path...

I am still exceptionally happy with my 2.5 i5 Mini + 24" ACD + iPad setup.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Thunderbolt is going to take care of those last two pretty soon, too.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I really wish OWC had a native OSX way of updating the firmware on their SSD's. Their options are a Linux boot disk for a small handful of machines, or a Windows updater. I guess I'll make a bootcamp partition on my Mini after all.

I really need to see whether the latest firmware update fixes this stupid hanging that's been happening on mine, before I start taking more drastic measures.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

japtor posted:

They make their own SF based drives.

They sure do, and in the USA as well.

Between this updating bullshit and the freezing I'll never second guess paying the Apple tax on an SSD again. How can OWC of all people release a product that requires Windows to update?

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Had to tear apart my Mini and disconnect the second hard drive in order for boot camp to install. :stonk: Fortunately I'm at the point where I can do a complete teardown in about five minutes, but it's still ridiculous.

What happened for those of you with two hard drives from the factory? I can't imagine having to resort to doing that on an iMac.

Oh well, SSD firmware is updated and so far, so good.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

japtor posted:

Any clue if that's a normal thing with upgraded dual drive ones?

No idea, that's what I was asking. It looks like it's a bug in the Windows installer so I'm not sure how they'd fix it, but I can't imagine they'd let that happen with the oem dual drive Macs.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Can you buy the Apple OEM SSD anywhere?

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I'm looking for the 256GB one and I know the price is ridiculous, but I'm at the end of my rope with my OWC and don't hold out much hope that anything outside of an Apple SSD will be more stable.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

What third-parties are people using? I did a ton of research before going with the OWC but I guess I hosed up.

I'm so tempted to sell my Mini and the SSD and get one with SSD from Apple, or also sell my ACD and get a 21" iMac. I deal with enough broken poo poo at work, I can't handle it at home.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Cloned my SSD to an old 160GB platter drive so I can return the SSD to OWC for repairs. (Need firmware update to fix freezing, firmware updater isn't updating the drive, so back it goes.)

This is loving horrible. How do people live like this?

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

And it's awesome. :D

I use the Kanex XD for my 360 and PS3, and also use regular DisplayPort to use my iMac as the display for my gaming machine. It's awesome and now I can't imagine upgrading for a very long time because I use the functionality so much.

I'm not sure why I hadn't thought of this before, but I could use an HDMI switch with the Kanex plugged into my ACD to be able to switch between my mini & whatever else, couldn't I?

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Not sure if this counts as hardware or software, but I'm amazed at this: when did my mid-2010 27" iMac get the option of turning off the display with Control-Shift-Eject? I swear to god only my MacBooks could do it in the past and it was a huge gripe for me with my iMac. Am I going crazy and it could do it all along or was it added in with Lion or something?

I've been doing this for years with my cinema display.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

A Thunderbolt->FireWire adapter is all I'd need to be able to have an MBA as my main machine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Shaocaholica posted:

I can't think of any current gen video that is limited to FW. I always thought pro audio was mostly on USB? Why not actually ask the OP?

Audio stuff, yes. There are only a small handful of interfaces that do 16 in / 16 out at 24/96 over USB. Everything else is still firewire.