Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jeratain
Apr 5, 2004

I have no socially redeeming value.
I just ordered a iMac the other day, which will ship to me sometime on Monday or later. I don't know if it will include Mac OSX Lion preinstalled or not, but for the sake of this post, let's assume it doesn't I don't want to upgrade to Lion. Rather, I'd like to have a clean install of Lion.

While reading AnandTech today, I came across this:

"AnandTech posted:

For those of you who are attached to an install disk for one reason or another, accessing the .DMG file within the Lion installer and burning your own DVD is fairly trivial for even a moderately technical user. The installer, like other App Store downloads, is dropped in your Applications folder. Right-click (or CTRL-clicking, depending on your setup) the installer, click Show Package Contents, go into the Contents folder, then the SharedSupport folder, and burn the .dmg file you find here to a DVD (or copy it to a USB stick) with Disk Utility.

It’s not something every user will want to do, but advanced users or people who reinstall their OS often may want to take advantage of it (especially since Apple's official line, in the event that you need to reinstall OS X to a brand-new hard drive, is to first install Snow Leopard, and then install Lion). It should be noted that this is also the easiest, most convenient way to do a clean install of Lion, which is not offered as an option in the standard installer.

So my understanding is:
1. Download the Lion upgrade file.
2. Burn the .dmg file to either a DVD or USB stick.
3. Boot the Mac using the DVD or USB stick from step 2 --> Perform fresh installation

Is this correct, or is there something more complicated that I'm missing? Am I to assume that the installer will automatically know how to partition my drives, whether to install directly to the SSD vs. HDD, etc.?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeratain
Apr 5, 2004

I ordered an iMac through a friend who works at Apple (for the discount). The iMac is being shipped to my name/address, but the original purchase was done by said friend. I realized late in the process that I had mistakenly ordered the Magic Mouse instead of the Magic Trackpad, so it was too late to switch. Once the order is delivered to my home, is it possible to take the Magic Mouse to an Apple store and exchange it for a Magic Trackpad (I will not open or use it before exchanging), or is this going to be difficult because I was not the person who placed the order?

Jeratain
Apr 5, 2004

Good news everyone (just me actually)! I went to the Apple Store today and they confirmed two things for me:
1. My iMac won't have a bad drive because it was manufactured in late July
2. If I bring the whole box in I can swap out the magic mouse for the trackpad

Jeratain
Apr 5, 2004

Hardflip posted:

Looking at bit more a few of them are saying their 10.7.2 developer build has it fixed. That has iCloud built into it though, so I'm not sure if Apple would want to release it straight away.
Well hopefully soon. I had this impact me when I tried watching a built-in video tutorial and had to hard shut down my computer to regain access. It sucked.

Jeratain
Apr 5, 2004

I have a 2011 iMac 27 with the SSD + HDD combo, and it's got a clean OSX Lion install on it (it does not have one of the known HDD issues that needs replacing). Sometimes it will start making a very subtle clicking noise (not the hard drive) that sounds like a metronome or something similar. It will sporadically start and stop. This does not sound normal for a computer.

Any ideas what this might be?

Jeratain
Apr 5, 2004

flyboi posted:

You sure it isn't the hard drive? That's typically the sound a hard drive makes when the heads have a seeking error.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLHq-5uUMx0 You can hear the seeking error in the background of this video.

I listened the video and that seems far more loud than the noise I'm hearing. Here's what I know...

1. It's only happened since I installed a clean install of Lion (though I had limited time with Snow Leopard).
2. It's very sporadic and not reproducable (that I can tell).
a. It's currently not happening, which I'm actually happy about.
b. I've turned off and rebooted the computer to have it reproduced once.
3. The sound is very subtle. It almost sounds like the speakers have are playing a sound file that's failed.
a. However I can still play music and other sounds fine while this sound is happening.
4. I assume an SSD makes no noise, but the 1TB drive makes the standard click access sound that any hard drive platter does. However if this sound is the HDD, then I'd be shocked.

I almost feel it's software related more than it's hardware related, but I've nothing to back that up. Maybe I'll get lucky and not have it happen again.

And just to re-verify: yes, I even ran my SN through the HDD replacement link and it said my system is not affected.

Jeratain
Apr 5, 2004

Mu Zeta posted:

They clearly designed it for laptops though especially with it acting as a hub and the magsafe connector on it.

Thats how I use mine at work. I actually wish I could adjust the height on it because the thunderbolt 27 is just slightly lower than I would prefer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeratain
Apr 5, 2004

Since the OP is somewhat dated since Mountain Lion came out, I'm going to ask a pretty common question again.

Has the consensus on enabling TRIM for a third party SSD drive under Mountain Lion changed? I recently installed a Crucial M4 256GB SSD drive on my MBPro13 8,1 and have not enabled TRIM. A lot of Googling and searching on that drive has given completely mixed reviews about whether it's worth trying to enable TRIM, so I've decided to leave it disabled for the time being.

Anyone have a good reason why I should consider enabling it in Mountain Lion?