Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

Astro7x posted:

Carrying over discussion from the other thread about the new Cinema Display.

So if I wanted to hook up my 2008 Mac Pro to it, I would just need to get a Thunderbolt to DVI connector, correct?

I find it weird that if there are currently no Mac Pros out there that support the Thunderbolt Cinema Display that they show it next to a Mac Pro on the product page: http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC914LL/A?fnode=MTY1NDA5OQ&mco=MjMzOTYzMjc&s=topSellers

Click Enlarge Image, then there are photos of the display next to all the Macs.

Apple still sells the non Thunderbolt display as well.
http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC007LL/A?fnode=MTY1NDA5OQ&mco=MTkwMzc1NDA

It's the one that is shipping in 24 hours, the TB display has a ship time of 6-8 weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
Don't buy a G5 unless you specifically need to run software that will only run on a PPC based mac. They are slow, extra noisy, give off a poo poo load of heat, and suck down electricity like crazy.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

Bob Morales posted:

All these people who want an 'upgradeable' Mac that isn't the Pro. what do you want to upgrade to? 3-4 video cards? 6 hard drives? 128GB RAM?

I think the only way they would be able to make that (not that they would) is use an i5/i7 instead of a Xeon (cheaper motherboards, RAM, etc)

An i5/i7 box that you could slap a couple CUDA GPU cards in for a cheap Resolve system or put an I/O card in for a lower end edit suite.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

lord funk posted:

I was rendering some video today on a current Mac Pro. While it was chugging, I checked Activity Monitor and it said FCP was using only 11% of the CPU. Is this my internal HDD write speed bottleneck?

Ideally you want FCP and your media to be on different disks, and you want the disk your media is on to be the fastest possible. If your doing say DV you should be able to get away with a FW 800 drive, on an internal drive you should be able to get away with maybe one stream of HD material, depending on the codec and bitrate, anything more than that and you are going to need to start investigating RAIDs; eSATA, SAS/miniSAS, or Fibre.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

SourKraut posted:

But those professionals also typically always first have those files stored locally I thought, with the external storage serving more as a backup or used when needing to transport the files?

If you're editing HD or higher resolution video internal storage isn't fast enough.

I just can't see something like this flying with people who still use Mac Pros. I'm a one man in house corporate video guy and I've got ~10k in pci expansion cards and external storage, you get up to a larger post house and you're talking hundreds of thousands of dollars, and they are supposed to replace all this with Thunderbolt based stuff? I've been on the fence as to continuing to be Mac based when we upgrade the current machine, or going to a Windows based machine, and if something like this came to pass it would make the choice a lot easier.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

ratbert90 posted:

The new Mac Pro is awful. :ugh: I really don't have much else to say about it other than I really can't see why you would use one.

It doesn't have internal PCI-X ports.
It isn't Professional looking.
It doesn't have internal optical bays.
They moved all expansion to external, which isn't what people using a pro want.

Why couldn't they have just fully updated the current look of the Mac Pro? It's iconic, looks professional, and it's upgradeable.

Didn't even notice the no optical bay. That's another strike, I've got to have one of those, contrary to what Apple wants you to think people do still want physical DVDs and Blu-Ray discs, and I don't want to have to gently caress around with external burners.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

Electric Bugaloo posted:

How is external expandability "not professional?" The original reason pro computers needed to be internally expandable is because there wasn't an external connection standard that could remotely touch internal I/O on speed or bandwidth. With Thunderbolt 2, that definitely isn't the case anymore. The old Mac Pro is gorgeous and made a ton of sense in a pre-Thunderbolt/pre-solid state world. It's also physically massive, loud, and a power hog.

Don't get me wrong- there's a lot that I dislike about what they showed off at WWDC (AMD GPUs?!). But to say that it doesn't make sense or "why would you use one?" is frankly ridiculous to me. Also, I think it looks dope as hell, but maybe that's just me.

I don't think fully external expansion is quite ready for prime time, look at how long it's taken to get the limited amount of T-bolt devices there are out, and upgrading every workstation to external expansion chassis is going to add a significant cost, especially to someone like a large post house with dozens of workstations who would need dozens of expansion chassis and probably dozens of new cards as well. Plus who knows how well adding T-bolt into existing infrastructure is even going to work. What if my fibre card doesn't like having to go through T-bolt first? I'm just not sure that this is an area where fully abandoning the existing way things are done is worth it. Look at the bath APple took when FCP was revamped into FCPX, I kind of think the same thing is going to happen here.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

cbirdsong posted:

I don't think Apple is going to ship a Blu-ray drive, and I'm not sure who would need an optical drive in a Mac Pro and be satisfied with a DVD-RW.

I've got a DVD burner and a Blu-ray burner in my Pro. The Blu-Ray is after market, but the current Pro has two optical bays that made it an easy and painless add on. I've never been a fan of external burners.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
For a disruptive machine like this to gain real widespread traction it needs to do something better, more efficiently, or that cannot be done at all with current technology. The new Pro doesn't do this. Thunderbolt has no advantage over current workflows that makes it worth the, in some cases very, expensive proposition to replace what is currently available. Add into that that it adds another point of failure to the system in the external chassis and I see very little advantage in going this way. At least in the video world very little is Mac only any more, it's very easy to be a Windows shop.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

Molten Llama posted:

On the whole I can see where they're going with the Mac Pro and don't mind it, but the AMD GPUs are a big fat question mark.

About the only thing in the land of video that supports them today is the Adobe suite, and even that's only if you're a Creative Cloud subscriber.

And how did we unexpectedly end up here when the entire current lineup uses NVIDIA GPUs?

Still not a fan of the new Mac Pro, but the next version of DaVinci Resolve will work with OpenCL in addition to CUDA, so that's pretty big, at least in the video production market.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
Could you use one of these to run a 10' TB cable from the Mac to the box and then another TB cable from the box to the monitor?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/929779-REG/belkin_f4u055ww_thunderbolt_express_dock.html

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
I just can't see buying a new Mac Pro without being able to slot in a CUDA card, and my fibre or mini-SAS cards. I'm sure there will be T-bolt expansion chassis for all that, but it's just extra expense, points of failure, and cables/boxes taking up space. I'm not software locked to OSX any more, and my work gets a better deal on Windows workstations anyway, so I think this soon to be last generation Mac Pro will be my last.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
People better not forget their adaptors now. I've no problem supplying mini-display to whatever, I get that poo poo in bulk for cheap, but gently caress if I'm buying USB-C dongles.

I really need to get ProRes out of my workflow so I can ditch Mac entirely, they clearly don't give enough of a gently caress to update the Pro.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

Mordiceius posted:

I plan on using the computer for film editing with adobe premiere.

Not going to lie, I'm having a hard time imagining doing any serious editing on a laptop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
If it weren't for how ingrained ProRes is in the video world I'm pretty sure a lot more people would ditch/stop caring about the Pro. I know I would. I need as many cores as possible, so the iMac is a no go. Skipped the 6.1 because we had a relatively new 5.1, but it's getting long in the tooth, and with how unappealing the 6.1 is it might be time to bite the bullet, change our workflow and just make the jump to a Windows workstation.