Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
Will the Thunderbolt Display work with Mini DP? I have an early 2010 MBP and I'm overdue for a new monitor, but the Apple site says you need a Thunderbolt-enabled Mac.

Is that just for the chaining functions, or has my wallet dodged a gigantic bullet (at least until the next MBP refresh, at which point I am going to be so goddamn broke)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!

amf5 posted:

You could always just get the previous model, it's not like the existence of the newer one automatically turns the panel into a horrible jelly or something.

Would be open to this, except that I know for a fact I am going to be buying a Thunderbolt MBP sometime in the next 8-12 months (trying to hold out for a refresh, I've found buying a new computer every 2 years or so and selling the old one is the best way for me to rationalize my constant need to upgrade). If I'm going to put down 1k for a screen, I'd like it to be futureproof (as much as it can be, anyway).

quote:

Not really a hardware question but since I'm using it to buy apple hardware, how is their financing? I'm thinking about using that to buy the new air since I don't want to put it on my credit card but would like to hear from others before I commit.

They have 12 months same as cash. If you know you are going to be able to pay it off in 12 months, I see no reason not to go for it. Just NEVER miss a payment or you'll be paying for it.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
I've got 3k allotted for a 15 inch retina MBP with 16gb of ram, and now this thread has me terrified that I'm going to end up with a laggy mess. :(

I was planning on holding off until the next refresh, though. Is the lag in the retinas a common problem? Every site I've read had nothing but praise for it, but then again, lol tech journalism.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!

flavor posted:

I can't give you a general response (it depends on your needs), but as somebody who has one, I can give you some observations.

First, your time frame: As pointed out in the OP, nobody will know exactly when there will be a refresh until it happens. The best educated guess I can give you as of right now is sometime during summer, because Intel's new Haswell CPUs are currently supposed to come out in June. If you don't immediately place your order the day it comes out and wait for reviews instead, chances are that you'll have to wait a few weeks. Extrapolating from last year (7 weeks between Intel's architecture release and the rMBP release, reviews trickling in during the following week, another week for your research into the performance, 2-4 weeks for delivery since you're not ordering immediately), I'd guess you would have your machine in hand sometime in September.

Second, my observations: I've got the version with the 2.7 GHz CPU, 16 GB RAM and 512 GB SSD. (Of the three, I'd think the RAM is the most important to "future proof" the system. How much SSD space you need depends on your mobile needs and whether you need to run Boot Camp (I don't on that one). At home you can easily add an external USB 3 hard disk.) At home, where I do most CPU/GPU-intensive work on it, I'm using it with a Thunderbolt Display along with a keyboard, trackpad and mouse, which turns it into a de facto iMac. I'm running that screen in its native resolution, so no lag that's caused by pixel reformatting can occur.

I'm using the internal display at 1920x1200, because that's what I'm used to from my 17" MBP (Early 2011). My mobile usage outside of travel tends to be on the not so CPU/GPU-intensive side.

I've just played a little with re-sizing some application windows including Safari on both screens for comparison, and I didn't notice any lag, but I think that this is extremely subjective and depending on usage patterns. I'd contend that re-sizing and scrolling Safari is a pretty silly test for this machine, because if Safari is your main intended use for a notebook, you're really not going to have any need for this kind of machine (unless you're a web designer).

Where this thing shines in my opinion is when you edit graphics or movies, or if you want the portability of an MBA with a significantly higher performance and way more screen real estate.

Whether this machine is a good fit for you depends on your needs.

This is helpful because your specs are almost exactly the machine I'm planning on buying when the new chips come out, right down to getting a Thunderbolt display after I sell my old MBP. (Though I might opt for a slightly less sizable SSD.)

"if you want the portability of an MBA with a significantly higher performance and way more screen real estate."

Yep, that sounds like exactly what I want. I plan on doing more than using Safari, but in all honesty, the machine is definitely overkill. I'm fine with that, though - upgrading to SSD, retina display, and enough ram to handle whatever I could possibly throw at it is worth it. I'd rather have way too much machine than too little.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
That new high end 15in retina is the exact BTO I wanted, now it's stock, plus I get an edu discount.

Finding it really, really hard to wait for the new chips and/or form factor.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
I like how I am in the market for a new 15 inch rMBP to replace my 2010 model, and Apple does not want my money. "You can have brand new everything, better memory and better ports and new chips and thinness and trackpad revisions on everything but the high end models. Sorry!"

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!

Mercurius posted:

You realise this is because quad-core Broadwell CPUs aren't available, right? Apple kind of has to wait until Intel has the chips available before it can update the models can use them.

Fair enough I guess, they'll still make boatloads of money and could give a poo poo if I wait 6 months to upgrade or whatever. Just personally disappointed.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
I'm looking to buy the top rMBP 15 inch and I'm wondering if it's worth the money to go from 2.5 to 2.8 on the CPU. What kind of boost am I looking at? (As an aside, my current MBP is from mid 2010 so I tend to keep these machines a while.)

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
Welp. Tonight the top-shelf MBP I bought back in May 2015 decided to poo poo out on display and keyboard backlight. I can still use it through an external monitor, but it doesn't even detect the computer display.

Fruit stand on Thursday. Really looking forward to this loving bill. :suicide:

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
All I want is for the iMac to sell unbelievably well so that the next MBA/MBP refresh gets the fun colors and I can finally upgrade from the mid 2015 MBP, aka the best laptop Apple ever made.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!

coke posted:

you probably want the 'dated' look before they start slimming down the case and put in a tiny battery eg. cutting the 20+ hour battery life air to 10 hours

In all honesty I’d love a new MBA to replace my long suffering 2015 MBP, but I am holding out hope for a refresh using the new iMac color options…

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
I'm looking at doing a 16gb/512 on the 10 core GPU.

I like having lots of tabs open but not like 1000 at once. I don't ever forsee myself doing hollywood level effects but I lie to myself and pretend I'll eventually do some video editing and/or podcasting with this machine. Not going to game on this thing at all because lol mac.

I'm coming off a 2015 MBP w/16 gb and discreet graphics. I love this computer but I can't get OS updates anymore and it can barely hold a charge so welp.

Is there any world in which I need 24gb of ram?

Is this a good computer for my use case?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
The smaller bezels, midnight color, the size and weight were all big factors for me. I can't explain it exactly but the M2 Air feels so drat expensive. Granted it *is* expensive especially if you go for anything over the base model like I did, but this is a really nice computer that, IMO, "feels" nicer than the MBPs because they're still using the same old hardware design despite the tech.

I get the impression that if you're not making Hollywood movies in 4-8k and a bunch of advanced post processing/CGI, you don't need the pro? Like you can do editing just fine but you're not going to make, say, The Avengers.

That said I would really like to know how the thermal pad mod works out. Could you use it as a laptop as long as you're not doing any heavy load? Like, could you do normal workaday stuff on your lap and just put it on the desk if you need to render or whatever? Or will it be hot as the surface of the sun all the time if you do the mod?