Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

Phillipians 1:21

jfreder posted:

I missed that part of the OP originally, but the monoprice link does mention that the mini DP to HDMI passes audio. This isn't the case, though?

I have a monoprice hdmi adapter and it passes audio perfectly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

flyboi posted:

Seriously am I the only one that gets poo poo like this on external displays?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ii8RLpFaneU

Happened with my Hackintosh, Mac Pro and now iMac.

I never had this issue on my 2011 mbp until last night when my external display started acting wonky and doing this. It seems like it only does it when my mbp display Is closed and I'm using an external as the primary display.

It was pretty annoying, I hope a recent update didn't break this for me.

I am using a mini-dp to hdmi adapter as well.

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

flyboi posted:

Just going to warn you, but the 3rd party adapters are very hit-and-miss with the 2011 line of macs. My iMac would have random static on displays and my plasma wanted nothing to do with my MBP.

I've had an monoprice adapter show the same effects on my 2011 MBP and after contacting them it turned out to be a bad adapter and I was sent a new one that worked fine.

Maybe you got a bad one too?

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

Destroyenator posted:

Also:
That's some weird maths apple.

I don't understand? 2-3 weeks to ship and then some shipping time before its delivered?

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

I'm also looking to add a ssd to my 2011 15" mbp in the optical drive bay. I've read good reviews on the M4, but I've also seen intermittent reports of people having trouble with the sleep mode after this change was made. Does anyone know what actually causes this issue and how to avoid it? I want to keep my hard drive in the original location for the motion sensor, but I've also read that sometimes this might cause an issue when using the ssd as the boot drive.

I would love to hear from anyone who has done this modification and how it turned out!

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

gmq posted:

I have 249 cycles and my battery is at 82%. :smithicide:

I had the battery on my 2011 mbp completely die after 110 cycles. I tried to get apple to replace it for free but I ended up having to do the $129 battery replacement. It seems like my case was a bizarre exception but now I'm permanently skeptical of apples battery life claims.

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

Just curious - what was your usage pattern like?

I mostly had the laptop plugged in, but I did use on battery occasionally, maybe once a week or so on average. One day I got a service battery warning, and within a week the battery held no charge at all. I tried arguing the point with both the apple store and phone support that the battery was supposed to last 1000 cycles and only made it to 110 but I ended up still having to pay.

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

What would no clickable trackpad mean? A touchscreen?

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

Do you get off at getting angry in Mac threads or something?

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

Now I'm scared my 2011 Mbp is going to die right after the recall is over

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

empty baggie posted:

Take it into an Apple store or AASP and have them run the video test on it. If it fails, you get a new logic board. If it passes, you wouldn't have gotten a replacement anyway.

I'll give that a shot.. Maybe I misunderstood the program, but I thought it was a replacement for laptops currently exhibiting issues, and mine has not. However, if posters in this thread are to be believed the gpu is eventually going to die? I don't do anything gaming related but I do use plex quite a bit and I'm not sure if that uses the cpu or gpu when streaming.

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

I have an early 2011 15-inch MacBook Pro which has started to make a pretty weird noise when starting up (and other times as well). It sounds kind of like old dial up modem tones and hissing coming from inside the machine. Maybe it was just a coincidence, but it also made the sound after I got the computer on and had network activity, but it eventually stopped. I reached out to Apple and they said due to the age of the computer I would have to go to a third party provider for support, but I’m curious if anyone here has heard of or seen this issue before. I’ve done a couple searches and found some people who might have had a similar problem before, but due to the nature of the sound it is making its hard to tell or search for.

Edit: the noise seems to be coming from the back left side of the computer, near where the MagSafe/Ethernet/thunderbolt ports are

mike- fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Dec 1, 2017

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

Has anyone had any luck with disabling the discrete GPU in an early 2011 MacBook Pro 15”?

I’ve seen a software and hardware fix on realmacmods.com, but it also seems like this might be a little sketchy. There is no way I’m going to go in and solder or desolder resistors on the board, so if I use them for the hardware fix I’d be sending it in.

Is there any point to this? I really only want to use this machine as a Plex server so I’m hoping I can salvage this to work with the internal gpu only.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

Grimmeh posted:

Wow - thank you for posting this! My 2011 MacBook Pro is back in action via 3 little commands!

I’m glad this worked for you. I took a look at the instructions on my phone and had no idea what was going on, but I’m going to give it a shot over the weekend to see if I can get mine working.