Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
How long does it usually take for Apple to include the recent MBP's to be on the refurbished page?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I'm looking to buy the newest 15" MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz laptop but refurbished. Anyone have any idea when it'll be up? Or has it been, but it's just sold out at the moment?

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

It takes a few months. Use refurb-tracker.com.

Ah perfect, thank you.

Now I guess I have to decide whether to purchase a brand new MBP 15" at $2199 with a $200 educational discount that comes with the cheaper AppleCare and $100 iTunes Gift Card and NO TAX....

OR

Wait for the refurbished model, pay tax, pay full price for AppleCare, and not receive a $100 iTunes Gift Card.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
My mom has a two year old Mac Mini that she claims is starting to act up. I was playing around in Chrome / Safari on her computer last night and I noticed that when you try to move the window around it starts to flicker. Also, some of the images on the browser starts flickering even when the mouse is not being touched. Could this be a hardware issue? She still has one year left on her AppleCare warranty.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
If I bought a MB + AppleCare in the US but take it with me to school in Europe, will Apple honor it while abroad?

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I'm in the market to buy a new MBP but I am planning on waiting until the new models are released. I have read rumors that more than likely they will be announced during WWDC in June 2016. My question is, in the past, how fast has Apple had the new laptops for sale after the announcement?

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

I Am Crake posted:

I'm in the same boat. MacRumors speculates March or June. I believe the Retina Macbook was available almost instantly after they announced it. Take what I say with a grain of salt though, all of this information comes with words like "potentially, likely, may be planning to". Check out what they have to say at:
http://www.macrumors.com/roundup/macbook-pro/

Awesome, well I hope I can grab a 13" RMBP by July at the latest.... My mid-2009 MBP is still going strong but I really want to upgrade!

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Going back to school in September so hoping that the new rMBP's come out before end of July!

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
If I purchase an external HD to backup my MBP by using Time Machine, will I still be able to use that external to backup other miscellaneous files if I choose to do so or will it be strictly locked to Time Machine backups only?

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Good call. Apple aims to make their refurbs practically indistinguishable from new machines both physically and in terms of warranty and coverage.

My 2009 MBP was refurbished and it's still going strong.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

Hed posted:

Current update was a little :effort: for what I want. I'd like to replace my 2013 MBA with something that is retina but 13". The 12" MacBook, for me, isn't that great of an option because I feel the jump to 13" is really big. Hopefully something needs suiting comes in June or I'll look back at the PC world I guess.

I'm in the same boat as you.... Hopefully Apple does not disappoint come June during their conference.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
So let's say that the new rMBP gets announced during the WWDC 2016 on June 13th ~ 17th - based off past MBP releases, when do you think that they will be available for sale to the public? Is it usually instant or will there be a release date for some time in the future?

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

Housh posted:

Thanks for the tips guys. Gonna go with an iPad air 2. Has anyone gotten a refurb from apple? I figure with the money I save I can get more storage space or a swanky smart case.

My 2009 MBP was a refurb and still going strong.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Currently still working with a 2009 15 inch MBP and wondering if I should go for the more portable 13" rMBP or the 15" rMBP when it comes out. Has anyone who used a 15" went down to the 13" and been satisfied with the less screen real estate?

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

Phone posted:

The girlfriend is looking at getting a laptop soonish and is eyeing a 2015 MBP of some sort. Macrumors says that a new model is around the corner, but it's Apple and Macrumors, so... ???

I take it that the refresh is going to be new Intel SKUs, a slightly different chassis, and a few new ports (USB C, etc)? No real good reason to not just pick up the nicest refurbished model she can afford?

Tom Hanks you.

new rMBP's are supposed to be announced during WWDC that runs between June 13th - 16th I believe. I would honestly wait - supposed to be a pretty big refresh.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

Phone posted:

A 1080p FaceTime camera doesn't count as a major refresh. :v:

bro its 1080p

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I guess I can wait until end of September for a new rMBP to replace my mid-2009 MBP.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I have a mid-2009 MBP that I want to install an SSD in. I've looked at some guides online but I just want to confirm that it's easy as:

1) Externally plugging in the new SSD and copying the HD image over (Any recommendation on software I should use for this?)
2) Installing the new SSD into the MBP

The two SSD's that I've looked at are the following and I'm wondering why there is such a big difference between the price. I will more than likely just go with the cheaper Crucial one unless anyone here has any suggestions.

Crucial BX200 240GB SATA 2.5 Inch Internal Solid State Drive - $64.99 - https://www.amazon.com/Crucial-BX20...n%3A14027458011

Samsung 850 EVO - 250GB - 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD - $93.77 - https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-850-...n%3A14027458011

I also would need to buy a USB - SATA cable like this, correct? - https://www.amazon.com/Lumsing-Speed-Adapter-Cable-22Pin/dp/B01440BTS8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1466810790&sr=8-2&keywords=ssd+cable+usb

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

Viper_3000 posted:

I actually just did this with my girlfriend's machine using that same cable, a 1TB Samsung 850 EVO and the free trial of carbon copy cloner. Super easy to do.

Also get the 850 EVO. It's the standard recommendation for a reason.

Good to know, thank you.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I received my 250 GB SSD today and I ran Carbon Copy Cloner to clone my HD to my new SSD. Upon completion, it shows my new SSD has 80 GB free while my old HD has 50 GB free. Both HD's are the same size. Did I do something wrong?

I was able to boot fine from the SSD but wasn't comfortable continuing with that drive so I just erased the SSD again and trying it again with the SuperDuper app. I assume something went wrong or I chose a different option on the Carbon Copy Cleaner.

Busy Bee fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Jun 30, 2016

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
So I went ahead and used the SuperDuper clone tool instead - here's a picture comparing the two drives after it was done.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

Pivo posted:

If it boots fine and all of your stuff is there, I would just say "yay, space savings". OS X accumulates a lot of cruft sometimes. There's all the metadata it throws everywhere, there are folders it keeps for old data just in case, LOGS - SO MANY LOGS, and surely an OS X compatible application wouldn't copy over your Trash and other things like that.

Boot it. See if it's all there. I'm quite certain you will find it, in usage, to be identical.

Yeah everything works fine and everything seems to be there. Seems like I'm missing a decent amount of movie files.... I did delete a few movie files before I cloned the HD though. Regardless, nothing really important there anyway. I plan to hold onto this MBP until the new ones come out.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
edit

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Speaking of refurbished Mac models - how long does it usually take for Apple to post the latest model in refurbished form after it's released? At least a few months I'm guessing?

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Has Apple changed the size of the MBP keyboards at all since the mid-2009 model? I want to buy one of the cheap silicone keyboard covers off of eBay but I'm wondering if it will still fit my old model?

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

NESguerilla posted:

The right side of my touchpad on my old (2010?) MBP has been acting really funky. Everything works, but I cant really click from the right side anymore without really jamming on it, which is annoying since its the side I use most. Is it probably just failing at this point or is there something I can do? Physically it feels fine it just doesn't work very well all of a sudden. The touch part works fine.

I feel like mine is giving out too. The right side kind of feels like there's sand or something gritty stuck in it. I might replace it - only $30 or so for the trackpad.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Sometimes I can hear my mid-2009 MBP's fan start going like it's booting up even though the computer *should* be in stand by and the laptop is closed. Anyone know what might be causing this and is there a way that I can diagnose it?

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Has anyone had luck with removing their MBP trackpack and cleaning it to fix any issues? Sometimes I double click on my 2009 MBP trackpad and it doesn't register or it'll make a noise like there's something small stuck in there.

Busy Bee fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jul 14, 2016

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

well why not posted:

I know people using 2009 - 2010 MBPs and Airs as their fulltime machines. If you're a light user (and lucky) then it's totally still viable. Doubly so if you popped in an SSD to a pro.

I'm still using my original mid-2009 MBP that I purchased through the refurbished section on Apple's website. I replaced the ram the day I got it but just recently replaced the HD to SSD. I also have El Capitan with no problem. The only problem I've ever experienced with this laptop is the CD drive stopped working about 3 years in but besides that, it works perfectly. I'm honestly amazed at how long it's lasted. Especially after I installed the SSD it's like it's a brand new laptop.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Will this Euro adapter for my MBP charger be safe to use? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Travel-Euro...NAAAOSw65FXsyUO

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I moved into an apartment where WiFi is included. I've been using my 2009 MBP and I always have issues with the WiFi staying connected. I always have to have Network Diagnostics up to get my connection back. At first I thought it was the router / crappy internet that my landlord has but after the internet went out on my 2009 MBP, I noticed that I'm still able to use the WiFi on my phone and on my friends laptop. Could it possibly be an issue with the WiFi card on my old laptop? If so, are there any updates I can install?

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Looking to upgrade my mid-2009 MBP 15 inch battery. I looked on Amazon and it seems like Anker does not sell the A1321 model battery replacement anymore. What would you guys recommend? I see a few ones on eBay that are titled to be "Genuine" but not sure if it's trustworthy.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

Seems fairly expensive at $119... was hoping to find one for around $40 - $60

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

You can buy one of those on Amazon but it will only last 2-3 hours and might not last any more than a half an hour a year down the road.

How long do you expect this NewerTech battery to last in my 15" mid-2009 MBP? It's hard to justify spending $100+ on a 8 year old laptop but I guess I might as well. It's still going strong surprisingly - I changed the old HD to SSD last year and it's like a brand new machine.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I just replaced the battery on my mid-2009 15 inch MBP and I'm still amazed that an 8 year old machine can still perform well. The CD player broke a few years ago but everything else still works great. I've replaced the SSD, RAM and battery so far. Anything else I should replace to keep it going for another year or so?

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

Platystemon posted:

I don’t know how you haven’t already replaced the fans multiple times.

Not sure, the fan seems to be working fine.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

Platystemon posted:

I don’t know how you haven’t already replaced the fans multiple times.

Speaking of fans, what's the average RPM for a mid-2009 15 inch MBP fan to be at? Mine is always stable at around 2000 RPM, is that normal?

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Recently I have been traveling more with my mid-2009 15 inch MBP. Whenever I travel I just take my one large backpack and try to efficiently pack everything I need so sometimes my bag is pretty full and puts pressure on my laptop. Sometimes when I open my laptop there's a circle in the middle of the screen from the pressure. Do you guys I suggest I buy one of those hard plastic cases for my laptop?

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

Cyrano4747 posted:

I'd also look into getting a bag that has a padded compartment specifically for the laptop. That can help prevent pressure issues. They aren't super cheap, but most of them will also work with different sized laptops so you don't need to get a new bag every time you get a new computer.

I do have a padded laptop compartment but since my bag is usually full it still puts some pressure on my laptop.... so with that I'm thinking maybe a hard case is the best option?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
If I buy a Macbook Air in the US with a Japanese keyboard vs just buying a Macbook Air in Japan - there's not much difference between the two, correct? My understanding is that even the power adapter is still the same between the two.