Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Carrying over discussion from the other thread about the new Cinema Display.

So if I wanted to hook up my 2008 Mac Pro to it, I would just need to get a Thunderbolt to DVI connector, correct?

I find it weird that if there are currently no Mac Pros out there that support the Thunderbolt Cinema Display that they show it next to a Mac Pro on the product page: http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC914LL/A?fnode=MTY1NDA5OQ&mco=MjMzOTYzMjc&s=topSellers

Click Enlarge Image, then there are photos of the display next to all the Macs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Phiberoptik posted:

Does anyone know if its possible to use the new cinema display on a PC or older mac that doesn't have thunderbolt?

I've sort of had some clarification on this, but nothing is confirmed since the new display is not even out yet.

To clarify, they appear to be still selling the older "Cinema Display" for $1000, and this new "Thunderbolt Display" along side it. I would assume you could get a Thunderbolt to ____ adaptor and it would work fine as a monitor, but you are not going to be able to use any of the connections on the Thunderbolt Display because it all connects through the Thunderbolt Cable.

Meanwhile, they still sell the Cinema Display which has three cables coming out of it for MagSafe, Mini Display, and USB, and then you can still plug that USB cord into any computer to take advantage of the three ports on the back. But you'll still need to buy a Mini Display to ____ adaptor to get it to work

The 4 listed in the OP should do the trick
Mini-DP / Thunderbolt to VGA
Mini-DP / Thunderbolt to DVI
Mini-DP / Thunderbolt to HDMI
Mini-DP / Thunderbolt to DP

So I'm sort of in the same boat... I'm trying to weight the option of getting the Cinema Display now and be able to actually use the USB ports on the back. Or get a Thunderbolt display and future proof myself for when I eventually someday get a computer that supports it.

Edit: So the other day I pointed out that on the Thunderbolt Display page they show the MacPro next to the display in the photos, even though it's impossible to connect a Thunderbolt Display to a current generation MacPro properly since none of them support Thunderbolt with noway to add them. Well... since then they've taken down that image. I guess that clarifies that.

Astro7x fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jul 22, 2011

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Cross posting from the Monitor thread

I want to start using my Apple LED Cinema Display with my 2008 Mac Pro, the problem is that my Mac Pro doesn't have a mini display port. What are my options? I'm guessing I could either upgrade the graphics card, or get some sort of converter box that will allow it to connect. But I'm guessing I'd need a graphics card to use the built in camera, correct?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

~Coxy posted:

Is your display the MDP one or the ThunderBolt one?

If the latter, then yeah you would need a video card with Thunderbolt of which 0 currently exist.
If the former, then there is a USB cable for the speakers/hub/camera. You would need an active MDP converter like the Kanex XD for the video. http://www.kanexlive.com/xd

edit: the Kanex XD only supports up to 1920x1200.
You want the http://www.kanexlive.com/c247dl

Obviously you have to weigh the potential usefulness of the adaptor versus the opportunity cost of just getting a new, better GPU with that $150.

It's a 27 Inch Cinema Display, not a Thunderbolt Display.

Yeah, looking like a converter might be the easiest way to do it. Though the one you linked to doesn't support the 27 Inch model. Some googling has led me to the AT-DP400 which looks like it will do it. Amazon reviews even mention that it works with the iSight camera too if the USB cord is plugged in.

Ideally I'd love to have an all in one solution so that I can use my PS3 on it as well.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Binary Badger posted:

I have installed and bought several of these for clients who had an older DVI/VGA aluminum iMac to hook up to a Displayport display and it works smashingly. It is way better than the other units I've tried in that it gets its power from the USB port so there's no additional wall wart to worry about.

Thanks for the recommendation! I'm putting in the order for it now. I don't see any other alternatives out there... plus it looks like with an HDMI to DVI cable I can pretty much use my Cinema Display as a TV too.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Edit: guess this doesn't really belong in the Hardware thread

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
So any tips for cleaning an aluminum Mac Keyboard? Soda got spilled all over it, and I can't figure out how to remove the keys without breaking them to give it a good cleaning.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

shrughes posted:

Apple keyboards are $49 or $69. Are you sure you don't just wan to buy a new one? The last time I tried cleaning a laptop keyboard after a soda spill, it was tedious enough and the end result had its quality compromised enough that now I'd just buy a new keyboard at those prices.

You can do it with a toothpick. There are videos on YouTube such as this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCpf5xqiK4I

I bet you end up breaking one of the scissor switches, though.

Yeah, I might end up just buying a new one. But I'm cheap, and if I can fix it I will. But looking at all these videos I can't figure out how to snap off the keys like an old keyboard.

I miss the days when you could just put the entire keyboard in the dishwasher...

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
When new Macs are released, how soon are they usually available on Amazon? Same day?

I have a ton of Amazon Gift Credit sitting around, and now the wife needs a new laptop, so I'd love to just buy it on there ASAP if they are announced on Monday.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
The wife needs a new computer, so we went to the Apple store today so she could decide what size Macbook Air we should get her after the updates next week.... Overheard one of the Apple Store employees saying "I just sold a guy a $2,500 computer, he's going to be so pissed on Monday."

As a joke I left Mac Rumors up on one of the laptops we were looking at and saw a staff member come up and change it. So do they even tell the employees anything, or are they internally left in the dark like the rest of us?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Noticed they are now taking presales for the new MacBooks on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.ht...i=macbook%20air

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.ht...i=MacBook%20Pro

How long until Amazon starts shipping do you think? I'd much rather buy from Amazon and save myself the sales tax.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
What you see is what you get on those. Just decided to order a 13 inch MacBook Air for my wife from Amazon. Figured the $160 I'd save in sales tax would make it worth the wait even if it comes in two weeks. I would have loved to put more RAM in it for her, but not for basically $260 to buy it through Apple...

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

blastron posted:

Ugh, the Mac Pro "upgrade" was not at all what I was hoping for.

Apparently Apple thinks the same way and took the little "new" notifier off the Mac Pro on their store page.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

ptier posted:

Hah! I think people who really needed an Mac Pro update are pretty pissed about that one. But then again, Tim Cook pretty much stated that the Mac Pro will have a proper soon and that the new procs were because Intel killed the older ones.

http://9to5mac.com/2012/06/12/andy-hertzfeld-the-only-thing-thats-still-high-end-about-mac-pro-is-the-bloated-price/

What's the big deal about updating the MacPro though? We're not asking for a redesign of the casing, or a smaller form factor. Why do people need to wait 3+ years for USB 3.0 and Thunderbolt? I think it's ridiculous that Apple sells Thunderbolt displays but you can't use them with their high end Mac Pro. While I'm personally not in the market for a Mac Pro (January 2008 model still going strong!) at work we could use a new workstation and it feels stupid to buy 2 year old technology.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

ptier posted:

Same reason why they had to take people off of OSX to make iOS 3. Effort and resources. It doesn't make very much money for them so there are not many resources working on redesigning the product would be my guess.

And it probably doesn't give Jony Ive a boner. :dong:

I guess you're right, if there is not enough to make a video about the update backed by Florance and the Machine or Coldplay, then it's not really worth updating yet.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Qaz Kwaz posted:

"Pulled the trigger" on the bumped up Macbook Air. I was hoping for Retina, but I'm guessing that's coming early next year. On the plus side I called in and got 8% off, a free Magic Mouse, and free expedited shipping. Weeeeeeee

UPDATE: My credit card that I used to order this stuff over the phone just experienced fraudulent charges. What suspicious timing. Thanks, Apple.

I got a fraudulent charge alert from Apple one time when ordering a photo book off of Aperture. But to be fair, it was a $400 purchase that I was making at 3am I guess.... but I had to call the bank and have them put the charge through when I resubmitted it.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Bob Morales posted:

Someone posted this:

(click for big)

Basically iPad 2 vs new iPad

So does this mean that anything that doesn't' support Apple's text rendering or retina graphics is going to be scaled up and look blurry as poo poo?

Because I can go into Word right now and blow up some text 300% and it still looks crisp.

And similar to retina display iOS Apps, does this mean that all programs are also going to be bloated with retina graphics even if my computer can't take advantage of them? I know it's not that big of an issue on a Mac because you have a huge hard drive, but I noticed App sizes increasing on iOS as the retina display support became possible.

Astro7x fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jun 14, 2012

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
So Amazon's inventory of the new MacBooks seem to be a mixed bag right now. I don't quite understand it...

11'' Air w/ 64GB HD - In Stock, Sold by Amazon, 2 left.
11" Air w/ 128GB HD - In Stock, Sold by J&R so not Prime Eligible.
13" Air w/ 128GB HD - Pre-order only, to be fulfilled by Amazon
13" Air w/ 256GB HD - Pre-order only, to be fulfilled by Amazon

MBP:TNG - All models are "Temporarily Out of Stock"

13.3" Pro w/ 500GB HD - In Stock, Sold by J&R so not Prime Eligible.
13.3" Pro w/ 750GB HD - Pre-order only, to be fulfilled by Amazon
15.4" Pro w/ 500GB HD - Pre-order only, to be fulfilled by Amazon
15.4" Pro w/ 750GB HD - In Stock, Sold by J&R so not Prime Eligible.

Just hoping my 13" 256GB Air doesn't take 1 month to arrive...

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Digital_Jesus posted:

Good thing bootcamp can do it for you! :science: Just run bootcamp and follow the prompts!

Will Bootcamp partition a hard drive with data already on it? Or will it wipe the whole thing clean when it partitions? It's been quite awhile since I did a partition, and last time I did I had to format the entire drive.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Oneiros posted:

Boot Camp Assistant non-destructively shrinks your current boot volume to make room for a Windows partition. Backing up is still highly advised, though.

That's cool... I've been meaning to get Windows on my Mac for awhile now, this info helps

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Come on Amazon, send me my Macbook Air!

The other two models are in stock and shipping now...

echobucket posted:

I also realized long ago that Macs have great resale value. So from now on, I'm just going to make sure I buy the most ram and hard drive space I can on a new machine, along with applecare. Then when it's time to "upgrade", I'll sell it and buy a new one.

This is a great idea actually... usually I don't sell my old computers but this is so true with Apple stuff. Apple products are so easy to compare too which is what I think helps them in terms of resale value. If I saw some HP laptop for sale I'd have no idea how good it is based on the name and model, and even then, there is no benchmark with what is good by todays standards unless you start breaking down every component that is in the thing. .

Astro7x fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jun 15, 2012

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

flyboi posted:

I'm selling my 2011 MBP to my friend, it's a 2.2GHz I7 early 2011 model with 16gb ram, 1GB radeon 6950, high res matte display, expired apple care and a 128GB SSD. I'm selling it to him for $1300.

Am I underpricing that too much? I pretty much thought "Don't really care, just want to cover the cost of my new MBA"

Try using http://www.mac2sell.net/ to see what the average going price should be.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Thoom posted:

There's not a whole lot else you can look at on a display model at the Fruit Stand.

Final Cut Pro X?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
It's been almost a drat week and Amazon still hasn't gotten any of the 13 inch Airs in!

And incase you are wondering why I am so instant on ordering through Amazon, this is from when I preordered it on Tuesday.

And it looks like my Imgur link isn't working. Basically $1400 in Amazon Gift Cards to spend!

Astro7x fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jun 17, 2012

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Finally! My 13 inch Macbook Air has shipped from Amazon!

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I am digging the new Mac Pro.

I'm a professional, but I wouldn't have 5 external hard drives on my desk. I'd be connected to a Raid over gigabit ethernet, I don't need the storage in the machine.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Have a 2008 Mac Pro, I THINK my main hard drive is failing (using all 4 slots right now, with one drive being a Time Machine drive that backs up the other 3). Is this a good plan of action?

-Clone my start up drive to a 500GB External Lacie Rugged FW800 drive that I have. Use this as a boot drive, see if I am still having issues.
-If the computer runs fine with another drive as the start up drive, ditch the current start up drive and replace it with a 500GB SSD

What is the best way of installing a SSD in my Mac Pro? I was considering just getting one of those $20 Icy Dock enclosure things. And is there anything special I need to do to get a SSD running as my primary start up drive? I am so used to SATA drives where I just plug it in and format.

And then finally, if I do swap out the hard drive, is there any harm in booting with the external, upgrading the OS to Mavericks (currently on Snow Lion), and giving that a try to see if there is any problems? And if it is not running well, just change the boot drive back to the internal one?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
The MacBook Airs are getting a Ram boost from 4GB Default to 8GB Default.

The price of the 2015 MacBook Air on the refurb store also dropped by $100 today. Wouldn't t surprise me if the refreshed MacBook Air also drops by $100 since all they did was a Ram boost.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

flosofl posted:

I don't even care about the out of pocket costs, but energy aside, CFLs suck. Even the "soft-white" ones. Quality LEDs rock however, and I just spent about $300 replacing EVERY SINGLE light in and on my home with LED lights. I have a surprisingly large number of recessed lights, so it was probably a bit more expensive than most people would spend. But like I said I don't care how much, it's worth it to not have to worry about replacing them for many, many years.

I replaced almost all of the lightbulbs in my home with LEDs that CostCo had with an instant rebate from our local electric company. I saw a significant decrease in my electric bills after doing so. 6 recessed lights in the kitchen, another 6 in the den, 5 lights in the dining room... they all add up quickly.

That said, I had to returns several LEDs back to CostCo because they started flickering after they were in use for a while. Maybe only after a month or two, some longer than that. I couldn't imagine the hassle I'd have to jump through to replace them if I didn't get them through CostCo. I even tried contacting the manufacturer and they never responded to me at all. Even though it says to call them about replacing defective bulbs.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
That FCP functionality looks really cool as an editor, but FCPX is complete poo poo.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

nerdz posted:

lmao this is Wii music all over again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kw_Bd-13YCk

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

howe_sam posted:

Two different versions of MacBook Pro won't be confusing at all

What is so hard about "That one has a touch bar, that one doesn't"?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

SourKraut posted:

My fear is when this sells poorly they'll say "See, nobody wants a Pro-focused workstation system!" and then cancel the new new Mac Pro.

To be fair, why do I want to drop at least 5K on an iMac when they said that a new expandable Mac Pro is coming?

We are almost at the point of needing to upgrade hardware, but we can live with it another 1 1/2 years and just get whatever new Mac Pro is coming out.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
So I'm a video editor. I have an iMac Pro at work and one of those fancy $43,000 OLED broadcast monitors they mentioned. But I still have and use my 2008 Mac Pro at home. I work from home some times just to avoid a trip to the office, but also do personal projects at home. The computer has been getting me by just fine so far.

Anyway, I spent $3,000 on my 2008 Mac Pro, plus $1,000 for the LED Apple Cinema Display. Over the years I have gradually added more RAM, a SSD for my primary boot drive, a USB 3.0 card, plenty of internal hard drive upgrades, and an Nvidia GFX card that I swap in occasionally for some projects (it makes the whole thing incredibly unstable). The ability to easily make all these changes has helped my computer last 11 years, making it the best computer purchase I have ever made. I think my wife has spent more on laptops over the years than I have on my whole setup.

All this stuff they announced pretty much hit all the right notes. Like it was time to make an upgrade to a computer that was going to get me through the next 12 years. I'm stuck in El Capitan, Adobe CC is no longer compatible with my OS as of this year to have the latest software, and I'm starting to see software that is not compatible either.

But that price tag... starting at $6,000? Without a monitor? I am a professional, but this is like.... Ultra Professional. I was hoping for a starting configuration to be $3,000 to $4,000. I know that I am not the type of professional that needs to see instant color corrections to 8K footage in motion and to have things render instantly. But I was hoping for a modular Mac that was for a semi-pro kind of. Something like what I had that let me gradually make upgrades over time to keep it running and make me happy.

I've been waiting for this announcement to decide what I want to do with my hardware at home, now I don't know what I want to do. Nothing else is modular, and the iMac Pro even seems a bit overkill for what I do at home. I can be a patient man for renders when it comes to personal projects, which is the one place where I love the iMac Pro at work.

I am honestly wondering if I should just get a Mac Mini and stick all my hard drives in an external chassis, throw my LED Cinema Display on it, and move on from this hellscape of waiting on Mac hardware updates. I just need to realize that I'll feel the need to replace it in 4-5 years probably

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Microcenter was offering $1,000 off the base $5,000 iMac Pro at one point, and it was very tempting...

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Pivo posted:

The original cheesegrater had a mid-range model that sold for $2499, per Wikipedia. In 2006 dollars, that's ~3100 today. So the new Mac Pro starts at twice that. I wonder if the $6k base model price is missing the point of an upgradeable computer a bit.

I guess that was my whole point. There is no middle ground here. Going back to my personal experience, was hoping for a computer I could upgrade over time rather than just start out with something that is overkill. Guess that means what I really want is a PC that runs MacOS

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

EL BROMANCE posted:

It feels like the iMac Pro or an upgraded Mac Mini are the replacements for the entry level Mac Pro, and why it’s now priced higher. Anyone who balks at the cost probably isn’t in the marker for one.

Maybe all I want is a Mac Mini that has room to put in more RAM (not replace the existing sticks in it), and one more slot for another SSD.... it's too much to ask, I know

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
If there is one thing that I think we can all admit... it's an loving incredibly awesome stand. It attaches the screen to the stand with a magnet and holds the whole weight of the monitor. Nevermind the fact that I've only taken my monitor off the stand once. It's just a completely unnecessary Apple way of doing things.

That said, I can't wait for the same concept to be copied by another company for a fraction of the price.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
If the monitor attaches to the stand with a magnet, wouldn't it be some special plate with a big magnet in it that attaches to the VESA arm, so the monitor still attaches with a magnet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Here is a question....

What would people say the Mac Pro 2013 Trash Can is worth these days now that we know the new one is coming out? Especially when you consider a 2018 Mac Mini is $1,200 if you want to match the minimum 16GB of RAM and 256GB of SSD Storage.

Is it just stupid to even think about snagging one of those due to how hosed up it is?