Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

ndrake posted:

Thanks, that actually looks like a nice solution. As to the easiness of picking - I just need a visual deterrent. The same people who would steal my cell phone and then sign me up for spanish hip hop ringtone subscription (which never failed to entertain when they were delivered a month later on my new phone) are not going to take the time to figure out how to pick that lock on a computer in a work room.

I doubt that would work with the Air. There is no clearance. Also notice how there is no front view of those product shots. Probably because there is some hunk of metal protruding from the gap between the screen and the base, scratching the finish off your Macbook Air logo. I looked for locking solutions last year when the new Air came out and I came up empty. The only thing I can think of is some kind of "noose" that slips around the screen and tightens around the base. There is about ~1" of space that has a gap between the screen and the base on each side. The rest of the the length of the machine has is a very snug hinge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Thunderbolt port on the new MBAs looks like the same shape as the display port on the old MBAs. Does that mean that VGA/DVI connectors made for the 2010 MBA can plug into the Thunderbolt port on the new MBA?

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

beefnoodle posted:

Yes. I'm using one now. In fact, it's not MBA-specific. I bought this one for a 2009 MBP.

That's good to know; thanks.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm selling a MBA on Craigslist. One potential buy sounds legitimate, but is asking for the serial number so they can look up the details. Is that safe to give out to a stranger?

I did not see this in the OP, but is there anything else I need to do to sell a Mac without getting myself murdered? I re-installed Lion from scratch. I had to enter my iTunes ID to install, so I created a new admin account, then securely erased my original home directory.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
I have a charger that... no longer charges. Do you think this is something Apple will replace for free if I take it in?

It's my spare MBA charger, either taken from or ordered for the 2010 MBA. When I upgraded to the 2011 MBA, I kept that charger so I would have an extra. Since then, I've mixed up which charger was the original, which was the extra I bought, and which was the one that came with new MBA. All I know is that one of them no longer charges my MBA. The orange light never comes on, and the OSX battery indicator does not switch to indicate something is plugged in. I've tried other outlets with no success. My other charger works fine.

Like I said, this is my backup charger, so it's not a big deal. If it's something Apple might replace for free, then I'll schedule an appointment with the Genius Bar. It's a little out of my way, though, so I thought I would ask in here first.