Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karsh
Dec 22, 2004

this is my destiny
Plaster Town Cop

Kilometers Davis posted:

Does anyone have an entire computing setup of Air + iPad? I'm considering it but it kind of makes me feel like they would overlap too much.

I have a PC desktop and an Air. I bought an iPad and returned it within a week because I found that I never used it, especially considering I also own an iPhone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karsh
Dec 22, 2004

this is my destiny
Plaster Town Cop

Kilometers Davis posted:

Just to get this out of my system, I just bought a high end 27" iMac and holy gently caress best computer ever.

Anyway, I have a small line/scratch/thing between the glass and the actual display. It almost looks like there's something stuck in there. Has anyone seen something like that?

Exchange it. It's probably going to drive you crazy now that you know it's there.

It's definitely not common but I've heard of it happening before.

Karsh
Dec 22, 2004

this is my destiny
Plaster Town Cop

Corbet posted:

What time of networking protocol does the Airport Extreme use when sharing a USB attached drive to a windows device? Will I be able to access a HFS+ formatted drive from a Windows based computer? Does the drive format matter?

From my experience, the drive needs to be formatted as something readable by Macs e.g. HFS+ or exFAT. Windows PCs can connect to them as long as you have Airport Utility installed.

Karsh
Dec 22, 2004

this is my destiny
Plaster Town Cop

computer parts posted:

It's not really hardware, but I'm looking for a backpack for my 15" Macbook Pro, and I found one, but it says it's made more for 17" laptops; Would that be good for my laptop or would it be too loose?

Most backpacks have an elastic strap that you can tighten so that your laptop doesn't bounce around. It'll probably be loose, but if you want to keep your Macbook in a sleeve, you might want that wiggle room.

Karsh
Dec 22, 2004

this is my destiny
Plaster Town Cop

zenthursdays posted:

So I intend to order a MacBook Pro next week and wanted to make sure I've got all of this right since I've never owned a Mac computer before. I'm eyeing the 17" for all of that beautiful screen real estate. I've read a ton of good stuff about OWC memory products, so I'm looking to order an 8GB RAM kit and one of their SSDs along with the Data Doubler kit (here) and an external enclosure for the optical drive.

I'm wondering if this is how I'd go about setting everything up. My goals are for the OS/applications to be installed onto the SSD and to have the HDD show up as a separate storage/backup volume. I'd also like the SSD to sit in the 'main' position and for the HDD to sit where the optical drive used to be (I have OCD or something, I don't know).

-Create an OSX Lion installation disc as outlined in OP of software thread (I read something about no Lion CDs and having to buy a thumbstick with the software)
-Replace HDD with SSD
-Replace optical drive with HDD
-Pop in installation disc and power up

Or do I need to do some type of formatting before OSX installation? Windows and Linux installation discs I've used allow you to format/partition and select the target drive for the OS so I assume that is the case with OSX.

Also, am I able to reconfigure the thing as it was shipped to take advantage of Apple Care, or is there some way they can tell I've opened the case and I'm SOL?

Thanks for any help. :)

You can get away with any RAM. I'd recommend just getting these. The Data Doubler is alright, but there are cheaper options as well. Same goes for the SSD--I'd recommend Intel and Crucial SSDs right now.

The easiest way to set it up (at least, it's the way I did mine) would be to get throw the SSD into an enclosure/dock. Connect it to the new Macbook, format it to HFS+ and name it something recognizable, then use CarbonCopyCloner to clone the stock Lion install over to the SSD. Then power down, replace the HDD with the SSD, replace the optical drive with the HDD, replace the RAM while you're in there, and power back on. You may need to hold Option to select the right drive, and may need to set your startup disk once you're in the OS.

You can still take advantage of Applecare, as the HDD and RAM are user-serviceable. The optibay is a grey area, but most people tend to remove their optibay and replace the original optical drive if they need service.

Karsh fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Aug 28, 2011

Karsh
Dec 22, 2004

this is my destiny
Plaster Town Cop

snoozeallday posted:

So if I added this to my 2010 i5 15" MBP:

OCZ Vertex 2 OCZSSD2-2VTXE240G 2.5" 240GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Would I love it?

Anecdotal evidence that OCZ sucks: I had a Vertex 2 that died within months, my friend had one that died within weeks, and the SSD thread here seems to hate OCZ.

Look into a different brand and/or read the SSD thread before making a decision, but yes, SSDs own and you will like a good SSD.

Karsh
Dec 22, 2004

this is my destiny
Plaster Town Cop

Jam2 posted:

What do you guys think of the rain mstand?

I use one with my 13" Air and it's great. There's not much to say about a laptop stand, but.. It's great.

Karsh
Dec 22, 2004

this is my destiny
Plaster Town Cop

spaceship posted:

Sure it does! There is an option to turn on 3 finger drags. point at what you want to drag, touch the touchpad with three fingers and drag away. No clicks. Owns.

touch to click + 3 finger drag supremacy

And then when dragging, lift one finger and tap with it to precisely drop what you're dragging.

(I figured this out after getting angry with 3 finger drag's delay before 'clicking' after lifting your fingers, and I love it so much)

hobbesmaster posted:

I always thought that switching screens was three fingers not four. Learn something new everyday.

It is, unless you change it. Which you need to in order to enable 3 finger drag.

Karsh
Dec 22, 2004

this is my destiny
Plaster Town Cop

Binary Badger posted:

Link provided doesn't exist yet. It still seems to be a Kickstarter program, looks like a wonderful little thing when it comes out, though.

It was typo'd, http://theniftyminidrive.com/ poo poo you fixed it while I was posting

I kinda want one but $35 is expensive for what it is. I think I'm going to stick with my current SD card.

Karsh
Dec 22, 2004

this is my destiny
Plaster Town Cop
Refurb prices are a bit weird right now..

13" Retina Pro with 128GB SSD: $1439.
13" Retina Pro with 256GB SSD: $1359.

Anyone in the market for a 13" Retina may want to grab that second one.

edit: I think it's because that second model has been discontinued due to the spec bump in the new high-end model. But that refurb has the same CPU as the low-end, which isn't far off. Still an awesome deal.

edit 2: anybody want to buy my 13" 2012 Air (base model, 6 months of included AppleCare remaining) for $950, and iPad 3 (16GB/black/verizon, ~1.5 years of AppleCare+ remaining) for $575? :buddy:

Karsh fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Feb 13, 2013

Karsh
Dec 22, 2004

this is my destiny
Plaster Town Cop

Ziploc posted:

I need to travel to a conference within the next two weeks. Normally when I need to interact with a certain piece of windows software, I remote into our windows box. As the conference is in another country, and internet is not guaranteed, I want to install windows on my Mac temporarily so I don't need to travel with two laptops.

I can achieve this with bootcamp right? And kill the partition when I'm done?

Yup. Boot Camp Assistant makes it pretty painless to nuke the partition once you're done with it.

For what you're trying to do, you may also want to consider Parallels or VMWare Fusion to make a quick virtual machine. Both offer lengthy full-featured trials.

Karsh
Dec 22, 2004

this is my destiny
Plaster Town Cop

clockworx posted:

Maybe call Apple about shipping it in for repair, and feel them out? it sounds like an Apple policy, so you might have better luck talking directly to them.

I don't think it's an Apple policy. I have a recalled Air and my Apple Store quoted me 3-5 days for ordering the part and repair, which has now turned into 3 weeks. Talked to them, and they told me to wait. Spoke to the Genius Admin, same thing. Mentioned that other stores have been replacing computers for this, and they got on the defensive and shot it down. They even suggested I buy my own SSD if I can't wait :confused:

Short of bringing it to another Apple Store and potentially dealing with the same poo poo, would there be anyone else I could escalate this to first?

Karsh
Dec 22, 2004

this is my destiny
Plaster Town Cop
I got a retina Macbook (1.1GHz/256GB) and it's really loving nice. But I'm probably going to return it.

It's just not powerful enough, and I don't think the 1.3GHz upgrade would help significantly. For the price, it's absolutely not worth the performance. It struggles to handle Twitch streams, often has UI lag at scaled 1440x900 resolution when switching spaces with nothing but messaging apps and Sublime Text open, and.. I just can't do it. :saddowns:

In a year, when Core M processers are more powerful or when the rMBP line gets smaller/Space Greyer, maybe I'll look into it again. But I guess I'm sticking with my 2012 Air for another year.

edit: maybe it's just non-Safari browsers running like poo poo. Is that a 'thing' with rMBPs too?

Karsh fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Apr 18, 2015

Karsh
Dec 22, 2004

this is my destiny
Plaster Town Cop

nerdrum posted:

How stupid would it be to downgrade from a late 2013 13" rMBP 256/8gb to a base MacBook? i do a bit of editing in Photoshop but mostly proofs; primarily spreadsheets and sitting on my couch in chrome or safari.

It'll feel a bit slower/laggier, but drat is it small and nice. Photoshop is manageable, Chrome runs somewhat poorly (mostly on sites with lots of hiDPI assets) but that not surprising. Test drive the keyboard in a store, if possible--I think it feels great, but many hate it.

I personally just returned a base MacBook in favor of a 2015 rMBP. I didn't think the CPU would matter to me, since I mostly did basic web dev, Photoshop, etc, but it felt just chunky enough that I couldn't keep it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karsh
Dec 22, 2004

this is my destiny
Plaster Town Cop
If we're posting our Macs for sale in this thread now, and speaking of Mac Minis.. I've got a Mac Mini 2012 server that I still haven't sold: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3796603

I really don't want to deal with eBay. Please give this best Mac Mini model of all time a good home.