Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Stoatbringer posted:

GPU via Thunderbolt looks like it will be very useful, when it eventually comes to market.
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/lucid-gpu-graphics-thunderbolt-external,17520.html

I was thinking of upgrading my old (2007-ish) iMac to one of the new ones, but I'm so keen on the way they seem to be sealed units, and you can't even replace the RAM. So a decent Mac Mini with an external GPU sounds like it would make a surprisingly powerful desktop suitable for gaming as well.

This is what I'm waiting for to really feel like the future is here. I don't care if you have to plug the card itself into a power plug being able to hot swap desktop strength cards on a retina MBP would be loving amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

b0red posted:

I really hope so. I'd sell my 2012 non retina pro to buy one. A 13 inch retina air sounds dreamy.

That sounds super dreamy but I still find myself compelled to upgrade my air to a new 13" rather than wait.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Pablo Gigante posted:

How is the HD Graphics 5000 expected to perform? I'm planning on getting a 13" Air and I'd like to be able to do at least a little bit of gaming on it.

I play League of Legends and have played SC2 and Diablo 3 on my Air with HD3000. If you don't mind lowering your settings you'll be fine. It does get hot as gently caress but it usually coincides with the time I want to take a break 1.5-2hrs~

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

I've got a Service Battery warning on my 13" MacBook Air Mid 2011 1.7 GHz Intel Core i5. I'm out of warranty when I bring this in to the apple store will there be any charges?

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

So I'm getting a 15" MBP but I can't decide whether to go with the discrete graphics or not. I'm going to get an education discount so the price difference is $400 bucks. I'll be lugging it around in a backpack for 2 more semesters and I'm a CS major who does a lot of photo editing on the side. Does anyone have any useful insights to point me in either direction?

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Where can I get replacement foot pads for a macbook air 13" mid 2011? I don't want to waste money on pads that don't fit.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Is there a home fix available for the USB device disabled thing? My month old 15inch mbpr is doing it when I have my phone plugged in. Super loving annoying.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

I'm excited to try out the newer keyboard but it probably still feels like typing on a butthole

I just got a new mbp for work and I loving hate it. trackpad is lol huge, the way i type i end up hitting the touch bar escape key very often, and the keyboard just feels bad. Article

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

lol that fake cyberpunk.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

I have a 15” MBP mid 2014 that has the latest Big Sur on it. Last night I was using it in bed and had the brightness at 1 before off. This morning I boot to a black screen. I reset smc and nvram. Nothing. Plug it in to an external monitor and it acts like it’s in clamshell mode. Any ideas on further troubleshooting?

I’m almost certain this is related to the brightness being so low when it feel asleep as something similar has happened to me in the past but it’s totally unresponsive to f1/f2.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Binary Badger posted:

What happens if you hit command-F1 with the external monitor connected?

Nothing happens, and ctrl+f1 brings up the "system preferences > displays" window. Machine is acting like laptop display doesn't exist.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Binary Badger posted:

what about apple-F1?

cmd-f1 does nothing. i really don't think the display is dead but can't assume anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

Whatever happened to the battery health issue where people were hitting 80% in like a year after only 200 charges?

work 16mbp is at 7795 mAh full charge capacity and it has 25 cycles lol