Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Not sure if this is a question for this thread or the osx thread. I've recently aquired a 2010 12 core mac pro which I have put two sata drives I had lying around. One I have just done a clean install of El Capitan and the other I was going to use for a bootcamp drive, however when I try to run the bootcamp assistant it says this mac does not support bootcamp.

From searching around it looks like it should do? Did I do something wrong when installing El Capitan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Binary Badger posted:

Naw, you didn't do anything wrong per se.. but Apple only supports certain models for Windows 10, if that's what you're trying to install.

Apple only officially supports up to Windows 8.1 for your mid-2010 Mac Pro; the only Mac Pro supported for Windows 10 is the latest, the Late 2013 Trash Can.

Also, did you use Boot Camp Assistant to format a drive for Windows before proceeding?

Thats the thing bootcamp assistant just doesnt run popping up with that error message. I forgot what the process was when I setup the bootcamp partition on my mbp.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Cyrano4747 posted:

Is it set up for RAID by any chance? Google indicates that boot camp won't work with computers that are set up for either software RAID or have a mac pro raid card.

It definitely wasnt setup for RAID as it appears to have come with a single 1tb drive, but i'll check if it has a RAID card installed.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
How do you clone a drive on osx? Ive got a 2010 Mac Pro that i want to swap the os drive which is a 320gb hdd for a 500gb ssd, is there an easy way to do this?

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I'm fairly new to macs and OSX in general, but it looks like I just need to go File>New Image>Image from XXX in disk util from recovery?

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I plugged a spare cinema display into my Mac Pro 5,1 and now every time I wake the thing up from sleep the mouse cursor starts to jerk about. A restart seems to fix this but its a bit annoying as it was fine before.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I bought a 2015 rMBP last around September from the refurb store but I completely forgot about Applecare. Can I still get it and is it worth it?

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

eddiewalker posted:

Speaking of graphical glitches, my 2015 13” rmbp does a weird flash of rainbow inverted colors when I open the lid. Normal?

Mine did this but I accidentally installed the beta version first. I ended up just doing a clean install of Sierra instead because other things ended up being a bit janky.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
My 2015 mbp has failed to wake up from sleep twice now, I've opened the lid and the login screen has just flickered off quickly. Both times I've had pretty much just firefox and maybe the notes app open I get a 'something has caused your mac to shutdown message'

I've tried resetting the SMC and NVRAM, but if it happens again is it worth contacting apple? The machine still has applecare and I did a clean Sierra re-install a few months ago.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Just bought a cheap RX480 for my mac pro, hope it works and doesn't suddenly cause my computer to explode. It should work oob in sierra and high sierra right?

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Theophany posted:

Yep, no boot screens though.

Just have to hang on to the std 5770 if I have to mess around in the boot menu then. Not a hard swap seeing as the side panel no longer latches shut any more.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Hmmm dunno why but I kinda fancy replacing my 13" 2015 with a new 13" TB model.......

Just the fact that I regularly use the USB ports on mine is making me stop tho, maybe I'll wait till they get them on the refurb store. Wonder how much I could sell the 2015 for.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Bob Morales posted:

What kind of stuff do you connect

Gopro, various portable hdd's, standalone car ecu and also I use it for code scanning in cars sometimes yeah I know I should just use my phone and a bluetooth odb reader but eh

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Are the 13 inch MBP's having the same problem with throttling? Or is it just the 6 core ones in the 15?

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Ugh so upgrading my MacPro to high sierra with the RX480 now causes the drat thing to crash on waking up from sleep. Looks like the only way to stop this is edit the bios on the card or edit a kext.

https://www.theitsage.com/fix-rx-580-sleep-issue-10-13-2/

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I inherited mine from someone at work who upgraded to a trash pro, although mines a 12 core model. I've got an ssd running off a sata3 card, 32gb of ecc and I did have an RX480 in it but when I upgraded to HS it hosed up sleep. The fix is to flash the rx480's bios so it thinks it's the one specific model of rx580 that HS supports, but I haven't got around to doing it yet.

I was eyeing the compatible higher clocked xeons on e-bay, which weren't too badly priced either.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
How long does it take for the new Macbooks to arrive on the refurb store? Anybody want to buy an 13 2015 mbp in the uk in a month or so haha.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Upgraded the cpu's on my old Mac Pro this morning. Not bad for £50 and waiting ages for shipping from china.

Now I just have to get the rx480 working correctly in High Sierra and I'll be all set for Mojave

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

ratbert90 posted:

Should have gone rx560. It’s natively supported.

The 480 worked perfectly out of the box in Sierra, when I upgraded to HS I started having sleep issues. The way round it is to edit the cards bios so macos thinks the card is the same model of RX580 that comes in the egpu thingy

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I've noticed my 2015 mbp battery life has been a bit bad as of late. On coconut battery its showing around 85% capacity left with around 450 cycles.

Still says the health is good but is this in the range of needing replacement.

I was just thinking about getting a 2018 model seeing as my applecare ran out last month on it.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I thought so, I do fancy a new one but its going to end up costing almost double what I paid for this one. After seeing the spec I want and the inevitable dongles I'll need.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Mu Zeta posted:

I think Firefox works really well with Macs now and having uBlock is a bonus.

Firefox seems to turn my mbp into a hairdryer when I watch any sort of web video, plus it seems to drain battery faster than when playing on Safari.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
In awe of this lad, absolute unit!

The drat thing seems to run a bit snappier in Mojave too, although the upgrade process isn't the best as you just get a black screen and the only sign of progress was my SATAIII cards activity light. Maybe if flash prices keep going down I'll get a NVME drive seeing as the latest firmware made them bootable.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Binary Badger posted:

Not much can be done about the black screen as AMD isn't going to put Mac EFI-aware firmware on their retail cards.

Enjoy the snappiness, Apple learning how to optimize their code baby steps style.

Don't forget to get a cheap PCIe carrier card for that NVMe as well, there aren't any built-in NVMe ports on the cheese graters to shove one in.

Yeah I mean the other option is get hold of one of the cards that would support metal but have ways to flash them with the mac efi compatible versions. The GTX680 and a couple older Radeon models can work for this. But most of these cards seem to be selling for pretty much what I bought the RX480 for.

The cheaper pci-e carrier cards limit you to like 1500mb per sec but I think it's something to do with the older pci-e standard. Apparently there are more expensive cards that can allow even faster speeds but I can't remember the specifics. It's all on the macrumors forum, it's kinda odd that Apple are still supporting this machine but kinda stealthily.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Lazyhound posted:

the cMP is booting the Catalina DP with a one-line edit :woop:

I was gonna ask about that seeing as now my 5,1 is on the shitlist. I don't think I can get my boss to buy me a 6 grand base model mac pro, let alone the monitor stand haha.

Saying that Catalina isn't gonna be massively different from Mojave anyway?

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Man for the same price as my ideal 13 inch MBP config I (Whatever cpu, 512gb ssd and 16gb ram) I can get a refurb 15 inch with similar specs but the more beefy cpu and the better gpu.

My current 2015 mbp turns into a insanely hot loud thing as soon as I try to do anything mildly strenuous, such as running one single VM or encoding a video, or even daring to use the lovely Sky GO application to watch something.

Also the screen appears to either have got something underneath it, looks like a spec of dust or something. You can feel a slight bump on on it and up close it kinda looks like you can see rgb pixels it's kinda hard to explain. No way apple will cover this will they?

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I've gotta admit that I've opened it up before to clean the dust out of the inside, I tried that recently but it looks like I managed to gently caress up one of the screws so now I can't open it without cutting a notch in the screw or using an extractor or summat. I do spray some in the vents every so often anyway.

I'm wondering if Apple will refuse to do anything with the machine if they find that screw?

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Managed to get the rounded one off by using a rubber band and pushing the driver through it into the screw. It wasn't that dirty inside, just a bit of dust.

Ordered a new set of screws from iFixit and then I'll take it to the store. I might as well see if they'll do the battery too seeing as coconut battery says it's at 80% desgin capacity with around 500 cycles, that should be enough to warrant a replacement?

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Electric Bugaloo posted:

You may have to pay for it, but it’s worth $175 or whatever for a fresh topcase and all that jazz.

Yeah I don't mind paying for it tbh, looking at the diy instructions and the fact that the drat things glued to the case gently caress that.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Binary Badger posted:

Yeah, I've already got a 5,1 equipped with an RX 580, an I/O Crest PCIe card, and 64 GB of RAM, hexacore CPU, but dammit it is getting slow compared even to the laughable TrashCan Pro..

I upgraded the xeons in mine to I think the second fastest ones available and with a sata 3 ssd it still runs great for me! I don't think I'll be using catalina any time soon on it tho.

Also my 2015 mbp fan is dying which is great! Along side the weird dead pixel it has and the dying battery I really need a new one, but it's gonna cost me like £2000 to get a mbp specced up to my liking.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
My 2015 rMBP came up with a service battery warning last week and to be fair the battery life tanked pretty badly. So I was ready to get the drat thing replaced, but then after a reboot the message dissapeared and the battery life went back to normal. I mean checking on coconut battery the design life is close to 80% anyway, but is it normal for the service battery thing to just dissapear?

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Generic Monk posted:

i keep posting in this thread months apart asking for tips on this then the process of actually doing it pisses me off and I end up not doing it:

running a mac pro 2012 that I upgraded to catalina with the dosdude patcher; it's now stuck on 10.15.0 since in order to update the OS you need to boot from a USB that has the patched installer on it and install over the current OS in order to get it to update. since I have an RX580 in it there's no video out until you actually get into the OS so selecting the boot device is super frustrating.

are there any tips on how to do this? like any specific magic key combo that'll force it to boot from the USB? or can I unseat the boot SSD which would presumably force it to boot from the USB, then re-seat the SSD when it boots up? i'm not sure whether this thing supports hot plug though. any tips would be lovely

Do you not have the original GPU that still has the EFI boot support? I have an RX580 in mine but I kept the 5770 or whatever to swap in if I ever take this thing to Catalina.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Man I was kinda tempted to get the Air because it seemed like a decent price for the spec I could get, but maybe I'll just wait for the new 13 Pro.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Last time I checked the prices for the last gen 13inch MBP with the spec I wanted was close to the base model 16 inch? Now it's at least £400 cheaper but with the newer cpu it seems.

Does anyone know what specs the 10th gen cpus are? Are they all 4c/8t or is the i5 just 4c?

My 2015 mbp is getting pretty creaky and I do very occasionally get the odd hardlock.

track day bro! fucked around with this message at 12:47 on May 5, 2020

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I like how they bring up DEP enrolled devices, yes I'm sure this two year old company enrolled MacBook has definitely not been swiped from work at all. Y'know because if they wanted you to have a an ex-company Mac surely they would've remote wiped it and removed it from their dep.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

MarcusSA posted:

Speaking of iStats Menu its on sale along with a bunch of other stuff.

https://bundlehunt.com/?ap_id=ap_id

iStat Menus
$6 (was $11.99)
Monitor your system right from the menubar with huge range of stats, including a CPU monitor, GPU, memory, network usage, disk usage, disk activity, date & time, battery and more.

PopChar X
$8 (was $33)
PopChar helps you get the most out of your font collection. With its crystal-clear interface, PopChar provides a frustration-free way to access any font's special characters.

A Better Finder Rename
$11.5 (was $22.95)
A Better Finder Rename is the most complete renaming solution available on the market today.

Flux 7.0
$7 (was $99.99)
Flux is an incredible Web Design Environment. Work in code and drag & drop. No compromises.

WALTR 2 for Mac
$5 (was $39.95)
A Magic drop area for your Apple device any Music, Ringtones, Videos, PDF & ePUB files onto your iPhone, iPad or iPod without iTunes.

Thanks for this, I ended up buying WALTR. Can't believe how much better this is than using iTunes

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I borrowed a 2019 13 mbp and it's so much faster doing most things than my 2015 that I'm definitely gonna have to buy a new one. Although not with this keyboard.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Mercurius posted:

Check out the 2020 models, the keyboard is almost back to the 2015 and earlier models. I was surprised at just how much better they are than my 2018 MBP.

Yeah, the base one with 4 thunderbolt ports looks like the best bet. I mean I guess I could wait for an arm one or we but I'll be happy if a 2020 one lasts 3 years or so, I've had the 2015 one for 5 years which seems like a good run.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Bought the 2020 13' MBP, I love the keyboard even more than my 2015. I'll be happy if this lasts me 3 years, the only reason I stuck with my 2015 was because of the keyboard stuff and borrowing a 2019 for a bit just confirmed it.

Also the thing doesn't turn into an inferno just running a basic windows vm like my 2015 did. Gonna give my 2015 to my brother who will do the battery replacement that it needed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

infinite99 posted:

I'm trying to remember if I ever actually tried that and I'm not sure if I have haha. Any cable recommendations or is anything cheap from Amazon pretty good?

I pretty much have the same setup for wfh, I’m using a dell 1440p monitor with a 2012 MacMini. I just use a Dell little DisplayPort to normal DisplayPort adapter and used the cable that comes with the monitor and I’ve had no problems