Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Pivo posted:

RDP is complicated, I think there's a wide range of ports

It's just 3389, TCP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Binary Badger posted:

Probably gonna be at least two or three more iterations before Intel refines their integrated GPUs up to the point where they can refresh a 4K screen at anything but 30 Hz.. unless I'm dumb and they have an Iris 6800 or 7000 already shipping that does.

All models Broadwell and newer can do this on DisplayPort, I believe. Haswell might be able to as well.

For HDMI, it looks like Kaby Lake will probably support HDMI 2.0 integrated on all models if the new NUCs are any indication since even the i3 and Atom models have 2.0.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Lichy posted:

I want to use Ethernet on my MBP Retina, should I shell out 25 pounds for the official Ethernet-to-thunderbolt adapted or will a USB adapter do without compromising speed to wifi levels?

USB3 has 500MBps available for both directions combined, if I recall correctly. Gigabit Ethernet is 125MBps in each direction or max 250MBps total, so there's plenty of headroom. You'd only need TB if you wanted to do 10G.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Woot is selling that model right now for 800 or 900 depending on proc/SSD so you will not be likely to get $1000.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

eames posted:

Replace the 13.3" rMBP with a very expensive, very capable 17" rMBP and I'm all for it.

I use the 13.3 rMBP as a work machine and really like it because I don't need a quad-core for running SSH sessions and MS office and would rather have a smaller, lighter machine than the 15", but I can still get the Pro-quality screen and port selection. If they'd put Thunderbolt and at least a 1080p screen in the Air they'd have more of a justification to drop the 13.3" Pro. Honestly, for Apple I feel like having kept that same screen in the Air for so long is kind of an embarrassment but it may end up better serving the product tiering they want.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Krispy Kareem posted:

I cried because I had a 3lb MacBook until I met someone who had a Dell Latitude.

A bunch of guys at work got 13 inch rMBP's for development work and you'd think they had just lost their ball and chains the way they carry the new laptops around.

This is a really funny thing to hear since I just bought a Latitude E7270, which is a 15W Skylake model like the new 13" MBP, and it weighs 2.8 pounds. Might be that they had a much older model?

Personally I think Apple sacrifices too much to make the drat things so thin. My Latitude is definitely a bit thicker than my Haswell 13" MBP, but in exchange I can easily pop the bottom off and swap out just about any component in the system with 5 minutes and a Phillips screwdriver. Can't be too much of a weight tradeoff there considering what it is.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Nov 4, 2016

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Krispy Kareem posted:

I don't know the whole Dell lineup, but Lattitudes have been sold forever and for most of that time they've been square bricks. The i5 model I use is probably 5 pounds.

It's not even the weight that's a problem. It's the creaky plastic and substandard Windows implementation of sleep mode that means everyone carries their work laptops half open. No one carries MBP's that way.

What do you mean by substandard implementation of sleep mode? They seem similar in my experience, but that's also a funny thing to hear because the most notable difference in my mind is that I can easily tell my Windows laptop not to sleep when I close it whereas I have to use InsomniaX to do that on my Mac.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Housh posted:

I have a k811 Logitech Bluetooth keyboard that can switch between 3 Apple computers/devices by the push of a button. Dunno if there are mice that do that yet.

MX Master supports three devices on BT or USB receiver.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

pzy posted:

I'm interested in this new philosophy of laptop battery life - basically it seems like they want you to use it all day and charge it overnight, like your iPhone.

Can I give the MBP a similar boost in battery life by attaching a plain ol' external battery (Anker, perhaps) from USB-A to USB-C? Might help on long trips!

If your battery is rated for USB Type-C power delivery maybe but if it's Type-A then you're almost certainly just going to get 5V and that won't be enough to charge a laptop.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Ars also reports a large difference between light and heavy load scenarios for battery life. (full review here)

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Khablam posted:

This is demonstrably untrue, even among laptops.

Yeah, I think this is partly a matter of companies delivering what people pay for. Look at Thinkpads (the classic business models, not E- or L-something since I don't know about them) or non-Core M Latitudes and tell me they're unrepairable. I've had two Latitudes from 4 years apart and in both, you can remove a few screws and get access to all kinds of user-replaceable components. Businesses will pay for that, but most consumers won't and Apple must have decided that their consumers would rather have thin+light than fixable or at least don't mind a machine with planned obsolescence enough to not buy it.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

kefkafloyd posted:

Most of Logitech's wireless mice allow for plug-in recharging with a USB cable that turn it into a wired mouse when charging. I find it a lot more convenient for the MX Master and it's the one feature that is better than the MX Revolution (which used a cradle).

MX Master, in addition to running for about a week on 30 minutes of charging and restarting immediately if you plug it in when dead, gets additional multiplatform cred for not only supporting BT+USB but also having a button to switch between three different devices. I was skeptical of paying $80 for a mouse but it has delivered.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Tab8715 posted:

What was this?

Inductive Charging is slowly becoming common and originally included with the Palm Pre. The only real drawback is lack of standardization and it's much slower than an actual physical connection.

There's another drawback in that if you have a poor connection the phone will heat up a lot by trying to charge to full over an extended period. It might just be a problem with cheap chargers but I had a Nexus 4 heat up so much that the battery swelled significantly and cracked the back panel - I had to buy a new battery and a new panel. It only happened once but that was enough for me to toss that charger and switch back to a wired charger for that phone.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Krispy Kareem posted:

I want my stuff glued in because now poo poo doesn't creak when I carry it one handed like a Dell. Sure, in theory an user replaceable battery is a good thing, but if they last last more than 3 years it becomes kind of pointless. By that time even if you could replace the battery you might not find a new one. Or your choices are limited to full-price OEM models or sketchy eBay knockoffs. Either way you're not spending that much less than Apple's posted prices for battery replacement + warranty.

Soldered in memory and glued in SSD's suck. Most of the other stuff isn't that bad. I'll pass on serviceability if it means a lighter and more structurally sound laptop.

Those are 3.5" drives right? That poo poo right there is worth getting angry about.

I have a Dell laptop, a Latitude E7270, that not only has a user replaceable battery but doesn't "creak when I carry it one handed", weighs less than a comparable Mac (2.8lbs, vs. 3lbs for the 13" Skylake MBP), and costs a lot less too. I haven't tried destructive tests on it to really validate the durability, but I don't have any reason to believe it's worse.

I feel like you're constructing a false dichotomy here whether you realize it or not, and it's actually possible to have a light, durable laptop with a user-replaceable battery that fits snugly and doesn't cost anywhere near $200. In fact I've had a few of them, not just the example above.

As for availability of replacement batteries, I've found aftermarket ones that work fine for multiple machines 5 years old and more. Someone else might have had a different experience from me, but I feel like your chances are pretty good unless you got a really niche model of laptop.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Dec 9, 2016

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Heaps of Sheeps posted:

I don't think people who live in the Mac bubble really know just how bad the state of Windows laptops is. They're just astonishingly bad. Try doing a two finger right click on the touchpad of a Windows laptop, and see how that works out for you. People complaining that their MBP doesn't get 10 hours of battery life? Lol, I'd be thrilled with 4 hours. The new keyboard is pretty radically different - and even if you subjectively dislike it - it's still better than 99.99% of all other laptop keyboards. To get MBP quality in a Windows laptop you have to spend MBP money - and you'll still end up with a lovely trackpad, keyboard, or more.

This is a really ridiculous generalization, speaking as a person who has a 13" Haswell MBP, a Skylake X1 Carbon and a Skylake 12" Latitude within arm's reach.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Khablam posted:

They designed the shell for the 2016 first and then stuck the only connectors on it that fit. There's no other way it makes sense.

You seem very confident of this considering that there's a clear precedent with the USB-C only 12" Macbook. Considering that part of the point of the USB-C connector was that it allows thinner systems, it seems to me a lot more likely that the connector choice and design went hand in hand.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Dec 17, 2016

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Mu Zeta posted:

Games aren't that great. Bioshock was huge few years ago and then Doom this year. Meh, pretty much all the same. Fun for 6-8 hour experience but when you're done you think "that's it? That's why I spent $1,500 on a gaming PC?"

Just get a PS4 when it becomes $250.

You mention two games from the same genre and say that the similarity you're perceiving between those two specific games means that "[all] Games aren't that great." Are you trolling or just not reading what you type to make sure it makes sense?

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Far be it from me to argue that Macs are gaming platforms but just being in the Mac thread doesn't make terrible arguments about games somehow valid.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Mu Zeta posted:

I enjoyed Mass Effect 2. I'm saying there are only a few games that are really fun IMO and it's not worth getting some stupid eGPU rig that costs $700 to play them. Get a cheap console instead. I like games

Right, my point is that you're making a huge generalization like "[most?] Games/Gaming PCs aren't worth it" based on how much you specifically like games and which games you specifically like. It's not very useful analysis for people with different preferences. "Get a console" too, I mean there are a lot of games that don't even come out on console.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
I don't think that wireless-only charging is likely since any feasible technology for it that I've heard of requires close physical proximity to the charging pad. You'd have a laptop that can't be charged while using it on the couch or in an airplane terminal (e: really in your lap at all, which makes it harder to call it a laptop), which seems a bit silly to me. It would also generate a lot of waste heat, or at least Qi does on cell phones in my experience. They might reduce the heat generation through greater efficiency but the wattage for a laptop would be much higher too.

If the kinds of ratios I see on Qi chargers are any indication, a wireless charger for your 60W laptop would probably end up drawing 90W at the wall.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jan 5, 2017

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
I'll admit I'm neither a physicist or an expert on wireless charging, but I feel like it would be very impractical and/or dangerous with current technology to beam enough power through the air to charge a laptop from 6 feet away.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Cyrano4747 posted:

The reason I'm asking is some of the stuff seems to be really contradictory. Some sources say to let it go completely flat, others say to shut it off and re-charge it once it hits 7% or so. The precise pattern of charge/drain/charge is also varied enough that I'm getting confused.

I thought all the stuff about specific types of charge/drain cycle being bad was for NiCad and other older types of battery tech. What I've heard for lithium ion and LiPo batteries for a long time is to not get them too hot, puncture or crush them and for long term storage to have them around 0C and 50% charge if possible. Beyond that they will degenerate over time and there's nothing you can do about it, charge/drain cycle magnitude and frequency doesn't really matter. Is my information out of date too? I checked the wiki page for memory effect and it straight up says that it's a property of NiCad and NiMH batteries, so that seems to fit.

edit:

Wikipedia posted:

The lifetime of lithium batteries decreases at higher temperature and states of charge (SoC), whether used or not; maximum life of lithium cells when not in use(storage) is achieved by refrigerating (without freezing) charged to 30%-50% SoC. To prevent overdischarge battery should be recharged to 50% SoC once every six months or once per year.

edit 2:
Apparently number of cycles is an issue on lithium but there's a lot of variance how much and it's hard to separate loss of capacity due to aging from loss of capacity due to wear. Anyone who cares about all the details should check out the article, someone has clearly done a lot of work on it.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jan 19, 2017

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
But it doesn't sound like the 5K display is itself causing interference, it's just very sensitive to a common form of interference that most other devices tolerate well.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

MrBond posted:

logitech drivers are garbage though.

YMMV but I used an MX Master with a 13" Haswell MBP over Bluetooth several times over the course of several months and never had any issues.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

ub posted:

I just picked up a refurb 2015 13" MacBook Pro this week and it's mostly all good. One thing though - twice I've closed my computer at around 35-40% battery power and woken up the next day to a dead battery. Do MacBooks no longer go to sleep when the lid is closed, or am I a moron? :confused:

As far as I'm aware you usually can't even change that behavior intentionally without a third-party utility, I remember using InsomniaX to disable lid sleep.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Twerk from Home posted:

I could really use a hand finding a Thunderbolt 3 -> Displayport 1.2 cable. If you stack multiple dongles (Thunderbolt 3 -> Thunderbolt 2 -> Displayport) you can't do displayport 1.2 over the double dongle. I know that TB3 is capable of doing this because that's how the LG Ultrafine display works internally, but where can I find a cable that does it?

One of these?

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
If they're moving to Skylake-E then they could conceivably (not necessarily likely) offer a 32-core option, quite a leap up from the current 12. I wonder if they'll just go back to something like the cheese grater form factor or not. I'm not ruling out the possibility of something else unique that isn't as compromising as the cylinder, but I feel like desktops are mostly squareish boxes for a reason.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Logitech's MX Master is great in part because you can use Bluetooth and still charge over USB as needed. Works great with Mac and PC - even has a quick device switch function if you have both.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

eightysixed posted:

I still want a Mini. Should I continue to play the waiting game? :saddowns:

The internals of the Mini are basically a NUC and they're stuck on Broadwell right now. While the 15W -U processors are seeing noticeable gains from one generation to the next, a brand new one wouldn't be that much faster - perhaps 25-30% to move up to Kaby Lake. Full hardware HEVC/H.265 decoding, HDMI 2.0, and a doubling in maximum memory capacity due to going to DDR4 would be the other big likely benefits of a new model. If you don't care a lot about any of those there's not much reason to wait, especially since there's no specific reason to believe the Mini will be updated soon/ever.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Apr 5, 2017

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
It might be that Skylake-E isn't going to be available until 2018 or very late 2017 and they don't want to start on Broadwell-E, which in addition to having come out a while ago is almost certainly the last generation for that platform.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
I know Apple hates to revisit old ground but I think they could do a lot worse than resurrecting the cheese grater with two sockets for whatever the E5 Xeons are going to be called with Skylake. One socket maybe, since E5s go up to pretty high core counts at this point and I believe they'll have six channel DDR4 with just one.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 16:13 on May 5, 2017

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
It's possible, but I haven't heard anything about it and from what I can find the mini is still on Haswell instead of Broadwell like the MBA so I doubt it.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

LionArcher posted:

Base RMBP (okay upgraded to 16 gig) is perfectly usable as a second coffee shop travel computer right? I'm a publisher, so I need to do some light photo shop work from time to time, but otherwise it's just a writing machine.
Definitely more than you need for a writing machine, whether you're talking about the 13" or 15" version. I think of the 12" Macbook as being more targeted to that segment. The Pros will do the job fine too though, if that's what you want.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
God, no. Get the 13" Pro and don't look back, why would you want a sub-1080p screen in a $1000+ laptop in 2017? Especially if you're ever going to use it for Photoshop, as he suggested.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
With desktops, I think thermal expansion and contraction was a concern - definitely legitimate back in the days when DIP chips could slowly walk out of their sockets, but that was a long time ago. For anything with solder joints it's harder to quantify and I don't know if anyone has done hard science on whether "the strain of leaving it on all the time" is a bigger factor than "the strain of turning it off and on over and over again" or if either is even a meaningful factor at all.

I sleep my desktop every night but that's about getting it to use 5W instead of 70W for eight hours, not concerns over component failure. Not really a concern for laptops which idle so low they might as well be sleeping, if you don't have them set to sleep after an idle period anyway.

As far as wear goes, I don't really think idling a system to do a big file transfer is significant for any period of time unless it already has some sort of failure condition developing. It would probably run for a decade or more if you give it a clean power input and no software issues cause a crash.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jul 19, 2017

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Krispy Kareem posted:

Personally I’ve never seen the point of Fusion drives. Apple products are tough to fix so it’s best to keep internal moving parts to a minimum.

It's the same point as any SSHD. They get to increase the cost of goods by a pittance and convince you that it's as fast as an SSD where it really counts so you should pay extra to get the best of both worlds.

Not a lot for the consumer unless you're averse to external HDDs and absolutely need the space though.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

FCKGW posted:

SSHDs and Fusion drives are nowhere near the same level performance wise though. A 2tb SSHD will get you 8gb flash while a fusion will get you 128gb (or more if you build one yourself). With a fusion setup you can fit the entire OS and probably all your applications on the SSD depending on usage. An SSHD has just too little flash to be useful.

I've been running fusion drive setups in my Mac mini, Mac Pro and Macbook systems and they are just as flash as a dedicated SSD for almost all my daily usage.

Yeah, that's a fair point for the larger ones. It was my understanding that smaller Fusion drives had a flash component more similar in size to consumer SSHDs, that's what I was referring to.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
A 600GB SSD is almost worth $180 by itself, so my guess is pretty well.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Mu Zeta posted:

You can already get cheap Intel NUCs for like $300. Apple could just get one of those and slap a white plastic case on top of it for double the price.

Yeah, this was what I thought yesterday when I saw the email. It would be even easier with Kaby Lake-R, they could bring back the quadcore Mac Mini but keep it as small as the new ones and put TB3 in to boot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Dick Trauma posted:

The Mac Mini is going to be turned into a dongle.

Coming soon to an HDMI 2.0 port near you... the iMac Nano.

japtor posted:

Hell with that, bring on hex core Coffee Lake Mac minis :getin: late next year at the earliest if ever.

That'll totally be in the standard iMac. Mini would be cool but it seems unlikely.