Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

xamphear posted:

I picked up one of the new 13" MBAs last weekend. I'm loving the poo poo out of it, really great piece of hardware. Now that I've installed Win7 on it, can I completely blow away the OSX partition or is there some reason I might need to boot back into it in the future? Future bootcamp driver updates or something?

You won't be able to download or install new EFI / firmware updates without a Mac OS X partition.

Furthermore, if it ever needs servicing, and you don't reformat the SSD and put Mac OS X back on, Apple techs will refuse to work on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

The new MagSafes kick rear end over the older ones. Having the cable lay flush with the edge of the laptop rather than perpendicular to it saves so much wear and tear it makes me want to punch the guy who designed the first MagSafes.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

pipebomb posted:

Wheee. My OWC 360g ssd shipped. Any 64gb Air users want to upgrade to 128g cheap?
:-)

How cheap.. I don't have 64 GB but I know someone who does..

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Forbidden Kiss posted:

Does anyone have experience with hardware replacement service repairs from the Apple Store? I dropped off my Macbook last Monday to get a new logic board, hard drive, and fan because it was overheating really badly and they won't give me an estimate on when it will be finished. I was initially told it would take less than a week, but that's already passed.

Depends on the particular location. Here in NYC every Apple Store has a full complement of technicians, all of whom have been through the ringer by being exposed to every type of customer imaginable. (Especially at the Fifth Avenue location which is open 24/7) Other locations might not have as many techs because Apple doesn't want a full staff of techs in a strip mall in Pigs Knuckles, Idaho where there's no demand.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Yeah, that should go in the OP. Educational discounts on AppleCare are pretty good, and cool.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

I've said this before and I'll say this again: no one should still be using Xbench, it hasn't been updated in five years, the developers used to have a forum that they slammed shut when people bitched about how they refused to document their methodologies or even provide source. And its OpenGL benchmarks have been debated as wildly inaccurate.

Instead, try Geekbench (it's cross-platform as well) which is a lot better and even more Mac-specific as it handles Rosetta and is available for 64 bit. For hard drive stuff I always use AJA System Test (free) or DiskTester (payware $40, but it's worth it for the ability to 'recondition' SSDs.)

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Sorry, forgot to mention that GeekBench is limited free/payware.

$13 bucks activates 64-bit benchmarks and Rosetta benchmarking, without paying it only does 32-bit benchmarks.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

flyboi posted:

It also doesn't do HD benchmarking. I'm in the same boat though, I can't find a good benchmark util for my SSD.

Like I said, I prefer either AJA System Test (free) or DiskTester ($40 payware.) AJA I use more for quick and dirty one-off testing of drive speeds, DiskTester for more intensive stuff. RobArt uses DiskTester for his benchmarks on BareFeats as well.

digiLloyd posted:

DiskTester bypasses the Mac OS X cache and the figures shown therefore represent actual drive performance independent of caching. The figures are a good starting place for understanding general performance.

digilloyd might appear a little spergy and as the latest bearded wonder of the OS X PhotoShop scene, but his stuff works. He's already written an artlcle about benchmarking Intel SSD's at his Macperformance site.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Aug 19, 2011

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Lazyhound posted:

There are 1TB 2.5" drives available. A 12.5mm-thick drive will fit, but 9.5mm is standard. The installation instructions are in the user manual.

Stick with the 9.5's, it's what Apple specs; the larger ones might gently caress things up. They don't allow for much clearance, especially in the unibody models.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

All I can give you is my anecdotal evidence where I was once asked to put in a 12.5mm drive into a Mid-2009 13-inch MacBook Pro and the cover wouldn't close. Google said I could put it in by being a dick and leaving the mounting screws off, but why would I want the client (who moves around with it a lot) to have a laptop that rattles around, not to mention keeping it like that would have caused a lot more stress to the drive.

A very small missive in an Engadget article claims 12.5s can go into 2010 models and later, but every OEM laptop drive I've ever seen ship in MacBooks/MacBook Pros from Apple have been 9.5mm OOTB.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

They're also still using tri-wings screws on the battery, which is a non user serviceable part across all the currently shipping MacBook Pro models since 2009.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Aug 22, 2011

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

^^ that only works for David Pogue

Bring in both the battery and the laptop, keep the battery in a big Ziploc bag. Just from the leaking battery alone they ought to replace it outright. Depending on the location, they usually have black batteries in stock, otherwise they may order one in advance if you call ahead of time to schedule a tech appointment.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

SnatchRabbit posted:

If I wanted to install an SSD on my wife's 2006 Blackbook would I need to find an IDE drive? Or can I use SATA? She's still on leopard as well. I assume I would have to upgrade her to Lion?

All MacBooks since their start use SATA. It'll only be a 1.5 Gb link, though.

If it's a MacBook 1,1 (go look in System Profiler) then it can only be upgraded to 2 GB. If it's a MacBook 2,1 (Late 2006) blaqueBook it can go to 3 GB. Putting in 4 GB will be a waste because only 3.3 GB of the 4 will be recognized by the OS due to limitations of the hardware.

MacBooks couldn't offer 4 GB of RAM until late 2007, when the Santa Rosa based logic boards came out.

Lastly, the very first MacBook1,1 can't run Lion as it had a Core Duo, not a Core 2 Duo.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Aug 25, 2011

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

In situations like the above I just clone the drive, slap in the new one, do a full install of Snowy/Lion-Oh for that model onto the new drive, then boot up, make a dummy admin account, then use Migration Assistant to grab everything from the old account.

Pain-free (mostly) and everything usually comes over, no muss or fuss unless it's from a Tiger OS in which case I have to redo networking and printers.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

I've seen people trying the third party batteries on both MacBooks and Pros at the yob and these are their common issues:

- 3rd party batteries don't quite fit as well as Apple versions, sometimes they stick out

- They often only last anywhere from two weeks to several months then go straight to zero

- shadowy companies offer warranties via emails and phone numbers that never get answered

It's a very major part of the laptop and no one but Apple appears to give a poo poo about making decent batteries, just stick with theirs. You have all the Fruit Stands around you to take it back to if there's a problem.

If you calibrate your battery properly, you too can have a battery that has these specs:

Not shopped or modded. Laptop has been in continuous use for two years. Discharged every month down to at least 5%.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Aug 28, 2011

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Headhunter posted:

:words:
What's the easiest way of diagnosing a problem like this? Am I better off just reinstalling Lion and see if that helps? I have all my data backed up with Time Machine to an external hdd.

Download this. It's a program called SMART Utility and it'll run as a free trial. If it scans your drive and says FAILING in the little red box, take it back to the Fruit Stand (do remember to call for an appointment first) and have them switch out the drive. Try doing a screenshot and save it to a flash drive as proof. They may just disregard a third party utility, or they may not.

You also might want to use Super Duper or Carbon Copy Cloner to clone the drive first, to a blank external drive, preferably formatted as GUID partition format as an additional backup. Me, I'd clone it to a disk image, as that adds another layer of 'protection' as it saves the entire drive to a contiguous single file. But a Time Machine backup is good enough.

Apple will not even think twice about just giving you a new drive with a system already installed, or just wipe your old drive if they think it's salvageable. Read the terms of the AppleCare contract- they have no obligation to save your data and recommend you back up yourself.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Aug 29, 2011

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Other than use the on/off switch on the Magic Mouse and turn it off when you're not using it / wanting it to wake your machine?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Thoogsby posted:

Doesn't show in Disk Utility.

Tried rebooting with the drive connected? What Mac are you using?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Was this drive advertised to work with the Mac in the first place? Most Mac enthusiasts know Firewire is the way to go, especially if your Mac has a Firewire port in the first place. What's the make of the drive, or is it some noname?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Both of those are software questions.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

frogbs posted:

At work we have a late 2006 iMac (Intel!) that has started randomly turning off all on its own. I think its a bad power supply, any idea what Apple would charge for a new PS?

If you brought it to a Fruit Stand they might charge around $60-$70, it's basically the same power supply from the old iSight-equipped G5 iMacs.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

^^^ Yeah, really, I used to get so sick of that, never went the iFixit route though

For something out of warranty, Apple is definitely going to charge something. But it may vary among the Fruit Stands, you should call the nearest one to you and find out.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Aug 31, 2011

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

5400 RPM drives are pretty much just bargain binners at this point, useful for their initial cost.

Current 7200 RPM drives like the Hitachi TravelStar H2IK5001672SP and the WD Scorpio Black have been optimized to consume just about the same amount of power as 5400 drives. I use the former only because I can get them for $60.

Newegg just put Samsung Spinpoint 7200 500GB drives up for $50..

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152236

Edit: its power usage specs aren't quite as good as the WDC or Travelstar drives, but to each his own..

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Sep 1, 2011

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Actually it's turning into the opposite. The new 1TB Caviar Blue (5400 RPM) is faster than the old 500GB Caviar Black (7200 RPM).

Yeah, for the new higher capacity /denser drives.. the older 5400 drives are gonna stay right where they are and go into the bargain bin, as evidenced by NewEgg trying to blow them out.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Hanks Lust Cafe posted:

Do Apple Stores keep some sort of log of Genius Bar visits? Basically, would I be called out on telling two different stories to two different stores about the same problem?

Ohhhh, they keep track all right. I believe they keep records attached to the serial number. It's the first thing they do when someone checks in their machine.

I know this from countless hours spent waiting around in Apple stores, watching people get super flustered as the Genius tells them "Sir/madam, you already brought this machine in to our Fifth Avenue store complaining about the same thing, spilling PBR all over the P,B, and R keys"

Worst that would happen is that they'd refuse to service the machine, pretty much depends on how the manager is feeling at that particular moment, if it gets that far.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

brc64 posted:

I was sort of wondering how that worked, given I didn't get any sort of restore media with my new Air. I figured it was probably detailed in the manual or something, but :effort:

That's strange, with the Airs you usually get a small USB flash drive that has Lion on it. It's usually packed inside a small paper card; try looking in the little black paper pouch again? And if you didn't get one try calling the Fruit Stand you bought it from and see if they have any spares in stock?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Right, just do the total discharge once a month, I actually keep powering up my old MacBook up until it doesn't power up anymore, THEN I put in the adapter.

Plus, if you keep watching your battery power you'll just go nuts. Just do it occasionally. Your battery will randomly go from being almost as good as new to running on fumes, but calibrating it brings it back to where it ought to be.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

It's not under warranty or AppleCare?

You can use any standard 2.5" SATA drive.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Yep. That'll be your standard macbook topcase palmrest crack. As for the screen bezel, I have never in my life heard of that cracking, but I suppose they might do something about that if it went about the same way as the palmrest.

Screen bezels also crack, happened on my mid 2009 MB. Corners crumbled off. They'll replace this too, for the same models covered by the top case program.

e;f;b

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Sep 12, 2011

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

The Genius has to yank the glass off as well when they work on it. How would they know if it was you?

Not a genius, but I can tell when someone gives me an iMac and the glass is chipped from where some noob decided that suction cups are for retards and used a screwdriver or putty knife to lift the glass instead.

It's not an overly complex task to open a metal iMac, more tedious than anything else.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Charles Martel posted:

:words:

Also remember that Apple tends to equip graphics chips in their machines based more on how much of a deal the vendor is giving them, rather than them saying 'LETS ROCK THIS THING TO HELL" and asking the vendors for the bleeding edge.

At least they have to be powerful enough to process 3D at a decent clip since the OS offloads drawing instructions directly to the graphics chip; everything on your Mac screen is technically a 3D object..

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Sep 14, 2011

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Didn't see any evidence of a backlit keyboard on the UX31 either. Still thinking about selling my 2010 MBA just to get one plus that SD and Tbolt port on a 2011. The Intel HD 3000 would be a small step down from the nVidia 320M, though..

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Sep 15, 2011

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

^^^ Tried holding down D at bootup and running the hardware test?

Nitr0 posted:

Yep. Apple needs to get off their rear end and make some drivers that can switch to the onboard video when not doing 3D.

Highly unlikely as Apple would be helping a competing OS vendor on their OWN hardware.

It's as good as it's going to get now, you can hope that maybe in the new Tim Cookyness of Apple that some engineer might suggest it and do it in his spare time and somehow sneak it into a new build of the Boot Camp drivers, but anything that doesn't help OS X before anything else will be shitcanned.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

In order for your machine to be heard above the din of the others, maybe you need some kind of signal booster..

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

No, it could probably be nudged out once you got the top case off.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

japtor posted:

I think the class action one was the 8600M (in the earlier gen MBPs), I didn't even know the 9400 had any problems until the previous post about it.

The 9400M on my 2009 MacBook has been working just fine, seems to be something that they screwed up just on the MBP.

quote:

Will he have to watch out for the sudden motion sensor stuff too or can that be easily patched/worked around now?

Yeah, even Apple has documented how to disable SMS so it's not really an issue anymore. Also most major manufacturers are much more cognizant of tuning their drive firmware to include Macs these days.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

Otherwise I stick to Amazon, Macmall, Macconnection because they don't charge tax.

Maybe not in your state, pal.

Amazon posted:

Items sold by Amazon.com LLC, or its subsidiaries, and shipped to destinations in the states of Kansas, Kentucky, New York, North Dakota, or Washington are subject to tax.

hunter something something posted:

Is Apple.com the best place to buy your Apple hardware? Or the retail store?

My experience and opinion is that if you buy from a retail store, it's much easier to deal with post-sales issues with them.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Sep 25, 2011

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

Seriously? That's ridiculous.

Welcome to the world of Apple peripherals, where everyone charges more because they're a) Apple or b) a third party that claims it has to make up for the smaller user base. It's been like this forever.

Newer MagSafe adapters also have this cord made out of this material that refuses to get kinked up.

It should go in the OP: don't waste your time with third party AC adapters or batteries, no one will ever bother to make ones that match Apple standards.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Sep 26, 2011

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Kapton's most likely used because it holds up well under extreme temps, both hot and cold.

However if you have an intermittent connection I'd be more inclined to blame the cable itself going south than a piece of tape..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Bass Bottles posted:

However, I have heard that the new ones are much more reliable, so here's hoping.

Ancedotal, but I've been using the same 60W traffic light MagSafe adapter on my MB mid-2009 for the past two years without so much as a hiccup.