Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
I'm contemplating selling the 27" iMac and my 2 24" LED LCDs and getting 2 cinematic displays for the mbp what the gently caress is wrong with me :psypop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

japtor posted:

You have too much money and are sick of syncing things between the MBP and iMac? Is your MBP faster than the iMac at least?

iMac is 2011 27" base configuration - MBP is 2011 15" with matte display, i7 2.2 ghz, 8gb ram and a 128gb corsair ssd

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

dissss posted:

The 11" is 1366x768, just like any other netbook and personally I don't think you'd want anything higher at such a small screen size.

IMO its the 13 and 15" MBP that are looking really weak as far as resolution goes, the 15" especially is so close to being a desktop replacement in most other regards.

I guess being 27 makes my eyes old as gently caress because if my high res display on my 15" were any higher I would most definitely not be able to read the text. Then again this is Something Awful where goons care more about numbers than usability of a computer.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

dissss posted:

Which is why ideally text size should be decoupled from resolution, then higher res panels would be good for everyone. Pity no one has really got that right yet.

If your vision is fairly good then a bump in resolution is single biggest usability improvement you can do to a modern computer system.

Ideally and realistically are two different things. The resolution on the 15" is fine, I can read it but I could not imagine a 1920x1200 panel as I would have to jack up the text size to even be able to read anything. My eyes aren't horrible, I wear glasses but the prescription is minimal and moot.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
There won't be "retina" displays unless you're planning on spending $7000 on your display. Apple is not one of the big manufacturers of screens and the technology for smooshing pixels to be more dense isn't cheap. Apple users :rolleyes:

Edit: Not only that, any of the big makers are essentially shooting themselves in the foot considering working with another software platform at this time is completely impossible so they're developing new technology for the smallest minority of panel users.

flyboi fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jul 26, 2011

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

madprocess posted:

Yeah, uh, no guy. The dang installer isn't full screen res, plus you'd have the same problem of needing to change settings "with a magnifying glass" on OS X since OS X does not default to HiDPI mode.

Might I also point out that compared to something like 800x600 on a 17 inch CRT like we were mostly using back in the 90s, a stock MacBook Pro 15 inch or iMac 27 inch is already double dpi?

Yes, that's true that 20 year sago I was rocking SVGA on my 13" crt, this doesn't mean retina displays are coming any time soon. The support in Lion is MINIMAL. It's just a starting framework to get things rolling. Who knows if it even comes to fruition - just like resolution independence in OSX the only way to see it is through a hack and 99% of the system isn't even optimized for it.

While there's an attempted system in place, it won't be ready for many years to come.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

madprocess posted:

I think you misread my point. What I was saying is, we didn't need any special fancy HiDPI modes to make things continue to work over the last time DPI doubled. Standard resolutions and dpi continued to gradually get higher, it wasn't like in 2004 all of a sudden everyone stopped using 50-70 ish dpi monitors and started using 100-140 ish dpi monitors like today. Neither OS X nor Windows had to do anything special for the last gradual doubling.

Retina displays? Maybe in 10 years, in the meantime dpi will just steadily creep upwards!

Right, text got smaller and smaller, older resolutions are scaled up to blurry rear end. I don't know about you but being forced to use everything else at non-native resolution just to read something because Windows and Linux don't have widgets/proper dpi scaling to properly support a "retina" display would make me stay with a lower-res screen.

Not to forget, the internet is pretty much 72dpi or 96dpi so you're going to make 99% of everything you were to ever read/look at blurry rear end since it will be scaled 4-fold.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

madprocess posted:

Compared to what we were using 10 or more years ago, stuff now is 4x the size. Our screens of today would pretty much be called "Retina" in 1999 - and that's before taking into account the lack of CRT/VGA analog blur.

Why do you assume that in 10 years, which is the realistic advent of what would be "Retina" today, everything will still be designed the same?

First off, yes resolutions quadrupled at some aspects.

Second, you're comparing the resolution of what was on a standard 13" display to that on a 27" display. While resolutions quadrupled size has also increased as well as aspect ratios. 10 years ago I was using a monitor capable of 1280x960 at 14" but I ran it at 1024x768 because my mom couldn't read the text. I can promise you she would have the same issues on my 27" iMac or 15" MBP.

20 years ago I was running 800x600 on a 13". I wouldn't really say that every 10 years resolution quadruples because I distinctly remember upgrading to a 1600x1200 19" display in 2002 which compared to other displays aside from the iMac 27" there isn't a quadruple change here. Also the 27" is almost double the screen size of a 19".

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Bob Morales posted:

A bunch of 2010 13" Airs and some 2009 13" MBP's hit the for sale forums in the past week. Priced at $1,000+ and $800+ respectively. That's what refurbs from Apple of the same models go for :confused: One of the guys here is including a keyboard and trackpad at least.

It's the Apple resale tax. 99% of people reselling their Apple hardware are jerks.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

madprocess posted:

If you knew anything about screen tech you'd know it is. Also what dpi are these "retina" displays you're talking about?

No HiDPI exists in osx it's going to happen at the next refresh!! :ironicat:

I just want to point out you need at least 7072x3978 to get 300 ppi on a 27" iMac. On top of that "retina" 300 dpi being so crisp you could lick some boobies and think they were real is based off being 6-12" from your face. The further you get from the screen, the more ppi necessary.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

jfreder posted:

Isn't it the opposite?

Yeah it is... I'm tarded

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Small White Dragon posted:

A "2x" screen for an iPad would be 266 or so. Are you not considering that "retina"?

EDIT: But seriously, OS X Lion is likely to have a lifespan of 2 years or so. You really don't think they could go from producing a 10' 266dpi display to a 13' 266dpi in the span of a couple years?

This explains it pretty well:

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/badastronomy/2010/06/10/resolving-the-iphone-resolution/

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
You can take my quad core MBP out of my cold, dead hands when ULV stops sucking complete rear end. gently caress a 15" air.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Kenshirou posted:

So, after striping my drives and upgrading my RAM to 8GB, my Mac Mini Server is absolutely flying. I think the bump in VRAM definitely makes a difference in any light gaming I want to do (TF2 runs a lot better), too. Now I'm just trying to decide if it's worth spending the extra money for a FW800 enclosure versus a USB 2.0 one for Time Machine because it would be great if it went any faster.

FW800 is much faster than USB and I'd suggest it. While the test is dated my tests on my 2011 iMac were very similar in terms of speed http://www.barefeats.com/usb2.html

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

BlackMK4 posted:

Hmm... refurb 13" MBP or Lenovo X220 with SSD, IPS screen, and 9cell battery. :emo:

Have you looked at the X220 screen? I had a X200 and the screen was...horrible. It wasn't IPS but it had a viewing angle of 2 degrees at most.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Highly doubtful considering the last refresh was less than 6 months ago.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Thanks newegg

:shepface:

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

fleshweasel posted:

i think he bought a shitload of ram on newegg, hence "thanks newegg"
why did you buy so much ram

Virtual machines mostly this is how activity monitor looks at the moment and I have minimal apps that I need to function opened:

I need a Windows VM for office for my work email because we're in the process of migrating to Google Apps and their OSX support is complete trash. I have never been so appalled at how awful someone supports OSX as Google after my experience with our companies "enterprise" support. Outlook requires a shitton of ram to not suck poo poo, I usually have 3-4 linux virtual machines going at a time and I gotta work on top of that. On my MBP I gotta juggle virtual machines around or I run out of ram and that's never fun.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Sinestro posted:

Just use loving Sparrow. I use it with GApps, it works *perfectly*. :whoptc: is up with Mail/your browser that screws up GApps?

I have ~10GB in email and there's a 2.5GB daily download limit. I need most all of the email for various reasons with my job. On top of that I need my contacts and calendar or I'm severely hosed. GApps doesn't work with the address book at all due to no CardDAV support. Their "fix" is to download it from your gmail web interace and import it. Basically I loving hate non-MAPI and I miss exchange and gently caress Google for only having a MAPI plugin for Windows. Somehow the windows client does magic voodoo to make my messages come in without freaking out.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Megiddo posted:

Last time I ask this:

I'm trying to upgrade a late '06 Mac Pro from 2GB to 6GB of RAM, but it's only seeing 5GB. Please help!

The upper board has 2x2GB sticks on slots 1&2 and 2x512MB sticks on 3&4. Lower board has 2x512MB sticks in slots 1&2. RAM itself is all good, lower board does recognize RAM when tested, just not the last 1GB when in this configuration. Am I doing something wrong?

According to this: http://tesselator.gpmod.com/Images/_Equipment_n_Tutorials/Memory_Configuration_2006.jpg you should be putting the 2GB in board A and the 4x512 in board B (look at 6C)

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Lacie it's August where's my little big dick :negative:

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
We don't even have an apple store within 3 hours of where I live, only certified technicians. When I first got the MBP I was worried about installing my own SSD voiding the warranty so I called them to ask the price of having them install an Apple SSD and the guy told me that all macbook SSDs were soldered into the motherboard and you would have to have ordered it with SSD. Even Macbook Pros.

So hey, you could be worse off. I gotta take my poo poo to these retards if it ever breaks and I'm sure they'll give me poo poo for having my own SSD too.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

SERIOUS posted:

I just figured it was okay to post about it here since it's about Mac hardware. I'll stop if it bothers anyone.

I am rather interested in seeing the outcome of the whole situation personally. It's warranted here and better than speculating about the next refresh of MBP with True Retina HiDPI Display Pad.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

sicjoke posted:

^^^ What he/she said. (The 13" 2011 MBP has a single Intel video card)

As far as being set up correctly, there is little that I can do in the way of setting up other than selecting if the display is extending or mirroring the desktop and what resolution I want.

External Display Settings:

LCD Display Settings:

On my new MBP those settings produces a picture that is ~10% smaller horizontally than the monitor is capable of displaying. lovely iPhone Pic of External Display:

I have also replicated this issue on another 2011 MBP / External Monitor setup. The Apple support forums also have a number of people moaning about the same issue.

Apple support have gone away to have a think and said they will get back to me in 2 days. I am not confident that the results are going to be favourable.

On the mac uncheck Overscan and then go into your tv settings. There should be something in your picture settings along the line of "HD Mode." I have to have mine on mode 2 to have correct overscan which got rid of the border but doesn't scale past the border of my tv.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

sicjoke posted:

This was the first thing suggested by Apple support. However, Overscan is not an available when connect to an external display using the mini display port adaptor and a VGA D-sub cable. I believe the settings you mention are only available when connected using HDMI (I am using D-Sub).

I know it works on DVI cables because I use it on my 2009 Mini. I'm sure there's some reasoning behind VGA not having overscan controls because I think Windows has a similar problem. Been a loooong time since I tried using VGA but IIRC it was a PITA for me as well.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

You're never going to hit the limit of write-cycles on flash in the lifetime that you own it. You're also never going to stop an OS with proper memory management from swapping, regardless of how much RAM you throw at it.

HOW DARE YE OSX!!!!

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

trinary posted:

There's an SSD-only 2011 iMac in the refurb store, and I want to buy it. However, I'd probably want to boot into windows every once in a while to play a game or something. Does Bootcamp still not work with external drives? Has there been any info on Thunderbolt changing that?

It's not a limitation of bootcamp, it's a limitation of Windows. And no, there is still no workaround and I doubt that Thunderbolt will address this issue.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
You can if you get one of those DualHead2Go things by Matrox but they're pretty lovely.

They "make" your two monitors one huge monitor so maximizing will band across both and if you have a lovely gpu it probably can't drive the resolution anyways.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Jeratain posted:

I have a 2011 iMac 27 with the SSD + HDD combo, and it's got a clean OSX Lion install on it (it does not have one of the known HDD issues that needs replacing). Sometimes it will start making a very subtle clicking noise (not the hard drive) that sounds like a metronome or something similar. It will sporadically start and stop. This does not sound normal for a computer.

Any ideas what this might be?

You sure it isn't the hard drive? That's typically the sound a hard drive makes when the heads have a seeking error.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLHq-5uUMx0 You can hear the seeking error in the background of this video.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
I'm getting so impatient for the little big disk and sad realizing it's going to be upwards of $800 for 250GB that I'm about to drop money on a ssd and just shove it inside my iMac.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

It's really not that difficult.

Well what I'm finding difficult is what freaking parts do I need? I've looked at tons of "guides" and people are like I BOUGHT THIS THIS THIS AND IT TURNS OUT NONE OF IT WORKED SO I DID THIS INSTEAD and decide to not picture the working solution.

Like for instance, I read that if I use a power splitter from the 3.5" to the SSD it breaks the temperature reader somehow and will cause the fans to spin full speed? I take it if I use that I need that $20 jumper thing for the temperature probe on the SSD?

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
I want to add it as a second drive which is why I'm wary of the process.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
So after some googling I came across this image:
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-AGzxVGKZsSo/TcGZ0P8CrKI/AAAAAAAAAB4/cYTIwSVmCYs/s1600/DSC_0690.JPG

If I'm understanding this image properly and my sys profiler SATA 0 is HDD, SATA 1 is SSD and SATA 2 would be the optical drive. That should mean if I can find a long rear end laptop cable with power & sata I could run it from SATA 1.

It also appears that there is only one "proprietary" power cable which goes for SATA 0 which is the hard drive. It's hard to judge from the images because nobody bothered to get close ups of the sensors but I think I wouldn't need a jumper for using SATA 1? Anyone with access to a service manual want to verify this for me?

Edit: after some heavy googlin I came across this thread: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1148641

It looks as though if you buy a really long 13 pin > 22 pin sata connector it will work in SATA 1 with SSD and not muck up temperature readings at all. Hooray!

flyboi fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Aug 11, 2011

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

You don't need a jumper if you're doing a second drive installation. You just need a SATA cable and one of these to split power.

Of course that's the hacked-together way. Using Apple parts is waaaay more complicated.

Everything I've read doing that screws up temperature read outs but I found a workaround that is verified to not gently caress up the fans so :toot:

Edit: and it appears this cable works I believe http://www.amazon.com/Slimline-pin-SATA-Female-Cable/dp/B0056OB8GK

flyboi fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Aug 11, 2011

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
I bought a Crucial M4 128GB :ohdear:

I'm going to put this in my MBP as it looks like there might be stuttering issues and move the 128GB C300 in my MBP to my iMac as I have had 0 issues with that drive and swapping drives around and poo poo is MUCH easier on the MBP. Cables and all should be here next Friday wish me luck!

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Bob Morales posted:

To be fair that would happen on a Mac Pro.

Pretty sure even my 2011 MacBook Pro will lag in MS Word. It is a terrible program. I've forced myself to use iWork because it isn't as bad.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

movax posted:

What version? It was instantaneous on my brother's 2011 MBA, and it's up and running in seconds usually on my 2010 MBP w/ 5400rpm HDD. (Office 2011). Totally agree that previous versions on OS X sucked rear end though.

Office 2011. It 'works' but it's a single-threaded application and it shows if you do any sort of actual intensive work in office. Typing letters will work fine but if you say need to run macros or edit massive documents any 2011 app chugs horribly.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

movax posted:

I thought SWSP reported that his 2011 MBA was not working with his 2010 iMac when it came to Target Display Mode, but I may be wrong.

Thunderbolt devices will not work with non-thunderbolt in target display I believe.

Edit: I AM WRONG https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3206261?start=0&tstart=0

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Scarf posted:

I have a 2008 dual quad Mac Pro, and my GPU just died on me. Looking at replacements and I was going to grab a Radeon HD 5750 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814129146).

Any reason this would NOT work in my machine?

Yes, it doesn't have the EFI bios. It will work fine in Windows but you will have headache/fan problems in OSX. Your best bet is to buy one from Apple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Got my cable for my SSD, suction cup thingy comes tomorrow and my SSD comes day after :toot: