Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Welp;

Too bad i didn't seat the drat ODD properly and now it won't eject :saddowns:

Guess I know what I'm doing tomorrow god damnit.

flyboi fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Aug 16, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Ok I'm impatient. I fixed it. Turns out theres two plastic "guide nubs" when you mount the fucker that I missed. Woops. And I forgot to put the EMI tape back on again but there's a hair behind the glass so I'll gently caress with that tomorrow FOR REAL

Off to install lion on the ssd :shepface:

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Should I be worried that HDD is 1C? I see that the actual hard drive reports the temperature properly. Can someone with a 2011 iMac check their sensors in istatmenus for me?

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

japtor posted:

Can't answer that question but will raise another, should you be worried that your SSD isn't reporting a temperature? I've heard not all drives report it through SMART so that might be it I guess.

And those temps are so much lower than on my Mini :saddowns:

It probably isn't reported because it isn't one of the sensors the iMac uses to judge fan speed. Also SSDs don't report temperature via SMART so HEH.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Putting the SSD in my iMac was the best decision ever. Pain in my rear end but gently caress does this own. Also my fans have been working properly all day and I got the hair out of the glass and put the EMI tape back on. :toot:

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

moron posted:

Yesterday i put a Crucial M4 SSD in my Mac Pro 1,1 and, holy poo poo, what an awesome upgrade. it's like a new computer.

I was very concerned about the number of posts I read online from people saying the various SSDs caused horrible problems in Mac Pros, but this one has been awesome so far. I really can't recommend it enough.

I just got mine and put it in my MBP which used to have a C300 that is in my iMac now. I never restored from a full time machine backup but wow was it painless to swap them around.

Won't get to be able to test the M4 for a bit though unfortunately :(

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
My iMac came with a 1TB WD Black but it was still too slow for me... I have also been on the SSD bandwagon for 2 years now though so I could be spoiled.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
That blows the 3rd party people in my area told me to shove a SSD in my 2011 iMac myself because otherwise I'd be spending a fortune and they'd still cover it under warranty.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
It also doesn't do HD benchmarking. I'm in the same boat though, I can't find a good benchmark util for my SSD.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Did you check your sensors to make sure they're reporting properly?

Edit: your post made me double-check my sensors in istatsmenu and the 0C HDD sensor is gone now. Must've been a bug in the software :toot:

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

MrEnigma posted:

Edit: hmm, everything appears to be reporting a temp. Would it just show N/A if it couldn't?

On my MBP at least when the discreet gpu is disabled the ambient sensor reads -256C. I would imagine if you had sensor issues it would do something similar. If you go into sys information and click Diagnostics does it say Passed?

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Perhaps, but the SMC should've reset when you were doing the upgrade since it was unplugged for so long. You could try resetting it by unplugging the machine and holding the power button for 10 seconds.

Edit: also http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1433

flyboi fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Aug 21, 2011

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Were you using Celsius or Fahrenheit to display your temperatures? Because if that's Celsius something's wrong with your sensors.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
I talked with my friend who repairs Apples for a living. He said to check all your sensors and make sure they're actually plugged in properly and seated. More than likely the ODD sensor isn't plugged in or seated properly which is causing the problem. He said that even though it's one sensor it can cause all the fans to go out of control.

Also comparing to my menu it looks like you might want to check your LCD cables as I don't see a proximity sensor listed on yours.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Are you talking about the cable with the swing arm? I *think* you can swap that out but I accidentally deleted the official manual my friend let me get. If it's working I say just never open it again personally HEH

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

SpoonsForThought posted:

Sadly there are really no details. I just want it to be less than $200 and can take a full sized card.

Keep dreaming there won't be a $200 thunderbolt device for years.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Hot drat. There's a like new (new battery, new top case) black MacBook in SA-Mart. I want it. I miss mine.

You have a 2010 iMac and a 2011 MacBook air :catstare:

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

SourKraut posted:

I'm not quite sure you understand just how amazingly-sexy black Apple notebooks are. I really, really wish Apple still had them (even if just offered as BTO at an additional cost).

Maybe, but my 2011 mbp is so sexy I could never justify using a plastic-based laptop ever again... And I'm a Lenovo convert who thought magnesium top cases were the bees knees

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Working for a vendor who supplies parts for Apple and having pretty intricate knowledge of their qual process compared to other OEMs, I find that hard to believe. Not all RAM is created equal, and I expect Apple uses slightly better modules than what Fry's gives out for free after rebate.

That said, this a pointless derail. He can try the RAM. If it works, super. If not, RAM is cheap. I was just throwing my anecdotal evidence into the ring as "it's worked for me every time." I guess I've gotten lucky with the stock sticks in my Apple machines.

I just wanted to stick my ugly face in this rant and say that the ram from my 2011 MBP worked fine in my 2009 Mini. It even runs at 1333 MHz :shepface:

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

King of all Machines Operate posted:

Has anyone added a hard drive to the 2011 27'' SSD iMac? What sorts of cables and stuff would I need? All the guides online are from people installing SSDs.

In other news, I ordered a 3.4 i7/4gb ram/1gb video card iMac off the refurb store but for some reason it came with a 2gb card and 8gb of ram. I've randomly gotten upgraded specs after a logic board replacement before so I wonder if this is a normal thing

Adding in a platter hd is much more difficult than the SSD after-market. The problem is that Apple moved the temperature sensors from a sensor that sat on top of the hard drive to inside the firmware of the drive. This means that any after-market HD if it is not approved for the 2011 iMac will make the fans spin out of control. The SSD-only iMacs have a jumper installed on the power cable for the platter hd that disable the fan entirely which is not ideal for people that want to have an actual hard drive in there.

With that said you're going to need a drive with the proper firmware, a set of 4 mounting screws (T6 nubs can probably get from iFixIt) and possibly a new cable. Let me grab the repair manual for the 2011 iMac and I'll get back to you. I'm kind of busy at the moment but I can give you a list of part numbers of everything you need if my previous statement didn't deter you.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Well you're not going to have much luck doing this, you need a HDD Data and power cable, a bracket (all of which don't have part numbers) and 2 T10 replacement screws (922-9136) and 2 T10 screw pins (922-7001)

You would be better off with a FW800 drive as the performance hit wouldn't be too terrible and won't require you completely disassembling your mac to route new cables to a hard drive that will make your system run the fans at full blast.

Edit: HD Data 922-9851
HD Power
Bracket, Hard Drive 922-9135
Hard Drive 661-5952 1TB, 661-5953 2TB
HD Fan 922-9872

Doesn't have the HD Power cable anywhere though.

flyboi fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Sep 23, 2011

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Considering the LaCie little big dick still isn't out I have minimal faith in thunderbolt devices. Also lol iPhone knows LaCie how hilarious is that?

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Holy poo poo. I'm glad I went ahead and shoved my own SSD in my iMac

http://store.apple.com/us/product/H7115ZM/A?fnode=MTY1NDA0Nw&mco=MjU1NDIyOTE&s=newest

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Anywhere I can get a replacement switch-blade end for the charger? I seem to have lost that connector :(

Edit: drat cat. I'll have to check her hoarding spots in the future :o:

flyboi fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Sep 26, 2011

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
While I don't mind the gloss look the glare is greatly noticeable on my iMac versus my Samsung matte displays. (PX2370, not cheapo poo poo matte panels)

I've grown used to the glare but it is noticeable until the sun goes down any time of day and my windows are facing South. Window is on the wall to the right of the picture. You can see it in the glare on the bezel of the matte display.

Edit: derp I failed first grade and don't know left from right

flyboi fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Oct 3, 2011

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

movax posted:

I thought some of the earlier WiFi chipsets simply lacked the hardware/software required for the subset of 802.11n features that Apple uses to implement AirDrop?

They do
http://www.hardmac.com/news/2011/08/03/list-of-airdrop-compatible-macs

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

~Coxy posted:

Apparently if you order your iMac from Apple without SSD, then you have neither the mounts nor the cables to add one at a later date.

You can order in those items for an overpriced sum of money of course, or assuming you want to add in an SSD then you can use double sided tape and any old short SATA cable.

http://blog.chargedpc.com/2011/05/2011-imac-ssd-install-guide.html

Yeah I know this is old but that's a terrible guide. I actually did this myself being frustrated and have a SSD installed with no fan issues and it works properly.

You get this cable http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0056OB8GK/ref=oh_o02_s00_i00_details which you plug into SATA1 on the logic board. Fish that cable so that it goes to where the optical drive goes, plug your SSD in and use some two-sided tape to attach to the optical drive. Doing a Y cable off the platter HD will gently caress your fans up and make them spin at full blast.

Yes, it's ghetto but it's how Apple does it sans-mount and so long as you don't break anything Apple will still cover all other parts of your iMac under warranty.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Battlefield 3 runs at high settings on 720p at 30fps on the 2011 base iMac so wtfever :o:

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

I guess this just came out, since it just showed up on my Air but can't find a news story about it anywhere.

INTERNET RECOVERY ALL THE 2011S!!!! It also showed the same kind of deal on my 2011 MBP. Also since it says "early 2011" I wonder if they're bumping up the iMacs too :ohdear:

Also this is new to me:

I am pretty sure I have the GM of iTunes 10.5 because software update claims it's up to date. Can someone with retail iTunes 10.5 check? I'm running 10.5b132

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Molten Llama posted:

Build 141 is release.

Thanks you guys for checking. Just installed retail and the message went away.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Aardark posted:

I suppose those of you who haven't had problems are much more careful with it, don't move your computer around a lot, or are simply lucky, but the MagSafe being a crappy product is not exactly a minority opinion. Check out some reviews: http://store.apple.com/us/reviews/MC461LL/A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5x5szE3XHb8

Not that hard to not break them. I've never had an issue and I travel frequently.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Don't use an external drive for swap/scratch space. That will hamper performance greatly.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

personaljesus posted:

Question on SSD installation...

I recently got a new iMac 27 couple weeks ago. Now I am regretting not having purchased the SSD along with it. I called the Apple Store (in SoHo, NYC) and they told me that they didn't provide installation service, and I should have purchased it with the SSD.

So, other than me buying an SSD and installing it myself, do I have any other options? I don't really mind installing it myself, but I am worried that would break my warranty.

It won't break your warranty, just Apple will not service anything involving that SSD. If you search my posts in this thread you'll see where I found the necessary items and a guide I went off of to install a SSD in mine.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Mu Zeta posted:

They don't consider the hard drive a user replaceable part. Just don't mess anything up though and they won't know you replaced it. Keep in mind it's best to take the SSD out if you ever bring in the iMac for service.

We've had this discussion multiple times and I've even asked Apple techs regarding this. So long as you don't break anything installing it and the drive itself is not the cause or related to the issue at hand, they won't care about it.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
I'm sorry but a 15" 1080p display would be horrible unless you use magnifying glasses when you compute and like straining to read regular-sized text. Then again bigger numbers = better right? right? :awesome:

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
QUESTION TIME TIME FOR QUESTION!

So I am not very happy with how my 2011 iMac performs with games, just the base one but it's hard to get 30 fps in most-anything. I was toying with the idea of building a i5-2500k w/ a radeon 9770 but then I came across http://www.dvwarehouse.com/Video-Card-AMD-Radeon-HD-6970M-2GB-for-iMac-27-Mid-2011-661-5969---NEW-p-40083.html

How is the 6970M in the iMac? It'd be half the cost of building a secondary box just to play BF3/Skyrim/Diablo 3 and I could actually use the 27" monitor rather than my 23" 1080p monitors for the games. Is the fps in the 6970M significantly better? My iMac has the 512MB 6770M and it just blows.

Edit: according to anandtech you can't get 60FPS on ultra w/ native res on SC2 and Diablo 3 is really what I'm wanting to play so I guess that answers what I need to do.

flyboi fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Nov 20, 2011

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Anyone that's been watching apple store - have upgraded minis been popping up at all? I need one with the radeon gpu.

Also, what is Apple's policy on returning refurb stuff? I am setting up HDHomerun Prime and it hates my 2009 Mini, bsods ahoy. So I'm thinking of getting a 2011 mini and trying it to see how it functions. I got a deal where I can get 12 months 0% apr through my barclaycard if I go through Apple Store so whatever.

My worries is if the 2011 BSODs the same that I'm boned and stuck with a pile of useless rear end.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
So on my 2011 iMac every once in a while my external monitors will get static on them. Then eventually they go full on colored tv static until I unplug and plug the monitors back in. I had this issue as well on my 2006 Mac Pro where the conclusion was that for some reason or another the 5770 did not like having 3 monitors that were not display port hooked up at the same time. These monitors are hooked up over DVI through a converter which makes me wonder if I need to get display port-capable monitors, and if it would even fix my issue.

Thoughts? Are there any monitors that are mini display port that AREN'T the apple display?

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Binary Badger posted:

Reset the SMC? Reset PRAM with the four finger salute? At least twice? Made sure you ran the combo updater for 10.7.3?

I reset the SMC. I noticed that on the converter for my mini-dp to dvi there was a smidgin of give so I went through all my cables and tightened them up as far as they could go. So far no static so we shall see. If it continues PRAM it is.

Also gently caress about that HP monitor :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

AbsoluteLlama posted:

I don't have this problem. I have my MBA hooked up via DP to my HP ZR2440w. TBH I've never really had any issues whatsoever with any of my mac hardware. I guess the ghost of Steve Jobs hasn't come to haunt my computer yet.

I have had a Lenovo monitor (at work.. I'd never buy one of those POS monitors for myself) freak out over DVI connected to a mac. The monitor software would freeze or something, requiring resetting the power on the monitor. Swapping out the monitor fixed it so I don't think it was the mac.

It only seems to happen in OSX for me at least if I have >2 monitors. For example the Mac Pro would never do it with two monitors attached but once you attached the third it would happen. Same seems to be for this issue on my iMac so that's likely why you haven't seen it on the MBA.