Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Regarding SSDs, I admittedly haven't done too much research in this regard when it comes to OS X, but is it possible to buy the TRIM-capable SSDs that Apple uses/provides support for in Lion, commercially?

Or can we get a list going or link perhaps to a list of SSDs that are TRIM supported in Lion, since I'm guessing SSD usage will only increase with time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

japtor posted:

The only ones that I know of are the OEM Apple drives. To get it working with others there was some hack (I think it essentially added your drive to a whitelist, or just opened up the whitelist completely) but there's no official support afaik.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

The only one that Apple sells aftermarket is the 500GB SSD for the Mac Pro. It's $1300.

pipebomb was selling one in SA-Mart a couple weeks ago though! :shobon:

Bah, that sucks. Well hopefully compatibility improves, as long-term I would like to simply throw a SSD into the MBP and have TRIM supported. :(

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

MrChupon posted:

Kind of a related question:

Does having WiFi on but not connected eat battery? I'm sometimes with my laptop in places that just don't have WiFi (like my grandpa in-laws house.) I've never thought to actually turn off the AirPort in the menu bar, I just let it sit there unconnected. Am I wasting battery while it polls for occasional nearby hotspots or something?

Having the WiFi on means that your wireless adapter's antenna is on and scanning/waiting to connect and transmit/etc. It won't use nearly as much power as if it's connected (since it's not actively transmitting regularly), but it's still consuming some power. I doubt it's that much power though.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Auriak posted:

Speaking of RAM, what is the difference between DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) and DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666)? Will my 2011 MBP recognize both? If so, is there any noticeable performance difference between the two or should I just go with whichever is cheapest at the moment?
Your MBP should recognize both, although it'll rate the 10666-rated RAM down to 10600. It's a very marginal difference in performance (essentially 66 MB/s more in bandwidth, out of a bandwidth of 10,666 MB/s).

Ultimately: go with what's cheapest for DDR3 1333 that's also a decent brand/etc.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

movax posted:

Interested to hear some reports from goons who've hooked up their Airs to an external display.
This does have me a little worried, since I'm waiting on my 2011 13" MBP to come in, and I was planning on connecting the MBP to my 24" 1920x1200 display at home (while still having the display on the MBP going too, for dual-screen effect). :(

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

natlampe posted:

You should be fine, I think.

http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/specs-13inch.html

Yeah, the primary reason I'm concerned is just due to what some reviewers (such as that Anand quote) commented on regarding high-resolution displays and a GPU with dedicated vRAM being desirable.

I do plan on upping the memory to 8GB right away though, and apparently increasing the memory to 8GB also bumps up the allocated shared RAM to the HD3000 from 384 to 512 MB. Not much, but every little bit helps. :D

Bob Morales posted:

If not, you can get a 8GB upgrade (which would take your iMac to 12GB) for $39.99 with a free 4G USB drive and free shipping from NewEgg

If you're referring to the G.Skill deal, I think it's dead now (as it no longer shows the free 4GB flash drive, and now shows $54.99 for the RAM).

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

As long as you're not talking about hooking it up to a 24" Cinema Display, you should be fine.

The 24" ACD is moderately hosed connecting to Thunderbolt Mac's and Apple really doesn't know how to handle it still.
Oh, thankfully mine isn't a 24" ACD (though I wouldn't mind if it were...). It's just an HP monitor. Has DisplayPort though so figured I'd pick up a miniDP-> DP cable.

Canned Sunshine fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jul 28, 2011

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

I have a friend who is thinking of picking up a 13" MBP for school, and I've been able to answer most questions, but they asked about whether the i5 is sufficient (they're a architectural major, so it'd probably be stuff like AutoCad, etc.), or if they should pay extra for the i7.

I see that the i7 Turbos up higher, is slightly-faster in terms of the HD3000 on-board graphics, and has some features (I'm guessing they wouldn't use) such as AES-NI and such. Is the i7 worth the upgrade cost?

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

dissss posted:

I just don't think 1280x800 is enough screen resolution for stuff like Autocad - something else to consider anyway. As far as CPU goes the I5s are still blazingly fast, doubt it'll be much of an issue.

movax posted:

I'd tell him to get the 13" Air, simply because it has a much, much better screen (1440x900 in 13" vs. 1280x800 in 13") that will pay off for apps like AutoCAD. The i5 in the 13" MBA should more than enough.

Thanks for the suggestions! He does have a 20" monitor already with his older desktop, and was thinking of connecting the MBP (or the MBA) to it. Not sure how much he'd be in AutoCAD while on the go, but I can ask.

He also interns with a firm, so that's partly why I'm guessing he's been doing more in AutoCAD.

For my own MBP:

Bob Morales mentioned how someone could throw a Scorpio in to boost the performance (down the road I'll go with an SSD once costs come down for larger drives), but I've heard the Scorpio Black 320 has issues with vibrations? What about the 500GB Scorpio Blue?

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

fleshweasel posted:

Why did you even gently caress around with it for so long before taking it to the apple store?
Because he uses it for work and thus being able to isolate and fix the problem on his own would yield significantly less down time than if Apple has to repair it?

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

SpoonsForThought posted:

I'm a senior architecture student and I plan on picking up the 13" Air this summer to allow me to be more mobile so I can get out of studio every once in a while! However, the 13" Air will compliment my i5 desktop Hackintosh that I use when I need more muscle.

The Air even with its HD3000 will run AutoCAD, Revit, Rhino, Maya and the Adobe suite fine. If the 13" Air is going to be their primary machine for next few years in school the i7 could potentially be worth it if he sees himself doing renders on the machine. The extra 10% increase in performance could shave some serious time when he is crunched for it.

Depending on his media library size, he will probably want to move to the 256 GB SSD simply because once they end up installing all the required programs and most likely BootCamp he will appreciate the extra space. I have a 120 GB HD on my older Macbook and with the Adobe Suite installed, 20GB of music and no bootcamp I'm already pushing for space.

I'd recommend if money is more flexible and they only want to use 1 computer he might want to look at the 15" Pro simply because its 6XXX card is leagues above the HD3000 and it by default comes with more storage space.

Students don't pay drafters to do their work?

AutoCAD is still widely used by students. I've used it for every project.

My friend ended up going to an Apple store this past weekend, and so now he's deciding between paying a bit extra for the 15" Pro, or going with the 13" top-end Air upgraded to the i7. At least for a couple of years it'll probably be his main system, so he's going to spend this weekend apparently deciding on which to go with, and probably pick it up next weekend.

So my own 13" MBP arrived, but I haven't opened it yet because I'm deciding whether it'd be worth it to return it for a 13" upgraded to the i7. I haven't seen a lot of reviews comparing the two and what I could find was limited. is the i7 worth it in the 13" MBP?

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

For $300 (25% of a $1199 laptop!) I wouldn't bother. Unless you're going to use it to run Cinebench and Photoshop all day. Buy $300 worth of Apple stock and then just buy a new one in 3 years.
Ah, thanks for the input! I mean, I use software like ArcGIS, some hydrological modeling software, and even the occasional AutoCAD myself, but I also have a rather nice gaming PC that can do a lot of the heavy stuff when necessary, and the MBP 13" is mostly for on-the-go, quick work, so I've mostly been thinking the i5 should suffice.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Binary Badger posted:

Hey, different levels of service at different stores.

My friend took her iMac to the Fruit Stand at the Palisades Mall with a bad power supply, they met her at the Cheesecake Factory entrance and helped carry the machine up to the store. About 90 minutes later she got it back with a nice clean screen too. YMMV..

Is your friend cute? That could have something to do with it too...

Though I've always had good experiences at the Chandler and Phoenix Biltmore stores here. Never been to the Scottsdale location, but guessing there's a huge cloud of *smug* present (since it's Scottsdale).

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Auriak posted:

Thanks! I missed it by just a few minutes last time. Just placed my order but I didn't see anything about a flash drive.

Did you see it listed on the page prior to purchase (and then not see it in the cart/on the checkout page?).

If so, apparently some people who had seen the flash drive listed as being included, but then not included in the cart, have been able to contact Newegg's Live Chat and get $5 refunded back from the purchase price.

I saw the flash drive listed, but it wasn't in my cart, so right now I'm in queue for live chat waiting for a CSR. If i end up being able to get a credit back I'll let you know.

KidDynamite posted:

It's actually not the same ram. So does anyone know if that matters?

That 10666 DDR3 would almost certainly be down-clocked in to 10600 anyway, so either set of RAM should work fine.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

SourKraut posted:

I saw the flash drive listed, but it wasn't in my cart, so right now I'm in queue for live chat waiting for a CSR. If i end up being able to get a credit back I'll let you know.

And... no such luck in getting the order discounted slightly or the flash drive sent in the future. :(

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

MrEnigma posted:

Also, I saw the page said I was supposed to get the flash drive, but it wasn't added to my order. In talking to the live chat person, she said I can contact them when the flash drives come back in stock, and I'll get them.
Really? I guess I'll have to give that a try then, since the Live Chat person I talked to with basically told me "sorry, it's out of stock, you're SOL". I can never have enough flash drives lying around..

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Corbet posted:

I think we paid close to $2500 for our 333 MHz Pentium 2 with 4GB of hard drive space and a DVD drive.

...that was only 14 years ago. I feel old.

If that's the PowerBook G3 as I recall, it's around 1999/2000.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

I'd much rather carry my new 13" Air when I go shooting instead of my old 15" MBP. My bag's already loaded down with lenses, lighting, a tripod, and other miscellaneous crap. Every pound saved is precious to me if I'm going to be wearing it all day.

Should have been a geologist, that'd have gotten you used to carrying heavy loads all day. :smug:

But seriously, both the 11" and 13" Airs are so much lighter than even the 13" MBP, at least when I lift each up. The 13" Air did tempt me...

e: Admittedly, pretty much any of them are lighter compared to the 17" Dell XPS I used to carry around. What really sucked about that was that the battery would only last for 2- 2 1/2 hours, so if I was going to be out longer than that (which usually I was), I had to bring the adapter with, and that weighed a decent bit too.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Shin-chan posted:

Yeah, considering my SSD was only a $5 difference for 6Gb/s over 3Gb/s.

I think he's referring to a mechanical HDD for the $80 more at 6 GB/s comment. As others have mentioned, a traditional HDD can't even saturate 3 GB/s, much less 6 GB/s, so it's an unnecessary upgrade.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Those drives usually have other benefits than just negotiation speed: longer warranty, more cache, etc.

But I'm still not sure what drives he's comparing.

That's true, though the only 2.5-inch 6 GB/s HDDs I could find are enterprise-level, which from what I can tell wouldn't even likely fit in his MBP.

I'm really curious now to see what drives he was looking at too.

Shin-chan posted:

I understand this, that's why I commented what I did. If it's only a $5 difference on an SSD, I can't believe it would add $80 to a HDD.
If he's looking at enterprise-level drives (as I'm suspecting), they come with other improvements that contribute towards the cost increase: higher rotational speeds, the larger cache sizes, etc.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Shin-chan posted:

^What he said.

But what I've been trying to say was that between two otherwise identical SSDs, there was only a $5 for the SATA-III model over the SATA-II model.
Yes, I understand your argument. However, until we know for sure what drives he's referring to, all we have to go off of is the fact that he looked at a 3 GB/s 2.5-inch drive, and a 6 GB/s 2.5-inch drive, and found a "$80 difference". Now, if you go out and try to search for 2.5-inch 6 GB/s drives, all you'll probably find are enterprise-class drives, with greater feature sets.

There is literally no "these two drives are identical, except one is 3 GB/s and the other 6 GB/s" for 2.5-inch mechanical drives, and thus you can't make the same comparison as you did with your SSD. The closest it appears you can get is the Seagate consumer-focused Momentus line to that of the Seagate Constellation line, but the Constellation line offers double the cache, 6 GB/s thoroughput, etc. Ultimately, all of the enterprise-class drives are more expensive because they offer other benefits besides "SATA-II vs. SATA-III". There simply aren't two identical-except-SATA speed drives for the argument to be comparative.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

MrEnigma posted:

So my kindle with special offers just gave me a 20% off laptops code at amazon, was planning on selling it but the terms of it forbid it, so does this mean I should buy a low end macbook air?

Unfortunately they are all the previous models:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=amb_lin...&rnid=562215011

Low end Macbook Air for 834 - 20% - 3% back on Amazon visa, we're down in the low $600's...

Can you try it on one of the newer systems? I read that some were able to with success.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

wolffenstein posted:

Lion will only run on Core 2 Duo and Core i-series processors.
Actually you can get Lion to run on Core Solo/Core Duo systems...

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

japtor posted:

They took out nearly all the 32-bitness so I imagine it'd be a massive pain in the rear end at this point...now if you were talking about upgrading the CPU on it, then yeah that works. It's a big enough pain in the rear end that I'd suggest just paying a bit more for a C2D model.
From what I've seen/read, they didn't take out any "32-bitness" in so much as Apple artificially locked out Lion from installing purely via a software check of system. There's apparently an installation method for installing to an external drive, deleting PlatformSupport.plist, and such.

Edit - Hmm, yeah, there may be limitations on this actually...

Canned Sunshine fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Aug 7, 2011

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

I really, really hope a Thunderbolt ViDock does get released. It'd be great to use it with my 13" MBP when I have it connected to an external display.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

El Jackalope posted:

I'm going to assume this is hardware related:

I've upgraded my 2008 24" iMac to Lion, and all has been great on it since day 1 (although I wish I could upgrade the ram beyond 4 gb) until earlier today. I realized that I accidentally left my usb stick drive at work and wanted to transfer some files from the iMac to my new MBA, so I thought it was a perfect opportunity to use AirDrop. Unfortunately, on my old iMac, I have no option to turn airdrop on, nor does it even show up in the sidebar of any finder window. Is this because the hardware is too old?

It appears your iMac is too old, as this AirDrop support page on Apple's site seems to indicate that only iMacs from early 2009 or newer are supported.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

As an aside, has anyone compared the 24" or 27" ACD's to the equivalent Dell side by side? I'm not terribly confident that Apple will be able to fix the issue with thunderbolt macs on the 24" ACD (as it's been around since the first thunderbolt Macbooks Pro,) so I'm considering just selling the ACD and picking up a U2412M (and a webcam, I guess.)

In this case the "equivalent" Dell to your 24" ACD (if it's the 24" LED ACD) would probably be the U2410, as both are H-IPS panels and appear to be slight variations of an LG panel: LM240WU4-SLB1 in the Dell U2410, and LM240WU6-SDA1 in the 24" ACD.

The Dell U2412M is now their more budget-focused model, as it uses an e-IPS display (and a 6-bit panel with FRC). It just came out, so not sure how easy it is to find someone who can compare the two.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

movax posted:

I just read that earlier today, very good and in-depth review, yet another reason why I'll stick with Anand for reviews. Smart choice on Apple's part to move to modular PCIe cards; they can really save on PCB costs and just keep upgrading the module.

The only issue I have with Anand's reviews is that it seemed like he often down-played issues that, had it been another company, he'd have railed on them for. For example, he lightly commented on what is essentially a lack of QuickSync support when Apple moved the MBP's to Sandy Bridge, even though it'd be perfect for something such as iMovie, and didn't really mark Apple off for it. Or not really being concerned with how Apple implemented the special connectors for hard drives in the iMac to prevent users from adding in additional drives, etc.

Other than that though, I do typically like his reviews, and in all fairness since he's been having the reviews be worked on by multiple people (including himself), I think they've been more objective.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Chemmy posted:

I'll live without BF3, I have an Xbox. I'll probably buy an Air tomorrow on the way home from work.

I know everyone has kinda already touted the "Air" horn since, well, it's the new sparkling thing to want, but out of curiosity: how long would you likely keep it, and does portability come into effect at all?

If you do plan on keeping it awhile, and portability isn't a concern, I would almost say go with the refurb 15" Sandy Bridge MBP. The quad-core i7 will likely last a decent-bit longer performance wise into the future than the i5 or i7 available for the 13" Air, and while it's not the greatest, the performance of the discrete GPU (Radeon 6490M) in the entry-level 15" MBP is still quite a bit ahead of the HD3000.

Plus, you can always either swap out the existing HDD for an SSD, or even remove the optical drive and put an SSD in for a SSD+ HDD combo. Also throw in the ability to double the RAM to 8 GB (versus being fixed at 4 GB with the Air), and if you do plan on having it for any lengthy period of time, personally that's what I'd go with.

If however it's mostly just for a year or two, yeah, go with the Air.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Chemmy posted:

Portability's not a huge deal in that I drive to work and have an iPad to travel light.

However I'm not really a power user. I'm an engineer in the semiconductor industry by trade so my work keeps me swimming in bleeding edge computer hardware and in terms of keeping laptops I generally keep them a while but only because I'm not much of a "power user" on my home PC.

There's nothing wrong with my current 2.2 C2D, I just think it still has value to sell so I might as well upgrade because the money isn't a big deal for me right now.

In terms of "desktop replacement" it'd be my only computer but I bought my wife a 13" MacBook Pro (she really wanted an optical drive) last week. I think my main dilemma is screen size. New high res 15 MBP is more pixels than my current MBP.

Honestly since portability doesn't matter at all, I would advocate going with one of the refurb 15" MBPs if possible. The high res 15" MBP does have more pixels, but is that something you'd specifically want, or is the standard option acceptable? Ultimately, I would almost say just replace the optical drive with a 128 GB SSD for the OS and applications, use the included HDD as a media/storage drive, and take comfort in that the system will last a rather long time in terms of new OS X releases and such.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Evil Granny posted:

It's that strange DVI/Firewire/USB2/DC power tentacled beast.

An ADC connector?

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

japtor posted:

Pretty sure it's just dual link DVI.

Yeah, you're right. It's just that combo dual link DVI cable. In that case, I'd imagine a simple DVI switch would work well enough?

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Just catching up with this since I wanted to reply but didn't want to type it all out on my phone. If I cared about specs that much or price-performance optimization, I generally wouldn't be buying a Mac. I had a 15.4" i7 MBP before the new Air, so I know what I gave up. To me, the portability is way more useful than the extra horsepower. I have a quad-core iMac for the heavy lifting. The Air is never going to be in the sweetspot of the price/performance ratio, but that's because you're paying for subjective qualities like portability.

That said, this is my 4th Apple laptop since I switched to Macs 5 years ago, and my 6th Mac in total. I average more than one machine purchase a year, if that answers your question on how long I keep my machines. Although, the previous machines never quite fit their roles as well as I would have liked and I think I've finally found a balance between my 27" iMac, MacBook Air, and iPhone 4.
Given your turn-around time on new Macs though, I could see how the Air would be an ideal fit, plus you do have the iMac for heavier usage.

Chemmy though seemed to alude to keeping machines for awhile, so if it's 2-3 years+, wouldn't the 15" quad i7 MBP be better, especially with the limited (but greater than the Air) options for expandability? Plus he mentioned having an iPad for light traveling usage.

Edit - Oh, and I think he mentioned whatever system he buys will be his primary machine outside of work.

Canned Sunshine fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Aug 11, 2011

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

movax posted:

I have the high-res 15" matte, I think it's criminal to get the 15" at its stock resolution. If you have a fruit stand nearby, ask them to show you the high-res side-by-side with the regular screen so you can make the best decision.

For Chemmy (and anyone else who's been considering it): 2011 15" MBPs with the upgraded screen appeared today in the Apple Store's Refurb list at a cost of $1,649.00. I'd have directly linked it but not sure if that's allowed.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Why wouldn't it be? :psyduck:

Oh in the past I've seen where people were concerned about linking to SA Mart pages where they were selling stuff, so wasn't sure if it was against rules or such. Good to know for the future that it's ok!

Oh hey, one question for you (and anyone else), since I didn't see it really get answered earlier: is the i7 upgrade in the 13" MacBook Pro worth it over the i5?

Canned Sunshine fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Aug 11, 2011

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

japtor posted:

I figure it's debatable if you need as much CPU as possible. More cache along with ~17% faster base and turbo clock (2.9 vs 3.4ghz), and 1.3 vs 1.2ghz GPU clock according to Intel. There's also some other CPU features but I'm not sure how many matter for the Mac (right now at least) except AES, which is used to accelerate FileVault drive encryption if you plan to use that.

Intel's site comparing the two: http://ark.intel.com/compare/52231,52224
I'd probably just look out for the i7 on the refurb site if I decided to get it.

Thanks for the link! That's a nice featureset comparison.

Yeah, I had picked up a refurb 13" MBP, but haven't opened the box yet because I've seen the i7 13" come up a few times for about $250 more, so debating as to whether return the i5 and get the i7 instead.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

qbert posted:

Edit: Nevermind, I was thinking of the Airs.

Yeah, from Anand and others' reviews of the Airs, if I were getting a MBA I'd definitely go for the i7 given the performance increase.

But it's been really difficult to track down a decent comparison between the i5 and i7 in the 13" MBP. Anand's review last March of the 13" and 15" MBPs used a i7-equipped MBP but no i5. :(

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

KidDynamite posted:

Why not just get the i7 13" MBA? It's only $100 more and is probably quicker because of the SSD.

I'd like to upgrade it to 8 GB of RAM (already have the RAM as well), which also boosts up the HD3000 GPU to 512MB shared.

My plan was to initially swap out the default HDD for either the 500 GB Scorpio Black or the Hitachi Travelstar 500 GB 7200 RPM, then later this year put an optibay in with an SSD as the OS/application drive.

With regards to the screen, it's my understanding that while the 13" MBP's resolution is lower, the quality of the screen itself is a good bit superior to the MacBook Airs'.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

movax posted:

Hm, I hadn't heard that. They're all TN panels :smith: but at least the 13" MBA panels deliver a resolution appropriate for their size.

Yeah, I've seen Anand and others mention it in their reviews. Anand's review, for example:

Anandtech posted:

Where the Air stops filling its bigger brother's shoes is in viewing angles and color gamut. The MacBook Air uses a lower quality TN panel than what's in the MacBook Pro, causing viewing angles to suffer.

I went to one of the Apple stores to take a look, and I could see the difference in both the viewing angles (easily noticeable) and color (not quite so much).

Apparently though the Air had to use a cheaper TN panel to help keep costs down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Evil Granny posted:

Started looking into this, and was really floored by the prices. The cheapest DVI switcher I found that supports 2560x1600 is $347. (!!!)

http://www.amazon.com/ATEN-4-Port-Switch-Support-CS1644/dp/B002D1M0G6

Is there any risk of damage if I just go cheap & ghetto and unplug/replug the DVI cable when switching between Mac/PC as needed?

Didn't realize they'd be so expensive. As long as you're careful each time, unplugging and replugging should be ok.

What about an HDMI switch? I think those can be had for fairly cheap (such as $10-20), and you could simply use HDMI-> DVI adapters for connecting them?