Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Coldrice posted:

So I'm looking into new laptops, and thought I can' afford one yet I am considering a macbook. The question is which. Portability is a huge factor, so I am really attracted to these new macbook airs. The challenge is I need to do light photoshop work. Also, I want to play wow. Right now I play it on lowest settings on my crap acer, what would it look like on a macbook air?

What's a "crap acer"? I used to play WoW when it first came out on my old PowerBook G4 12 incher soo. Also I can run Photoshop just fine on the 2ghz C2D I have now so it shouldn't be an issue on any of the new Airs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Corbet posted:

I don't want to start a huge "OMG my _____ shipped", but has anyone's MacBook Air shipped from Apple.com yet? For some reason they're shipping the $100 gift card separately.

Yeah and one is with UPS and the other is FedEx. My MBA shipped today at some point, says it'll be here Friday...soo as long as you didn't get bamboozled into getting the i7 proc you should have the same arrival time.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

So basically max out your 11", for the 13, save you bucks and buy a sweet case (I got the bookbook).

If you're stressing about the speeds on the Airs, maybe snag a pro instead.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Electric Bugaloo posted:

How does the i7 compare to the best i5 on the MBAs? Is hyperthreading that important? I want it to replace my blackbook as my primary surfing/dicking around/basic work machine and I'd like to keep the 13" form factor- though I still haven't ruled out the 11" portability and price. It sucks that the i7 on the 13" is only available on the most spec'd out model, because I don't need that much memory/can't justify the price.

For the 11" get the i7, for the 13" get the i5 and use the money to get a cool case. For the 13 the i5 v i7 is really just epeen, if you *really* need an i7 you're better off getting a macbook pro or an iMac for the high powered stuff you'd need to justify getting it.

The bookbook case is cool as hell by the way.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

dexter6 posted:

Any case recommendations for the 11" MBA?

I have the bookbook case for the 13" and it's super cool!

http://twelvesouth.com/products/BookBook_for_Air/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

apple tv question. i want to use airplay, but i have a mid 2011 air, does that mean i can't do it? apple's site says 2012 or later.