Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dog Toggle Switch
May 16, 2006

mato posted:

Here's my favorite episode of my favorite show, Pussuma. If you haven't seen it before, I definitely recommend it!

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1390118576733669907

After watching this and a Gaki episode with him in it, I've come to the conclusion that Bob Sapp is actually a pretty funny dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vizrt
Oct 1, 2009

Grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brotha', I hurt people.

That Pussuma video with Bob Sapp was pretty good. Is there any legitimate source with subbed episodes? I couldn't seem to find anything during a cursory search.

Vizrt fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Sep 27, 2011

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

I've been really into Game Center CX for the past few months, since the SAGCCX team started working on it.

But now I'm hooked on Gaki. I just finished the Police Batsu game, and I don't think I've ever laughed harder in my life.

Dog Toggle Switch
May 16, 2006

Shlapintogan posted:

But now I'm hooked on Gaki. I just finished the Police Batsu game, and I don't think I've ever laughed harder in my life.

I don't know what it is, but the "Show-hei HEY!" when they're trying to go to sleep will make me laugh every time without fail.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Shlapintogan posted:

You'll have laughed harder upon watching the next Batsu game. And then the next Batsu game. And so on.

So we have GameCenter CX with a fair amount of videos courtesy of our own forum members doing translations. We have Downtown, but getting the videos is hit or miss due to how things are handled (I don't think there are hardsubbed copies available for most of their videos). We have Denpa Shonen, which is mysteriously gone from the universe except for a few clips without subtitles. And now we MIGHT have Pussuma, but we've only got that one episode there.

So what other programming is truly available to sink our teeth into?

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Dog Toggle Switch posted:

I don't know what it is, but the "Show-hei HEY!" when they're trying to go to sleep will make me laugh every time without fail.

I figure it's probably because it gets Hamada every last time it happens. There's also the bit where they have to listen to the medical examiner. She absolutely destroyed all three of them.

Crossposting this from the GCCX thread:

Zari-gani posted:

Good news for fans of Arino, Downtown and/or Japanese comedy in general: I got the raw video of the Friendly Downtown segment with Yoiko and will be translating it right away, if you're itching to see Arino cosplay and get abused by Japan's most popular comedic duo. The best part is when they go to a tsundere cafe.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Man I know the whole "LOL JAPAN SO CRAZY" is played out but I really do love how nutty Asian tv in general gets, while still actually trying to be a real show.Like that Absolutely Tasty show, it's like a show I'd imagine on Food Network, but the actual people on it are so over the top it makes it even better.

BooDoug187
Apr 8, 2005

Don't you fear the yetis in Rio?

Dog Toggle Switch posted:

Every time I see that part I lose it too! I think because they repeat the saying over and over and it seems like its always the second or third one that gets the laughs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jt3SWfUU2lo

Mantic
Oct 25, 2007
What always cracks me up is when Endo opens the drawers in the desk and its pictures of Chiaki dressed up as a policewoman, the other times when they do this are also pretty great. But the best is when in the latest one, The Spy no Batsu, they get pictures of a waitress that Endo first met and got her number while they were filming a segment.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Clicked and disappointed in lack of discussion of serious Japanese dramas :(

Kurosagi: The Black Swindler - Great show about a con man that cons con men.

Great Teacher Onizuka - Yeah it's based on a manga and there's an anime, but this is the best and by far most serious version (though it's also pretty funny quite often).

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

precision posted:

Dude this sounds awesome.

Regarding show-hei hey: Wasn't there another gag like that in a different No Laughing setting, where there was some guy repeating something over and over while they were sleeping? I think he was saying something about a mountain...

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011

FAT BATMAN posted:

Dude this sounds awesome.

Regarding show-hei hey: Wasn't there another gag like that in a different No Laughing setting, where there was some guy repeating something over and over while they were sleeping? I think he was saying something about a mountain...

Konyaga Yamada? I think its from the earlier batsu games (the two onsen ones+highschool).

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

Medieval Medic posted:

Konyaga Yamada? I think its from the earlier batsu games (the two onsen ones+highschool).

Konya... ga........... yamada? Kooooonyaaaagaaaa Yaaaaaamadaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

Haha oh man, that and Show-hei hey! always crack me up. I can't even count the number of times I've watched all the Batsu games so far. I'm really looking forward to this years and can't wait to see which setting they're gonna pull out of their hat this time. I hope it gets a timely and good fansub. The guy who used to be the best fansubber (quality wise, at least in my opinion) on the GNT forums decided to call it quits and moved on to other things after finishing up the Spy Batsu from last year.

They got some more translators and fansubbers over there but their quality is a little.. lacking sometimes. I suppose I'm just very spoilt with the really good translations and color coded subs and everything :shobon:

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

abraxas posted:

They got some more translators and fansubbers over there but their quality is a little.. lacking sometimes. I suppose I'm just very spoilt with the really good translations and color coded subs and everything :shobon:

Most of the recent translations have been really spotty. Shibatabread does good work, but only puts his releases up on a streaming site that injects ads every five minutes. Some of the other people are retranslating from French or German fansubs, or even using Google translate on the dialogue that shows up onscreen.

It's simply ridiculous that out of 1000+ episodes of Gaki no Tsukai, 200+ episodes of Lincoln, and hundreds more episodes of Downtown's other shows, only a few dozen of them have been translated.

Haydez
Apr 8, 2003

EVIL LINK

precision posted:

Clicked and disappointed in lack of discussion of serious Japanese dramas :(

Great Teacher Onizuka - Yeah it's based on a manga and there's an anime, but this is the best and by far most serious version (though it's also pretty funny quite often).

Oh, I'll have to check out Kurosagi. I loved the GTO drama. I even have the Poison song on my ipod since I'm a nerd.

The Densha Otoko drama (not movie) was really good too. That and GTO are easily my favorites.

Only thing I watched fairly recently was Mr. Brain which was really good and way too short... and my wife loved Hana Yori Dango a lot. (gently caress, I loved it too.)

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Haydez posted:

The Densha Otoko drama (not movie) was really good too. That and GTO are easily my favorites.

Only thing I watched fairly recently was Mr. Brain which was really good and way too short... and my wife loved Hana Yori Dango a lot. (gently caress, I loved it too.)

Haven't seen either of those, but the summaries sound pretty good.

I am not ashamed to admit that Nobuta Wo Produce is one of the best shows I've ever seen and that I cried like a baby at the end.

Started watching the live version of Nana and my God, it's so much better than the anime - this is a trend I'm noticing. I really didn't care at all for Honey and Clover until the drama.

The question I keep asking when I see these is, why do so few of them have official English-dub releases? It would go a long way towards people thinking Japanese television is nothing but wacky anime and game shows. Japanese cinema is pretty well-respected these days, so it's kind of a weird thing to me.

Reverend Cheddar
Nov 6, 2005

wriggle cat is happy
I think it's production slash cultural values. The production level on most Japanese shows is pretty lacking compared to American TV (most, not all), Japanese culture is still pretty foreign for the most part in the US and it's hard to relate to for most viewers, and most of them aren't serialized like US dramas are. (Though something like SVU makes the pretty good case that they shouldn't be...)
It's not like Telemundo's breaking into primetime yet either, so it's not wholly prejudice against Japanese TV, just prejudice against anything non-English, I'd say.

Now, while I don't have a whole lot against current Japanese dramas -- except the prevalence of Johnny's, most of who couldn't act their way out of a kindergarten skit -- I somehow much prefer shows from the bubble era. Especially...

Kita no Kunikara (From the North Country)
This is the drama to beat all dramas, from 1981; still a classic, and holds up better than a lot of shows I've seen in the past few years.

The story mostly focuses around the Kuroida family: Goro, his son Jun and his daughter Hotaru. Goro and his wife separated after a messy, painful divorce, and Goro, feeling he did nothing for his children ever before and broken down by life in Tokyo, decides to take Jun and Hotaru back to where he was raised, the little town of Furano, Hokkaido; and to raise them the only way he knows how, which is to say, traditional to the point of not having electricity or plumbing around.
Mainly things focus around Jun, whose internal monologues are read out loud as letters to his friend Keiko back in Tokyo, and deal with his difficulties adjusting to life in Furano (I've actually been to Furano before, and comparing it to Tokyo is like comparing North Dakota to Manhattan. and this show took place thirty years ago, before technology was really a part of the home...) and his coming to grips with the circumstances of his parents' divorce.

Everything about this show hits you right in the emotional gut perfectly. Happiness, sadness, anger; it's all there, as you slowly begin to see the nature of the divorce and become more impressed with each episode at how the characters develop. None of the characters or situations feel contrived or out of the ordinary, and the acting is some of the best I've ever seen come out of Japan. Even the kids who play Jun and Hotaru are bang-on perfect. The show's legacy is, as typical for Japan, played out ever since; the first show is still the main draw, but short mini-series sequels to the original drama continue the story, focusing more on Jun and Hotaru growing up (and they are still played by the same actors, even after thirty years. The Harry Potter kids have nothin' on these two). It's a classic to be sure, but more than that I really feel like it's the best example of true Japanese character in a drama. Nothing about it is really played up for melodramatics, so it's very... pure, in that sense. It's thirty years old but it still resonates extremely deeply with Japanese audiences today (even those who weren't even born when the original series came out). If you've seen the movie Okuribito, Kita no Kunikara has quite a similar feel.

So yeah, go check it out.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Mantic posted:

What always cracks me up is when Endo opens the drawers in the desk and its pictures of Chiaki dressed up as a policewoman, the other times when they do this are also pretty great. But the best is when in the latest one, The Spy no Batsu, they get pictures of a waitress that Endo first met and got her number while they were filming a segment.

Everything with Endo and Chiaki is hilarious and sad at the same time. The best/worst was the one they did with her announcing her "new engagement," and she kept comparing the things Endo did with the thing her "new husband" did.

:smith:

Mantic
Oct 25, 2007

Jamesman posted:

Everything with Endo and Chiaki is hilarious and sad at the same time. The best/worst was the one they did with her announcing her "new engagement," and she kept comparing the things Endo did with the thing her "new husband" did.

:smith:

you have to admit, Chiaki showing up at the Hotel No Batsu with Endo's brother was hilarious, what also gets me is how every time Tanaka gets scaried he falls straight down.

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

Nipponophile posted:

Most of the recent translations have been really spotty. Shibatabread does good work, but only puts his releases up on a streaming site that injects ads every five minutes. Some of the other people are retranslating from French or German fansubs, or even using Google translate on the dialogue that shows up onscreen.

It's simply ridiculous that out of 1000+ episodes of Gaki no Tsukai, 200+ episodes of Lincoln, and hundreds more episodes of Downtown's other shows, only a few dozen of them have been translated.

Yeah, I absolutely agree. I was really sad to read that Shibatabread was done with Batsu games earlier this year after they had finished subbing the Spy Batsu. He said something about wanting to move on and going for dramas now or something, I don't exactly remember. You can probably still find it on his blog somewhere.

He consistently did a very good job of translating and making everything a LOT more watchable, at least to me. While I agree GNT and Downtown and whatever else can be pretty amusing even without subs, a lot of the jokes or stupid poo poo they say gets lost if you don't know any japanese. And their blabbering easily makes up half of the show. Just imagine watching all the "sitting at their desks for hours" segments in the Batsu games without knowing what any of them are saying.

While I'd like to watch more of their stuff in general, I'm not really all that interested in their normal TV shows. The Absolutely Tasty series is hilarious and for the most part even the bad translations suffice to understand what's going on. That show lives from their reactions and facial expressions anyway. Some of the other stuff is either not that funny to me or, while still amusing, way too far out (Aho Aho Man, anyone? That poo poo is insane to me)

What I'm really "worried" (for a lack of a better word) about is the Batsu games. Those are usually long as hell and I personally feel that a bad translation or all-white subs that make it hard to figure out who said what make them a chore to watch. If I sit my rear end down and watch up to 6 hours of crazy japanese TV, I really want subtitles that makes sense and are easy to read and so on and so forth.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed and my hopes up since Shibatabread was definitely not the only person working on the Spy Batsu... but he was definitely the best one, at least quality wise.

Sneak Edit: And to not make this post completely about whining and bitching.. that damned Hamada doll in the Spy Batsu. Good lord, I laughed so hard the first time I saw that. Then Matsumoto keeps pulling it out like the rear end he is and he does the most perfect, realistic looking backflips with it. I think I could watch just that over and over again and never get bored with it.

Another favorite moment of mine is in the Hospital Batsu near the beginning, where Endo is told to turn a sign around and as he kinda jogs over to it, he just disappears into this hole in the ground while everyone else cracks the hell up.

abraxas fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Sep 29, 2011

mystes
May 31, 2006

Reverend Cheddar posted:

It's thirty years old but it still resonates extremely deeply with Japanese audiences today (even those who weren't even born when the original series came out). If you've seen the movie Okuribito, Kita no Kunikara has quite a similar feel.
I wonder whether most younger Japanese people have actually seen it though?

It really is great though; it's probably my favorite Japanese TV show. The only point I may disagree with you on is about it never becoming melodramatic.

Reverend Cheddar
Nov 6, 2005

wriggle cat is happy

mystes posted:

I wonder whether most younger Japanese people have actually seen it though?

It really is great though; it's probably my favorite Japanese TV show. The only point I may disagree with you on is about it never becoming melodramatic.

Most people my age (23) seemed to have watched it. Then of course I'd get the 'but how come you've watched it?!' response.

I guess when I say things aren't melodramatic, I mean it as in they never play it up for more than it should be. I can just imagine if it were made now, half of Jun's inner monologues would be interspersed with some pop ballad starlet and some serious hammed-up triumph. It never gets like that, you know? The direction is very faithful to keep the real emotion at the forefront.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

abraxas posted:

Another favorite moment of mine is in the Hospital Batsu near the beginning, where Endo is told to turn a sign around and as he kinda jogs over to it, he just disappears into this hole in the ground while everyone else cracks the hell up.

That was pretty great, but the two other times they drop people get me even worse. It's completely out of nowhere.

Matsumoto was on fire all through the Spy Game. That was by far his best ratio of making the other guys laugh to accidentally making himself laugh. I'm looking forward to next year's, only a few more months!

Beck
Dec 8, 2003
I stumbled onto the No Laughing series by browsing youtube some time around 2007 or 2008. Someone linked me the Jimmy Onishi English lesson part of the High school episode. I devoured everything that was available related to downtown. Then, a lot more subbers got involved, and pooled together to make real communities. I'm positive I've watched every single subbed video that has existed for Downtown. Someone said it earlier, and I have to agree, Matsumoto is absurdly talented. Don't be fooled by his idiot routine.

I have a soft spot for the Hey Hey Hey music show they host. They get young (usually 12-18)pop idols on and usually embarrass them. There was a famous one where Hamada made a young pop girl start crying right there. It's also pretty great because generally these kids aren't funny at all, and don't come with jokes prepared, so you get to see how good Downtown can be at improvising humor.

edit: More than anything, I want a translated version of Matsumoto's book that apparently changed the way a lot of people thought of his humor in Japan.

Beck fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Oct 1, 2011

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

I finally started watching the Batsu Games after someone told me about them recently. I've only seen the high school one but I can tell I'm gonna be watching these for awhile.

What's the chronological order these were filmed in, though? The site in the OP doesn't really organize them that way.

Lazy Dog
May 23, 2003

rock out with your cock out
Found this Youtube channel with untranslated episodes of Denpa Shonen (mostly the hitchhike series): http://www.youtube.com/user/999yamado

Lazy Dog fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Oct 2, 2011

Beck
Dec 8, 2003

iastudent posted:

I finally started watching the Batsu Games after someone told me about them recently. I've only seen the high school one but I can tell I'm gonna be watching these for awhile.

What's the chronological order these were filmed in, though? The site in the OP doesn't really organize them that way.

The no laughing batsu games goes Hot Springs, Yugawara, High School, Police, Hospital, Newspaper, Hotel, Spy. Before the no laughing series, and sometimes in between, there are other batsu games that are worth watching as well. Matsumoto Haunted House and 24 hour tag being some popular examples.

ben liftington
Jul 7, 2004

One of my favorite Japanese shows of all time has to be Dotchi no Ryori, a cooking show with a somewhat cruel twist. Generally, each episode features a battle between 2 similar dishes, like onion-miso ramen versus salt-butter ramen. 7 panelists must choose which dish they'd like to eat. Each dish features a special ingredient that the show has gone to great lengths to obtain, such as special Matsuzaka beef, Mongolian rock salt or even a hand-carved stone bowl for bipimbap. The side that has the most votes at the end wins, but if you've voted for the losing side, you must watch your fellow panelists enjoy their food while you go hungry. The show is basically food porn, with lots of closeups of freshly cooked meat glistening with juices and the like.

The show stopped airing in Japan in 2005, but if you live in the Los Angeles area, KSCI/LATV digital channel 18.2 airs subtitled episodes every Friday night at 9pm. If you don't live in LA, you can find a few episodes on YouTube. One of my favorites is the tuna vs. beef special, which features an entire massive tuna that was caught just for that episode.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Mantic posted:

you have to admit, Chiaki showing up at the Hotel No Batsu with Endo's brother was hilarious, what also gets me is how every time Tanaka gets scaried he falls straight down.

That one was especially hilarious because Endo started losing it and the guys had no idea why it was so funny until he explained it.

WHATEVS SISTER
Feb 20, 2003

Now here comes the fun part...
http://ja.justin.tv/kazanlie
SASUKE 27 live stream. Ninja Warrior is the G4 version, I think.

edit: It's over now. Until next year~~~~`~~~`

WHATEVS SISTER fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Oct 3, 2011

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

iastudent posted:

You already got an answer to this but if you want to know it super exactly you may find the wiki article (apparently written by our very own zari-gani?) very helpful. It has everything listed in chronological order, even though it's pretty hard/impossible to find some of the REALLY old stuff.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

WHATEVS SISTER posted:

http://ja.justin.tv/kazanlie
SASUKE 27 live stream. Ninja Warrior is the G4 version, I think.

edit: It's over now. Until next year~~~~`~~~`

I caught it right as [the last man] made [the last attempt at the stage he made it up to]

AUGH I MISSED EVERYTHING. Now I will have to torrent it or something---if it even hits a torrent site in a form I can use. The last time I tried to torrent Sasuke, someone just dumped a .ps file (program stream, presumably) which I couldn't get to play on any player I could find. Curses.

Hurm.
Apr 24, 2006

Nature is a language
can't you read?
So after discovering this thread I felt the need to share one of my favorite Japanese shows, 謎解きバトルTORE!

Basically, it's a game show that features two teams of Japanese celebrities going against each other in various challenges, mostly revolving around word puzzles these challenges are sometimes quite physical and always involve pits for the contestants to fall into.

http://www.soku.com/search_video/q_TORE!
Here is a link to the Chinese equivalent to YouTube, there you'll find full episodes.

Bad Bromance
May 20, 2010

Sorry, guys, I actually do still suck dick! :blush: Also my mom only lets me spend five bucks a month to get my cool gaga avatars back so I guess I'm stuck with this one for a while. :(
That looks awesome, can't wait to check it out

mato
Apr 12, 2007

Vizrt posted:

That Pussuma video with Bob Sapp was pretty good. Is there any legitimate source with subbed episodes? I couldn't seem to find anything during a cursory search.

I was actually the one who subbed that one way back when. I haven't done any others but wish I had the time to - it's a hilarious show not many people know about.

Minister of Chance
Apr 6, 2011
So I'm taking a japanese course at the moment and am looking for something in japanese to watch. I'm kinda burned out on comedy and am not really a fan of romance and drama.
Does someone know a good crime, mystery or thriller tv show?

PosSibley
Jan 11, 2008

21rst Century Digital Boy
So there is a low budget action adventure show, that is a parody of Dragon Quest/Kuesuto (I guess Dragon Warrior in America) called Yuusha Yoshihiko to Maou no Shiro. Plenty of slapstick gags and parodies of the game plots, monsters, and items.

It appears to be only 12 episodes, but you can find almost all of them already subtitled with a simple google video search. I've been watching every episode I can find of it. It reminds me a lot of The Gamers, The Gamers 2: Dorkness Rising, and Journey Quest.

Hurm. posted:

So after discovering this thread I felt the need to share one of my favorite Japanese shows, 謎解きバトルTORE!
A friend tells me TORE! is actually the "follow up" to a show called DERO, which had the same premise but was practically modeled after the Saw films rather than Indiana Jones. He says it was unfortunately canceled post earthquake/tsunami because people felt some of the events were kind of traumatic to watch surrounding the disasters? Here's a link to one episode (no subs): http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMjA2MDk4ODc2.html. You should be able to recognize a lot of the scenery :v:

Gordong Dongbay
Oct 18, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Now that we are well into November we should start hearing some information about the new Gaki game for this year. I believe them normally film in November or December so there should be some information released about the theme for this year.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Minister of Chance posted:

Does someone know a good crime, mystery or thriller tv show?

I mentioned it earlier, but it bears repeating: Kurosagi. It has a romantic sub-plot, but it doesn't get in the way much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minister of Chance
Apr 6, 2011

precision posted:

I mentioned it earlier, but it bears repeating: Kurosagi. It has a romantic sub-plot, but it doesn't get in the way much.

Thanks! It looks really interesting from the clips I watched on Youtube. I just ordered the DVD. It seems that there is a movie, too. Is it any good?

Edit: Oh great, I ordered the movie not the show by mistake :(. Now I really hope that it is as good as the show.
Ah well, couldn't justify to buy a DVD box for $ 300 anyway.

Minister of Chance fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Nov 3, 2011