Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Minister of Chance posted:

Thanks! It looks really interesting from the clips I watched on Youtube. I just ordered the DVD. It seems that there is a movie, too. Is it any good?

The movie is... not terrible, but nowhere near as good as the show was. Since it isn't a sequel, but more of just a condensed version of the show's story, you don't have to worry about continuity, but you also will have to deal with a far inferior actor in the lead role.

precision fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Nov 4, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

So thanks, thread, for introducing me to Downtown and the batsu games! The gf and I have streamed a couple and they are great for having in the background on slow nights. So far we've only watched the Spy game, Matsumoto's Haunted Hotel, and the traditional Onsen (with the darts!), as well as a few cooking ones (the toothpaste one, most memorably).

What are some of the other good ones? Length might be an issue since I get burned out on them quick, but anything with Matsumoto being a master troll would be nice. He seems like such a dick, but does everything straight-faced that it becomes funny no matter what.

Hypsochromic Shift
Jun 2, 2009
I'd recommend the 24-hour Endurance Tag, which was run by Matsumoto. It's kind of like the tag bit in the Spy Batsu. The rest of the group have to sit in the middle of a gym, and the taggers come out at random intervals to torture them. It's shorter than the more recent 24-hour batsu games, so you should watch it if you've ever got a couple hours.

Taratang
Sep 4, 2002

Grand Master
Hotel and Hospital are probably my favourites after Spy, but if you want the ultimate Matsumoto troll event track down the 24hour tag where instead of participating he was in control of the whole thing.

fake edit: beaten

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Hypsochromic Shift posted:

I'd recommend the 24-hour Endurance Tag, which was run by Matsumoto. It's kind of like the tag bit in the Spy Batsu. The rest of the group have to sit in the middle of a gym, and the taggers come out at random intervals to torture them. It's shorter than the more recent 24-hour batsu games, so you should watch it if you've ever got a couple hours.

The best bit is where Matsumoto gets Hamada personally.

Taratang
Sep 4, 2002

Grand Master
The second slide show story was pretty good too.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Oh yeah, that bit was hilarious.

Y'know what else is hilarious? Every single time Masahiro Chono shows up in a batsu game.

Poor Yamasaki, though.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Minister of Chance posted:

So I'm taking a japanese course at the moment and am looking for something in japanese to watch. I'm kinda burned out on comedy and am not really a fan of romance and drama.
Does someone know a good crime, mystery or thriller tv show?

I've seen and can recommend...

Bloody Monday (and its sequel, Bloody Monday 2) - And action/counter-terrorist show, very reminiscent of 24.

Keizoku 2: SPEC - Crime drama with a bit of a twist.

Pandora - Medical/Political thriller about the invention of an anti-cancer drug

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

SaviourX posted:

So thanks, thread, for introducing me to Downtown and the batsu games! The gf and I have streamed a couple and they are great for having in the background on slow nights. So far we've only watched the Spy game, Matsumoto's Haunted Hotel, and the traditional Onsen (with the darts!), as well as a few cooking ones (the toothpaste one, most memorably).

What are some of the other good ones? Length might be an issue since I get burned out on them quick, but anything with Matsumoto being a master troll would be nice. He seems like such a dick, but does everything straight-faced that it becomes funny no matter what.

The best is actually any time Matsumoto gets dicked over himself. Case in point: No-Reaction Pie Hell, a 25 minute story of one man's psychological well-being being utterly destroyed in the course of an hour. It's on youtube.

FAT BATMAN fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Nov 9, 2011

Dog Toggle Switch
May 16, 2006

Yo dawg, I heard you like Iron Chef and Downtown so we put a Downtown in your Iron Chef.

http://gakifiles.blogspot.com/2011/11/iron-chef-matsumoto.html

Seriously, this is pretty great. Hamada plays Chairman Kaga and Matsumoto is an Iron Chef facing off against Masaharu Fukuyama (a popular Japanese musician). The thing is, it's a completely legit episode of Iron Chef. with the two contestants attempting to create new and exciting cuisine... except the two people involved know next to nothing of cooking.
Really a fun idea and episode... except for the fact that the subtitles are absolutely dreadful for the video. Poorly translated and riddled with spelling errors, but at least they give you a good idea what's going on. Despite that, it's a real treat for anyone who's a fan of Downtown and Iron Chef. Check it out.

Gordong Dongbay
Oct 18, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
For those of you who don't read the Gaki forums or frequently visit the Gakifiles blog there is finally some news on the Batsu game for this year. There will indeed by a batsu game this year and it will be:

No Laughing Airport

quote:

Daily Sport Nov 18 Fri 7:32AM
Nihon TV・Yomiuri’s popular variety show “Downtown No Gaki No Tsukai Ya Arahende!!” special project “Waratte Wa Ikenai” series will be broadcasted
on new year’s eve for 6 years in a row, it’s been known on the 17th. Situation for this year is “Zettai Ni Waratte Wa Ikenai Airport 24 hours!”. Members will be in roles of newbie cabin attendants. From 6:30 PM to 12:30AM, their 6 hours long new year’s eve broadcast will give the whole nation laughter.
“Waratte Wa Ikenai” series will have been coloring new year’s eve for 6 years in a row. Having experienced to be police, journalists, spies and so on in the past, the five members of Downtown, Yamasaki Hosei(43) and Cocorico will transform themselves into cabin attendants on the stage of “Airport”.this time.
The setting is that the 5 will be newbie cabin attendants at “Gasu Kurobikari Airline System (GAS)” , challenging “Owarai traps” scattered around the check-in counter, security check or training center.
The shooting was held under full cooperation with Ibaraki Airport (Ibaraki Prefecture, Omitama city). The airport opened on Mar 11th last year, which is the very same day that the Great East Japan Earthquake hit this year. The staff related to the project started shooting with their wish for owarai to provide psychological support to victims. Over 400 staffs were called out and approx 200 CCD cameras were used.
Conducted with the phrase “○○ out ~” , the painful punishment to a member who laughed is still alive. Matsumoto Hitoshi(48), who has gotten the most punishments for 4 years in a row until last year, recalls the tremendous 24 hours, saying “It was hard enough again this year.”

Above is an English translation of the original Yahoo JP article that broke the news.

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011

Gordong Dongbay posted:

For those of you who don't read the Gaki forums or frequently visit the Gakifiles blog there is finally some news on the Batsu game for this year. There will indeed by a batsu game this year and it will be:

No Laughing Airport

Above is an English translation of the original Yahoo JP article that broke the news.

I am giddy as a child. Also, I know it has been 10 years since the tag game but Yamasaki is 43? Holy Hell.

WHATEVS SISTER
Feb 20, 2003

Now here comes the fun part...
This should be so much better than Spy.

Taratang
Sep 4, 2002

Grand Master
Here's hoping someone translates it not long after it airs. Didn't Shibatabread say he wasn't going to do it this time?

Gordong Dongbay
Oct 18, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Taratang posted:

Here's hoping someone translates it not long after it airs. Didn't Shibatabread say he wasn't going to do it this time?

Well he isn't the only one who subs him. The Gaki American fan forum puts a team together. Shibata was normally the one to put finishing touches on them and release them on a weekly basis. The Spy one came out a lot quicker than the other ones, only took them a few months to get the entire thing out in HD with subs. Shibata will probably still help out with the batsu game, if not it still shouldn't be that big of a deal. From what I've read on the forums they have a handful of new subbers this year plus the mainstays of that forum.

WonderfulWino
Sep 26, 2004

The grape wont cut me loose.
I been expecting the announcement of this years batsu. Can't wait.

Gordong Dongbay
Oct 18, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

WonderfulWino posted:

I been expecting the announcement of this years batsu. Can't wait.

Yeah, they filmed it earlier than previous years. I'm guessing because they had to base the schedule around when the airport said they could. The announcement came a lot earlier than it did last year. I believe we didn't hear anything till December last year. Either way this should be really good, it always is but this setting is going to lend its self to a lot more things than the Spy setting.

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

I'm actually a little worried about the subbing/translation efforts with this years Batsu game. Not to discredit any of the subbers/translators from the GnT forums that are still around but I don't think I'm exaggerating when I'm saying Shibatabread has consistently put out the highest quality subs for these kinds of things.

I'm not sure if he's going to help out or not but I fear for the quality if he's not helming the whole project. The colored subs and good translations add so much for someone like me who doesn't know a lick of japanese. The problem with the current batch of translators they have over on the GnT forums is that most of them are not native english speakers. I'm neither, to be fair, but if you read some posts over there you can see that their english is pretty bumpy at times.

It beats not getting any translations at all, admittedly, but I wish Shibata would man up and just do the Batsu game again. I realize it's a huge project (apparently 6 hours long again this year!) and that it can be quite time consuming and annoying but the dude just knows what he's doing and consistently puts out good quality work that might as well be professional subs.

Here's to hoping I'm just being a drama queen and worrying for nothing :shobon:

Gordong Dongbay
Oct 18, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The best thing to do is contact him on Twitter and let him know that you would like him to come back to sub. He announced that he was leaving, in my opinion, mostly do to the overwhelming demand that he start subbing episodes from the regular Gaki show. He said that he would never sub another Gaki video because he wanted to branch out and show other parts of Japanese comedy/culture but yet he just recently subbed a Gaki segment. I honestly do believe that he will end up subbing in some capacity because if it wasn't for his work on the Gaki stuff I doubt he would have such a following.

Anyone who follows that board/the foreign Gaki fan base in general knows that the people are impatient and get quite up in arms if subs aren't being given in a timely matter. Somethings tells me that he is going to start getting poo poo from his "followers" if he doesn't help with the subs so I suspect he will be back. I've tried contacting him on Twitter to ask if he was going to help with the subs this year but he has never replied back to me. His wife also helps out with the subs and does a lot if not half of the work so contacting her on Twitter may get a response as well.

I do think Shibata does the most high quality work but people like Zurui of Gaki Files and some of the other mainstays should make sure that the quality is up to par. Zurui does really good work in my opinion and I know there are a few others who are responsible for some of the other Batsu subs that aren't to bad.

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

From what I understand, he decided to quit subbing because people put a lot of pressure on him to get the Spy Batsu finished last year. People kept pestering him like mad and he (rightfully, I guess) got pretty annoyed with all the asking and bickering. I do hope he comes back and he's had some time to cool off so we'll see I guess. I'm not sure if asking him on Twitter beforehand would give us the results though, he might just feel pressured before things even get off the ground.

I follow Zuruis blog a lot because I find the GnT forums exceptionally confusing and hard to navigate. I'm never sure if what I'm looking at is subbed or not. It seems kind of disorganized with the plethora of subforums and things. Maybe I'm just an idiot :(

Zurui posts whatever new subbed stuff he has up his sleeves and it's easy to find. I just today watched the Kiki Mayonnaise episode he has up. It was translated pretty drat well (by eChie, it seems) but the subs weren't colored which makes things very confusing sometimes. I mean for things like that it's not really a big deal at all but look at the Iron Chef episode that was posted earlier in the thread. It also came from Zuruis site and it has absolutely awful subs. I realize it's pretty old and was probably subbed by someone Zurui doesn't even know but there's been other stuff on his blog that was kind of shoddy. Just gives me the impression that he doesn't care about quality all that much as long as he has subs. I hope it's gonna be different for the actual Batsu game but I'd definitely feel better if Shibata was back on board.

Either way, we'll see and I'll be happy as long as we get any subs and don't have to wait a year for them. I'm just so spoiled by all the past Batsu games that I'm sorta worried they won't be able to live up to past subs without Shibata and his wife. Fingers crossed, though!

Gordong Dongbay
Oct 18, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The Spy subs came out a lot quicker than any other have so far. I remember the Hotel man subs took what seemed like six months or more. The fan base has grown larger since then though so there are a lot more people working on subs. I know that one person on the forums, at one point in time, said that if it comes down to it he will take donations in order to pay a professional translator to sub the entire thing. Honestly, I'm not to worried about it. There are a lot of people on there who are absolutely insane about Gaki and will go to extreme lengths to get it subbed.

There is another Japanese fan site that hosts torrents that subs quite a bit as well. Don't worry about having trouble with the site, it's confusing as gently caress and disorganized. They have a sub forum for each thing. Honestly, Gaki Files posts the best stuff anyway so you won't be missing much by not reading all of the forums.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

I kind of wish that our Game Center CX group would also work on Gaki, but they already do such a great job on GCCX that I wouldn't want to overextend them.

Also, subtitling a six hour long special has got to be some serious work, what with timing and localization and all. As long as we eventually get to see it, I suppose, and it isn't a trainwreck like that Iron Chef video Dog Toggle Switch posted earlier (seriously, those subtitles, what the gently caress) then I'll be fine with that.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Gordong Dongbay posted:

No Laughing Airport

Yessss. I came to the thread today specifically to see if there was news of the latest batsu game. Can't wait until it's up.

toomanyninjas
Feb 10, 2005

DOGOLD, I WANT YOU TO CALL AN AM-BOO-LANCE AND WHEN THEY GET HUR I WANT YOU TO TELL THEM TO
KEEP SMILING!
The thing I liked best about Shibata's subs, aside from the color distinctions, was the blog posts that accompanied each new installment. They always clarified the cultural background of the jokes -- like the 80s singers that appeared in Hotel. It's a shame everyone pestered the hell out of him for taking a while on Spy. Doesn't he live in Japan and had to contend with the earthquake aftermath?

Gordong Dongbay
Oct 18, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Shlapintogan posted:

I kind of wish that our Game Center CX group would also work on Gaki, but they already do such a great job on GCCX that I wouldn't want to overextend them.

Also, subtitling a six hour long special has got to be some serious work, what with timing and localization and all. As long as we eventually get to see it, I suppose, and it isn't a trainwreck like that Iron Chef video Dog Toggle Switch posted earlier (seriously, those subtitles, what the gently caress) then I'll be fine with that.

I would imagine that it does indeed take quite a lot of work. The older batsu games didn't even get subbed until recently. We went for the longest time without complete subs for the two onsen games. It wasn't until around Newspaper man that they put a team together to sub the thing in a couple of months. Before it was mostly Shibata subbing them at his own speed. The police station one took like six months to come out.

toomanyninjas posted:

The thing I liked best about Shibata's subs, aside from the color distinctions, was the blog posts that accompanied each new installment. They always clarified the cultural background of the jokes -- like the 80s singers that appeared in Hotel. It's a shame everyone pestered the hell out of him for taking a while on Spy. Doesn't he live in Japan and had to contend with the earthquake aftermath?

Yeah, Shibata and his wife have always emphasized to the viewers that while Gaki is a big part of Japanese pop culture it certainly doesn't represent Japan as a whole and in fact is quite opposite of what traditional Japanese culture is. Shibata loves to put in little notes about certain characters to make sure people get the references because not all of Japanese humor is going to translate to America. Honestly you don't even really get into Gaki and the batsu games until you've watch quite a bit of their work, the Japanese comedy style is so different from the sarcasm you mostly see in America that it takes a bit to get used to.

Overall it might just be wishful thinking when I say that I think he will come back. I hope he does but in all honesty he probably won't be. I know that after doing the Hotel and Spy batsu two years in a row, he is probably pretty burnt out and I also think he wants to take that time and dedicate it towards his podcast and blog. Hopefully we will still be in good hands with the rest of the team.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
Oh hey, Kurosagi has that girl from Hana Kimi. Watching.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
A few months back it seemed like This song was playing pretty much everywhere in Japan.

It's the ending theme for a show called Marumo no Okite. It's about a bumbling office worker who adopts his dead friend's twin children. It's mostly a comedy, but has some pretty tragic stuff happening every so often.

Oh and they also have a talking dog for some reason.

In the end it's a show that could have been a serious look at kids dealing with the loss of their parents, a comedy about someone having to face responsibility, or a talking animal family show. Instead it tries to all three and you get this sort of emotional whiplash, but it's worth watching if you're looking for something different.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Actually he got broken on Hotel because it was chiefly him translating and timing which is just maddening work. His wife helps but I think she just cleans up his English(which sometimes has its bumps). He had a couple extra hands on Hotel but it was almost all him and that's why it took 6-7 months. Spy got done in under 3 because there was a big team.

Shibata's first big sub was Hotel if I remember right. Others subbed Hospital, Newspaper and whatnot and did good jobs with them. Shibata is a quality subber but he isn't the only one. The group they assembled last year was quite good and I think they'll be alright, especially if eChie is helping as she does some terrific translating(her subs need a bit of work but that's being picky). Makes me wish zari-gani was more into the GnT stuff because she's a translating machine, she'd probably have it translated in no time.

Shibata has already said on Twitter that he isn't subbing this one which is disappointing but expected. He got burned out big time.

Speaking of which you should watch his subs of a Matsumoto-hosted story telling show. http://www.shibatabread.com/2011/08/subbed-suberanai-hanashi-guaranteed.html#more

e: if I had to purely guess I'd say Shibata did more translating than anything on Spy which is the less demanding but more rare(as far as quality) of the two jobs. The GnT forum does contain a few quality translators and timers but they almost never work on anything outside of the batsu so it's not as bad without Shibata as it initially seems. They'll pop their heads out come January and give a hand. If eChie can help and they keep the timing team I think the same 3-4 month process will occur and we won't get the Hotel horror again.

e2: it appears as if zurui is heading the group, I believe he helped sub Spy last year. The info thread on the GnT site has quite a few people volunteering to help translate and time so that's good and others like Shadi(a quality subber but rarely subs) seems like he might be able to help as well. I think they'll be in good hands. It may or may not take a bit longer but I wouldn't expect stuff like single color subs or anything.

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Dec 3, 2011

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Crotch Bat posted:

Speaking of which you should watch his subs of a Matsumoto-hosted story telling show. http://www.shibatabread.com/2011/08/subbed-suberanai-hanashi-guaranteed.html#more

I already knew this was going to be good because Matsumoto's always funny as hell, but it got even better when I noticed Jimmy Onishi :3:

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Shlapintogan posted:

I already knew this was going to be good because Matsumoto's always funny as hell, but it got even better when I noticed Jimmy Onishi :3:

Jimmy isn't in these. Are you talking about the guy seated to the left("above") Matsumoto in the still of the first video? That's Hosshan.

Jimmy pretty much withdrew from TV. He used to be a GnT regular(his fights with Yamasaki are amazing) but he got sick of it and he quit to become, I believe, a painter. He makes guest appearances for the batsu but as far as I remember being told that is it for his media appearances.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Crotch Bat posted:

Jimmy isn't in these. Are you talking about the guy seated to the left("above") Matsumoto in the still of the first video? That's Hosshan.

Jimmy pretty much withdrew from TV. He used to be a GnT regular(his fights with Yamasaki are amazing) but he got sick of it and he quit to become, I believe, a painter. He makes guest appearances for the batsu but as far as I remember being told that is it for his media appearances.

Ah yeah, my mistake. I knew he had quit GnT to become a painter, but I suppose Hosshan and Jimmy just look awfully similar because I could've swore it was him the first time around.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Thought I'd bump about the Airport batsu translating team. Quite different from last year but doesn't seem to be a step down.

As I'd thought, eChie will be the chief translator along with zurui. eChie's a native translator and her stuff is every bit as top notch as shibata's from what I've seen. Plus it's always nice to have a native speaker because there are always references, nuances, etc. that just don't shine through as well when done by a second-language speaker. Timers will be SSSI(he did a lot of the kiki series) and Chidegi(did a lot of the drama/docu stuff on zurui's blog). They also have a spot translator as well.

I have no idea how fast they'll churn this out or if they'll do it in segments like shibata did but I will speak to the quality I've seen from the above and it is top notch. Colored subs, good translations and no Engrish. zurui helped the Spy subs last year and he's done hours upon hours of other Gaki-related subs so he'll be fine.

Here's a mini-batsu game example of zurui/eChie's work so I'd expect something just as good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlUWZT9htW8&

Taratang
Sep 4, 2002

Grand Master
That's great to hear, really looking forward to it.

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

As has been said by Crotch Bat, the translating team for the Airport Batsu was announced not too long ago on zuruis blog. I really just wanna throw the link in here and have nothing else to add. I think what Crotch Bat said is mostly true and I hope the quality will be great and it won't be a six months waiting deal.

So, for anyone who wants to read for themselves, here ya go: http://gakifiles.blogspot.com/2011/12/airport-batsu-game-subbing-team.html#more

Digital Scumbag
Feb 11, 2010
Anyone have some suggestions for a beginner entry? Does Japan have an HBO that produces original series? I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, but that's about what the quality I'd like to shoot for.

I don't really have a taste for the awkward comedy that seems so rampant, but I do enjoy the action/drama movies that I catch, and the themes, and the serious-faces.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Do you mean drama recommendations? I made some of these recommendations further up the page but...

Bloody Monday (and its sequel, Bloody Monday 2) - An action/counter-terrorist show, very reminiscent of 24.

Keizoku 2: SPEC - Crime drama with a bit of a twist.

Pandora - Medical/Political thriller about the invention of an anti-cancer drug

And I've recently been watching Himitsu Chouhouin Erika: Kill Bill/Battle Royale's Chiaki Kuriyama plays a former secret agent (now a housewife) pulled into the world of private investigation. This gets a bit cheesy and heavy handed in its story-telling at times but it's a fun watch.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

SpazmasterX posted:

Yessss. I came to the thread today specifically to see if there was news of the latest batsu game. Can't wait until it's up.

Real-world airports are pretty much a batsu game now.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

DiscoJ posted:

Do you mean drama recommendations? I made some of these recommendations further up the page but...

Bloody Monday (and its sequel, Bloody Monday 2) - An action/counter-terrorist show, very reminiscent of 24.

Is this the same Bloody Monday as the manga? If so, I can't recommend it enough. It's so bad it circles back around to enjoyable.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

etalian posted:

Real-world airports are pretty much a batsu game now.

Imagine going through a metal detector and hearing "BA-BAAAAAAN [your name] OUT!" And then having the entire security team come slap you in the rear end with a rubber baton.

It'd be the best countermeasure to terrorism ever. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

SpazmasterX posted:

Is this the same Bloody Monday as the manga? If so, I can't recommend it enough. It's so bad it circles back around to enjoyable.

I haven't read the manga but 'so bad it circles back around to enjoyable' is an apt description.