Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

There was a program that Matsumoto and Hamada did pre-pandemic where they would go bar hop and interview different celebrities at different places (and get staggeringly drunk step by step). Because they can’t do that because COVID, Matsumoto has instead shifted to a “diet” version of Suberanai no Hanashi on a weekly basis. My wife records that (and the ‘real’ Suberanai no Hanashi when those specials happen) so I’ve watched them a bunch, they’re definitely decent stories. They’ve also widened out in the past two years and actually included some women in their panels too :aaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

harperdc posted:

There was a program that Matsumoto and Hamada did pre-pandemic where they would go bar hop and interview different celebrities at different places (and get staggeringly drunk step by step). Because they can’t do that because COVID, Matsumoto has instead shifted to a “diet” version of Suberanai no Hanashi on a weekly basis. My wife records that (and the ‘real’ Suberanai no Hanashi when those specials happen) so I’ve watched them a bunch, they’re definitely decent stories. They’ve also widened out in the past two years and actually included some women in their panels too :aaa:

I've never seen that one. I've seen the uh 人志松本の酒のツマミになる話. But they don't bar hop, they just drink at the table with a bunch of celebrities and tell stories. Do you know the name of the one where they go to bars? Have you seen the Matsumoto family day off show? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztPE3_Cjioo.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

One question I have for this thread is how many people are watching Japanese TV in Japanese? I feel like an rear end in a top hat if I'm linking things that might never be subbed to everyone. I can switch to recommending things that have subs, or state explicitly if something doesn't have subs.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

gay for gacha posted:

I've never seen that one. I've seen the uh 人志松本の酒のツマミになる話. But they don't bar hop, they just drink at the table with a bunch of celebrities and tell stories. Do you know the name of the one where they go to bars?

yeah that's the one now (specifically officially from last April), the predecessor was apparently called ダウンタウンなう (Downtown Now), which does appear on YouTube if you search.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
This is an upcoming Netflix show staring Chidori, I'll probably watch some of it, kind of skeptical of the premise but it seems to have a number of the Yoshimoto comedians.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LiYTYfZCxgM

Feb 28, 2007

1️⃣
Just another number.

Bip Roberts posted:

This is an upcoming Netflix show staring Chidori, I'll probably watch some of it, kind of skeptical of the premise but it seems to have a number of the Yoshimoto comedians.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LiYTYfZCxgM

This is up now (at least on Netflix in the UK), and it's definitely worthwhile checking it out. The drama used as a framing device is a bit cheesy, but the story-telling bits are excellent (and very much in the same vein as Suberanai Hanashi).

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I've watched the first two episodes and it's pretty good, the drama setup is a pretty funny way to set up the bits.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

The talk about masturbation in the second episode was both hilarious and too much at the same time.

finalcake
Oct 5, 2002

CHESTO~!!
Watching Last One Standing right now, and I gotta say, as someone who only saw Chidori through brief appearances here and there and also Documental, I love how quick Nobu really is with his quips and riffs. It’s also really easy to see why he does so badly in Documental, he’s so afraid with laughing along with his snappy comebacks that he’s on constant self-conscious mode until he cracks.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I got to the end of Last One Standing and it's fully excellent. It felt like they buried a number of the better comedians for later episodes and the show got a number of real genuine laughs from me.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

So Batsu games are pretty much dead I guess. Apparently there's a new law in Japan that prohibits using "violence" in comedy on public television. The most recent Kiki episode had no punishment either because of this (and partly Covid I think but mostly the law.)

I'd think it's not good news for Silent Library either then.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Stare-Out posted:

Apparently there's a new law in Japan that prohibits using "violence" in comedy on public television.

what

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

It's thanks to these guys. Something to do with trying to protect children from "problematic" programming.

quote:

The Broadcasting Ethics & Program Improvement Organization (BPO) is a non-profit, non-governmental organization that serves to protect basic human rights and to improve the quality of broadcasting and promote higher ethical standards while ensuring freedom of speech and expression.

BPO deals with complaints and ethical issues brought against broadcasting content by conducting investigations into problematic programs and giving recommendations and/or opinions to either all broadcasters or to the broadcaster concerned in order to promote the independence and the autonomy of broadcast.

"Ensuring freedom of speech and expression" unless they decide otherwise. It's your typical conservative bullshit.

E: The new Kiki was funny though, just weird that getting it wrong now has no consequence (other than not getting the money I guess.) They just abruptly cut to the next guy.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I wonder if this will push more content into production by the streaming companies.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Stare-Out posted:

So Batsu games are pretty much dead I guess. Apparently there's a new law in Japan that prohibits using "violence" in comedy on public television. The most recent Kiki episode had no punishment either because of this (and partly Covid I think but mostly the law.)

I'd think it's not good news for Silent Library either then.

Gonna need to see some sources on this, because “public” television is just NHK. Now if it’s “broadcast,” then yeah, that may limit things depending on time or channel.

Bip Roberts posted:

I wonder if this will push more content into production by the streaming companies.

The traditional outlets (eg all the major TV broadcasters like Asahi, Fuji, etc, plus the likes of Yoshimoto) are finally working together with Netflix and Amazon to a greater extent, and there’s also a few local options that are in the Hulu mold - on demand for stuff on broadcast, and some originals too. I think this will grow.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
Netflix is now airing Nippon TV's Hajimete no otsukai (Old Enough!). It's an extremely entertaining reailty show with 10 minute episodes of very young children being told to go do some errands.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
https://chikichiki.tube/gakinotsukai/playlist/sports-challenge/

Matsumoto sports challenges in 1080p60fps

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

That's rad! There's also been a lot of new subbed content lately, the most recent one is one of those meeting up challenges where they each have think about a location in Tokyo to meet up at and the last one had Downtown alone for most of it and it was honestly way less awkward than it has been in the past. I don't know if it was just the editing but they seemed to really get along which was kind of great to see.

It's clear there's still some friction between them, though. Matsumoto even acknowledges it by stating how reluctant they are to be alone just the two of them but seeing them by themselves taking shots at each other and laughing was pretty great compared to some earlier shows where they were just dead silent with each other and it was super awkward.

Stare-Out fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jun 6, 2022

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Matsumoto and who?

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer

Waltzing Along posted:

Matsumoto and who?

Hamada, I assume?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Hamada. They had a pretty severe falling out like 20 or so years ago (around the time Matsumoto shaved his head which supposedly was because of this) over some TV deal that Matsumoto disagreed with and Hamada just took on both of their behalf (I think this is what happened, would be happy to be corrected though). That's when the whole thing started where they were friendly onscreen but effectively strangers offscreen, mostly due to Matsumoto and it's been more or less like that since. It's been played up for jokes in recent years but it's still a thing.

That's also why the Hamada's birthday episode from a few years back is kind of a big deal; all the Gaki members wrote a letter to Hamada and read it to him drunk. It was all pretty emotional but when it came time for Matsumoto to read his, he ultimately couldn't and refused. It's never been revealed what exactly was in that letter.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

They wouldn't be the first duo who don't really spend time with each other off work. From what I've read they simply spend so much time with their comedy act / shows / TV stuff that they don't feel like spending time with each other outside of all that.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

TeaJay posted:

They wouldn't be the first duo who don't really spend time with each other off work. From what I've read they simply spend so much time with their comedy act / shows / TV stuff that they don't feel like spending time with each other outside of all that.

I've heard that being said but some poo poo still went down that created a huge rift between them, especially for Matsumoto to the point where it goes way beyond just spending too much time at work with each other. They were childhood friends but it's been clear for a few years now that their friendship nowadays has been all for the show.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
I've heard that's also people reading super hard into stuff, looking for some sinister reason that they aren't eating dinner at each others houses every other night. They just never spend time together because they've known each other basically forever and already spent an overwhelming amount of time together working, and still do.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Kevin DuBrow posted:

Netflix is now airing Nippon TV's Hajimete no otsukai (Old Enough!). It's an extremely entertaining reailty show with 10 minute episodes of very young children being told to go do some errands.

https://twitter.com/nbcsnl/status/1525856926126555143

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

went to that site, saw the torrent link, clicked it, thinking it would torrent the videos on the page

no, it's a 1 TB torrent of, presumably, everything they've got

well, gently caress it, I'll download it, see what I want to keep afterwards

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
Yeah I gotta get back on replacing the old stuff with the higher res rips these groups are putting out.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I don't know how reliable this is, and it's in Japanese, but there's an article saying that "No Laughing" is coming back for NYE 2022! Fuckin' hope so.

Stare-Out fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jul 8, 2022

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

the link 404s

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

That's weird, should work now.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Anybody have any good J-drama series they've found lately? It's ridiculous to me that in 2022, I can sign up for entire channels of Korean programming, yet finding Japanese TV in English is like trying to find an imaginary animal in the wild.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Nipponophile posted:

Anybody have any good J-drama series they've found lately? It's ridiculous to me that in 2022, I can sign up for entire channels of Korean programming, yet finding Japanese TV in English is like trying to find an imaginary animal in the wild.

Yeah there's the Netflix stuff (Hibana Spark, Naked Director, Alice in Borderland, etc) and a smattering of things on Amazon and Crunchyroll but beyond that as far as I know it's up to fansubbers and there's a heavy geek tilt to what they're interested in.

I haven't been watching anything new but I did start watching the old live action Sukeban Deka shows last month. If you haven't seen them, they're about high school delinquents who get captured and recruited by shadowy government figures to go undercover and solve high school crimes (often using a steel bladed yo-yo). It's hard to recommend them as "dramas" (although they are highly dramatic), but they've been very entertaining so far. I'm on the second series of three now.

https://i.imgur.com/3NRCcuF.mp4
https://i.imgur.com/9yKseko.mp4

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Sukeban Deka owns and I highly recommend it. I've only watched the first season/series and it is incredibly entertaining. Shoujo Commando Izumi is also good but I haven't seen as much. Whereas in Sukeban Deka the main character's weapon is a yoyo, Izumi's is a M72 LAW, which makes it even crazier.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Oh sweet, they stream on internet archive

https://archive.org/details/sukeban-deka-iii-raw-volume-1

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

There's a freshly subbed Wednesday Downtown on the GnT reddit that has some great Kuro-chan stuff.

He gets stranded on a deserted island and made to go through a scavenger hunt. Part 1 is out now and it's pretty wild.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Stare-Out posted:

There's a freshly subbed Wednesday Downtown on the GnT reddit that has some great Kuro-chan stuff.

He gets stranded on a deserted island and made to go through a scavenger hunt. Part 1 is out now and it's pretty wild.

That was a very good episode. I followed it up by watching the "how long can 10 people hide in kuro-chans apartment" episode of Wednesday.

I'm never sure with their batsu contests what is the level of production and what is real. I assume it's like professional wrestling where it's setup but the motions are real and the reactions are embellished.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Bip Roberts posted:

That was a very good episode. I followed it up by watching the "how long can 10 people hide in kuro-chans apartment" episode of Wednesday.

I'm never sure with their batsu contests what is the level of production and what is real. I assume it's like professional wrestling where it's setup but the motions are real and the reactions are embellished.

Yeah a lot of stuff is presented way more dramatically than it really happened for sure, but even so it's fun and Kuro-chan certainly acts convincingly enough if nothing else.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Part 2 wasn't as insane but pretty entertaining nonetheless. The ending is somewhat spoiled by the "hide in Kuro-chan's apartment for money" episode, though it does answer some questions I had when I saw that episode.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Yeah, I was confused how they were going to fit 40 more minutes of content on the island.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

I haven't watched a no laugh game in a while but a few months ago, I checked out Documental which is Matsumoto's show. I watched 4 seasons on Amazon Prime. It definitely is much different humor than No Laugh type stuff. Lots of sex jokes and nudity but I found it enjoyable. Jimmy Onishi was definitely the star of the series for me. Not sure if people here saw that.