Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Writing something in giant caps and projecting helps prove whatever point you're trying to make and doesn't make you look foolish and hurt that someone doesn't like something you did.

I'm totally ok with you not liking it. But you've been going around to all the comic book movie threads and doing nothing but calling everything not made by Marvel studios trash. Which is refreshing in a way, as it's the exact opposite of what most people on these forums do, but it's still annoying. Not because you don't like a thing, but because you keep acting like the things you don't like are objectively bad, and anyone who disagrees with you is wrong. It sucks you didn't like the Amazing Spider-Man or X-Men movies. I wish there was something there for you in them, and it sucks that there's no. But your opinion is not the end all be all of quality on them, and just posting "this movie is worthless shlock" or "these movies are total garbage" like you have been isn't really adding to any conversation about them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

I think the issue is that pointing out flaws doesn't help create a discussion in these threads. You have a lot of nerds who feel their opinion is fact and the echo chamber of the thread validates that. Then you have an outsider come in, point out legitimate flaws in a movie (in a way, I concede, that doesn't pull punches) and that seems to blow people's minds where they can't handle it. So you lose the discussion and instead it's just the echo chamber of the thread attacking the outsider until the outsider leaves. This then reaffirms that the nerd was right all along and their opinion is still fact.

It's incredible odd that the mere thought of discussing flaws in a film causes people to get incredibly defensive.

Edit: PM me if you want to continue this discussion.

virtualboyCOLOR fucked around with this message at 20:34 on May 24, 2014

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Burkion posted:

the continued pointed ignoring of Uncle Ben's killer is annoying because the longer that goes unresolved, the more likely it's going to build up into some dumb thing, like the guy is secretly Cletus Kasady. If they just never bring him back up, though, that'd be fine. I guess we'll see.
The entire point is that living a life dedicated to vengeance isn't healthy. Spending his life tracking Ben's killer isn't what Peter's meant to do.

Max didn't become insane because he got power. Max was already a very unstable man who gets power and then is repeatedly shot by the cops when trying to get them to leave him alone.

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

instead of having the character just have fun being Spider-Man, you have to shoe horn him in as a Nolen Batman type character.
This didn't happen.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

I think the issue is that pointing out flaws doesn't help create a discussion in these threads. You have a lot of nerds who feel their opinion is fact and the echo chamber of the thread validates that. Then you have an outsider come in, point out legitimate flaws in a movie (in a way, I concede, that doesn't pull punches) and that seems to blow people's minds where they can't handle it. So you lose the discussion and instead it's just the echo chamber of the thread attacking the outsider until the outsider leaves. This then reaffirms that the nerd was right all along and their opinion is still fact.

It's incredible odd that the mere thought of discussing flaws in a film causes people to get incredibly defensive.

Strutting in here and saying "man, how could anyone have liked this movie or the first one, they're objectively awful" is not 'pointing out flaws'. It's being ignorant at best or a deliberate troll at worst.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Strange, no one called me out when I posted my problems with the movie, literally right before you.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

I've posted in this very thread the flaws I had with the first movie and had the echo chamber shout at me instead of engage in actual debate. I posted in this one agreeing that the script felt rushed and all over the place (and the death scene was comical instead of serious) and got much of the same reaction.

It really doesn't matter what is posted in these threads provided that it either:
A) agrees with the echo chamber
B) doesn't hurt people's feelings when you state movie they like is bad

Again, I'm done with this derail. If you want to discuss this PM me.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
This is the wrong thread to start arguing about echo chambers. There's a wide range of opinions on ASM2 from good to bad to my own "I guess I sorta liked it?" It has some flaws and some good things and I'm not seeing a clear consensus among posters.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Almost none of us here really loved this movie and I don't think anyone who did has been a jerk about it

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Surlaw posted:

Almost none of us here really loved this movie and I don't think anyone who did has been a jerk about it

I love the movie despite it's flaws. "It's garbage and you're objectively wrong if you like it and I don't understand how ANYONE could have liked it" is not pointing out flaws, though.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
I unabashedly loved this movie and got exactly what I wanted out of it but I understand why a lot of people didn't.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Yeah this movie did a lot of things wrong and I didn't seem to get any flack for pointing that out. Its the attitude that has people bristling, and this "echo chamber" bullshit you seem to be so proud of fighting.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Cyra posted:

I unabashedly loved this movie and got exactly what I wanted out of it but I understand why a lot of people didn't.

Yeah, I went into it hoping for some fun Spidey action and Peter Parker relationship drama and got exactly that. Definitely needed more Paul Giamatti though.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I liked it a hell of a lot too. The best villains have a real grievance behind their actions, and I felt like Harry hit that one on most cylinders. Gwen and Pete's relationship felt about as honest as one could get for being as hosed up as it was.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

DeathChicken posted:

I liked it a hell of a lot too. The best villains have a real grievance behind their actions, and I felt like Harry hit that one on most cylinders. Gwen and Pete's relationship felt about as honest as one could get for being as hosed up as it was.

I thought too one of the most honest scenes was the reuniting of Harry and Peter. Harry starts off as cold, and Peter tells him that he would be there for Harry the same way Harry was there for him when his parents died. Harry lets his guard down and Peter remarks that's the Harry I know. It absolutely felt genuine, to me anyway. One of the better scenes.

Vintimus Prime fucked around with this message at 14:59 on May 27, 2014

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I just watched it again and noticed that pre-Rhino has little cartoon rhinos on his boxer shorts when Spider-man drops his pants, movie rules. Also that Norman definitely has claws and not just long fingernails and that Electro really, seriously, doesn't make puns. Gwen doesn't find the stalking "cute" either. She sighs/groans, looks down, wipes her eye, and then pulls away.

I appreciated the relationship between Peter and May a lot more this time, Sally Field is pretty great here.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Surlaw posted:

I appreciated the relationship between Peter and May a lot more this time, Sally Field is pretty great here.

Sally Field is so good in these movies. The part where Peter tells her she needs to stop lying to him is a direct echo to my favorite scene in the first one where Peter asks her a question and she just stares at him agape.

The moment after Electro gets hosed down by Fireman Spidey, and Spidey walks over to Gwen and says, "London?" as something smashes a police car is so brilliant. Like he's trying to finish the conversation at the tree. I love this movie.

Saw this again at a double feature at the drive-in after Godzilla, and it's so much more fun to watch.

Also, I never saw anyone mention this, but did anyone else get this amazing opening night IMAX poster?

The actual poster feels oil painted, and Spidey raises out of it.

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 18:19 on May 27, 2014

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

bushisms.txt posted:

Also, I never saw anyone mention this, but did anyone else get this amazing opening night IMAX poster?

The actual poster feels oil painted, and Spidey raises out of it.

gently caress yeah, it's a pretty awesome poster, if I do say so myself :)

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

Thing I liked most about this movie was Electro, I sorta enjoyed the cheesiness of him at the start and then thought he kinda ruled when he turned all electricity but the best thing is how he "turned" - with the media giving him star billing on the big screens of Times Square & the crowds & authorities automatically projecting him as their bad guy super celebrity. It reminded me a lot of this fantastic video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PezlFNTGWv4

Thing I liked least was most of the movie, tbh. It was overlong, Radio 1 love-story schmalz and didn't have enough Spider-man being Spider-man moments which I was hoping for after enjoying the first one.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

I saw the movie over the weekend, and I ended up enjoying it even though I sort of went in expecting to be disappointed. I think one of the major problems, and it's been stated before, is that this really feels like two movies mashed together. This movie should have been Electro and intro to Harry, movie 3 should have been full blown Green Goblin and death of Gwen.

I did find myself not really caring about the Electro too much. I didn't really get his motivation. He went from loving Spiderman to hating him in a split second. I understand he wasn't completely stable, but if they would have actually developed the character perhaps I would have cared more. I really like the Harry stuff and the Gwen stuff, I thought it nailed it pretty well. I also think people complaining about "emo Peter Paker" is a little ridiculous, it by no means felt overwhelming. I also hear many people talk about how much better the original Spiderman trilogy was, and those films make this Peter look like a macho man in comparison.

My opinion is that this new series blows the original trilogy out of the water in almost every way, and I honestly do not get some of the hate these films get. I too didn't understand why they had to reboot it so soon after the others, but it's really for the best.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Given the silliness, it felt as if the script was originally written for a TV cartoon. Considering how superhero movies have come along in the past 15 years, this approach makes the movie feel like a throwback. It could have worked, though, had they spent more time working on the script.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I can't decide if I like the dynamic between Electro and Spider Man. It is obvious that we are supposed to be sympathetic to Max because he pretty much gets hosed over by everyone in the movie but Harry. But it just feels unresolved. It kind of feels like the relationship between Batman and Mr. Freeze, and yes, Batman still punches Freeze in the face all the same, but he at least acknowledges that Freeze is redeemable and extends at least a small amount of hope for his rehabilitation.

Its just like after their initial interaction, they just completely gloss over it.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

blackguy32 posted:

It is obvious that we are supposed to be sympathetic to Max because he pretty much gets hosed over by everyone in the movie but Harry.

One of the things I found that was a bit inconsistent was that while they did seem to want you to sympathize with him, they also showed how creepy/insane he could be prior to becoming Electro. It's one of the many issues I have with the first half of the movie.

On a sidenote, I'm not one to whine about 'MY IMMERSION!!!' when watching a movie, but when they played that song from the American Family Insurance commercials during a montage I was totally taken out of the movie. What a horrible choice of a song. Then again, I thought the soundtrack for this movie was terrible so I guess it's at least consistent with that.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

There is many valid points in this thread about how bad this movie is in so many ways. This stood out to me as one of the worst audio designs I have heard in a long time. Everything from Electros broken speaker voice to House music and Sony's latest love song to sell for the montage just irked me. The only good thing I can say about this film is it is the last time Kurtzman and Orci will be allowed near a Spider man movie.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Weirdly enough, that montage song was surprisingly appropriate given the lyrics about catching falling people and also backbones.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Junkie Disease posted:

The only good thing I can say about this film is it is the last time Kurtzman and Orci will be allowed near a Spider man movie.

Kurtzman is writing and directing Venom (now titled Venom Carnage :suicide: ) and is at the very least working on the story for Spider-Man 3.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Timby posted:

Kurtzman is writing and directing Venom (now titled Venom Carnage :suicide: ) and is at the very least working on the story for Spider-Man 3.

Thought Venom was dead on the water (again) since it was never mentioned when they gave release dates for Sinister Six and ASM3 or when the story about a female lead spinoff broke.

I just saw an elminated scene where Richard Parker is alive and he talks to Peter after Gwen's death. Is on the home release? Might had to pick it up if so.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Thought Venom was dead on the water (again) since it was never mentioned when they gave release dates for Sinister Six and ASM3 or when the story about a female lead spinoff broke.

Last section in the same story.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Oh, that explains it. I got the news of the spinoff through CBR and Newsarama and they didn't mentioned anything else.

Still, the odds for Venom seem pretty low and Newsarama questioned Kurtzman directing it thanks to his recent commitment to the mummy

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Conal Cochran posted:

People asking Peter Parker to get Spider-Man for them continues to be incredibly dumb. You think he can ask Spider-Man because he takes his pictures from a distance? Do people ask the paparazzi to get James Franco to come to their party? What if Peter Parker wasn't Spider-Man? How would that scene play out?

I agree with you, but FYI this literally happens successfully more than once in La Dolce Vita, the movie the term paparazzi comes from.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I just saw an elminated scene where Richard Parker is alive and he talks to Peter after Gwen's death. Is on the home release? Might had to pick it up if so.

I'll buy the Blu-ray just to play all the Electro scenes over and over again.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Well I finally saw this, and now I understand how they fit all those bad guys into one movie, they barely showed one! I was seriously pissed at that ending, daytime Rhino fight was the only thing I really wanted to see.

Olibu
Feb 24, 2008

The MSJ posted:

I'll buy the Blu-ray just to play all the Electro scenes over and over again.

This is all I want too. I thought the work on his first big scene was amazing, I wish more movies could blend everything together like that.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Junkie Disease posted:

There is many valid points in this thread about how bad this movie is in so many ways. This stood out to me as one of the worst audio designs I have heard in a long time. Everything from Electros broken speaker voice to House music and Sony's latest love song to sell for the montage just irked me. The only good thing I can say about this film is it is the last time Kurtzman and Orci will be allowed near a Spider man movie.

You're insane - the sound design was some of the best this year.

I find it crazy that everyone's holding up the dull as poo poo Winter Soldier as some pinnacle of superhero cinema and putting this down - it's like I've woken up in Bizarro world.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Mr. Flunchy posted:

I find it crazy that everyone's holding up the dull as poo poo Winter Soldier as some pinnacle of superhero cinema and putting this down - it's like I've woken up in Bizarro world.

Same, but opposite.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I liked both this and Winter Soldier because they were both good and fun in different ways :shrug:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

With all this talk about a female-led spinoff, it's a shame they just killed off Gwen Stacy, since Marvel have just created a version where she's Spider-Woman.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Weren't they talking about cloning her any way? Maybe Spider-man spends the next film being hunted by someone with the same powers and then BAM, its Gwen Stacey! Spin-off about her making her own way in the world, possible triangle with Mary Jane.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

http://www.mstarz.com/articles/34934/20140807/felicity-jones-black-cat-amazing-spider-man-2-plus-23.htm

Looks like that female spin-off might be Black Cat.

Sony apparently "hid" 23 things in ASM 2, one of them being that Felicia, Harry's assistant, is actually Felicia Hardy from the comics.

They also mentioned Electro's birthday cake colors and Paul Giamatti's rhino-styled boxers.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

PriorMarcus posted:

Weren't they talking about cloning her any way? Maybe Spider-man spends the next film being hunted by someone with the same powers and then BAM, its Gwen Stacey! Spin-off about her making her own way in the world, possible triangle with Mary Jane.

Would be pretty in-character for Green Goblin to clone her just to gently caress with Spidey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tripwyre
Mar 25, 2007

#RXT REVOLUTION~!

:ughh:

future scoopin'...

Mr. Flunchy posted:

This is one of the most technically stunning movies of the year, you are correct. Pretty well every single frame in the movie pops with bright comic book primary colour, and the sound design and score are similarly well-done. The problem is the script is such a god drat mess of slapped-together hodge-podge that no one gives a poo poo. Considering the "Bad Shot of the Day" series going on in the Comic Megathread, this movie is the anti-Avengers.

• Locked thread