Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anchors
Nov 27, 2007
My betting in the last tournament quickly left me broke and destitute.

Now that I've got all that losing out of the way, putting absolutely no points into anything in an attempt to get the most out of that sweet, sweet 20% interest rate will surely pay off big.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007
Battle Royale, Anchors, Dies Horribly, 10

gently caress ants, they let me down three times too many.

Anchors fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jul 28, 2011

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007
Snakemen are really looking up this tournament. I'm happy to see this, next to Antwomen, they are my favorite.

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007

Jazzimus Prime posted:

And poor SynthOrange drops to 0-7 in first round betting. :(

I can understand losing the bets on the kobolds, serpentman, and dark gnomes; those were underdogs that promised a large (albeit unlikely) payout. The bets on the trolls (especially the one that lost to the gremlin) are more difficult to explain.

It's all part of his master plan. Get everyone to believe he only picks losers, so as to generate a large chunk of money betting against him in the latter fights so he can clean up huge, classic hustle.

I'm on to you SynthOrange.

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007
Yeah, it used to be a silver bow and arrow were at least comparable to steel or iron. Had a lot of punch for you dwarfbuck and it looked flashy. Win-win.

Edit: In my testing during the team tournaments, I found slade and platinum arrows too heavy. They actually seemed to lose airspeed and either fall short or not penetrate.

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007
I'm drat proud of Robo-prancer and his unusual weaponry. I tried the same thing last tournament though and lost big time. It would actually be a really strong load-out if it wasn't for the whole no-parrys thing.

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007
I'm pretty sure the main advantage to multiple weapons is the increased parry rate.

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007
Ant Flow shall raise again, no matter how many times she is struck down! She shall return over and over again, month after month, like a beautiful phoenix.

All of her opponents shall wither and falter under the barrage of her muscle cramping kung-fu strikes!

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007
I'm surprised no one went for ranged weaponry, 3rd round points make for a very accurate archer.

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007
And with that, we're only five matches away from CIPA the molemarian's debut brawl, hell yeah!

All betting profits from when CIPA undoubtedly crushes Ted the Hurty will go towards charities benefiting children with nervous system disorders.

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007
Bah, this last match has shown that when it comes to it, wrestlers like Hiker Nos and CIPA don't choke like the rest.

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007
Finally, the new dawn is upon us. The dawn of the age of the molemarian, for when CIPA crushes her opponent Ted the Hurty into bone dust and blood sludge with her bare mole hands, there will be no doubt about the superiority of the Mole race!

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007
Well, drat. I knew I should've splurged and sacrificed a goat to the RNG gods.

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007
My preemptive condolences to you and your Bowbald, Krympshoenike.

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007
Just so everyone knows, Ted the Hurty's last opponent was an unarmed Molemarian with half the skill points unspent, so his fighting record may look good on paper, but it's like saying you successfully beat up a toddler.(I was counting on getting a tiny opponent)

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007
My Kobold is descended from a long line of Kobold nobility and as such is blinged out in a full suit of platinum. He will be an indestructible rock. I'm shooting for death by stavation.

edit:

quote:

- No platinum armor.

Well, I'm super dumb, back to the drawing board.

Edit2: Due to hard economic times, Sir Wally the Walleyed has had to sell off his platinum armor for a more practical set of bronze.

Anchors fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Feb 26, 2012

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007
Wow, I'm absolutely surprised that I won that, I figured a adamantium bow would do essentially no damage in melee even if super skilled. At least I won lost in a pretty sweet finisher.

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007
I always had a soft spot for abandoned kitties, I'll totally claim the tigerman if onetwentysix is a no-show.

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007
Yes!

Edit: Blast, a new page I didn't notice.

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007
Don't let me down, bad munki, I've bet my entire fortune on your victory!

No pressure.

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007
Finally, the strategy of of betting all my money on one fight has paid off.

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007
Yeah, archers are finally getting the skill to reliably strike a target from an arena's distance away. Scary stuff.

Anchors fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jul 10, 2012

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007
This is why wood armor is the best. Opponent tries to bite you and inject paralyzing venom? Boom, mouthful of splinters instead. Ultimate defense.

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007
Mine!

Edit: I'm also going to go ahead and request a password reset for the arena site.

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007
The deed is done! Excited to be back in action.

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007
Went all in on my newly acquired fighter, Dr Stranglelove. Figure this will either be my last great hurrah or an amazing comeback.

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007
Now I am become Death, the strangler of worlds.

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007
I'm really hoping that it comes down to Dies Horribly and Dr Stranglelove for the final match.

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007
Alright, Doc Strangle is ready to see the next patient.

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007
Bad Munki, you made your success betting on Dr. Stranglelove last time. I think we can all admit he had a good run but his luck has almost certainly run out. You should totally bet everything on the other dude.

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007

Iunnrais posted:

WOO! I bet everything on Stranglelove, and it paid off! WOO!

Really nerve wrecking with that early stun...

EDIT: How do you sever limbs with a pick? Don't picks do small area piercing damage?

It's not the size of your impact area that matters, but how much flesh-rending force you put behind it.

I'm so proud of my little guy.

Also, sweet hell, Zeetoo is richer than god.

Anchors fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Apr 2, 2014

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007
The good Dr. Stranglelove has provided for me so far, so I've bet every penny on him to win it all. Go big or go home.

I have to say, a huge rear end wrestler is about the only thing that really counters an adamantine can since it doesn't really protect me from having all my joints broken and, ironically, getting strangled to death.

That is to say, I'm glad the finale is going to as interesting as it is.

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007
Make it rain, Jazzimus!

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007
Yay, Thowing some bucks into the third place match. I believe in you Rocktavian!

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007

Bad Munki posted:

D) All of the above

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007

Iunnrais posted:

That was my low bet for the finals. As long as Dr. Stranglelove hasn't sold off his adamantine equipment between rounds, I feel pretty confident that my giant pile of money is still safe.

*weeps* 2000 dwarfbucks!

I was actually somewhat tempted to do something like this. Completely sell off everything and make him an archer or something.

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007
That's alright, I want my inevitable victory to have the appropriate amount of fanfare.

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007
Calling it now, the battle log consists of only a single line wherein that disgusting troll is cleaved in two by the good Doctor Strangle T. Love Esq.

Already Celebrating. :toot:

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007
Wow, that was legitimately a nail biter to read through, I figured Stranglelove would've been done for after the choke-hold since there's really no skill that directly helps with escaping holds, iirc.

Like, Congrats to ZeeToo for the absolute financial domination.

For anyone who is particularly interested, here is the final build for Dr. Stranglelove:

He has the following equipment.
Steel Pick
Steel Pick
Adamantine Cap
Adamantine Helm
Bronze Mail Shirt
Adamantine Breast Plate
Adamantine Greaves
Adamantine Gauntlets
Adamantine High Boots

He has the following skills.
Level 12 Fighting (Master)
Level 2 Wrestling (Adequate)
Level 3 Biting (Competent)
Level 8 Dodging (Expert)
Level 9 Armor (Professional)
Level 14 Misc. Object (Grand Master)
Level 1 Kicking (Novice)

The reason for the skill spread is basically to milk as many stat-ups as possible from experience by buying lots of the cheapest skills. Kicking, biting, and wrestling were basically just leftover points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007
Definitely making a king of the hill style arena.

The dwarfs have legends of such an arena at the end of days. They call it, The Cragnarock

• Locked thread