Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

megane posted:

Yeah, I entered a Kobold, but here's how every single test against a larger opponent goes:

The Minotaur 1 charges at Kobold 22!
Minotaur 1 collides with Kobold 22!
Kobold 22 is knocked over and tumbles backward!
[Several lines of kobold dismemberment]
Kobold 22 has been struck down.

Spending a huge number of points on dodging just adds several dozen lines of block/dodge spam to the top. I know supposedly dodge helps you avoid stuff when prone, but it seems like an unskilled guy attacking a prone Kobold with Dodge 10 and a buckler still hits nearly all the time. Oh well.

Well if you look at the attack formula, not taking armour into account:

RND(X) is a number between 0 and X so charging and size are both a pretty big deal.

Also, here is a quick and dirty arena map with 64 rings for everyone to test with. Copy and paste it over your current data/init/arena.txt:

http://sharetext.org/AWWH

If it looks ugly it's because I had to edit it for the new 10 paces starting distance.

e: These fights are going to be incredibly gory now that contestants don't pass out when they break a nail :black101:

e2: An example - I didn't let my arena finish collapsing before I paused and put the dudes in.

Jack the Lad fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Jul 23, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Jazzimus Prime posted:

Cool! Where did you get this? Did someone actually disassemble Toady's code and try to read the binary?

Toady posted over on the bay12 forums.

Toady posted:

Let's say we've got a weapon with damage 65. The craft quality modifier is applied to that, so say it was well-crafted and we therefore have 65*6/5. This is 390/5 = 78. Let's say the metal modifier is 75%, so it's then reduced to 58. This is divided by 10, 5. And then we pick a number from 1 to 5, say, 4. 4 is greater than (5+1)/2=3, so this attack is marked as "strong", and is therefore eligible for stuck-ins.

So we have a 4. Say the attacker is "strong" (str=1). We apply a modifier from 0 to 1, then. Say we get it, for a damage of 5. Say the attacker is berserk (0-4) and charging (0-5). Let's say those two rolls net us 4 more. Now we are a 9.

Now say the defender has a thick damblock 2 skin. We remove 0-2 points from our attack value, say 1. Now we are at 8. We then look at the size difference. In this case, let's say the attacker is 3 sizes larger. We add 0-3 points to the attack, say 2. Now we are at 10. If the size were smaller, you just flat subtract that number (no randomization).

Let's say the defender has a toughness of 2 (very tough, or whatever). We subtract 0-2, say 0. Still at 10. Being berserk/enraged can lower the attack damage if the defender is in that state, by 0-4, though I'm not sure why. I might intended the trance there, but I don't remember my rationale. In any case, still at 10.

Now say the defender is lying on the ground. The attacker isn't using a latchable attack, so we have the huge x2 damage bonus that comes from smacking a prone opponent. Now we are at 20.

Now we get to the defender's armor. Look at all of the items which cover the struck part, say the upper arm, and use the second/main damage block there according to all the up/down step stuff. Say there are two items on the part, blocking it for a total of 20+30=50. Craftquality and material modifiers work as with weapons, changing this to say 45. Then skill rolls are made against armor skill. The defender gets a good roll and manages to double the value, attaining a 90. This is divided by 10, giving us 9. Now we take 0-9 off the damage value, say 5. Now we are at 15. At this point, if the attack is at 0, and a very hard roll is made against the skill-modified hit roll, there is a chance it gets raised to 1 regardless of all prior obstacles. This in particular allows highly-skilled or lucky fighters to injure gigantic creatures.

Anyway, we are at 15. This is a very hard hit, so we apply all manner of horror to the creature. If the weapon is bludgeoning, it'll cause 15/2=7 bleeding, 15*10=150 exertion, 15*5=65 pain, and mangle the once healthy arm to 15-15=0, completely mangled. The damage is also greater than 9 and not piercing/goring/burning/etc., so the target can be propelled. If the weapon were slashing, the bleeding would be much greater (15). It wouldn't get stuck in because the creature can still be propelled by slashing weapons. There's also the whole matter of criticals, which I won't go into. And severs, which would have happened with a slashing weapon if we had gotten to 16 or if the part were already damaged in any way.

Also interesting is that the final attack number is multiplied by 2 if the defender is prone and the attacker is standing. So if you're bigger than someone you have a ton of advantages because everything compounds.

Jack the Lad fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Jul 23, 2011

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Vox Nihili posted:

I'm almost entirely sure that this is an old formula that has been largely superseded by changes made in recent versions. For example, "material" and "quality" are no longer just flat variables dropped a single equation, and actual damage dealt (what the equation is showing) is no longer a simple numerical value.

As complicated as this equation looks, the current version is far, far beyond this.

I expect so, yeah - Toady's post dates from June 2009.

It's still super interesting to see behind the scenes a little.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

How big are the Battle Royales going to be?

We have 32 contestants at the moment.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

I just noticed that some of the weapon costs on the chart are different to the list costs, and that some of them seem to be using the wrong multipliers.

Which values are correct?

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Can we get the new raws? :ohdear:

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

I've created #arenachallenge on irc.synirc.net.

Come hang out, chat and try to decide whether or not you want to tell the competition about your cool build idea.

e: Don't join and then leave if nobody's talking! It's a young channel.

Jack the Lad fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jul 27, 2011

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

So RickVoid just made 4384 off that bet, and has 5384 to start the actual betting with?

:drat:

Jack the Lad fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Jul 28, 2011

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Bozikek posted:

Does this not count as multiple enemies? I know it doesn't always happen, I was just hoping it would.

I believe, though I haven't tested this, that being up against multiple Independent opponents (as in a Battle Royale free-for-all) does not trigger a Martial Trance as being up against a team would.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Vox Nihili posted:

Ya, I have to agree on this. Otherwise we reward the three people who have the patience to check the totals on each and every fight and bet 1 buck on all the empty spots across from big bets.

Well, jeez.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Jazzimus Prime posted:

This is correct. Also,

Bonus +100 Dorfbux if your fighter participates in a fight and WINS
Bonus +10 Dorfbux if your fighter participates in a fight and doesn't win

Also, when you place a bet, you now see the total of all bets placed on each fighter for the current round!

It'd be really neat if the fighters could be listed with their race.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Jazzimus Prime posted:

I'll try to implement that tomorrow. Too sleepy to work on the site anymore tonight.

In the meantime, you can see a fighter's race from the betting screen by clicking the link to view the fighter.

Awesome. You've done really great work on this so far.

The other thing I'd suggest is way to view a list of the bets you've placed so far.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

There's some kind of weird surface area/volume calculation going on with armour and sizing which means that Gremlin armour is something like tinfoil whereas Yeti armour is something like wearing a locomotive engine.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Bozikek posted:

Hope you guys will indulge a dumb question, how do you name units in the arena? I can't seem to do through the interface.

I don't think you can. As far as I know, Vox just find-replaces "Dwarf 1" with the guy's name.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Maugrim posted:

Once you get into the charge/knockdown loop, all the armour in the world won't save you from the eventual lucky headshot or whatever.

Not to mention that even Copper goes through Gremlin Steel.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

That almost makes up for me losing like half my money betting against him.

e: Jazzimus, would it be possible to have a new column on the My Bets page showing what the payout will be if you win?

Jack the Lad fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Aug 8, 2011

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

SynthOrange posted:

You can cancel bets by entering 0 on any old bets you have.

I just cancelled some of my 1-buck bets, then realised that this almost certainly isn't intentional/allowed.

Is there a record of my old bets? I can't remember which I took down.

e:
pre:
Player Name 	Total Funds 	Available Funds 	Outstanding Bets
rickvoid 	7625.15 	128.00 	                350.00p
:signings:

Jack the Lad fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Aug 8, 2011

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

There are only 3 matches more before mine.

I can't stand the suspense!

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Iron Lung Jack is the very same elf who perished in that fateful free-for-all so long ago..

Vox Nihili posted:

Cheetahman hacks Jack in the upper body with his iron great axe, tearing apart the muscle and tearing apart the left lung!
An artery has been opened by the strike!
Jack is having trouble breathing!
The iron great axe has lodged firmly in the wound!
Smash Mouth hacks Jack in the upper body with his bronze battle axe, tearing apart the muscle and tearing apart the right lung!
Jack is having more trouble breathing!
The bronze battle axe has lodged firmly in the wound!
Cheetahman twists the embedded iron great axe around in Jack's upper body!
Smash Mouth twists the embedded bronze battle axe around in Jack's upper body!
Jack misses Cheetahman!

The clanking, whirring, clockwork engine that now fills his chest cavity captures the departing souls of his defeated foes to power itself.

Only by dint of constant butchery can he sustain his dread unlife.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

My Elf is fighting a Tigerman.

I've bet all my money on him.

This is good for anyone who wants to bet against him - odds at 8 to 1 at the moment.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Jazzimus Prime posted:

We're still waiting on Shorter than Some to update his fighter Dr Stranglelove, then we can begin the next round.

I'll adopt him if not!

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Woah. Go little guys!

Also Jazzimus your commentary is the best and you are the best.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Awesome writeup and great work throughout, Jazzimus.

I look forward to the next one if and when! :hfive:

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

I am hella down for chopping up some dwarves.

Jazzimus you are a saint for working on this so long and diligently.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

1 spot left!

e: Beaten. Will we also get team assignments once they're all taken?

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

And they're gone!

Let the madness begin.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

apostateCourier and Anchors, we're in Team 2.

Let's do this thing.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Jazzimus Prime posted:

There should be a data/init/macros folder in the DF folder, you drop them in there.

Ctrl-L to load a macro, Ctrl-P to play the macro from the Create Creature screen.

Now we just need a testing version where it creates and places 64 copies in the 64-ring arena map someone made last time around :black101:

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

King Cohort posted:

Hey, Duckaerobics--I think you need to modify your moleman Sunny a bit. 19 out of 20 fights between your fighter and mine (as they stand right now on the website) have ended with my guy winning, and the one loss resulted from a lucky fractured skull that didn't even kill Pulver; it only stunned him. It took two more hits to the head to actually kill him.

Your deaths mostly come from all your limbs being crushed into paste before you can do any real damage. About half the time, my fighter isn't even wounded before the fight ends.

If I were you, I would skip out on some of that expensive armor and put more points into skills, especially Fighting--you don't have much in the way of skills and it really shows.

Check out this guy giving away all his team tactics.

*scribbles frantically in notebook*

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

But don't tell my heart, my achy breaky heart
I just don't think it'd understand
And if you tell my heart, my achy breaky heart
He might blow up and kill this man

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

I just want to say a big thank you to the volunteer commissioners blasting through these fights.

It's so fast! :tviv:

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Does anyone have the edited object testing arena map with the 32 separate rings? It's better for testing than doing fights one by one :getin:

Also, is there any chance of adding something to the website whereby we can build fighters and download their macros separately from a tournament? It would be really handy.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

quote:

In a dazzling flash Jack bats the arrow out of the way with his sword and it collides harmlessly with the wall behind him.
This is awesome.

Also, he died as he lived: hardcore :black101:

quote:

Whip It Out lashes Jack in the head with his steel scourge, tearing the muscle!
Whip It Out lashes Jack in the head with his steel scourge, tearing the muscle and fracturing the skull!
Whip It Out lashes Jack in the head with his steel scourge, tearing apart the muscle and fracturing the skull!
Whip It Out lashes Jack in the head with his steel scourge, tearing apart the muscle and fracturing the skull!
An artery has been opened by the attack!
The flying {adamantine arrow} strikes Jack in the right upper leg, chipping the bone!
A tendon has been torn!
The {adamantine arrow} has lodged firmly in the wound!
Whip It Out lashes Jack in the head with his steel scourge, tearing apart the muscle!
Whip It Out lashes Jack in the head with his steel scourge, tearing apart the muscle!
Whip It Out lashes Jack in the head with his steel scourge, tearing apart the muscle, fracturing the skull!
Whip It Out lashes Jack in the head with his steel scourge and the injured part is cloven asunder!
Jack has been struck down.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

The main tournament will also be 3v3 teams, right?

Are any of the non-Jazzimus commissioners planning on running a 1v1 tournament alongside?

If not, I'd be interested to do so.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

I have archer team (and fighter) concepts that I think could be pretty strong.

What are you guys using as a testbed for fighter concepts?

I currently put my ideas up against a wrestling yeti, a two-handed sword tigerman, a naked highly skilled human and a fully armoured human.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

As I understand it, bonus attacks granted by Fighting are free - as in they don't replace an attack with your weapon you were going to make, they just happen, outside of the usual tick timer.

That said, I'm still not sure of its value as a skill and I didn't have any on my fighter.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Okay folks, I've put together an edited arena map with 64 rings for your testing pleasure.

You'll need to save it as arena.txt and replace the file by that name in the data\init folder in your DF installation to use it.

Enjoy!

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Awesome work on the finale, Maugrim!

Quoting myself because this got lost in the excitement:

Jack the Lad posted:

Okay folks, I've put together an edited arena map with 64 rings for your testing pleasure.

You'll need to save it as arena.txt and replace the file by that name in the data\init folder in your DF installation to use it.

Enjoy!

And also humbly requesting that the second test tournament be 1v1.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

I like Ironhand - it has a clean look and better colours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

So when's the next thingy planned for? I'm hype! :black101:

• Locked thread