Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Hopefully my sponsored fighter, Onan the barbarian, makes it in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Rookie question? Do we have to do anything with macros?

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Bene Elim posted:

Happy to be with you, Ramc and Afriscipio!

Two Elves and a human may not sound like the most interesting group, but I'm sure we can come up with something interesting still die horribly.

I can post an email address if you want to communicate that way, or we can just build what we want and see how it goes.

I'm happy to mail you if you're serious about strategy. I was planning on buying the biggest sword I can afford and sending Onan off to die terribly gloriously.

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

I propose we change Team 15 to Team Meat and Two Veg.

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Is there any benefit to unspent points?

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Ramc posted:

My one bit of tactical advice for Meat and Two Veg is that maybe Onan should consider a blunt weapon so we have damage-type diversity (slash-bash-stab)

Well, I always imagined Onan as a blunt instrument.

And now, another question. For big, blunt objects, does hardness matter, or just weight? Silver seems better than iron for a mace, or am I misunderstanding?

Afriscipio fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Aug 8, 2014

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

How does the armor skill work? Is there some way to gauge how effective it is and how encumbered your fighter is?

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Ramc posted:

If we do make it past the qualifiers, Meat and Two Veg, we probably should try to strategize a little. As-is though I think we have a solid, competent start with the points allotted.

Sure, we can change things up if we need to. We'll see if our current strategy of poke, slash and smash needs improving.

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Brutal, just brutal. I'm liking the chances of two well-shielded tree-huggers flanking a strong, upright human clad in glistening iron.

BTW, is there any way to see the load-outs of the fighters for the matches that are already finished?

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Bene Elim posted:

I offer this up as one of the most :black101: kills in the tourney so far.

It seems like the spear and sword did most of the work before the maul finished the job. Stab, slash and smash supremacy!

What is best in life?
To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to bash PedAnt in the head with a platinum maul and see the injured part smashed into the body.

Unrelated question: Onan was kicking Pulpy Van Winkle, even though he doesn't have any kicking skill. Was this because PvW was prone?

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

I go away for four days and return to see Onan and pals brutally slaughtered. Where did we go wrong?

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

That certainly was something...

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Wow. Treeloved is a elven murder machine.

I'm beginning to think a maul is too unwieldy for a human to manage, or maybe Onan is better at being a meat shield than an actual fighter.

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Ramc, Bene Elim, do we want to change anything about our fighters? Or just upgrade our current skills and equipment?

Afriscipio fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Aug 27, 2014

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

My dorfbucks! This is what I get for betting on the team that beat my team.

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

That fight lasted a long time, most of it being a cruel display of violence to helpless, downed fighters. I'm not condoning Onan and Treeloved's behavior, but you can't argue with the results.

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Wow. That was some fight. It seems that a maul was not the most intelligent choice for Onan...

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

SynthOrange posted:

What the gently caress you guys

Compost Day, Onan & Treeloved
Dental Surgeons

Extractions are our specialty. Ask about our group discount.

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

When will the final matches of the tournament be run? I'm going away on business shortly and I don't want to miss them.

Looking at the betting so far, Meat and Two Veg are the underdogs.
The Wild Animals: 23,003
Meat and Two Veg: 9,900

Whereas for the 3rd place playoff, the teams have almost equal bets.
The Good, The Bad, And The Bravo: 6,566
Catholicism: 6,065

Afriscipio fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Sep 2, 2014

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Maugrim, thanks for the awesome writeup, and thanks to everyone who's run a fight so far.

For the record, Onan ended up like this:

Platinum War Hammer
Steel Helm
Steel Mail Shirt
Steel Breast Plate
Steel Greaves
Steel Gauntlets
Steel High Boots

He has the following skills.
Level 5 Fighting (Proficient)
Level 14 Hammer (Grand Master)
Level 8 Dodging (Expert)
Level 10 Armor (Accomplished)

Onan started off with a maul, which seemed to be too slow or too heavy for him to really be effective, so I swapped it out for a war hammer for the last fight. The idea behind the build was to be a steel-clad damage soak with the biggest stick the game allowed, but downsizing the stick in the end worked out.

We didn't have a team gimmick, as such, we just split our weapon types between piercing, slashing and bashing, and concentrated on weapon skill.

Now I've built something sensible, time to move onto a something a bit more esoteric!

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Ramc posted:

There is nothing more important than meaningless internet bragging rights.

Hear, hear!

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Vincent van Gob steps up the easel. His canvas is the arena and his medium is blood!

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Anyone on team Ugly Stick want to coordinate?

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

I'm getting the feeling that four sensibly equipped fighters are going to walk away with the prize, same as last time. Unfortunately, that's not team Ugly Stick. Fortunately, my feelings are almost always wrong.

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Altoid: murder dwarf. The combat log for a long section just reads: Altoid bashes Vincent Van Gob in various body parts.

I thought it would be a more even match - there go all my dorfbucks.

Afriscipio fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Sep 18, 2014

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

I used to think that I was a civilized person, who shunned blood sports. Now, I have to reassess my self-image. I think I understand the Romans and their enthusiasm for the arena a bit better.

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Rule 1: don't move faster than your teammates.

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

The combination of lower skill points and less equipment puts the big guys at a huge disadvantage in the early rounds, I think. Especially, when you factor in the little-guy dodge factor.

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

"At least I won one match."

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

I think that's the most Vincent has done all tournament. Three decapitations.

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

The most important question of this tournament is who to bet on for the playoffs. Who can choose between Two and Two Half Men and All Slade Gauntlets All Day Long?

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Team legs let me down. 1500 dorfbucks down the drain. They didn't have a leg to stand on.

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Vincent - the only reward for competence is a painful, prolonged beating followed by being cut in half.

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Axes seem to be pretty effective for removing body parts that opponents don't really need, like their heads.

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

That's a yes.

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Gob son of Gob has entered.

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Mechanics question:
Does having a single handed weapon, without a shield, give any strength or penetration bonus? i.e. Can can a fighter wield a one handed weapon in two hands?

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

That wasn't very nice thing to do to that cat. What were the respective fighters armed with?

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Bad Munki posted:

gently caress this game forever. I cut someone's neck out and it's not enough.

Goblin necks are surprisingly tough, it seems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

This is shaping up to be an interesting tournament. Put all my dwarfbucks on My Dad!

Also, mauls are not good. I had high hopes for my maul man in the last tournament, but it seemed too slow to be effective. When my fighter got a hit in it didn't do much, and this was a platinum maul. I paid top dollar for a terrible weapon.

• Locked thread