Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
:siren::siren::siren:The ArenaChallenge Website FAQ:siren::siren::siren:

How do I register for the ArenaChallenge website?

First, visit the Arena Challenge website at: http://arenachallenge.com

Click the "Register" button at the top of the page. Enter your SA forums username, an e-mail address at which you can be contacted, and a password. Your account will be registered, but will not be activated just yet.

Upon successfully registering at the Arena Challenge website, you will receive a numeric code value. Post this numeric code value over in the Arena Challenge Registration and Tech Support Thread, and the Arena Challenge administrators will activate your account.

Note that your Arena Challenge password does NOT have to be the same as your SA Forums password. In fact, I strongly suggest that you choose something different, because at least one (now permabanned) forums user tried to steal forum passwords in this sort of manner before, and I don't even want to be suspected of anything like that. But with that having been said, I only store an encrypted version of your Arena Challenge password on the server, so I don't have any way of knowing what you have chosen for a password anyway. This means that if you forget your password, I can't send your old one to you, but I can reset it to a new password and send you that.

Why do we need to register at a different website now in order to participate?

In the past, the data management work required to run Dwarf Fortress Arena Challenge was an incredible pain in the rear end. Players would e-mail Vox Nihili their fighter builds, and then he would have to keep track of points and upgrades and the like for nearly 100 fighters at a time. All of this would slow things down considerably, and would also introduce the possibility of human error.

The ArenaChallenge.com website will allow players to manage their own fighters, and the server will handle all of the data management. In addition, the server does other cool things to support the tournaments, such as creating Dwarf Fortress macros that will automatically build each fighter with their relevant skills and items, automatically generating schedules and tournament brackets, handle tournament betting, and more.

I've registered for the site. How do I make sure that my fighter gets to participate in the tournament?

From the Manage Fighters screen on the site, select your fighter and then select Apply for this fighter to join a tournament. If there is a new tournament that is currently accepting applicants, you should then be able to select that tournament.

I just created a fighter, but I didn't get any points to allocate! What gives?

Fighters will not receive their starting points until they have joined a new tournament. The reason for this is that the starting points for certain fighter races might be changed between tournaments for purposes of game balance. Therefore, we cannot give fighters their starting points until the new tournament is underway, or else certain fighters may have an unfair advantage or disadvantage depending on when they were created.

Help! I can't remember my password for the site!

Post a password reset request in the Arena Challenge Tech Support and Registration Thread.

How do fighter macros work?

From either the Manage Fighter or View Fighter pages for a fighter that you own, there should be a link that says Download this fighter's macro. Note that the site will prevent you from downloading a macro for a fighter you do not own, with the exception of your fighter's teammates in a team-based tournament.

From here, click the "Download this fighter's macro" link. The .MAK file you download should be placed in your DwarfFortress/data/init/macros folder.

In order to use the macros generated by the site, from the main screen after loading Dwarf Fortress, you must first select Object Testing Arena.

In the arena, press k for the Look Around / Create menu. Once there, press c to create a creature.

From there, press Ctrl-L to load your macro, then Ctrl-P to run it. Then just sit back and watch as your fighter's skills and items are created for you automatically.

More to come...

Jazzimus Prime fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Oct 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

SynthOrange posted:

Oh god I need my password reset on the challenge site and I cant find where to send the request. :ohdear:

Request a password reset here:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3349284

This will be included in the Website FAQ post above once I'm finished editing it.

Although, SynthOrange, it looks as though you've registered your fighter for the tournament already anyway?!

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
Over one-quarter of the spots in the tournament (18 of 64) have already been taken!

If there proves to be sufficient interest, and if Vox is willing, we might even expand this tourney to 128 participants!

Brick Moses posted:

I've been reading through the "creature_arena.txt" file and can't figure out whether a strangler's bite is more effective than other species'. They have more strength, sure, but what else?

Krysmphoenix posted:

That's Dwarf Fortress' description of the race, not quite Vox's description of it. So it's bite is effectively the same, just a different size race with different strength.

Krysm is correct, I used the basic descriptions for each fighter race from the default creature descriptions in the DF raws as defined by Toady.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

VladTheEater posted:

Also, I changed my mind and I'd like to switch my Soldier Ant Woman 'Antrea' to my new Minotaur, 'The Cretan Cretin'

Done.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

cucka posted:

Volunteering to be a hammerdwarf. Any characterization is fine, but if you need ideas, i'm open for it.

Great! Please go ahead and register, and enter your hammerdwarf into the tournament!

I don't totally blame you for jumping the gun, seeing as how you might have to wait an extra week or two to get dwarfed in a traditional DF fortress thread if you stop and take the time to read the entire thread. But this isn't one of those traditional DF fortress threads, and it doesn't work quite like the ones you might be used to.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

Bad Munki posted:

Two questions:

1) Do leftover points just sit there unused, or do they disappear, or do they get the % increase like last time? I can't remember what the decision was and I didn't see anything about it in the OP.

2) Am I not supposed to have any points available with which to customize my fighter at this time? I can't remember if that's normal or not. :)

1. They get the percentage increase.

2. You will receive your points when the tournament starts. I probably should have gone ahead and set it to grant the points as soon as you join the tournament, but it's too late to change that now.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
57 of the available slots have been taken.

If the tournament is not increased to 128 participants, I believe that this means that only the next three participants are guaranteed to have a spot in the tournament, as up to four spots may be decided by Battle Royale contests.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

Shorter Than Some posted:

I thought it was, I'd appreciate it if it could be changed to this.

I've changed it for you.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

JoeCool posted:

Uhh, for some reason my fighter Gary "Hanzo" Busey came out as Gary \\\"Hanzo\\\" Busey, can you fix that?

Sometimes proxy servers put backslashes in front of form-input quotation marks for some strange reason. I'll fix it for you as soon as my broadband internet comes back online I'm having to post this from my Android for the moment

edit: My broadband is back up and I've fixed it for you.

Jazzimus Prime fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jul 23, 2011

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

SynthOrange posted:

If you're bumping this up to 128 AND still doing the losers bracket, I'm going to have to call you a crazy person.

Vox decided not to do the loser's bracket this time around.

If my math is correct, 128-fighter single elimination should generate the same number of matches as 64-fighter double elimination.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
It's been just over 24 hours, and 82 of 128 spots have already been taken! That's almost two thirds!

It's nice that it's taking more than 24 hours to fill up this tournament though. The previous tournament allowed only 64 participants, and filled up in less than 24 hours. Because of this, quite a few people who lived on the other side of the earth weren't able to join that one before it was closed. For this tournament, however, there are no excuses!

Jack the Lad posted:

Cool! Where did you get this? Did someone actually disassemble Toady's code and try to read the binary?

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

Jack the Lad posted:

Toady posted over on the bay12 forums.

Also interesting is that the final attack number is multiplied by 2 if the defender is prone and the attacker is standing. So if you're bigger than someone you have a ton of advantages because everything compounds.

Very interesting. This information could probably be useful for purposes of game balancing.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

Kwathi posted:

Glad to hear there is still space, though I haven't got my registration at the Arena Challenge site confirmed yet. I'm assuming there's just a backlog, or people are actually out having lives. Anyway, hoping to have the chance to present the best adequatest least worst most easily talked into a near-certain death goblinkind has to offer!

I just approved all the queued-up registrations, so you're good to go.

Halloween Jack posted:

My fighter, Lon Chaney's Lover, is having the same issue. TIA

Fixed.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
102 of 128 spots have been taken! It looks like we might get the tournament filled up this weekend!

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

Maugrim posted:

If someone does adopt a gladiator, do they get assigned control of them on Jazzimus' site? And can this take them past the 4-gladiator-per-person limit on there?

Yes and yes.

We'll send an e-mail alert and give players advance notice if they are holding up the start of a round due to their fighter not having been updated, but once Vox decides to move forward with the next round, he'll probably allow fighters to be adopted in this thread by other players, with preference given to players who either couldn't join the tournament, or who have already had their fighters get eliminated. That's how it has worked in the past, anyway.

Also, 105 spots claimed, only 23 open spots left!

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
The tournament is now more than 90% full! Only 11 spots are still open!

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

Halloween Jack posted:

So we don't get our points yet, right?

As soon as the tournament is full, everyone gets their points.

I'll probably change that for the next tournament. I had originally set it up this way so that Vox could make last-second changes to item or skill costs if he needed to.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
:siren::siren::siren: ONLY TWO GUARANTEED* SPOTS LEFT IN THE TOURNAMENT! :siren::siren::siren:

Enter your fighter NOW if you haven't already!

*It is possible that the 128th spot will need to be earned in a Battle Royale, if there continues to be interest after the tourament is full.

Jazzimus Prime fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Jul 25, 2011

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

Bozikek posted:

Can we sell equipment between rounds to recoup some cost or are we stuck with it after we buy it? Sorry if this was answered before but I could not find it in the OP.

Yes, you may sell equipment between rounds for half the original purchase price.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

Jack the Lad posted:

I just noticed that some of the weapon costs on the chart are different to the list costs, and that some of them seem to be using the wrong multipliers.

Which values are correct?

The correct values, as stored in the fighter creation database, are available here:

http://www.arenachallenge.com/dwarffort/view_rules.php

Oh, and by the way...

:siren: :siren: :siren: ALL 128 SLOTS ARE TAKEN!!!! YOU MAY NOW BUILD YOUR FIGHTERS ON THE SITE!!!!!! :siren: :siren: :siren:

Late stragglers may still have a chance to earn a spot in the tournament via Battle Royale, if Vox Nihili is still willing! Post in this thread stating your interest to do so, if your fighter didn't make it into the tournament proper!

IMPORTANT NOTE:

The first round schedule has NOT been generated yet! Vox Nihili will allow several days for all participants to create their builds, and then the matchups will be randomly generated. You won't know who you're up against until after you've built your fighter!

Jazzimus Prime fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Jul 25, 2011

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

TheWhaler posted:

By the way, is it possible to rename my fighter to Midas' Touch? It would fit the new theme of my minotaur a bit better.

Sure, I've gone ahead and done that.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
For any other late-comers, when e-mailing a build for the Battle Royale to Vox Nihili, please send it to him in the following format:
-----------

Name: Example Man
User: Vox Nihili
Race: Human

Skills
Sword Level 5 (450)
Fighting Level 4 (150)

600 points spent on skills, 600 remaining

Equipment
Weapon(s):
Steel Long Sword (550)
Armor:
Copper Helm (50)

0 points left

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
:siren: BATTLE ROYALE BETTING :siren:

The good news: When Vox is ready to run the Battle Royale, we WILL allow betting on the Battle Royale match!

The bad news: Although the website can be used for betting, I didn't have time to implement betting on Battle Royale type matches; I only implemented betting for one-on-one matches. This means that Battle Royale bets will have to be placed in this thread, and your funds on the site will be updated to reflect whether you win or lose.

The news that could be interpreted as either good or bad, depending on your circumstances: As you know, a Battle Royale match has many fighters and only one winner. This means that the vast majority of bettors will lose their bets on the Battle Royale match. However, for those bettors who are able to pick the winner, they can almost certainly expect that the payout ratios will be much higher. A small bet could pay out 10 to 1, or more!

Some other notes regarding betting:
  • The Battle Royale gambling window will be opened as soon as Vox closes sign-ups for the Battle Royale. I do not know how long Vox will keep the betting window open before he runs the Battle Royale, but in the past he has generally allowed at least 24 hours.

• Everyone (including those not participating in the tournament!) will receive 1000 currency units (conventionally referred to as Dorfbux) to bet with as they wish.

• You are not obligated to place a bet on any match, as betting is entirely optional. However, if you bet everything on yourself every round, and then proceed to win every match, you will win both the betting championship and the tournament championship, as Bene Elim demonstrated in the previous tournament. (Note that this particular strategy only works if you actually do win every match, otherwise, you lose all of your money as well.)

• If you do place a bet, you will lose whatever you bet if the fighter you bet on loses, and you will gain your share of the pot if the fighter you bet on is victorious. The "pot" is the full sum of all dorfbux bet on that particular match, and your share of the pot is determined by the amount of your winning bet divided by the sum total of all winning bets.

• You will receive a special bonus of 100 dorfbux when your fighter wins a tournament match, and a special bonus of 10 dorfbux when your fighter competes in a tournament match but does not win.

• Whoever finishes the tournament with the most dorfbux can expect to receive a special upgrade for their fighter in the next tournament; one that provides a slight advantage, but nothing game-breaking.

• If you win a bet, your newly-won funds will not be available until the next round. The Battle Royale counts as its own round for these purposes. There will be eight rounds total in this tournament (seven tournament rounds, plus the Battle Royale).
Good luck to all! :black101:

Jazzimus Prime fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jul 27, 2011

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

Bad Munki posted:

With that in mind, did you need me to run the betting for the battle royal round, like before?

It's not NEEDED, but if you're VOLUNTEERING... :D

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

RickVoid posted:

Allow me to lead off the betting with 1000 DB on Die's Horribly, Battle Royale.

Let me know if I need to fix the formatting for this bet.

I'll make sure that Bad Munki receives your bet, as (I think?) he has magnanimously volunteered to track the betting for the Battle Royale round. Otherwise, I'll track the bets.

And seeing as how the Battle Royale gladiators have not been announced yet, I'm guessing you've bet it all on yourself! This will pay off handsomely if you win, and it will certainly make for an interesting round of betting even if you don't, seeing as the pot has already been generously seeded!

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
:siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren:

Have you already built your fighter using the site? Then, if you want to test your build more efficiently, you may be wondering...

How do fighter macros work?

It's been said that testing your fighter's build is for chumps. If you agree with this, do not read this post any further.

From either the Manage Fighter or View Fighter pages for a fighter that you own, there should be a link that says Download this fighter's macro. Note that you cannot download a macro for a fighter you do not own! You're welcome to try it, but it won't work.

But anyway, click the "Download this fighter's macro" link. The .MAK file you download should be placed in your DwarfFortress/data/init/macros folder.

In order to use the macros generated by the site, from the main screen after loading Dwarf Fortress, you must first select Object Testing Arena.

In the arena, press k for the Look Around / Create menu. Once there, press c to create a creature.

From there, you will have to select your fighter's race, gender, and team manually. SINCE THIS TOURNAMENT CONSISTS OF ONE-ON-ONE MATCHES AND NOT TEAM MATCHES, JUST LEAVE THE TEAM SETTING THE WAY IT IS ("INDEPENDENT").

The reason you must select your fighter's race and gender (and perhaps team, if we implement team matches in a future tournament) is that there is no way to "reset" the choice of race, gender, or team from this menu, and because of the way that DF macros work at the moment, a macro would already have to "know" where the cursor is in order in order to set those values reliably regardless of where the cursor already is. Since there is currently no way that the macro can know where the cursor is when you create a fighter, I've designed things such that macros will only create the skills and items for a created character, and they will only do this only from the Create a Creature screen.

So anyway, after selecting your fighter's race, gender, and team, press Ctrl-L to load your macro, then Ctrl-P to run it. Sit back and watch as your fighter's skills and items are created. This might not save all that much time the first time you do it, but after running a half dozen or more fights, then you just might come to appreciate this feature.

Jazzimus Prime fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Jul 27, 2011

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
I think the elf, dwarf, or goblin will probably win, but I refuse to bet against myself. So...

Battle Royale, Jazzimus, Atom Ant in Adamant, 200

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
So close. Well, second place in the Battle Royale is a lot better than I did last tournament, where my fighter was the first one killed.

edit: VVVV Plus 100 bonus dorfbux for winning the match. VVVV

Jazzimus Prime fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Jul 28, 2011

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

Jimmy4400nav posted:

I'm curious, what were the two Ant-Women's skills, or did they go into the fight unskilled?

Atom Ant in Adamant's skills were:

Level 3 Fighting (90 points)
Level 4 Mace (300 points)
Level 1 Biting (10 points)

And items:
Silver Flail (300 points)
Adamantine Helm (600 points)

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Okay, thank you. Did you buy the Adamantine helm because Ant-People have vulnerable heads or because it looks cool?

Several reasons. Vulnerable head, looks cool, and it also gave me a gimmick that worked with my fighter's name.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
I believe that these are the final results of the Battle Royale betting. If anyone thinks they see a mistake, please let me know, otherwise the player funds will be updated tonight to reflect this information.

code:
===============================================================
Fight: Brawl
Atom Ant in Adamant vs. Biggs Manfighter vs. Binary Mary vs. Crotch Rot vs. Dies Horribly vs. Grodimus Thunderbeard
---------------------------------------------------------------
Chump                  Champ                  Change     Payout
Tag Plastic            Atom Ant in Adamant       100       0.00
FiddlersThree          Atom Ant in Adamant       100       0.00
Ionnracht              Atom Ant in Adamant        50       0.00
Jazzimus               Atom Ant in Adamant       200       0.00
Samopsa                Atom Ant in Adamant       100       0.00
ChickenWing            Atom Ant in Adamant       200       0.00
Klokwurk               Atom Ant in Adamant       100       0.00
ZeeToo                 Atom Ant in Adamant        50       0.00
Maugrim                Biggs Manfighter          150       0.00
Bozikek                Biggs Manfighter          100       0.00
longgonejohn           Biggs Manfighter          200       0.00
HiHo ChiRho            Biggs Manfighter          300       0.00
Klokwurk               Biggs Manfighter          100       0.00
Gildiss                Biggs Manfighter          100       0.00
Podima                 Biggs Manfighter          100       0.00
ZeeToo                 Biggs Manfighter           50       0.00
Dallbun                Biggs Manfighter          100       0.00
Jimmy4400nav           Binary Mary               100       0.00
Tag Plastic            Binary Mary               100       0.00
Arrhythmia             Binary Mary               100       0.00
longgonejohn           Binary Mary               100       0.00
Orv                    Binary Mary               500       0.00
Goatie                 Binary Mary                10       0.00
ZeeToo                 Binary Mary                50       0.00
Silverminnow           Binary Mary               250       0.00
Vox Nihili             Binary Mary                50       0.00
Krysmphoenix           Crotch Rot                200       0.00
Jeans                  Crotch Rot                100       0.00
steinrokkan            Crotch Rot                 50       0.00
ChickenWing            Crotch Rot                200       0.00
Iunnrais               Crotch Rot                100       0.00
ZeeToo                 Crotch Rot                 50       0.00
RickVoid               Dies Horribly            1000    4428.31
Anchors                Dies Horribly              10      44.28
Synthorange            Dies Horribly             100     442.83
Pure kamikaze          Dies Horribly             100     442.83
Erakko                 Dies Horribly             200     885.66
Fredrik1               Dies Horribly             250    1107.08
Public Opinion         Grodimus Thunderbeard     150       0.00
goatface               Grodimus Thunderbeard     131       0.00
Boing                  Grodimus Thunderbeard     250       0.00
Jonis                  Grodimus Thunderbeard     500       0.00
AmadeusVonBlastoise    Grodimus Thunderbeard     150       0.00
Zarah                  Grodimus Thunderbeard     200       0.00
TheWhaler              Grodimus Thunderbeard     150       0.00
Dirty Frank            Grodimus Thunderbeard     100       0.00
Total                                           7351    7350.99
===============================================================

ADDITIONAL FIGHTER PARTICIPATION BONUS

+100.00 - RickVoid
 +10.00 - Podima
 +10.00 - Snake Fist
 +10.00 - Jazzimus Prime
 +10.00 - Smarms
 +10.00 - ThCawdor
edit: Wow, we posted our results at the exact same minute, even. I'll go ahead and go with rounding to whole numbers like you did, then.

Jazzimus Prime fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jul 28, 2011

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
Betting results have been updated on the site!

http://arenachallenge.com/dwarffort/view_betting_leaders.php?4

Note that it does not appear that HiHo ChiRho has registered at the site, so I was not able to update the site with his results, but everyone else who bet on or participated in the Battle Royale should be there.

rickvoid has jumped out to a commanding lead, but there are still seven rounds of betting to go, and anything can happen!

Bad Munki posted:

I got the email saying my dude wasn't set up. He is now set up. Ready to fail spectacularly (I don't expect to make it past round one but I suspect that if I do, it'll be...quite something.)

We're still waiting on three more players to update their fighters. Once they are done, we can generate the randomized first round matchups, and open them up for betting! Once the matchups are generated, the fighter builds for the first round will be "locked in".

Jazzimus Prime fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jul 28, 2011

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

jackyl posted:

Is the macro working fine for everyone? For some reason, whenever I try it in the official arena build, it assigns equipment fine, but not skills. It is simple to run, so I don't think I'm missing anything there. Female gremlin if that matters.

The cursor needs to be highlighting the leftmost column (the fighter race list) when you run the macro. I neglected to mention that.

Jazzimus Prime fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jul 29, 2011

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

Halloween Jack posted:

Who's taking the anime snake?

It looks like Albedo just did finally show up and claim the fighter.

SirPenguin's male dwarf fighter Urvad has still not been outfitted, though, and is available to claim.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

Quadratic_Wizard posted:

I'll adopt Urvad!

Please take a moment to register your account at http://arenachallenge.com, and ownership of the fighter will be transferred over to you as soon as Vox gives the go-ahead.

EDIT: If you aren't able to register and activate your account today, the fighter could be given to the first registered and activated player who requests it.

Jazzimus Prime fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jul 29, 2011

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
The fighter's management has been transferred.

Quadratic Wizard, please build your fighter as soon as you get a chance.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
And with that, all fighters are ready for the tournament!

The first-round schedule should be generated later tonight, at which time the betting window will be open for all first-round matches!

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

A good poster posted:

Oh man, my yeti's first match is against a kobold. That's gonna be so much fun.

But you never know just what the RNG has in store. Vox's fighter in the very first tournament was a minotaur that was killed in the first round by a gnome with a dagger.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
A snapshot of the current betting totals on each fighter as of July 30 2011, 1:00 AM PDT:

and now that I've perfected the SQL for this particular chart, perhaps I should add a page to the site that calculates it up to the minute

goatface posted:

Why is my entrant fighting Goatie's entrant?

This is clear anti-goat-based-name bias.

You can blame the RNG invoked by PHP on the ArenaChallenge site for that; it was entirely randomly generated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

Krysmphoenix posted:

Cool. Yeah, a page devoted to just quickly seeing where the total bets are and whose in favor (maybe bold that gladiator's name?) would be awesome.

Vox Nihili posted:

Ya, I have to agree on this. Otherwise we reward the three people who have the patience to check the totals on each and every fight and bet 1 buck on all the empty spots across from big bets.

Sure, I'll have it ready sometime Saturday. I think that place_bet.php would be the obvious place to put it... I'm thinking something like the current http://arenachallenge.com/dwarffort/place_bet.php?4 but instead of each fight being its own link, the chart would show the totals for each fighter and the link ("Bet On This Match") over to the side of each.

Goatie posted:

Also, would it be possible to make fighter's species more easily viewable? It would be more convenient than clicking on the individual fighter's names.

Sure, I'll set it so you can float the mouse cursor over each fighter to see the name and owner (I've already done that elsewhere on the site and can just reuse the code). Should also be ready sometime Saturday.

• Locked thread