Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
I figure you guys want a good laugh, so check out what's apparently Hillary Clinton's official presidential campaign logo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

What's wrong with it?

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow

Ferrule posted:

You can have a lively font that isn't ca-razy.

This one, aside from speaking "mexican restaurant" and "children's birthday party pizzeria", does nothing to say "Nutritionist."

You can still be fun with type but this doesn't make me take them seriously at all.

I'm going to bring these concerns up with her and see where things go. Changing the font is a piece of cake with how I set up the layers, same goes for the color.

As for the brushed circle not being perfectly round, I think that's because of how I made it two-colored. A circled stroke that had half of it deleted, and reflected. I'm wondering if the effect might be more even if I instead used a whole circle and simply used the cut tool to separate it into two halves.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Fayez Butts posted:

What's wrong with it?

The most prominent element of the logo of a Democratic presidential candidate is a red arrow pointing to the right.

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip

I still like this one the best. Try "bolding" STOP and BOTTLED. I suspect it will gently caress with the balance but those are the key words that should stand out, imo, so I'd give it a shot.

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip

Arthil posted:

So I've been working with my first real client, and it's been shockingly pleasant so far. I know I'm in for a world of hurt with others in my future.

Point being, we're nearing the end of the design process. They're very happy with this design, and the only thing they truly were uncertain about was the font before I presented them with this. I guess what I really need is some critique which might refine the design. If anyone was wondering, they are a nutritionist and will be using the logo on their website.

This is more than you asked for but:

- very busy
- very flat
- what's the significance of the triangle the fork is stabbing?
- likewise, what's the significance of the circle around it, why does it have a dry brush effect, why is it two colors?
- red/green is very difficult to read. if you look at the website they use a brighter red and a lime green, with yellow, white, and grey to balance all of it.
- font is hard to read, pretty unprofessional, and will scale poorly.
- the style of the logo doesn't say "food" to me
- the level of detail in the state outline is distracting

tldr: simplify simplify

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

Yip Yips posted:

This is more than you asked for but:

- very busy
- very flat
- what's the significance of the triangle the fork is stabbing?
- likewise, what's the significance of the circle around it, why does it have a dry brush effect, why is it two colors?
- red/green is very difficult to read. if you look at the website they use a brighter red and a lime green, with yellow, white, and grey to balance all of it.
- font is hard to read, pretty unprofessional, and will scale poorly.
- the style of the logo doesn't say "food" to me
- the level of detail in the state outline is distracting

tldr: simplify simplify

The triangle is actually the overall shape that the three areas within the state she works in makes. To be specific, she's going to use this in regards to recommendations for restaurants in the Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill area. I think I agree on it being odd that the circle is two colors, it just never occurred to me to try it as one color. As for the colors, I think lacking the white/grey to help balance it is what made the original change to her website colors feel far too bright. The entire reason for the circle was to represent a stylized plate, she didn't like more simple flat lines but loved the brush effect.

Overall I'm going to suggest that I revise things to have the brush effect be one color, change the font to something less wild and try to work out how to balance the colors better and also simplify the state outline. The colors are going to be the most difficult part, I had thought of suggesting I use North Carolina state colors but that might just might come off too patriotic for what she wants as it's red/blue/white.

I'm just wondering if there's a more gentle way of telling her the combination of font and colors makes it look like something for a Mexican restaurant.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Fayez Butts posted:

What's wrong with it?

It's just an "italics" button away from a turn of the century discount HVAC repair service truck.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

Yip Yips posted:

I still like this one the best. Try "bolding" STOP and BOTTLED. I suspect it will gently caress with the balance but those are the key words that should stand out, imo, so I'd give it a shot.

poo poo, that is the bold weight for Bebas Neue, and there's no extra-bold. I could trying dropping the weight on the others.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

Excellent! My client is actually very welcome to the suggestions on the font and colors.

I worked out a simple example for her using the lime green of her website, and another using a red of a similar brightness(Though the more I stare at it the more pink I see). We'll probably end up using a green of some kind as I'm sure she'll want the health angle to be put across in the logo. She actually went into a little more detail as well, the logo is for a completely separate website which will be linked with the current one she has.

These are far from final, although I personally like this font better. I'm going to suggest making the brush stroke one single color as well.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

That green and orange one is miles better, but the fork is now nearly impossible to see. The circle still isn't round either.

Still, a massive improvement. I wonder if getting rid of the circle entirely, and simplifying the shape of the state to make that the main element wouldn't make the whole thing a lot less busy though.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

I did notice the poor fork just gets lost in all that bright, cheery color. I recreated the state shape, and while I put aside the circle idea I'm experimenting with a couple of things.

Now my first concern here is that another shade of green might lean the logo too far towards a nature theme, but I think especially the right shape says "plate" better than what I had going before.

Edit:

I actually went back and did a little fiddling around.

Now that brush stroke might not ever be a 100% perfect circle just by the nature of it being a brush stroke, but I think the one on the right is pretty drat close. I've asked her what sort of background color the website this will be used on will have, along with anything else she may use it for although she said it was only for the website.

Arthil fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Apr 14, 2015

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

So here's the next set, playing with different font weights and sizes:

Edit: I've tossed them into an imgur album to make it easier to compare: https://imgur.com/a/wjI2E

I hope other people are getting something out of my crash course in Typography 101 here, because I don't want to take over the thread.

Also:

Sentient Data posted:

I figure you guys want a good laugh, so check out what's apparently Hillary Clinton's official presidential campaign logo

You guys might enjoy this then: http://www.vox.com/2015/4/14/8411247/how-graphic-designers-would-revamp-the-hillary-logo

Stuporstar fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Apr 14, 2015

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip

Sorry, what I meant by "bolding" was the white on black. Still, I think this one has potential. Wondering what Fayez's thoughts are. Too many different font sizes? I can't tell anymore.

It almost has a gradient effect which is a bit charming.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Yip Yips posted:

Sorry, what I meant by "bolding" was the white on black. Still, I think this one has potential. Wondering what Fayez's thoughts are. Too many different font sizes? I can't tell anymore.

It almost has a gradient effect which is a bit charming.

Oh, I get it. So something like this:

I kept the different font weights, though I rearranged them a bit to balance the design.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

This. Stick with this for the typography and emphasis.

I'd really go with that blue. Maybe experiment with different and lighter shades of blue.

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip

Stuporstar posted:

Oh, I get it. So something like this:

I kept the different font weights, though I rearranged them a bit to balance the design.

Yeah, that's kind of throwing it off. Was just a thought.

I don't care much for that blue personally. If this is going onto a water bottle have you experimented with actually cutting out letters? Not sure what you're doing this for so that might be too much trouble for you.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Yip Yips posted:

Yeah, that's kind of throwing it off. Was just a thought.

I don't care much for that blue personally. If this is going onto a water bottle have you experimented with actually cutting out letters? Not sure what you're doing this for so that might be too much trouble for you.

Yeah, I've just been trying every suggestion you guys make to see what it looks like. It does throw off the balance. By cutting out letters, do you mean printing them and pasting them to a physical water bottle?

Young Freud posted:

This. Stick with this for the typography and emphasis.

I'd really go with that blue. Maybe experiment with different and lighter shades of blue.

I think you're right. I do like the design with the black bands at the top and the bottom (the one Yip Yips likes), but the blue rectangle on the bottom two lines better matches the concept. I've been playing a bit with font weight and leading though, because the original one you quoted still feels too cramped to me:

This one puts Yip Yips' suggestions into play:

And this one retains the same type balance as the original with only the leading increased:

I have yet to play with different shades of blue, since I want to get the text balance right first. Another thing I have to keep in mind is how different the blue will look when printed. That's probably something I will need to do—print it out in different shades and paste them onto a bottle to get a better idea of what it'll actually look like.

Edit: I've updated the imgur album so all the blue ones are clustered together to make comparing them easier.

Stuporstar fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Apr 15, 2015

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

I know this might be getting a little off topic, but... what's the point? I get that the message is "stop drinking bottled water", but to what end? Are you trying to get people to drink municipal? Only your brand? Some flavored juice/drink? Is it just some deliberately ironic art project to have it printed on water bottles? I'm not trying to be sarcastic or anything, I just feel like the whole concept might be barking up the wrong tree (though I realize that's more of a branding discussion than design)

Sentient Data fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Apr 16, 2015

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Sentient Data posted:

I know this might be getting a little off topic, but... what's the point? I get that the message is "stop drinking bottled water", but to what end? Are you trying to get people to drink municipal? Only your brand? Some flavored juice/drink? Is it just some deliberately ironic art project to have it printed on water bottles? I'm not trying to be sarcastic or anything, I just feel like the whole concept might be barking up the wrong tree (though I realize that's more of a branding discussion than design)

Yeah, it's a deliberately ironic art project to print on water bottles. Really, I'm just trying to learn how to not suck at design.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Simple enough, then. If you haven't yet announced the project and if it's somewhere with vending machines (like a college), you should see if you can get into the good graces of the person stocking the machine. Slip him a $20 to let you slap stickers of the design on some random water bottles to get some buzz around your guerrilla art. You might even make some local headlines if you let it be a mystery for a week or so - if so, you could turn that into a resume booster

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Sentient Data posted:

Simple enough, then. If you haven't yet announced the project and if it's somewhere with vending machines (like a college), you should see if you can get into the good graces of the person stocking the machine. Slip him a $20 to let you slap stickers of the design on some random water bottles to get some buzz around your guerrilla art. You might even make some local headlines if you let it be a mystery for a week or so - if so, you could turn that into a resume booster

I've only told a couple friends about the project so far, and nothing's finalized yet. I was going to place the bottles around the city. I don't have ready access to a vending machine, but I'll look into that because a machine full of them would make an awesome photo.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

The client liked the changes, I appreciate all the critique and suggestions. Especially about making the outline of the state more simple and trying to get the brush stroke to be more circular.

OmanyteJackson
Mar 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Just started at a new job, they started a logo redesign contest the day i was hired so I gave it a shot.

This is what I submitted:

How bad did i gently caress up?

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Your text is a bit stretched and the I can't tell what the image on the left is. But hey! It doesn't have any gradients or stroked type which is great in my eyes.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

That's a weird size ratio between graphic and text

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Bogan Krkic posted:

That's a weird size ratio between graphic and text

In case this comment doesn't make sense, just remember that most of the time you'll end up seeing the logo at a size that more closely resembles this

e: Ignore the black, apparently irfanview doesn't preserve the alpha channel by default

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

You're on the right track. I would go with the red and orange instead of the green. Red stimulates appetite and all that. I get something of a barbecue sauce vibe from the brush stroke circle, which is good. I agree that there's no need for two colors in the circle.

The one thing that bugs me the most is the triangle underneath the fork. The rest of the logo is comprised of organic shapes and the one geometric shape looks really out of place. When I cut a piece of steak or whatever, I don't ever have a perfectly straight edge; there's more texture in the edges. I'd suggest either add some imperfections on the shape or, alternatively, making it the shape of Raleigh.

Also, move "Around Raleigh" off of the state. It's too hard to read.

Check the letter spacing between "Eatin'" and "Right", too; they look too close together.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

OmanyteJackson posted:

Just started at a new job, they started a logo redesign contest the day i was hired so I gave it a shot.

This is what I submitted:

How bad did i gently caress up?

I don't understand what this is. Is it supposed to be a P? A pole jumper? Or I guess most likely, just an abstract shape? Abstract shapes make great logos, obviously, but something seems off about this. I'm not being very academic, but I keep looking at it trying to assemble some kind of image that is likely not there. Maybe it needs more symmetry? I'm not sure. I sort of make an association with the Cubs logo and expect to see a letter inside I guess.

But anyway, more critically, you have to start over with the actual text. You should not alter the proportions of a typeface under any circumstances. They are designed the way they are for a reason. You also need to choose new fonts. Impact is now pretty much squarely in the Comic Sans and Papyrus tier of "I don't know what I'm doing" fonts. Times New Roman is the "I couldn't bother to choose a font" typeface. Try working with fonts that don't come installed automatically with Windows 98.

Also, all of the shapes have rounded edges except for the portion where you insert the text. You can't do that. I don't even think you should include the text within the shape.

OmanyteJackson
Mar 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Burger Trench posted:

I don't understand what this is. Is it supposed to be a P? A pole jumper? Or I guess most likely, just an abstract shape? Abstract shapes make great logos, obviously, but something seems off about this. I'm not being very academic, but I keep looking at it trying to assemble some kind of image that is likely not there. Maybe it needs more symmetry? I'm not sure. I sort of make an association with the Cubs logo and expect to see a letter inside I guess.

But anyway, more critically, you have to start over with the actual text. You should not alter the proportions of a typeface under any circumstances. They are designed the way they are for a reason. You also need to choose new fonts. Impact is now pretty much squarely in the Comic Sans and Papyrus tier of "I don't know what I'm doing" fonts. Times New Roman is the "I couldn't bother to choose a font" typeface. Try working with fonts that don't come installed automatically with Windows 98.

Also, all of the shapes have rounded edges except for the portion where you insert the text. You can't do that. I don't even think you should include the text within the shape.

Well the Idea was it's supposed to be a "P", the company Pole to Win International was founded in Nagoya so i took some inspiration from Nagoya's flag since it has a really organic flow to it. The font choice I have no excuse for, i really haven't developed an eye for good font selection and I will gladly take any advice on how to pick a good one.

fyi this is the companies current logo:

So you can see why they'd want to change it.

...actually looking at them side by side mine is objectively worse. :negative:

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
The one they have is terrible. Looks like Poletown from a distance.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Yeah their logo is horrible. What is Pole to Win anyway?

Using the Nagoya flag for inspiration is an intriguing idea, but it seems like you sort of went halfway between evoking the flag and actually making a P. In the end, it looks like neither. Using those same shapes to make a P could maybe work if it was more clearly a P and the relationship to the flag was more incidental. I mean, maybe, idk, I'd have to see it in action, heh.

My best advice for finding fonts is to just start by not using system fonts. Google a list of designer's favorite fonts or something and try a few of them out and see which one "feels" best. That's probably my best advice for the short-term. Long-term, start looking at every piece of design you encounter and figure out what the font communicates. Odds are, you can tell right away what is professionally done and what isn't. When something looks cheaply or shoddily designed, figure out why you feel that way. Similarly, when you see something that looks good, figure that out, too.

Also, of course, do your homework and read books about it and etc etc.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

I know I am not as experienced as many around here, but just my two cents in regards to the logo resembling a P.

Right from the start, I recognized it as the letter P. Stylized of course but there was no mixing it up with another letter. Maybe it's because of my own point of view, but the idea that anyone would look at it and see a random combination of two shapes is a little baffling. I feel that at a smaller size, the P shape is strong and holds up. But you have the issue of the actual text just getting completely lost at smaller sizes.

I'm also not sure what is going on with their old logo, between the horrible kerning making the name be read wrong to the random squiggles added I just can't help but feel as if someone created it in five minutes.

I've actually completed the work with my client now, looking back it may have been good to space the top lettering out slightly as suggested but overall I believe the design is sound. I did also recreate the triangle, at the request of my client in fact to better represent the geographical shape of the area encompassing Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill. It is meant for a separate website apart from the client's main site, focusing entirely on suggestions for healthy dining in their area.

I'm keeping myself busy now with a project where I am attempting to rebrand a local pizza place. Simply trying to decide on whether I should continue or move on with the idea of branding a pizza place but instead create my own. Even have a possible name or two thought up for it. Pizza Palace or perhaps Pizza King, they both give quite a few fun ideas for not only a logo but the pizza boxes/napkins/employee uniforms.

Arthil fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Apr 21, 2015

Vilgefartz
Apr 29, 2013

Good ideas 4 free
Fun Shoe
I'm been doing designs based on pop-culture (mainly game of thrones) for the last year or so and i'm starting to see an up-tick in sales and views, to the point where i've sold roughly a third of what i had sold over the entire life of my page, over the course of 2 days. Mainly because of one design. And probably because of the new game of thrones season.

It's not big money by any stretch but i'm wondering if anyone can critique my stuff so i can turn this into less of a 'oh that's cool, i'll make that' hobby and more of a wee little cash flow on the side.

I'm on http://www.redbubble.com/people/orsoni/shop

Feel free to be harsh.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Eastdrom posted:

I'm been doing designs based on pop-culture (mainly game of thrones) for the last year or so and i'm starting to see an up-tick in sales and views, to the point where i've sold roughly a third of what i had sold over the entire life of my page, over the course of 2 days. Mainly because of one design. And probably because of the new game of thrones season.

It's not big money by any stretch but i'm wondering if anyone can critique my stuff so i can turn this into less of a 'oh that's cool, i'll make that' hobby and more of a wee little cash flow on the side.

I'm on http://www.redbubble.com/people/orsoni/shop

Feel free to be harsh.

Which is the one that's selling well? The one with Jamie Lannister? Because that's a decent design and choice copy. I think the text distracts from the others instead of working with it, as well as making the characters a bit unrecognizable.

Vilgefartz
Apr 29, 2013

Good ideas 4 free
Fun Shoe

Young Freud posted:

Which is the one that's selling well? The one with Jamie Lannister? Because that's a decent design and choice copy. I think the text distracts from the others instead of working with it, as well as making the characters a bit unrecognizable.

I put that one up a few days ago and (compared to the others) its gone up very quickly in views and sales. Maybe i should re-do the others with similar text etc. The Bronn one has by far been the most successful but it's been up since the last season of GoT.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Eastdrom posted:

I put that one up a few days ago and (compared to the others) its gone up very quickly in views and sales. Maybe i should re-do the others with similar text etc. The Bronn one has by far been the most successful but it's been up since the last season of GoT.

I think the Hound one has potential, but the text needs to be more be more of a ground to offset the Hound's figure. Right now, I can barely read what it says. Maybe fade or gradient the shoulders a bit more and make the text larger (especially the "ever loving chicken" bit, which the humor is kinda lost right now).

The composition of the Bronn shirt is better, but the text is unreadable right now. I'd either make it a black. give it a thicker stroke, or put give it a dark background.

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Apr 29, 2015

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip
The text on the hound shirt is right over his face.
The straight line edges at the bottom of the illustrations are begging to be underscored by the text or something like the sansa/jamie shirts where it's blended. If not by moving the text there, there's probably better ways to "fade" out the art. The straight line just floating there is really unnatural looking.
In general the text treatments need work
Some of the dark shirt color previews are still using black ink when they should just be all white.

Juggernaut Hands
Apr 17, 2007
These Hands are Unstoppable.

Eastdrom, are those vectors of stills? They look pretty nice.

So far I don't see why the text needs to be over the figure. Consider either making the text more focal by having it interact with the figure, or moving it off to the side so each element stands out more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vilgefartz
Apr 29, 2013

Good ideas 4 free
Fun Shoe
They're just high-res images with a black & white filter, lots of contrast and taking out the white in colour range. And a bit of refining.

I think i'll delete the hound & Sansa one's because (as you said Freud) the quotes while funny/relevant at the time aren't so much any more.

And I thickened the text on Bronn and chopped up the bottom with some noise.

An artist on there sent me a message informing me that the work i'd done was infringing on copyright and though a lot of people do it it's not right.

While i'm not terrified of getting sued over the $200 or so bux i've made, it has made me think that if i'm going to try and sell designs based on existing IP's (or designs at all) that i should try and do a better job of it.

Thanks guys.

• Locked thread