Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
raging bullwinkle
Jun 15, 2011
I'd suggest picking up some books on typography. Ellen Lupton's "Thinking With Type" is a good one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raging bullwinkle
Jun 15, 2011
A good method I've found is to kern until you think you've nailed it, then look at the word in three-letter blocks. If the letters inside the blocks aren't evenly spaced, kern some more. Then look at the entire word again. It should be beautiful.

raging bullwinkle fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Nov 1, 2011

raging bullwinkle
Jun 15, 2011
Stretching and squishing numbers and letters to make them fit doesn't look very nice, and is also a bad habit to get into.

Something I'd suggest is finding graphic designers you admire (they don't have to be famous, just look around dribbble or something) and emulate the things you like. I think a lot of beginners think it's cheating to have reference points for style and such, and they try to pull everything from inside of their own head before they've put anything of value in there.

That said, it looks like you have potential and are able to incorporate feedback, so just keep working at it.

raging bullwinkle
Jun 15, 2011
Posting up another designer's work for critique is a faux pas. What matters now is not the opinions of others, but whether it fits the brief you both decided on.

Pro tip: the best way to find a designer to work with is to look at their portfolio. Do you like the work they've done in the past? If you don't, then don't hire them.

The fastest way to turn a designer's life into a living hell is to recruit strangers to critique their work into oblivion.

The client from hell posted:

My wife wants more circles.
My husband says it doesn’t hit him in the gut.
My kids say there are too many words.
My dog didn’t wag its tail.
The waiter said he’s seen something just like that in France.
I need more oopmh in it.
I’ll know it when I see it. So go back and make more.
I love what _____ did. Can you do the same, but with carrots?

• Locked thread