Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Side note, the guy at the bank who told you that putting pennies in your savings account will improve your credit rating is wrong, and also your credit will end up poo poo enough when this debt gets defaulted on that $200 in your savings account won't save you.

EDIT: You're in Canada so maybe I'm wrong, but I doubt it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

CornHolio posted:

Does this guy have some kind of history in this forum?

I think they're all friends in real life (or online and are sadly close to eachother) and have WaCkY iNsIdE jOkEs like 'pasta with sugar' and 'tuyop hosed a tranny or something'.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Berkut posted:

books are a cheap and enriching source of entertainment, or so I'm told.

Buy a Kindle! Amazon has a credit card that he could sign up for, I think you get 6% off...

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

tuyop posted:

I'm probably going to keep one or both of my credit cards even after getting out of this mess. It's comforting for me to have 15000 available if I immediately have to leave the country and never come back or something. It's not like I'm a compulsive spender, a vacation is not exactly something you just pick up from the store.

:negative:

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Ask / Tell > Business, Finance, and Careers > Tuyop: the classic gay fiction protagonist

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Don't Buy A Grow Op Month (November 2012)

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Jesus Christ you are not a professional chef you do not need a J.A. Henckels or "professional blacksmith" loving kitchen knife.

Get a Pure Komachi for $10 or SPLURGE on a Victorinox Fibrox for $25 and shut up forever.

This is your problem, again. You are a horrible gear whore. Stop wasting money on 'premium' poo poo you don't need.

You are the same guy who is martyring himself out of a microwave, but you *WANT* a fancy chef's knife, so you'll spend more on that than the microwave you won't buy.

Until you find a top of the line microwave to lust for.

This a vicious cycle.

lament.cfg fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Dec 17, 2012

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

His chronic lust for fancy poo poo will kill you some day, but hey, I'll leave it alone because he didn't do something ridiculously stupid for once.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

In the part of the post you chose to edit out, I recommended he buy a *normal* knife that fulfills his *need* for a knife to cook with as opposed to his *want* for a high-end hanzo steel.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

tuyop posted:

and toeshoes needs a road bike.

I'm sure she needs one. :allears:

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

tuyop, I understand that you're *bored* and *feel like a welfare-sucking piece of poo poo*, but you need to realize that one of those is legitimate and the other is quite likely your mental issues talking. Have you discussed this with anyone other than ToeShoes and The Internet? You're projecting a lot of feelings of a lack of self-worth into your current job situation.

Have you tried doing free online training or alternative (non-paid) education? You could use the vast resources of the internet to better yourself and feel enriched while using this time as a resource to get out of debt as quickly as possible and prepare yourself for the time when this opportunity is NOT afforded to you.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

You ARE being paid to perform a task. You are being paid to sit at your desk and complete assignments that are given to you. If you are afforded free time, you should make the best of it, as you won't have free time forever.

Your job duties have changed, that's all. Anything more is an issue best discussed with your psychologist and ToeShoes, because it's depression and self-worth issues.

Hang in there, man.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

tuyop posted:

I had a phone interview with Jesse Mecham, the creator of YNAB. I told him about finding out about YNAB through SA, so he gave me a bunch of t-shirts for goons. I already PM'd a few people, especially ones who mentioned YNAB in the GBS thread, but here are the rest.

He also gave me 50 bucks in amazon moneys but I'm spending that on books about composting my own feces so nyah.

"interview"?

Also, I claimed the 3rd one, thank you! (I'm a paying YNAB lover, feel free to PM me also if you have any questions about it).

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Sounds like you don't need $50 worth of books then!

Seriously though, you have *the internet* at your fingertips. Why waste $50 on nonfiction books about making GBS threads in a bucket?

Look!: http://humanurehandbook.com/instructions.html From the guy whose book you want. For free.

You need to get this pattern in control -- Getting an idea and wanting to drop a bunch of cash on it immediately.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

tuyop posted:

Also, following my read of I Will Teach You To Be Rich, I automated my finances like this:

All the debt payments are automated for March and April, and the stuff in the lower right is automatically paid from the CC when it's due. If it works, it will be nice and effective and elegant and I can stop checking Mint four times a day.

This is loving excellent. Good on you for getting your poo poo in order.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Ask / Tell > Business, Finance, and Careers > Tuyop's in Deep poo poo Now

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Walmart Pizza is not going to turn into good fertilizer.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

April Fools for the love of god let it be April Fools

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

You don't need any of that poo poo. Just a clarification. You want it.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

tuyop I saw you posting in the bike thread; if you want actual advice on parts/etc that doesn't come from the '$1300 entry-level bike' perspective feel free to PM me.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

https://www.sheldonbrown.com -- read every page, enjoy!

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

What was wrong with your FD in the first place?

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

tuyop posted:

Every gear in the front was causing the chain to rub against the derailleur. Tightening the H and L screws didn't fix this problem, and I think I torqued too hard on the shifter and hosed up its indexing or something, and then it just kind of fell apart in my hands like one of those styrofoam airplanes.

Calm down, slow down, and take it from the beginning. Watch some "How to install an FD" videos on youtube, and get the FD remounted.

This isn't "a $250 mistake". Don't be defeatist. People install bikes from the ground up every single day, putting your FD back on is not an impossible task.

There's not much to an FD, and unless you physically broke a metal piece, you didn't ruin it. It's just disassembled.

Don't worry if it doesn't work right yet, just get it back on. From there you can work on fixing the original issue.

Edit: Why did you detach the handlebars to fix the FD :psyduck:

Edit2: I see now, you maybe broke the shifter. Take this to the Bike thread, I've got no idea how to fix that.

lament.cfg fucked around with this message at 16:43 on May 17, 2013

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

I have a spare parts bike in my garage, pretty sure I have a 3-speed FD shifter if you want it for the cost of shipping. (If yours is broke.) (Ask the Bike thread, add some close-up photos of the parts)

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Me in Reverse posted:

This is your problem, again. You are a horrible gear whore. Stop wasting money on 'premium' poo poo you don't need.

You are the same guy who is martyring himself out of a microwave, but you *WANT* a fancy chef's knife, so you'll spend more on that than the microwave you won't buy.

This a vicious cycle.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

quote:

Blah blah blah :words: and justification bullshit

The point that everyone is making is if you feel like "I'm living in a ditch for a month so that means I have an extra $825, I should spend it on a laptop!" instead of "I'm living in a ditch for a month so that means I have an extra $825, I should spend it on [shelter, debt repayment, savings]!" which is loving stupid.

Self-quoting as always:

Me in Reverse posted:

This a vicious cycle.

You keep doing this poo poo. You're *toughing it out* and not having a place to live like a normal loving human, but you'll spend that money on a laptop BECAUSE you're ~toughing it out~ and ~deserve something to make that better~.

NOBODY here would be giving you poo poo for blowing your budget on a temporary residence until you move. Your priorities are hosed, that's the issue.

lament.cfg fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Jul 8, 2013

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

A cheap Android tablet will be a piece of poo poo, absolutely not worth a lousy fee-laden checking account.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Didn't you spend $200 on a bike and break it immediately? What was the other $450?

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

1) Congratulations!

2) I think this was brought up a long time ago, but did you ever speak to anyone about possible depression? That 'enough' problem sounds like a symptom to me.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

I'm going to semi play Devil's Advocate and semi get clarification on this subject.

You had the *option* to receive free rent, but that required you to be in Gagetown (hospitalized and supervised?).

You had the alternative option to be in Ontario, with no financial support.

You picked B.

The value of the rent in that period is approximately $18k, and you could possibly now file a grievance to receive it?

I'm not sure that that'd pass muster, unless I'm missing information.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Just a general 'budgeting' comment, but you should probably kill "Misc Goods" and categorize those purchases better -- household goods? toys? webcams? basil? what did you actually spend on? $400 is a decent enough chunk to no longer be 'misc'.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

tuyop posted:

This month we used savings and a bit of that 3100 budget balance. Including the car payment as debt. Now that the student loan is gone, I think I'm saving to "Emergency fund" (maybe buffer is better?) to make that lump-sum payment to my car loan. So in the debt chart I post each month, it'll look like a large increase in savings and then a sudden decrease in savings and debt.

If we're talking 'YNAB Buffer' when you say buffer, no. Your buffer and your emergency savings should be separate entities, because they're two separate goals. The point of the buffer is to start living off of last month's income rather than paycheck to paycheck. Your emergency funds, ideally, shouldn't impact your buffer. The buffer is a 'lifestyle' type thing, emergency funds are for emergencies.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

'I want to go a year without a smartphone just because'

But you want to buy an iPod Touch. And a Macbook Air.

Me in Reverse posted:

This a vicious cycle.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

You can buy a Google Nexus 4 for $249, no contract. Shop around for a good monthly service plan, no contract, and use WiFi as much as you like to reduce the cost of the service. That'd be a rational approach to solving your 'handheld device' issue.

But that's basically an aside to the point I was making -- you have very irrational thought processes in regards to wants/needs. You do things like "I don't want a smartphone just because" while simultaneously wanting an iPod Touch, which is essentially a smartphone.

You obviously have a ~computer~, have you really addressed if you actually need a ~laptop~? What's your degree going to be in, again, education? Do you actually need to have a computer in front of your face during class? Hundreds of thousands of people go to class ever day with a pen and paper, if that's all you require then you'd be wasting money on any laptop.

But if you do need a laptop, or hell, just want one (I own a laptop that I just want, because it's a nice thing to have), buy a reasonably priced laptop that serves the purpose of what you want to do with it. You can buy an average mid-level laptop that'll handle web browsing, MSWord, even Netflix, for a few hundred dollars. A Macbook Air is where you fall into the trap of ~needing~ the coolest, most extravagant thing in the market. You don't need an MBA.

Random aside: I don't remember if it was you or someone else who brought up your back injury in relation to buying the lightweight MBA. Jesus loving christ, though, that's ridiculous. An MBA versus another laptop is a two-three pound difference, not a sack of bricks.

Check out Lenovo, check out Dell. They sell reasonably priced, reasonably attractive, completely suitable laptops. You don't need an MBA and you don't have to force yourself into buying a 10 year old ugly Thinkpad. You're allowed to want something nice, within reason.

Final Random Aside: When I was in school all the kids with the Mac laptops constantly had issues with Word documents and Powerpoints, and it was loving annoying.

Edit: Foodchat: Go get your loving crockpot! They're great and might even save a few bucks off the grocery bill if you use it enough. What kind of knife did you end up buying? I agree that a chef's knife is basically mandatory for anyone who cooks, but my original problem was you wanted a Henckels or a blacksmith-forged hanzo steel :colbert:

lament.cfg fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Sep 6, 2013

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

You can combine the cell phone and iPod touch into a Nexus 4 or something similar. That's what my suggestion was. It's not the 100% bare-bones most inexpensive solution, but it's a reasonable compromise that gets you a realistic solution to your problems. You're a grown-up with a good income, you can afford things like this if you make good decisions.

And nobody is saying "lovely netbook". You can have a 13-15" Dell or Lenovo or something that looks good and is an i3 with 4+GB of RAM for a few hundred dollars. You'll never need more than that unless you're looking to buy a gaming machine, which a Macbook Air isn't anyway.

Check it out: Dell Inspiron, 14", i3, 4GB RAM, and it even has an SSD. $550. That's less than half of what you'll spend on an MBA.

You are still stuck acting like it's everything or nothing instead of finding responsible reasonable solutions to your problems.

Nice buy on the Lamson Sharp knife! A German Santoku is sacrilege, though :colbert:

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

I thought the same thing. He means a roasting pan, though. I doubt tuyop can burn down the house with a pan --- gently caress, now I've jinxed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

We need a new financially irresponsible shithead in BFC because the nitpicking is getting a little outrageous.

I'm as guilty as the rest of you.

A $70 older model iPod will suit you just fine, so long as you don't "get tired" of it being "slow" in a few months and want to upgrade. It'll check email and the internet just fine. Enjoy.

poo poo happens, people get disorganized, and it was the first day. Cut him some slack, people, rather than :words:ing several paragraphs about how lovely tuyop is and giving unrealistic 'should have's.

lament.cfg fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Sep 11, 2013

• Locked thread