Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

CornHolio posted:

I know I don't speak for everybody but I'd rather be poor than full of bullet holes.

Yeah, but this is the Canadian infantry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

Zeta Taskforce posted:

Serious post: Yeah I had the same thought, but in Afghanistan they have served with distinction and with heavy causalities. Most of the countries in the coalition are there for window dressing, but the Canadians have been sent to the most dangerous areas, took the worst assignments, and in true Canadian fashion, they went there politely and without complaining. :canada:

I actually knew most of this and chose to post anyway.. because it's Canada.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

tuyop posted:

If we bike, we need to get toeshoes a bike (~300 for a used commuter), tires for both of us (60), lights (~200), and pieces of winter gear that we might need (100-???). I've considered the clothing thing. I can probably make do with most of the stuff I have. I just need ski goggles and maybe a heavier toque. Toeshoes needs gloves and a heavier technical cold weather coat. The savings would be disgusting if we survive the winter, though.

I'm a pretty hardcore biker, and I think this is a terrible idea. The savings will be just as good if you drive this Winter then bike next Spring/Summer/Fall.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

It depends on what you want to do with it, but I strongly disagree with what everyone is saying here. Buying a used BUSINESS class (not from a business, necessarily, but the manufacturer's business line) laptop is a great idea. If you buy something from a business line, it's ugly but dependable. The only reason this doesn't make sense is if you're looking to play games and stuff on it, since business laptops generally don't have a discreet video card.

Those $400 laptops from Best Buy and the like are cheap pieces of garbage that fall apart.

SA Mart sells a lot of decent ones, including from this guy. A Thinkpad (extremely durable business class laptop) with a T9300 Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz, 4gb of RAM and a 9 cell battery for $175? That sounds reasonable to me.

I bought a laptop from SA mart for $200 over a year ago. It is ugly as hell, but it's extremely light, the battery lasts 6 hours and it does everything I need it to do. If you're just looking for something to carry around and go on the internet/play videos/etc, no reason to get something new.

Grumpwagon fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Oct 19, 2012

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

Fuschia tude posted:

I think the best thing for Tuyop to do at this point is to ask in the laptop buying thread for advice about his specific needs. Sorry guys, BFC may know a lot about personal finance broadly, but getting the best value in computers... not so much.

Because clearly, if someone posts in BFC, that person cannot know anything about computers.

I don't think it's a bad idea for him to post/look in that thread, but realistically, his budget should be very low. If he wants a computer that will work and won't fall apart, I'm not sure there are better options.

Also, reading the OP and the last few pages of the thread, Lenovo's business line comes up plenty as a recommendation (when people aren't looking for gaming computers), so unless you have some specific problem with the advice I'm giving (and if you do, please say so, instead of just saying "BFC doesn't know anything about laptops"), I'm not sure what your point is.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

bam thwok posted:

Hope you've got a more complete version of this somewhere that accounts for your full financial picture.

If you want to, throw everything you've got into a google doc and I'd be happy to make something a bit less confusing out of it.

Seems a bit premature. If he wants to focus on debt, who really cares that his car is worth $9k or whatever?

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

SA Mart often has used laptops for sale. I bought a $200 HP 3 years ago, and it still works great. 8 hour battery life, quite light, and does everything I need (and I'm a software developer). It is ugly, but I'm not willing to pay $1000 for pretty.

Secondly, the point you're making about minimalism = buying premium stuff makes SOME sense. It is better to buy good stuff that lasts for 5 years than crappy stuff that lasts for 1. The thing is, Apple isn't the only company who makes good laptops. If you look for something from a business line (not a consumer class) from a reputable place, especially used, you can get a great computer for much less money. It just might be ugly.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

I mean, you're still making huge forward progress, and your only remaining debt is very low interest, so good job.

That being said, spending $3700 in a month seems like a lot. Following that up with 2 more high spending months seems a bit like putting the reward cart before the debt payoff horse. It's nitpicking compared to where you were at the start of the thread, but still..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

Congrats!

I followed the thread from the beginning, and if someone told me I'd be learning lessons from you about happiness and frugality, I would have been shocked.

Now start planning to go retire to the shitbucket-equipped yurt of your dreams!

• Locked thread